Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Unlimited Bear Works, make it happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wait they didn't cut Hayama and Kurokiba stopping what they were doing to go up and try to peek at Soma's dish behind his back, did they?

E: This series actually has a shitload of Fate references, doesn't it? We have Shirou, Saber, Shirou's about to rematch Archer right now, what else is there?
Leonora's entire design, I'd say. She's even shares voice with Irisviel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I can't wait for Soma to challenge Shirou to a cooking fight.

The Judges are Saber, Taiga and the Old Man who always show up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no matter how tedious this arc may be, it will all be worth it when dojima does bear reactions

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hayama's dish is a Rapier. Kurokiba's is a greatsword. Souma decided to bring out a rubber sword with a hidden blade inside it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So what you're saying is that Souma is The Joker to Hayama's Batman and Kurokiba's Green Lantern.

Complete with cartoon gun that pops out a flag that says "BANG!" on it, that gets launched like a crossbow bolt into someone's face.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So what you're saying is that Souma is The Joker to Hayama's Batman and Kurokiba's Green Lantern.

Complete with cartoon gun that pops out a flag that says "BANG!" on it, that gets launched like a crossbow bolt into someone's face.

This is ... accurate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xelkelvos posted:

Hayama's dish is a Rapier. Kurokiba's is a greatsword. Souma decided to bring out a rubber sword with a hidden blade inside it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8wBfDtZkE

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Hm... could it be possible for the second season to go into the Stagiare arc? (Or at least the first part of it at any rate.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Hm... could it be possible for the second season to go into the Stagiare arc? (Or at least the first part of it at any rate.)

It will be starting and finishing it, odds are very good the season ends on Soma as he gets back to Polar Star.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It will be starting and finishing it, odds are very good the season ends on Soma as he gets back to Polar Star.

Excellent! It was one of my favorite arcs, and that explains a couple things about the end credits for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In the ED, just before the pan shot of the flowers on the dish, it shows Souma and Shinomiya standing back-to-back, I think that's maybe a hint that the last scene of this season will be Souma rolling up on Shino's Tokyo. edit: beaten

edit edit: Doing a little manga math: Ep 9 of the anime that just aired covered to the end of 101, Souma arrives at Shino's Tokyo at the end of 109. Given the pace of the second season thus far, I do not think it's unreasonable to see up to that point in the Stagiare arc by the end of the 13th and final episode.

(I do think they might be going a little *too* fast. One scene I expected to show up in the most recent episode was to have Hayama and Kurokiba hovering towards Souma's side of the kitchen trying to figure him out, only to tell him off and to mind his own business despite being the ones being nosy.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 28, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In the ED, just before the pan shot of the flowers on the dish, it shows Souma and Shinomiya standing back-to-back, I think that's maybe a hint that the last scene of this season will be Souma rolling up on Shino's Tokyo. edit: beaten

edit edit: Doing a little manga math: Ep 9 of the anime that just aired covered to the end of 101, Souma arrives at Shino's Tokyo at the end of 109. Given the pace of the second season thus far, I do not think it's unreasonable to see up to that point in the Stagiare arc by the end of the 13th and final episode.

(I do think they might be going a little *too* fast. One scene I expected to show up in the most recent episode was to have Hayama and Kurokiba hovering towards Souma's side of the kitchen trying to figure him out, only to tell him off and to mind his own business despite being the ones being nosy.)

Why did they cut that out, that's the best part of the match :(

I'm worried about how they'll pace out Stagiere, at most they have ~2.5 episodes to do an entire arc, it's hard not to imagine it being extremely rushed.

E: One thing Tsukuda said about the Autumn Elections was that a main focus of it was to change how the general student body and Erina view Soma's cooking skills. The former's really obviously shown in the finals, but the latter has some subtlety to it (I think she's the only first year that doesn't question anything about what Soma's making there? I'd have to look again to be 100% sure but I know Hayama, Alice, Dog and everyone involved with the preservation process do) that's actually pulled off pretty well.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 28, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mraagvpeine posted:

Has anyone here ever tried that kind of meat before?
I think Japanese people have busted tastebuds. Game meat tastes gamey, go loving figure.

Duck doesn't smell bad either but they said that too; Duck smells fine- the problem with Duck is that it's insanely greasy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I think Japanese people have busted tastebuds. Game meat tastes gamey, go loving figure.

Duck doesn't smell bad either but they said that too; Duck smells fine- the problem with Duck is that it's insanely greasy.

Japanese breeds might be weird, idk. Also it might be wild duck versus farmed duck

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

or it's a limitation of the translation?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Japanese people use cooking sake because they don't like the smell/taste of meat on their meat, they crazy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whaaaat, taste is subjective and varies by region??? has anyone told azami about this?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I haven't been paying attention to the anime too much, but this season's only 13 episodes?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Serious Frolicking posted:

whaaaat, taste is subjective and varies by region??? has anyone told azami about this?

Considering this school is supposed to prepare people for making haute cuisine for world-class establishments it is in fact, kinda stupid this isn't addressed very much.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kuroyama posted:

I haven't been paying attention to the anime too much, but this season's only 13 episodes?

Yes.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-06-28/food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma-season-2-listed-with-13-episodes/.103702

I admit to not remembering if they held off ordering the back half of season 1, or if it was 24 episodes up-front.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Uhhh so how about that OVA in November, what's it likely to be about? The first two were the ping pong game and the pool chapter?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 29, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Uhhh so how about that OVA in November, what's it likely to be about? The first two were the ping pong game and the pool chapter?

Whoa, what? Where can I see these? Or are they not officially subbed?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Whoa, what? Where can I see these? Or are they not officially subbed?

Neither one is officially available as of this time.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4kfhw9
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4mrg5h_shokugeki-no-soma-ova-2-english-fan-subtitles-click-cc_fun

I just learned the first one even existed, so thank you for that!

E: A Ping-pong OVA may or may not exist, still trying to find it, in the meantime have the transcription for a drama CD that came with Volume 11.

Aaaaaand it doesn't exist! :suicide: It looks like based on the first two the third will be some slice of life stuff though.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 29, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I fucken love this poo poo

"HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHERB BUTTAH!!!" - dude in a ridiculous bandana, shocking everyone with an ingredient sold at publix

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jerkface posted:

"HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHERB BUTTAH!!!" - dude in a ridiculous bandana, shocking everyone with an ingredient sold at publix

It's a series where people literally lose their clothes at the concept of deglazing a pan

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Americans are fairly well versed in at the least the very basics of cuisines from around the world with a little more depth in cuisines with European origins. Mind that it still varies from person to person and a significant portion of the American palette is still wowed by chain restaurant fare and anything with loads of salt and sugar

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4mrg5h_shokugeki-no-soma-ova-2-english-fan-subtitles-click-cc_fun

E: A Ping-pong OVA may or may not exist, still trying to find it, in the meantime have the transcription for a drama CD that came with Volume 11.

Aaaaaand it doesn't exist! :suicide: It looks like based on the first two the third will be some slice of life stuff though.

After watching those two OVA now I'm just shaking my fist more at what Hayama is doing in the latest chapters. :mad:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Overlord K posted:

After watching those two OVA now I'm just shaking my fist more at what Hayama is doing in the latest chapters. :mad:

There's almost certainly more to it than just what we know so far, his mannerisms and some of the stuff he says suggest he's playing all of this up at least a bit and it's almost certainly deliberate.

I like that in that OVA, not even Hishoko is sure her boss wouldn't eat a penguin. :3: Soma's a good protagonist and I like him, but it'd be nice if there was more of a chance to focus on the more interesting characters and potential interactions around him (if Hayama never meets Nao it'll be a crime).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hayama's heel turn is likely a work given how many times they repeated that his prof's seminar was "gone". You don't emphasize something like that without it being important.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I highly doubt that he's actually turning his back on his adopted mom who literally plucked him off the streets as a starving orphan in order to follow food hitler

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wow, gently caress dailymotion in the nostril with a rusty spork. That poo poo is loving unusable on my phone thanks to all the redirects and vibrating and dialog popup ads. Guess I'll just have to watch that later.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if Soma's dream will shift from taking over Yukihira's? The idea that Soma is chasing his father's shadow has been a thing for a while, and it seems difficult to resolve if he just ends up doing the same thing his dad did after whatever developments happen.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wonder if Soma's dream will shift from taking over Yukihira's? The idea that Soma is chasing his father's shadow has been a thing for a while, and it seems difficult to resolve if he just ends up doing the same thing his dad did after whatever developments happen.

In direct counter to Azami's dreams, Soma launches Yukihira's as a wildly successful diner chain, ironically indoctrinating a legion of faceless line cooks to just do random bullshit all the time just like him

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

lil' vignette with baby Rindou and baby 1st Seat Guy

http://m.mangahere.co/manga/shokugeki_no_soma/c180.2/2.html

its cute!!!1

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ok so I think this arc might end up going places.

Kuga is helping Souma as long as he goads Hayama into betting the 9th seat on this match.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bennyfranks posted:

lil' vignette with baby Rindou and baby 1st Seat Guy

http://m.mangahere.co/manga/shokugeki_no_soma/c180.2/2.html

its cute!!!1

Rindou is good.

Great.

Superb.

Not Alice-tier but drat close.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-31/voice-actress-risa-taneda-goes-on-hiatus-for-medical-treatment/.105966

Well, this is a major bummer. :( I hope she's able to make a full recovery.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Maybe explains why this season is only 13 eps. Faito~

OTOH, where the bleep is this week's chapter? Surely it's not on hiatus too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Maybe explains why this season is only 13 eps. Faito~

OTOH, where the bleep is this week's chapter? Surely it's not on hiatus too?

It'll be out tomorrow morning, scans are out on Thursdays, spoilers Wednesdays.