Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Elfgames posted:

I was confused by them thinking that beef stew is more suited to fine dining than blue plate special diner fare.

The point was that for this competition, the stew needs to be approached as if it was fine cuisine instead of a regular meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangapanda.com/shokugeki-no-soma/86/2

N-n-not bacon and mesquite !!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Eventually one of these cooking battles is going to go so over the top that it just turns into straight-out surrealist Dada.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I am ready to go to the Beef Amusement Park, take me there. :dance:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Eventually one of these cooking battles is going to go so over the top that it just turns into straight-out surrealist Dada.

It already went full JoJo earlier.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Where do I get my tickets?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Where do I get my tickets?

Nikumi probably has season passes

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mo_Steel posted:

The meatiest and therefore happiest place on earth!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mo_Steel posted:

I played that Psychonauts level already, I don't recommend it.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
This manga's notions of required ingredients for dishes constantly baffle me. Lardons (bacon), onions, mushrooms, okay, fine, I can accept that these are part of the finishing garnish for beef bourguignon - but croutons? The 'burgers must have pickles' thing was already a bit of a stretch, but is putting croutons in a beef stew actually a thing?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

This manga's notions of required ingredients for dishes constantly baffle me. Lardons (bacon), onions, mushrooms, okay, fine, I can accept that these are part of the finishing garnish for beef bourguignon - but croutons? The 'burgers must have pickles' thing was already a bit of a stretch, but is putting croutons in a beef stew actually a thing?

It's still a Japanese series, it doesn't shock me that they've got different notions of what a "Western Dish" entails.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

You're probably thinking of "croutons" as in salad croutons. Here they are likely talking about french croûton, as in a thin slice of baguette toasted and seasoned and served with soups and stews as a sop for the gravy. And yeah, a croûton is a traditional garnish with many french soups or stews. It comes from the practice of serving stews and soups in a trencher.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You're probably thinking of "croutons" as in salad croutons. Here they are likely talking about french croûton, as in a thin slice of baguette toasted and seasoned and served with soups and stews as a sop for the gravy. And yeah, a croûton is a traditional garnish with many french soups or stews. It comes from the practice of serving stews and soups in a trencher.

Oh, I didn't know that was a thing for soups besides French onion soup! Is it often used in beef stews? I don't think I've ever seen any mention of this bread garnish in boeuf bourguignon recipes.

Also, Beefyland seems like an awesome place. I can't wait for the reactions in the next chapter.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Oh, I didn't know that was a thing for soups besides French onion soup! Is it often used in beef stews? I don't think I've ever seen any mention of this bread garnish in boeuf bourguignon recipes.

Also, Beefyland seems like an awesome place. I can't wait for the reactions in the next chapter.

It's more like how one might use a bread stick or roll as a sop when eating soup or stew in general, i.e. croûtons might just be there on the table as something to eat with everything else.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You begin to suspect that your stew is a portal to the Beef Dimension.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

This was the first time I actually laughed at the explanation for what's so amazing. Oh my god, not basic barbecue technique!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

This was the first time I actually laughed at the explanation for what's so amazing. Oh my god, not basic barbecue technique!

You've clearly never been to bbq country. People will fight you over what is used in the smoke, how long its smoked, how the meat is hung, what type of meat is hung, how often its rotated, etc.

People serious about bbq take it obscenely seriously.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Also Barbeque definitely didn't originate from Texas, it started in the Caribbean with jerked meat and went from there.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is barbecue even well-known in Japan at all? Do they have American Restaurants over there that serve things that aren't burgers? If not, then yeah it probably would be a big deal for a high school student to use barbecue techniques for a stew.

Yeah I get that they're in some super-elite cooking school but also this is a manga and everything is exaggerated.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
BBQ isn't really distinctly an American thing, but Mesquite is since it only grows in Mexico and southern parts of the US.

This is one of those things that's kinda vaguely amusing with foreign views of your home. Yeah, Mesquite flavoring is bog standard stuff here, but I guess it'd be considered exotic as hell abroad since the trees grow nowhere else and Europe/Asia don't eat nearly as much meat.

You can get Mesquite honey too, but I've never tried it.

Again, if this kind of poo poo excites them I'd love to see them try Chili from cookoff championships in the US, or even just Buffalo wings or legit Cajun cooking.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

or legit Cajun cooking.
Tabasco, Tabasco everywhere.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Is barbecue even well-known in Japan at all? Do they have American Restaurants over there that serve things that aren't burgers? If not, then yeah it probably would be a big deal for a high school student to use barbecue techniques for a stew.

Yeah I get that they're in some super-elite cooking school but also this is a manga and everything is exaggerated.

I think over there its like the "grill fresh meat over coals in the center of the table" which is the Korean style. Things like mesquite and smoking meats for hours is a very non-Japanese style. Outside of "bbq country" most people think its nothing more then slathering the thick traditional sauce on some meat and calling it bbq.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is smoked meat in general largely absent from japanese cuisine, then?

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lots of smoked fish, and for some reason the tiny sushi shop run by a nice old couple near me serves smoked duck sushi.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

So is smoked meat in general largely absent from japanese cuisine, then?

This was on wikipedia

quote:

A characteristic of traditional Japanese food is the sparing use of red meat, oils and fats, and dairy products

Modern Japanese cooking is probably a much different story, plus regional varieties, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakiniku

This is what "Japanese BBQ" returns, its mostly descended from Korean BBQ styles.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
My body is ready for the meat circus/amusement park.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

jrdbnta posted:

Tabasco, Tabasco everywhere.

You misspelled "cayenne".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I could probably eat an entire dish consisting of Beef Tongue and Tripe. I assume the tongue is already skinned before arriving, but I forget if it's another all muscle tough cut like beef heart or if it's already somewhat tender.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I could probably eat an entire dish consisting of Beef Tongue and Tripe. I assume the tongue is already skinned before arriving, but I forget if it's another all muscle tough cut like beef heart or if it's already somewhat tender.

It's very tender, my father loved beef tongue and I used to cook it for him. The outer skin is very tough but the skin came away easily after cooking and the meat inside was very tender. I know it's also served skinned and cut into thin slices for Japanese barbecue, it's cooked very quickly because of the high fat content so it would have to be fairly tender.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hello, have a chapter.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ah yes, my favorite cooking technique: gently caress it just throw whatever you have left together.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Improv has always been Souma's forte.

I love he got mad at his catchphrase getting stolen. :allears:

ahahahahhahahahaha random Doujima interrupt what the gently caress

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
drat I didn't realize how awesome cooking manga could be.

For those who have a hard time waiting for the next chapter, I just got into Bambino, a series about a young college student who wants desperately to become a chef at an Italian restaurant. Less about the food, more about the brutal conditions he struggles through.

There's also Bambino Secondo, the continuation of the series.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bambino is really good! It's a lot different in tone from this (it's more about the harsh realities of working professionally in a restaurant), but it's still pretty great. Don't read Bambino Secondo.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleDonut posted:

Bambino is really good! It's a lot different in tone from this (it's more about the harsh realities of working professionally in a restaurant), but it's still pretty great. Don't read Bambino Secondo.

Why not? :confused:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

It's bad, and it makes me angry because the first was so good.

korrandark fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 26, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

korrandark posted:

It's bad, and it makes me angry because the first was so good.

No kidding, I thought that guy who used to scanlate Bambino was just exaggerating when he said Secondo was a huge slap in the face to the first until someone else started scanlating Secondo. It's really bad.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda like it so far. I mean, it does take a different route in exploring other characters but I don't really think it's any worse.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That stew makes me really want bacon more than beef itself.

As someone who really liked Bambino, Secondo is REALLY dragging its feet in terms of plot and not just because of the slow translation releases (I don't blame the scantalators though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Compendium posted:

That stew makes me really want bacon more than beef itself.

As someone who really liked Bambino, Secondo is REALLY dragging its feet in terms of plot and not just because of the slow translation releases (I don't blame the scantalators though).

That's a fair criticism. Frankly I'd like to get past all the cockteasing and see that smelly jerk Tsuchimiya get his comeuppance already.

So far my favorite arc has been the mafia one.