Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
I know that it's been hyped up forever and they keep bashing it in our faces, but that nose is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I had some decent sashimi recently, so this chapter made me crave some again. :(

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae31R4z-UAM
And the PV's out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New chapter on Weekly Shounen Jump

Hayama and Kurokiba are apparently genre blind as all gently caress. There's no better way to guarantee you lose in embarrassing fashion that saying poo poo like you're planning to ignore the main character since you're just so much better than him. Not to mention they're both just dumb as a post for believing this despite the fact that Soma got a 93 in the prelimes, beat Alice in a one-on-one contest and reached the finals as a solo participant in the first place.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 17, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chapter was put up yesterday:

http://bato.to/read/_/286562/shokugeki-no-soma_ch95_by_casanova/2

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I bet he's going to do something involving preservation or pickling.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I bet he's going to do something involving preservation or pickling.

Smoking, pickling or drying is the likely preparation. Maybe fermenting

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I bet salt is the key ingredient.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Basically he's skipping over the freshness angle entirely, which is what I was hoping he would do after all that emphasis on it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe he's making Lutefisk.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically he's skipping over the freshness angle entirely, which is what I was hoping he would do after all that emphasis on it.

:smug: You will never be able to pick out a good, fresh fish, so you will automatically fail!
:chef: Who said I need a fresh fish?
:stare: What?

It's going to be great :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Isn't making the most out of ingredients that can't reliably be obtained or kept fresh the cornerstone of a many traditional cuisines?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Paracelsus posted:

Isn't making the most out of ingredients that can't reliably be obtained or kept fresh the cornerstone of a many traditional cuisines?

It's definitely going to go with the "food of the masses" theme.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe he's making Lutefisk.

My guess is Kusaya, the Japanese equivalent. Bonus points because it smells so utterly gross that it might overpower Nose Guy's magic nose.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Paracelsus posted:

That and fermentation can add a certain kick to such dishes that fresher foods won't. One of the brilliant thjngs about people and cuisine - we'll find some way to use an ingredient so long has it hasn't slipped into outright poisonous.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Being outright poisonous never stopped people from eating pufferfish.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Being outright poisonous never stopped people from eating pufferfish.

At least once, at any rate.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Astro Nut posted:

That and fermentation can add a certain kick to such dishes that fresher foods won't. One of the brilliant thjngs about people and cuisine - we'll find some way to use an ingredient so long has it hasn't slipped into outright poisonous.

Just to put something into context: There's a certain substance that's classified as a neurotoxin, banned for use in war under the Geneva Conventions, and yet we seek it out and put it on our food because without it, it would be too boring.

That's right, Capsaicin. Found in peppers around the world. And there *is* such a thing as Capsaicin poisoning.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

And if it is, we'll either figure out how to minimize the harm of the poisons ingested (Fugu, alcohol) or get rid of it entirely (cassava).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think you guys are going a bit too far. Remember he doesn't have that much time available.

Aren't there some cooking techniques where they leave the meat preparing (I forget the right word) for a couple days beforehand?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kyte posted:

I think you guys are going a bit too far. Remember he doesn't have that much time available.

Aren't there some cooking techniques where they leave the meat preparing (I forget the right word) for a couple days beforehand?

Agreed. He's probably going to do something along the lines of dry-aging it like a steak instead. Removing moisture concentrates flavors, and causes enzymes to start to break down some of the protein into flavor compounds. And you can do it en-masse, rapidly, in a refrigerator, since it's windy and cold. I do my steaks with for four days (Thanks, Alton!) so Souma's declaration that he'll go buy his saury about four or five days before the match makes sense to me.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 24, 2014

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
He's obviously going fishing.
:colbert:

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST

Xelkelvos posted:

Smoking, pickling or drying is the likely preparation. Maybe fermenting

Given that he's asking both Ibusaki and Sakaki for help, possibly both?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

If Bizarre Foods taught me anything its that there are an insane amount of ways to preserve and improve the flavor of food, some taking years to reach its potential.

That and personal taste is a product of your environment. The local fishermen in Madagascar absolutely despise the taste of oysters but harvest and export them for insanely high prices.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
New chapter is up on Batoto. drat it, such a cliffhanger. I need to just let this series mature and then consume it in one large serving instead of these bite-sized bits we're given.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Soma finally confesses! :siren:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It seems I was right with the initial tests, but I have got no bloody idea what Soma did once he had his lightbulb moment.

I'm thinking that the edamame on the table means that he was thinking about soy sauce and therefore went to go inoculate his fish with Aspergillus oryzae and fermenting it like it was soy sauce, but otherwise, I got nothing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It seems I was right with the initial tests, but I have got no bloody idea what Soma did once he had his lightbulb moment.

I'm thinking that the edamame on the table means that he was thinking about soy sauce and therefore went to go inoculate his fish with Aspergillus oryzae and fermenting it like it was soy sauce, but otherwise, I got nothing.

It looks like he crusted it with something. Likely salt and some other things among the other preparations he did to it.

To complete the comparisons, while the other two guys brought in gleaming silver swords, Souma brought a rusted blade.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

A bit off-topic, but can you preserve food in alcohol?

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yes it's another method of pickling.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

BlitzBlast posted:

Soma finally confesses! :siren:

Shocking development!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I figure his lightbulb moment was using some kind of booze in the preserving process.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

It looks like he crusted it with something. Likely salt and some other things among the other preparations he did to it.

To complete the comparisons, while the other two guys brought in gleaming silver swords, Souma brought a rusted blade.

Which is why I'm thinking that it's mold.

If you go here: http://www.yamasa.com/english/sub4_2.html and scroll down to the second image, you'll see what soybeans look like before, and three days after the soybeans have been inoculated with koji mold.

I think it looks about the same. I feel like there may be some subtleties to the original Japanese that are lost in translation.

I reread it, the extra addition of a 'u' in 'koji' in the scanslation threw me off completely.

He's already doing the thing with the stuff. I don't know anymore.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 29, 2014

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007
For those of you interested in Soma's probable preparation method check my spoiler text. Hint that those of you thinking it has something to do with the edamame/soy are on the wrong track.

He's using a technique where the fish is fermented/cured in sake kasu (the leftover rice lees strained out when making sake) called kasuzuke. Hence why he had the eureka moment when he saw Fumio drinking sake. The fish is typically cured in salt for a day and then covered in a mixture of kasu which is also commonly seasoned with mirin, additional sake, sugar and/or other typical Japanese ingredients for 1-7ish days. The fish can then be eaten raw or grilled. Vegetables can also be preserved in this way.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The new chapter is very funny. Yall should read it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

coathat posted:

The new chapter is very funny. Yall should read it.

We would, if Casanova Scans's website weren't borked. Share a link, you tease!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We would, if Casanova Scans's website weren't borked. Share a link, you tease!

He's referring to Viz's official releases. :ssh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Allarion posted:

He's referring to Viz's official releases. :ssh:

I refuse to acknowledge that such a thing exists with such a goddamn terrible name. Seriously, how do you expect to be taken seriously if you can't loving name something well?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

And what would you call this series?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I refuse to acknowledge that such a thing exists with such a goddamn terrible name. Seriously, how do you expect to be taken seriously if you can't loving name something well?

If it makes you feel better, the full official Viz title is "Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma", it's just that the logo emphasizes the English part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shokugeki Souma and the Crazy Cooking Competition or Souma Shokugeki and the Crazy Cooking Competition depending on how the whole first name, last name thing works out.