Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

kidcoelacanth posted:

As far as I'm concerned Tadokoro is the protagonist and everyone else is secondary :colbert:

And that makes Takumi Aldini the best girl, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think we all know that Aldini is the actual tsundere love interest.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BlitzBlast posted:

I think we all know that Aldini is the actual tsundere love interest.

There is a quite large contingent of Takumi-Soma fans that produce lots and lots of fanart and erotic fanfiction. Its easily the most popular crack pairing in this series.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

kidcoelacanth posted:

As far as I'm concerned Tadokoro is the protagonist and everyone else is secondary :colbert:

Yeah, she's the true protagonist.

Soma is the genius mentor while Tadokoro is actually going to learn and grow as the series goes along. I was so glad when she was revealed to be actually competent!

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Begemot posted:

Yeah, she's the true protagonist.

Soma is the genius mentor while Tadokoro is actually going to learn and grow as the series goes along. I was so glad when she was revealed to be actually competent!

I wouldn't say Soma's a mentor character. He's growing as well, just differently. Tadokoro's got the usual progression pattern; learn new things, put them to use. Soma had a ton of knowledge crammed into his head by his dad, disguised as regular cooking advice, but it's all stuff he would never need to use while cooking in their shop, so his progression is remembering those techniques. And since he never learnt the proper names of those techniques, he'll always need someone else or some event to provide a trigger for him to remember.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
One thing I really like is that way at the beginning, we were told that the selection to get into Polar Star dorms was very strict, so everyone in there must certainly be more skilled than the average student. Then the author took the time to show every single one of them kicking rear end in the qualifiers, to the point that any one of them would have gone on to the top 8 if it wasn't for Soma.

They each even had their own fan club too. I wonder if the author/artist sketched out multiple designs for a main character before the manga started, so they just put in the rejected drafts in as sidekicks.

cammy14 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 11, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

KoB posted:

Erina is boring because everyone just talks about how great she is but they never show it. Shes dumb and boring and Alice is great and her chibi mode is adorable.

She actually was shown doing stuff earlier in the series (training camp), and she was pretty much Perfect Chef during that. Which is even more boring.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is the author's first big series so it's understandable there would be pacing issues and he's clearly writing with Erina being a major part of the plot down the line. I just don't think he realizes that no one but him is going to give a poo poo about some important main character that is front and center of promo material who takes more than 100 chapters to be properly inserted into the storyline.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's fine, it just means more Megumi.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Erina. I think it's funny whenever stuff happens to her and she gets all angry because how dare stuff happens to her and Souma is all Asterix greeting Ceasar.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shrug, Erina probably becomes way more important once Souma joins the 10.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Erina. I think it's funny whenever stuff happens to her and she gets all angry because how dare stuff happens to her and Souma is all Asterix greeting Ceasar.

Her role is basically to be the straight-man to the craziness of everyone else

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Compendium posted:

It's fine, it just means more Megumi.

Tadokoro-chan trying to realize she's been aknowledged by star chefs.

That expression way back there :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Erina because she makes Alice so much better just by existing. Alice is the best.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangapanda.com/shokugeki-no-soma/98/2

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

KittyEmpress posted:

I like Erina because she makes Alice so much better just by existing. Alice is the best.

I'd just like to repeat this, Alice and her mother are literally the best.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Alice and her mother are fun characters indeed.

Please use Batoto, it offers better resolution and doesn't slap on lovely watermarks.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 15, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

Alice and her mother are fun characters indeed.

Please use Batoto, it offers better resolution and doesn't slap on lovely watermarks.

Otoh, if someone could :filez: the Viz ones, it'd be even better since their cleaners don't wash out the details

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Soma 99 - up on Shonen Jump International

Going first? Death flag. Saying your opponent will finish third and is worthless? Death flag.

I'd have more confidence in there being a real debate as to the overall winner if it weren't for those two facts plus the fact that this is almost assuredly where the anime will stop.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Angry Grimace posted:

Soma 99 - up on Shonen Jump International

Going first? Death flag. Saying your opponent will finish third and is worthless? Death flag.

I'd have more confidence in there being a real debate as to the overall winner if it weren't for those two facts plus the fact that this is almost assuredly where the anime will stop.

Yeah but who will be second? That's the hard part.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Soylentbits posted:

Yeah but who will be second? That's the hard part.

There Can Only Be One, so, y'know. It wasn't much.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Otoh, if someone could :filez: the Viz ones, it'd be even better since their cleaners don't wash out the details

Just as a matter of comparison from chapter 98

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I have no idea if there's any centralized place to download the Viz scans, they just get dumped on 4chan every week.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So we're discussing :filez: now? There's a reader that I found last week that had them, in English, long before Casanova. Might have been Viz rips, might not.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So we're discussing :filez: now? There's a reader that I found last week that had them, in English, long before Casanova. Might have been Viz rips, might not.

It was a Viz rip, but it was taken down fairly quickly. Just subscribe to Shonen Jump. It's not that expensive.

Xelkelvos posted:

Just as a matter of comparison from chapter 98

What the heck did they do to the moon?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The perils of overfiltering. Casanova's overaggressive cleaning kills all tones in favor for more contrast.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MajorMarcus posted:

What the heck did they do to the moon?

That's no moon!

MajorMarcus posted:

It was a Viz rip, but it was taken down fairly quickly. Just subscribe to Shonen Jump. It's not that expensive.

And it's still there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kyte posted:

The perils of overfiltering. Casanova's overaggressive cleaning kills all tones in favor for more contrast.

They like that look because it makes everything pop and look more "cleaned," at the same of removing significant levels of detail. Its probably because they don't have direct scans to work with, though.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

MajorMarcus posted:

Out of curiosity, is it actually possible to read WSJ without a tablet of some sort? A way didn't seem to present itself.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Evil Thing posted:

Out of curiosity, is it actually possible to read WSJ without a tablet of some sort? A way didn't seem to present itself.

Yeah there's a browser reader but it suuuuuuucks.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Alice's mom's version of the Nakiri strip :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

This is still a manga about cooking.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They almost went full Free! but not quite.

I love how Final Fantasy that panel is because of the dumb huge sword.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Allarion posted:

This is still a manga about cooking.

Can't wait for the panel of Souma wielding some sort of gun next week.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Dexo posted:

Can't wait for the panel of Souma wielding some sort of gun next week.

Lightsaber complete with Death Star planetary taste explosion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Compendium posted:

They almost went full Free! but not quite.

I love how Final Fantasy that panel is because of the dumb huge sword.

Pretty sure that's a reference to duel between Serpico and Guts in Berserk.

Sorry for the lovely mangafox image.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kurokiba's outfit is closer to cloud's though.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Reminded me more of a much earlier scene from Berserk:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, but the swords are much closer to the Dragon-Slayer and Serpico's rapier than those in those two other examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They are reminiscent of a lot of things. Take it to tvtropes if you want to classify every visual reference.