Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Clarste posted:

So did you put apple juice in it?

I've been kind of curious as to whether these special recipes they make would be good or disgusting.

The author has slightly modified versions of the recipes in the volume releases, from what I have heard they taste pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The author has slightly modified versions of the recipes in the volume releases, from what I have heard they taste pretty good.

From what I recall, doesn't the author have a consultant who they go to for help in making sure all the food they make are possible and taste good and all that. So i'm pretty sure all the recipes they list in the collected volumes were all made by professionals.

Also, I just read the chapter and I think it's about time for Kuga to call in that favour or whatever he was talking about with the 1st seat. Since that hasn't shown up yet, I suddenly feel as if Soma won't be winning this one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't think there's any other anime with an opening and a closing theme that are both catchy as hell while not being annoying.

Thanks, you cursed it :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked both BBB's OP and ED.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thanks, you cursed it :(

I think the animation in the new opening is better at least. :shobon:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 27, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think the animation in the new opening is better at least. :shobon:

Yeah it is for the parts that aren't literally name of character + still image

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The new opening makes it feel like a fighting game

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I really hope that they put the obligatory footnote somewhere in the opening sequence:

*Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking anime.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah it is for the parts that aren't literally name of character + still image

I think those parts are cool as well. I like it when openings kind of introduce who the major characters are and when they're introduced they're shown surrounded by their specialty or by a dish they've previously cooked. Which I think is pretty neat.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

This is the best part of it though. It just goes full ridiculous for a lot of it, people attacking each other with giant kitchen implements, all the important characters appearing in shadow behind the light of the moon. It owns.

Ending is still way worse though. :(

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wonder if the recipes are collected somewhere though? Would be fun to try them out.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I really hope that they put the obligatory footnote somewhere in the opening sequence:

*Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking anime.

I was thinking the exact same! It would be great.

The new ED is awful awful awful.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Clarste posted:

So did you put apple juice in it?

I've been kind of curious as to whether these special recipes they make would be good or disgusting.

I didn't do it with apple.

I wanted to try something more normal first, to have something to compare it to. That one was just with garlic, basil, pancetta, bit of butter, shallots, green onions. Mixed egg yolk in the rice at the end after taking it away from heat, I was half following a recipie online, but it sort of reminded me of carbonarra without needing cream.

Used Arborio rice, which I never even heard of either. It's got a real nice nutty flavor out of the box. It would probably go good with apple and bacon and egg. Garlic and apple I'm not so sure about. Might have to check the manga recipe! Didn't know they actually had recipes.

It just seemed like a really useful dish, either as a side or a main course. It's a pain to make, but not too time consuming.

The stock is a pain in the butt. Used a LOT, the rice absorbs so much. You can use whatever stock you're pairing the rice with, beef for meat, chicken for chicken, seafood, etc. It ended up being a bit salty, might try low sodium stock next time I do this, or maybe dilute it?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 27, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I made apple and bacon risotto a couple weeks ago and it was really good. Maybe I'll make it again this weekend. I will post photos if I do.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I didn't do it with apple.

I wanted to try something more normal first, to have something to compare it to. That one was just with garlic, basil, pancetta, bit of butter, shallots, green onions. Mixed egg yolk in the rice at the end after taking it away from heat, I was half following a recipie online, but it sort of reminded me of carbonarra without needing cream.

Used Arborio rice, which I never even heard of either. It's got a real nice nutty flavor out of the box. It would probably go good with apple and bacon and egg. Garlic and apple I'm not so sure about. Might have to check the manga recipe! Didn't know they actually had recipes.

It just seemed like a really useful dish, either as a side or a main course. It's a pain to make, but not too time consuming.

The stock is a pain in the butt. Used a LOT, the rice absorbs so much. You can use whatever stock you're pairing the rice with, beef for meat, chicken for chicken, seafood, etc. It ended up being a bit salty, might try low sodium stock next time I do this, or maybe dilute it?

Good news, you can get the same results with a pressure cooker in about 5 minutes of active time instead of standing over a stove stirring. Just make sure you fold in anything you don't want obliterated after it comes out of the pressure cooker.

Easy reading: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-risotto-in-7-minutes/

Technical reading: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/pressure-cooked-vegetable-risotto-2/

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This should be cross posted in GWS for maximum hilarity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I remember some folks from /a/ posting the results of those recipes and I heard they turned out well. I've only seen the first two dishes though. The recipes from this and other manga with actual recipes should be posted in GWS for full reactions and hilarity though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Food Wars used to be a manga I skimmed or skipped in WSJ because it started mid-series and I didn't have the time to go back and catch up. Somewhere around the start of the Staggiare arc I started reading it fully and enjoying it even though I didn't know it that well. Now, between the current arc and my watching the anime, I'm completely hooked and so excited to see what's new each week both in the current arcs in the manga and catching up little by little through the anime. I was hype when Shino showed up in the anime since I'd seen him and their fight referenced in the Staggiare arc, so the experiences complement each other. It's a fun if weird way to enjoy a great series.

Also seconding the bitter disappointment at the OP/ED changing after such a short run, god drat they were good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Saw the anime for the first time. It amuses me that Doujima is being played by Koyasu Takehito. It is a bit disappointing to see him reined in, relatively speaking, though. =D

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Soma is absolutely an arrogant jerk, and I don't really see the difference between him and most of his rivals. Which isn't really a problem because most of his rivals are shown to be good people too (Soma and Seafood Man react to their loss in the finals in pretty much the exact same way). Only Erina and her posse have really been jerks so far, and the posse has been bleeding off over time.

The message is that confidence is perfectly fine as long as you've earned it.

Soma is a cocky jerk because hes confident in himself and even if he loses, he doesnt see it as a bad thing necessarily. Hes not afraid to fail.

Failure is the basis of how he learned to cook, which is the complete opposite to Tootsuki.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Saw the anime for the first time. It amuses me that Doujima is being played by Koyasu Takehito. It is a bit disappointing to see him reined in, relatively speaking, though. =D

On the other hand, CABBAGE PIIINK!!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KoB posted:

Soma is a cocky jerk because hes confident in himself and even if he loses, he doesnt see it as a bad thing necessarily. Hes not afraid to fail.

Failure is the basis of how he learned to cook, which is the complete opposite to Tootsuki.

Plus, whereas every time he wins/loses his response is "That was great, lets do this again! Your food is awesome" and all the other elite cooks spit on the loser and mock them for the attempt and tell them to give up cooking.

It sort of creates a mentality where the Elite 10 are poised to freak the gently caress out as Soma starts decimating their ranks because their entire cooking experience/life has been "you fail once YOU ARE A FAILURE FOREVER"

The Yugioh kid keeps harassing and badgering Soma to just quit and give up, probably because of the belief that "if you can't 100% win then its worthless to try". Someone like that would never dare to challenge a grad like Shinomiya to a cook-off for whatever reason because they would never expect to win.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

pentyne posted:

Plus, whereas every time he wins/loses his response is "That was great, lets do this again! Your food is awesome" and all the other elite cooks spit on the loser and mock them for the attempt and tell them to give up cooking.

It sort of creates a mentality where the Elite 10 are poised to freak the gently caress out as Soma starts decimating their ranks because their entire cooking experience/life has been "you fail once YOU ARE A FAILURE FOREVER"

The Yugioh kid keeps harassing and badgering Soma to just quit and give up, probably because of the belief that "if you can't 100% win then its worthless to try". Someone like that would never dare to challenge a grad like Shinomiya to a cook-off for whatever reason because they would never expect to win.

Except that's not what actually happens...? The rivals he meets are people who act almost exactly like him. Alice and fishguy have almost the exact same "keep fighting and losing and improving" relationship with each other that Soma has with his dad. Italian guy literally joined the school to find a rival.Tadakoro is of course herself, and copycat guy is totally an rear end in a top hat but he also doesn't really care about whether or not other people are good cooks: his entire "philosophy" is that cooking isn't even a skill since he can do it without caring. IE: The vast majority of the Autumn Selection candidates don't have that attitude (maybe Spice guy, I guess).

So basically, we have Erina and her flunky (for a very short period of time). Frankly, this conversation gives me the impression that a lot of readers have fixated on Erina as the living embodiment of what every other student in the school is like and have totally ignored every single counterexample we've seen (ie: everyone else). Most of Soma's rivals aren't jerks, or at least aren't any more arrogant than he is. I mean, I can sort of understand why you'd fixate on that that, since that's what the story originally tried to claim the school was like, but you'd have to ignore more than half the series. Kuga's been an rear end in a top hat, but not in any way drastically different from anyone else. Most of the other Elite 10 have been standard "confident" with nothing else to them.

Also keep in mind that Soma seems to have no problem whatsoever with the school's "win or die" policy, and in fact seems to enjoy it. He delights in surpassing everyone and aims to get to the top over everyone else's corpses just like everyone else. If anything, Soma's finally in his element since the school was built for and is filled with people just like him.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 29, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Except that's not what actually happens...? The rivals he meets are people who act almost exactly like him. Alice and fishguy have almost the exact same "keep fighting and losing and improving" relationship with each other that Soma has with his dad. Italian guy literally joined the school to find a rival.Tadakoro is of course herself, and copycat guy is totally an rear end in a top hat but he also doesn't really care about whether or not other people are good cooks: his entire "philosophy" is that cooking isn't even a skill since he can do it without caring. IE: The vast majority of the Autumn Selection candidates don't have that attitude (maybe Spice guy, I guess).

You're right in that literally every character with a name and personality are honestly pretty decent people (copy-guy and now maybe Yugioh excepted), most are arrogant jerks but in general they're all pretty cool probably so that readers will be interested in their development and in their continued focus. But when people in this thread talk about the elite cooks looking down on people and hating the idea of success being built on past failures are referring to Isshiki and Eizan's conversation during the Autumn finals about why the vast majority of (nameless) students look down on Soma.

From that conversation it pretty much states that the student faculty hates Soma not just because of the whole "you're all stepping stones" thing but also because he manages to defeat or compete closely with the best cooks in the school despite supposedly being at a massive disadvantage. That disadvantage not being the fact that he's not upper class but that he's the most recent transfer student. Those who study at Tootsuki are supposed to be the best of the best, but then this kid gets in based on his own efforts and immediately proves himself as one of the best in the year even though he hasn't had the advantage of studying at the best cooking school in the world like all the people he faces. Isshiki pretty much states that the reason the student faculty dislikes Soma is because he proves personal effort can overcome any inherent advantages as long as you try hard enough, as he defeats people that, by virtue of having studied longer at this esteemed school, should be better than him.

So I think we're supposed to see Soma and most of the other named characters as being anomalies in the school, and that most of the general student faculty do kind of buy into the belief that they're inherently better cooks than those who don't study at Tootsuki. I do agree though that it's not really the "elite" cooks who have this belief, it's honestly kind of implied to be a belief that's held largely by the less skilled cooks in the school. It's probably not shared by Kuga as I think he's just being an rear end in a top hat because he wants to humiliate this kid who dared to challenge him.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tarezax posted:

On the other hand, CABBAGE PIIINK!!!!

Yeeeeeees, except that he was still way more over-the-top as Kuroyanagi Ryo in the criminally-abbreviated Yakitate! Japan anime.

edit: ....OHHHHH. I KNEW THE VOICE OF SHIRO FROM HOOZUKI NO REITETSU WAS FAMILIAR.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 29, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Plus, whereas every time he wins/loses his response is "That was great, lets do this again! Your food is awesome"

Woah lets not get too far ahead of yourself this is a dude who's catchphrase is "It wasn't much." Also soma's fist thing he said to the school was basically "i worked in a real kitchen and i'm gonna take all you scrublords down."

Edit: honestly outside of Erina and the copycat dude, Souma might be he biggest rear end in a top hat at the school

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 29, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Basically by stating that the top-tier guys got there via talent/money/etc. the mass majority can afford to be mediocre without feeling shame about it. "They're too good, it's inevitable."
And then Souma shakes up the very foundation of that belief and forces them to either deny him or take a good hard look at themselves and their excuses, and the latter is something that is Very Hard to do.

Elfgames posted:

Woah lets not get too far ahead of yourself this is a dude who's catchphrase is "It wasn't much." Also soma's fist thing he said to the school was basically "i worked in a real kitchen and i'm gonna take all you scrublords down."

Edit: honestly outside of Erina and the copycat dude, Souma might be he biggest rear end in a top hat at the school
I'm pretty sure Souma's catchphrase is the same as his dad's and while I don't recall the exact translation I believe it's basically one of those standard self-deprecating phrases the japanese love to use.

And Kurokiba and the Aldinis share the same opinion as Souma wrt the other kids. In fact, there's literally nobody in the story who doesn't think that way to somebody who thinks he's hot poo poo when they have a fraction of the experience. This applies to Kuuga to Souma, Souma to the others, those rear end in a top hat cooks to Shinomiya, etc. It's how they act after seeing the new guy's ability that defines if they're being assholes or not. That's why Erina was labeled a bitch and Shinomiya wasn't (after his character development).

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 29, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Maybe but souma always looks smug as gently caress when saying it and Aldini didn't go up on stage and call everyone trash that he was going to use to use as stepping stones Souma is arrogant as gently caress but it's cool and even being an rear end in a top hat he can be a nice guy so it's fun to root for him.

Also Erina only fully commited to the path of bitchdom after souma openly mocked her

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 29, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Erina is only an rear end in a top hat to people she dislikes or doesn't respect. She might go on about how Soma doesn't deserve to be in the school and that he's inferior because he's not an elite or whatever, but she'll be perfectly pleasant to other people of a similar background as long as she doesn't dislike them. She's basically just incredibly petty.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Part of Erina's introduction was her lying about something central to her life and sacred to the institution she was representing, all while potentially derailing someone else's honest efforts, in order to satisfy her own classism.

Also literally the first person he interacted with at the school was another applicant who treated him as literal vile garbage for being from a working class diner. So he confidently stated a goal and then worked hard to achieve it i.e. proving he was better than the rest of the smug fucks he (assumed) the student body to be.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 29, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought it was because he proved her wrong and was smug about it which made her hella mad because she is incredibly petty.

Edit:

paragon1 posted:

Also literally the first person he interacted with at the school was another applicant who treated him as literal vile garbage for being from a working class diner. So he confidently stated a goal and then worked hard to achieve it i.e. proving he was better than the rest of the smug fucks he (assumed) the student body to be.

He didn't care about that guy though because Soma is ridiculously carefree. He also doesn't give a poo poo that Erina is a huge dick to him, that stuff just doesn't bother him.

He just said they were all stepping stones to him because it was the truth and Soma is honest. He knows (or at least believes) that he is better than everyone else at the school and does not care if in order to be the best he has to climb over the bodies of the rest of the student body to do so. That doesn't mean he's cruel or that he doesn't care about others, it is just him saying his goal. He wants to be a better cook, and all this school is to him is a way for him to improve. His philosophy is honestly really in line with what Tootsuki is supposed to be about, so he fits right in.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 29, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought it was because he proved her wrong and was smug about it which made her hella mad.because she is incredibly petty.

Yes, she assumed a "low class dish" couldn't possibly be good. It was, but she was so wrapped up in her own bullshit that she lied about it.

If Soma was being smug instead of confident in that scene I didn't notice it in the shadow of Erina's colossally huge ego.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Yes, she assumed a "low class dish" couldn't possibly be good. It was, but she was so wrapped up in her own bullshit that she lied about it.

If Soma was being smug instead of confident in that scene I didn't notice it in the shadow of Erina's colossally huge ego.

Oh yeah, she's got an ego. Probably the biggest out of all the students in the school. Though to be fair having an ego is a quality shared by most characters in the manga.

And the way I read it was that the reason she assumed Soma's dish would be awful was because he didn't do what she wanted him to do (quit the exam because she didn't care for judging anyone) and then didn't treat her with the respect she usually receives because Soma doesn't know who she is and doesn't care about that stuff anyway. So because of that she immediately dislikes him and then convinces herself his dish can't be good because of that. And then when he proves her wrong she lies and fails him because he beat her and she refuses to accept that as she is an rear end in a top hat.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
To me it only seemed like She lied because A he had no respect for her, Which he should have at least because she was his examiner and B because he sat there smugly going "Well is it good? It's good right Just say it.." I'd have told the rear end in a top hat to gently caress off too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pfft, Soma's level of smugness is pretty much the general level of arrogance from Tootsuki's top students. If she was a professional she'd have just dealt with it. :colbert:

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
The real reason Erina rejects Souma is that the first chapter is just a modified version of the one-shot this manga is based on where Erina falls for Souma immediately. But in order to extend it beyond just 1 chapter meant she had to reject him for reasons.

And it isn't uncommon for early chapters of manga characterizing to be wildly off what they are later. Just look at Yakitate Japan.

The only people she gets frazzled by are Alice, Alice's mom, Hisako and Souma. She gave no fucks about the head chef guy at the restaurant or the rest of the Elite 10. So I guess the bitchiness is suppose to imply that she cares for him or something. It's tsun-tsun moe logic.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not sure I want to still be reading when we hit the point where Soma empowers his cookery with thoughts of his loved one (Erina).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Eej posted:

I want to still be reading when we hit the point where Soma empowers his cookery with thoughts of his loved one (Tadokoro).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its going to be alice fuckers

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I will loving fight you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
This manga would've been so much better if we had Alice from the start.