Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This has become one of my favorite mangas to read every week. I can not get enough of stories that take something grounded in the real world like cooking and make it hot blooded.

I like how this current story arc is finally letting us see more of why Megumi deserves to be at a top class chef school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Not sure yet if Megumi is going to win this one but at least it looks like she'll put up a hell of a fight.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Until they say outright that Japanese cooking is the true and best cooking I don't think we can say this manga is too nationalistic.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This manga. I don't even. I'm not sure how it will ever top that chapter but I can't wait to see it try.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

All hamburgers are sandwiches but not all snadwiches are hamburgers.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Are you people trying to tell me that Doritos Locos Tacos aren't a Mexican import?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Souma's secret weapon: bushmeat!

Opossum and Armadillo are the true secret to American cooking.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

I am ready to go to the Beef Amusement Park, take me there. :dance:

Where do I get my tickets?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

paragon1 posted:

It really is :cripes:

I thought it was a really good tease though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What the hell. Early in this manga they said that Souma is good because he doesn't try to stick to certain style of cooking he just worries about making good food.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I kind of wish they showed maybe some of the judge's deliberation for some of these. Like in Megumi's match they all talked about how great hers was and then it seemed like the bandanna guy just won unconditionally but then it turns out Megumi's was actually amazing because the Chairmen lost his underwear. Maybe at least one of the judges could say they thought the loser's was better every now and then.

Also isn't the lady the spice guy hangs out with like a year or two younger than Souma's dad? Am I misremembering that?

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 27, 2015

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Allarion posted:

Her cooking has probably hit a wall based off what the dad is implying too. Clearly she'll get into her own power rivalry with Megumi.

Please give me a Megumi, Alice, and Erina triple fight.

Erina is optional.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also "Cuisine is for chefs only", similar to "high art is for artists only".

Which is a really bizarre stance to take for any chef who wants to own a restaurant. Like the evil business Elite 10 dude should be 100% against that philosophy since he wouldn't make any money.

Still I thought that was a pretty good twist and can't wait to see what the new regime is like.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm guessing he married into the family and took on his wife's family name.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Davincie posted:

alice's dad.....

imagine how powerful he must be to have such a wife and daughter.........

I hope he is literally the Swedish Chef. I know her mom is the Danish one but still I need it to happen.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This dude is about to get schooled so hard.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If he doesn't win the final cook off with Peanut Butter Squid, or whatever he had in the first chapter, this manga will have been for nothing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So one of the other ingredients is butter. It better be on a stick and deep fried.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I loved how this chapter was basically "You activated my trap card."

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

"It's time to bring, THAT out."

PEANUT BUTTER SQUID. PEANUT BUTTER SQUID. PEANUT BUTTER SQUID.

If that happens all faults with this manga are forgiven.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hell yeah, dark chef arc and incoming Megumi fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Once again bad Japanese parenting is the cause of the problem.