Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I might come tonight but I refuse to tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hobbesmaster posted:

I might come tonight but I refuse to tank.

And that's different than Monday and Wednesday how? ;)

I'll be online if we need another tank. Though really we need to start getting a few other newbies good to go tanking. :)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
EDIT: Woops wrong thread! Carry on WookieGoons!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I can have Inkarisa tank but I dunno if I'm going to be up for it tonight. I have a migraine I need to try to sleep off.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'm not going to be back in town until like 10pm Eastern, so I'm a no go for this evening.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Might be 10-15 min late but I'll (Hennimore, rDps) be there!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

What's more fun, is wearing that outfit while playing as the Agent and doing the "undercover" story missions. Like "Greetings, fellow rebel scum, those Imperials sure are ruthless but efficient today, aren't they?"

I did that on my Chiss Operative for a while and I thought it was hilarious.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Could I get an invite to That's No Goon? My dude's name is Pan'ama and I'm constantly playing Van Halen riffs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So completing TFB down a tank is a new one for me. I mean, it was story mode and all but still that's usually a wipe.

Also I can't believe I kept saying the same platform instead of the same two platforms. Literally the worst.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

So completing TFB down a tank is a new one for me. I mean, it was story mode and all but still that's usually a wipe.

Also I can't believe I kept saying the same platform instead of the same two platforms. Literally the worst.

Seriously we're 16m HM ready. I can't believe we didn't wipe once on TFB. Three new healers and me completely hammered DPSing.

On a serious note, I'm thinking we make Thursdays Dread Fortress night, get some people some good gear. TFB and S&V are nice practice for paying attention, though. But I think DF is actually easier, mechanics wise.

I'm actually tentatively excited we might be 16m HM ready for some poo poo soon.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Check this full fuckin' raid group out.

16 people, and I didn't even have to beg or plead in guild chat for 20 minutes. We had a nice leisurely stroll through Asation, eventually saying hi to the Terror From Beyond.

Seriously, this was a great turnout, and we had a nice mix of vets and first-timers. I hope everyone enjoyed the run, and I appreciate y'all putting up with my sub-par tanking.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You and Inkarisa did fine. We'd have given place an aneurysm on Kephess though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of, I'm still not sure how I screwed up and died on Kephess.

I died in the first phase of the fight. He was charging me down, and although I didn't see the raid message "Kephess has targeted Hennimore with a laser beam or whatever", the last thing I heard before he killed me was someone telling me on teamspeak to stand in front of the tower that Kephess was connected to with the lightning bolt.

My impression from the instructions and from the one time I'd done the fight before was that you had to get that "laser beam" raid message before you had to do the "stand between the boss and the tower" mechanic, which I didn't see, so I assume I had just pulled his aggro or something and started instinctively threat dropping and rolling away. Is that right, or did I misunderstand the mechanics of that fight?

It was still fun, but I figure I should learn a lesson for next time!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
One thing we didn't explain very well is that on that phase of the fight, everyone should be piled in close to Kephess. That way when someone gets targeted, they don't have to run very far to get to the pillar. We had a couple of times where the person had to run too far, and therefore Kephess didn't damage the pillar enough to knock it down.

In your specific case, I'm pretty sure we did get the message that you were being targeted, which is why people were warning you. It's easy to miss stuff like that when you're focused on your positioning and rotation, so most Ops require a lot more attention than the rest of the game. Don't sweat it, and just keep it in mind for the next run.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

One thing we didn't explain very well is that on that phase of the fight, everyone should be piled in close to Kephess. That way when someone gets targeted, they don't have to run very far to get to the pillar. We had a couple of times where the person had to run too far, and therefore Kephess didn't damage the pillar enough to knock it down.

In your specific case, I'm pretty sure we did get the message that you were being targeted, which is why people were warning you. It's easy to miss stuff like that when you're focused on your positioning and rotation, so most Ops require a lot more attention than the rest of the game. Don't sweat it, and just keep it in mind for the next run.

Entirely possible, I was drinking! I thought I'd been careful to pay attention to that aspect of the fight and that there was some other reason I was being targeted, but in retrospect yeah I probably just missed the message.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Turn target of target on, Kephess will target the person he's going to shoot the laser at for a while before the laser fires.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

hobbesmaster posted:

Turn target of target on, Kephess will target the person he's going to shoot the laser at for a while before the laser fires.

Target of Target isn't just for tanks! (Although it does help massively)

And yeah we'd have probably given other people a heart attack, but do you know what we salvaged a massively hosed TFB fight and we're going to get better (and I'll eventually figure out how to pick up threat on more than one target other than by AoE taunting).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well I knew he was targeting me, I just didn't know it was for the laser beam thing, because I'd missed the message. I thought it didn't show up but I was probably just drunk!

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

hobbesmaster posted:

I think just about all the healers bit it on the last burn phase too, no tank lots of dead people it was pretty intense.

If anyone is reading this and still apprehensive about raiding don't be at all. It was chill and fun even though a lot of people were learning the fights and we one shot everything and never wiped. Despite being goons and mostly drunk.

Here's a short raiding primer:

Oh god I want to raid now what do i need to do!?

If you're not yet 55 make it to 55 and then get someone in guild to run you through Oricon for the starter raid gear. This is a must. It's the easiest to obtain and best set of gear you can get for the time and effort spent. It's enough to get you raiding Story Mode content like what we did last night. Once you get your gear slap the mods in your favorite orange gstring and revealing tube top, buy some augment kits and augment that poo poo up and you're ready to go.

While you're at work dreaming of SWTOR and how good your virtual self would look in a kragga hat go to dulfy.net and sperg over the PVE guides for your class and figure out your stat priority.

Also read the Operation guides for: TFB, SnV, and Dread fortress

Getting even a half assed idea of what to expect will make things go infinitely smoother the first time you see the content.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wtftastic posted:

(and I'll eventually figure out how to pick up threat on more than one target other than by AoE taunting).

1. Smash
2. Level an assassin
3. Level a power tech.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, if you're apprehensive about raiding, don't be! It's a lot of fun, you get a lot of gear very quickly (at first, when you're in the position of arkanian being an upgrade, at least), and yes, sometimes the bossfights can be weird and complicated and clusterfucky but usually there's a bunch of new people playing so someone with experience is there to explain and walk the group through the fight. Nobody expects you to be perfect, so long as you can listen and learn from mistakes you are qualified to raid!

Just don't loot bosses while dead people are still on the ground, because they get excluded from the loot rolls (which is half the point of raiding). I'm proud of everybody for not doing that last night!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

hobbesmaster posted:

1. Smash
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH

i just read smash and black out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So each of the tanking guides on dulfy have a thing at the end about how taunt/threat works thats pretty good and not well explained in one place in game. http://dulfy.net/2014/01/07/swtor-immortal-juggernaut-tanking-class-guide/

Basically three things generate threat:
1. Directly attacking or using an ability on a mob
2. Healing an ally while standing close to a mob
3. Standing close to a mob

Direct attacks generate 1 threat per damage for dps. Tank stances put a multiplier on tank damage, I think its like 2x or something with a higher modified for abilities that say they generate a large amount of threat. Some other abilities apparently have hidden threat stuff, pulls for example generate a massive amount of threat even if they cause no physics effect despite dealing no damage. Healing generates 1 threat per hp healed. Standing close to mob generates almost no threat, but just enough to get them to attack you. A regular mob without any additional mechanics will attack whoever is highest on their threat table. A taunt sets your threat no that target to 10% higher than the current top of the table. A "moderate" threat reduction is cutting it in half or something. Dropping out of combat sets you to zero.

What does this mean? It means that:
1. You can only get a target to reliably attack you if you deal damage to it. If you do not deal damage to it it'll go after your healers.
2. Taunt is useless unless theres already some threat on the table (i.e., don't open a fight with taunt).
3. In a trash pack AoE taunt will make them all attack you for 6s but if nothing has attacked a particular mob they'll quickly go back after the healers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

What does this mean? It means that:
1. You can only get a target to reliably attack you if you deal damage to it. If you do not deal damage to it it'll go after your healers.
2. Taunt is useless unless theres already some threat on the table (i.e., don't open a fight with taunt).
3. In a trash pack AoE taunt will make them all attack you for 6s but if nothing has attacked a particular mob they'll quickly go back after the healers.

Yeah, I know that in flashpoints, keeping aggro off the healers is as much the DPS' job as it is the tanks. I assume that raids must work the same way but honestly there's so much goddamn poo poo on the screen in trash mob fights that I can never really tell who's attacking who. I just kind of default to "kill things from weakest to strongest" and hope it works out, unless someone's telling me different.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jugg agro management just is tougher than Powertech and Assassin due to lack of AOE damage. Like Bedinok says, taunt really should be saved for peeling agro OFF someone, not gaining it.

I've only tanked Flashpoints with my Guardian and Vanguard, but it's a challenge doing even those with my Guardian. Mostly because to use his top tier talent (not sure what it's called for Juggs), in order for it to hit everyone you have to hit with Sundering Strike first, and by that time the DPS have already jumped in. No force pull/harpoon to bring stuff to you is rough.

But hey, you'll survive a bit longer when you finally DO get that agro than an Assassin. ;)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

I've only tanked Flashpoints with my Guardian and Vanguard, but it's a challenge doing even those with my Guardian. Mostly because to use his top tier talent (not sure what it's called for Juggs), in order for it to hit everyone you have to hit with Sundering Strike first,

That's not correct. You get a talent that causes Smash to apply armor reduction to everything it hits, so Leap, Smash, Crushing Blow as an opener gets you a solid amount of threat on multiple targets if they're close enough together. The biggest issue I had was when things were too spread out to hit them all with a Smash, since there's no pull.

Even then, if mobs are ranged, Saber Reflect will grab a hefty aggro lead:

20:53:56.809 Oedzi activates Saber Reflect.
20:53:56.810 Oedzi gains Saber Reflect.
20:53:56.811 Oedzi's Saber Reflect causes 8592 threat gain on Macro-nanite Suppressor.
20:53:56.811 Oedzi's Saber Reflect causes 8592 threat gain on Molecular Decompiler.
20:53:56.811 Oedzi's Saber Reflect causes 8592 threat gain on Molecular Decompiler.
20:53:56.811 Oedzi's Saber Reflect causes 8592 threat gain on Macro-nanite Suppressor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

That's not correct. You get a talent that causes Smash to apply armor reduction to everything it hits, so Leap, Smash, Crushing Blow as an opener gets you a solid amount of threat on multiple targets if they're close enough together. I think the biggest issue is when mobs aren't tight enough for a Smash to hit them all. The biggest issue I had was when things were too spread out, since there's no pull.

Even then, if mobs are ranged, Saber Reflect will grab a hefty aggro lead:

20:53:56.809 Oedzi activates Saber Reflect.
20:53:56.810 Oedzi gains Saber Reflect.

Ah nice. Good to know for the one time a year I play my Guardian.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

1. Smash
2. Level an assassin
3. Level a power tech.

I might level an assassin, but I already have Inkarisa, and blah blah blah. I was using smash and apparently crushing blow also generates a decent amount of threat. I just need to practice, and parse a bit.

Stop giving me alt-itis you guys.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just don't loot bosses while dead people are still on the ground, because they get excluded from the loot rolls (which is half the point of raiding). I'm proud of everybody for not doing that last night!

Was it always this way? I don't remember it happening back in the olden days. Recently started running FPs again and having it happen all the time. What could the reason possibly be for this terrible game mechanic? Infuriating.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wtftastic posted:

I might level an assassin, but I already have Inkarisa, and blah blah blah. I was using smash and apparently crushing blow also generates a decent amount of threat. I just need to practice, and parse a bit.

Come on, pick one character and stick with it! You guys with your alts.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

I assume you say this because you've reached the point of having so many alts that it's created a singularity

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wtftastic posted:

Two juggs is probably the worst combo of tanks because of that aoe threat thing. The super serious raiding guilds seem to all run tanks from different classes because of this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I assume you say this because you've reached the point of having so many alts that it's created a singularity

Only 11 characters right now. But hey, 1 of them isn't 55.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

The dark pits of the SWTOR RP community contain people who have filled their character slots across five servers, all lvl >20. I don't know where these people get the time/motivation from.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

parara posted:

The dark pits of the SWTOR RP community contain people who have filled their character slots across five servers, all lvl >20. I don't know where these people get the time/motivation from.

I've been playing since launch with a few 4 month periods of inactivity. All characters other than the first 4 have been leveled solely through PVP and Flashpoints. It really doesn't take a ton of time - I got my sorc to 55 in 2 days of /played time.

But before I transferred to JC, after my main guild quit on POT5 I didn't do any raiding or anything, it was literally PVP, PVP, occasional Group Finder hard mode, PVP.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Medullah posted:

I've been playing since launch with a few 4 month periods of inactivity. All characters other than the first 4 have been leveled solely through PVP and Flashpoints. It really doesn't take a ton of time - I got my sorc to 55 in 2 days of /played time.

Yeah, I've been around since launch as well with about five lvl 55s (mostly PVP leveled), but I don't understand the mentality of rolling 40+ characters across five servers, all of the same classes! What... is the point? :confused: Although maybe I shouldn't be talking because I keep rolling Shadow/Assassin tanks to PVP with.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

parara posted:

Yeah, I've been around since launch as well with about five lvl 55s (mostly PVP leveled), but I don't understand the mentality of rolling 40+ characters across five servers, all of the same classes! What... is the point? :confused: Although maybe I shouldn't be talking because I keep rolling Shadow/Assassin tanks to PVP with.

Oh yeah. When I transferred, I transferred everyone. No sense having on multiple servers, unless I guess you have friends on more than one server.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

You don't know, man. You weren't there. You weren't there.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
So I know that Darth Arkous, the new Sphere of Military Offense (so we go Darth Baras -> Darth Arho -> Darth Arkous) on the Dark Council, is working for (Genoharadan/StarCabal/SpaceIlluminati) and the whole Tython thing was for the recovery of a Rakatan Datacron held in the Jedi Council and to be used as a distraction in defending Korriban for the Council attack (even though Darth Marr is the Sphere of Imperial Defense and it would have been his forces assigned anyway?), but anyone Pub side have any background information on exactly what the SIS was hoping to find there in the Korriban Academy that resulted in the death of some no-name Dark Lord that wasn't even assigned a Sphere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GertLush
Aug 24, 2005

Megazver posted:

I'm on the EU RP server. Protagonist, I believe? Names to friend are Indle and Animist on Rep side and Enephous and Killingsworth on Imp side.

Is that the progenitor server? Might make a BH there then.

• Locked thread