Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What is the gear requirement for SM DP anyway? I know it's bolstered with GF but I'm just asking because I'm curious now.

Is Artifact (156) gear enough, or does that one take a little more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I feel decidedly more human and will likely be on for this.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
So apparently the launcher is broke now with the new patch and tries to repair 5 files which looks like 3987 gigabytes from the speed of download bar moving with 1 mb/sec speed (probably trying to download the entire game). Is this happening to anyone else, i have a very expensive and very limited 3g internet and i would like to avoid redownloading the entire internet :smith:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Galewolf posted:

So apparently the launcher is broke now with the new patch and tries to repair 5 files which looks like 3987 gigabytes from the speed of download bar moving with 1 mb/sec speed (probably trying to download the entire game). Is this happening to anyone else, i have a very expensive and very limited 3g internet and i would like to avoid redownloading the entire internet :smith:

You probably corrupted your install while patching. I don't know how you'd get around having to repair those files.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

bonds0097 posted:

You probably corrupted your install while patching. I don't know how you'd get around having to repair those files.

That seems the case, sadly. I will download a new client sometime, then.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Medullah posted:

So just as a reminder, I want to try and do a 16m Group Finder Dread Palace tonight...the more goons that show up, the less pubbies show up, the better we do. Thinking around 8:30pm EST.

Should be present for this.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

jerichojx posted:

Also, we are in a scifi setting. Why can't we remotely check mail, GTN, change specs, call our buddy Sith Lords or Moffs? Baras can literally choke a dude to death through a holo, why do I need to travel to a base or go to my ship's holoterminal?

You can do the first two via legacy unlocks. For story purposes, you have a holocommunicator, but you only gave your number to Satele Shan and she lost her's in the furniture.

nuklear
Dec 16, 2013
Anyone know if the Major/Minor XP boosts stack with the 12x class quest bonus? The boost itself says it doesn't stack with any other but I figured the 12x one may be a passive one and not count.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Massively has an interview with the producers about the expansion. I didn't realize we were getting more class story, that owns.

quote:

We also talked about briefly about the new class missions, which were written by my favorite BioWare writer, Alexander Freed, who wrote the Imperial Agent and Makeb Imperial storyline. If you have played the Agent story, that should make you excited about the upcoming class missions that Boyd said are like "cappers to what had happened in the class storylines before hand." He continued by saying, "It's really about defining who you are now in the galaxy after all this time since the completion of your class story."

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer

nuklear posted:

Anyone know if the Major/Minor XP boosts stack with the 12x class quest bonus? The boost itself says it doesn't stack with any other but I figured the 12x one may be a passive one and not count.

Pretty sure it only stacks with the general exp buff, not the story ones. It also stacks with the guild bonus.

Also, I'll probably be on for the raid tonight on Sways at 8:30 eastern.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Even if it doesn't help your quest xp, it applies to exploration and kill xp, which is not entirely insignificant.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Honestly though, I'd just hold onto it. The 12x class XP is enough to get to 55 easily by itself. I have a feeling XP boost prices are gonna skyrocket when the expansion hits thanks to everyone suddenly needing to get to 60. :)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I really wish the xp boosts you get rewarded for your class quests were bind to legacy at least.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

So just as a reminder, I want to try and do a 16m Group Finder Dread Palace tonight...the more goons that show up, the less pubbies show up, the better we do. Thinking around 8:30pm EST.

16 - man DP eh? Well, I'll be there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Honestly though, I'd just hold onto it. The 12x class XP is enough to get to 55 easily by itself. I have a feeling XP boost prices are gonna skyrocket when the expansion hits thanks to everyone suddenly needing to get to 60. :)

Yeah, this. Save your XP boosts for when leveling is actually a grind and it makes a significant difference, because even with the 12xp boost it takes a good 10-15 hours or so to play through a class story, and the bottleneck is just the time it takes to physically go through them; leveling isn't an issue.

I did my smuggler recently; starting from halfway through Ord Mantell, I ticked over to level 50 right in the middle of the final mission, it syncs very well.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Since they're so common in cartel packs, I now have about 15 major and 10 minor generic XP boosts stashed for the 55-60 slog. I figure if it's easy to hit that on story missions and new FPs alone (unlike with Makeb not being enough) I'll sell them. As mentionned they should go up quite a bit at the begining.

And they do stack with the 12x boost.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Eltoasto posted:

Massively has an interview with the producers about the expansion. I didn't realize we were getting more class story, that owns.

It's a single unique mission for each of the eight classes. No word yet on how long/deep the mission will be.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I was disappointed when gf ops were reverted to 8m originally, but now I'm annoyed they are 16m because we have to fill it with too many undergeared pugs! Even though it's bolstered its still a lot harder when everyone is sitting at 27k hp.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hello I am Vincent Jediman here to serve the republic

What's midichlumnhumunm...?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I was disappointed when gf ops were reverted to 8m originally, but now I'm annoyed they are 16m because we have to fill it with too many undergeared pugs! Even though it's bolstered its still a lot harder when everyone is sitting at 27k hp.

Why didn't they give the option to do either 8 or 16 man?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Ops queues are already pretty slow to pop. Splitting the user base into multiple queues would be a bad idea.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They did originally, but there was some sort of technical error that was being caused by the 16m matchmaking.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
One day they'll have cross server queues. Maybe :v:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Blhue posted:

They did originally, but there was some sort of technical error that was being caused by the 16m matchmaking.

No, the original ops group finder was 16 man only, just like it is now.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll be there with my sorc or merc.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Played this at launch, got a Powertech to 50 and pretty much hated the class. Thinking about coming back for the 12x and leveling Jugg and Operative to see if I like the game any more since the updates. Anyone have a referral code that needs using for the mount?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fried Sushi posted:

Played this at launch, got a Powertech to 50 and pretty much hated the class. Thinking about coming back for the 12x and leveling Jugg and Operative to see if I like the game any more since the updates. Anyone have a referral code that needs using for the mount?

http://www.swtor.com/r/3hR2YR

Merry Christmas.

e: As someone who also really didn't like Vanguard/Powertech, I'd say go try a Commando/Mercenary, it's basically my favorite thing, and has allowed me to get a Trooper past level 30 finally.

Jugg is super fun, especially Smash spec, and I haven't heard of anyone not loving it. And Operative is the best, albeit a bit useless in raids if you don't like healing. Since you can 1-55 a class in 3-4 days using the 12x booster, I'd say make sure to also try out a Sorcerer/Assassin, both are really great fun, and the storyline is one of the few in the game that actually encourage Dark Side choices.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 24, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Merry Christmas.

e: As someone who also really didn't like Vanguard/Powertech, I'd say go try a Commando/Mercenary, it's basically my favorite thing, and has allowed me to get a Trooper past level 30 finally.

Jugg is super fun, especially Smash spec, and I haven't heard of anyone not loving it. And Operative is the best, albeit a bit useless in raids if you don't like healing. Since you can 1-55 a class in 3-4 days using the 12x booster, I'd say make sure to also try out a Sorcerer/Assassin, both are really great fun, and the storyline is one of the few in the game that actually encourage Dark Side choices.

I agree with most of your assessments, except for operative. I finished my scrapper scoundrel story last night and by the end I was like "I can't wait to not be playing this class anymore."

I always felt so vulnerable, and couldn't quite get the hang of the rotation (even fully specced) so that I would find myself short of either upper hand or energy at any given moment. It was stylish as hell but ehhhhh not so hot in the "fun" department. Definitely seems like you should pick it as a healer if you want to play it at all.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Merry Christmas.

Thanks, I have a level 33 Assassin that I am going to transfer over to Jedi Covenant too. Probably finish leveling that up and a Sentinel on Republic side eventually. I have a Marauder too and really like the marauder/sentinel playstyle, just wanted to do one per faction so going with Juggernaut.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.swtor.com/r/d9rknB

Yet another referral code if anybody needs it. Add to my crazy speeder collection!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I agree with most of your assessments, except for operative. I finished my scrapper scoundrel story last night and by the end I was like "I can't wait to not be playing this class anymore."

I always felt so vulnerable, and couldn't quite get the hang of the rotation (even fully specced) so that I would find myself short of either upper hand or energy at any given moment. It was stylish as hell but ehhhhh not so hot in the "fun" department. Definitely seems like you should pick it as a healer if you want to play it at all.

The issue is it's that or the Sniper, and fuuuuuck the Sniper. It might be more doable now, since you can level entirely off of class missions, but something always felt off to me about being immobile in an MMO. I just can't do it.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I'm in for DF, either as heals or deeps.

Edit: WTT mats for 34 aim barrel

raffie fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 25, 2014

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I know this was from a couple of pages back, but when 3.0 hits and we get a new thread, please can the thread title be

Iron Tusk posted:

If you don't want to gently caress a cat, you have no business in MMO's.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

The issue is it's that or the Sniper, and fuuuuuck the Sniper. It might be more doable now, since you can level entirely off of class missions, but something always felt off to me about being immobile in an MMO. I just can't do it.

Lethality doesn't require cover.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Lethality doesn't require cover.

Still use Series of Shots, albeit as a filler when Cull and WB are on cool down.

I hated cover but got over it pretty quick. Most of the fights in the game you're just standing in one place anyway, either on top of the boss swinging a glow stick or 30m away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

For leveling PvE content you really don't need cover. You might as well just use uhm I have no idea what they're called, carbine burst (aoe) and power shot (no cover energy using blaster shot)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Most ranged classes are about as immobile as the sniper honestly; merc and sorc are based around standing still and channelling/activating too, sniper just has an extra button to press before you start.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
But sorc has so much more style.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So again, 16m Dread Palace Group Finder tonight...I'll start seeing who's interested in about 30 minutes and if we can't fill up by 9pm EST we'll start looking for pubbies. *shudder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love my Scrapper Scoundrel, switched a few patches back from Sawbones for PvE. 10/10 NiM DF/DP. Only the Balance Shadow in our raid group regularly beats me in DPS. I mostly enjoy topping parses on a build most people seem to think can't do raid DPS for whatever reason. I love getting good Scrappers when I GF FP's and whatnot...poo poo just melts.

Lightsabers? Cannons? Missiles? Nah...just punch it to death.

• Locked thread