Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
So, how much money do I have to spend on the game to get this "preferred" status? Are we talking spending $1.99 on some dinky cosmetic upgrade, or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I can't get over how much more fun the trooper storyline is than the Sith Warrior. How do specs work in this game? Do you pretty much put all the points in the tree you want?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Every ingle class story I've tried has been pretty awesome. None of them are 'bad', they just might not really 'click' for you. Trooper gets flack for being all 'hoorah!' but if the idea of being Space Special Forces is something that sounds neat to you, it comes across pretty awesome. Likewise the Consular storyline is a bit slower than others, but it's more an exploration into what the Force is and all that mysticism type stuff. I dug it.

Meanwhile the Sith Warrior story is all about how these batshit Sith are running the Empire into the ground and you have to find some loving way to fix things. Oh, also the nature and acquisition of power and honor/loyalty.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Sith Warrior story - it's just that it's a much slower burning tale than the Trooper, which is basically a Tom Clancy novel starring FemShep, so I call it more "fun".

I really need to get it together and stick to one character to 50, right? You get a lot of leveling bonuses for your alts if you stick it through?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Maybe this is old news, but is anyone else a bit weirded out that the planet quests on Nar Shaddaa include the Empire literally commiting the Holocaust? Like, right down to death camps and gas chambers. I wouldn't really have expected any video game to deal with that, but seeing it in a Star Wars game was really bizarre.

SWTOR hasn't been afraid to touch on some hardcore issues. The trooper storyline on Ord Mantell has the rebels kidnapping children, drugging them and forcing them to fight.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

So, what exactly is the benefit of playing a Warrior/Knight without an advanced class? You seem to miss out on a lot in terms of lacking a skill tree.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

On a similar note...are the prices on the GTN usually the standard going rate? Like 75K credits for 99 Chanlon? Because if so, the random crap I've been collecting as I've leveled is worth enough to get me that shiny Silver-Blue crystal I've been eyeing :stare:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Most of my mats sold and I bought myself a sweet Silver-Blue Indestructible Crystal :woop: I'm the coolest Marauder on the block at level 24.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Okay. Flashpoints. WHAT IS WITH THE NAKED PEOPLE. I never see them anywhere else, but every Flashpoint I've done I'm surrounded people who have gone to great lengths and spent real money to ensure their female and male characters are as scantily clad as possible. The winner? The Sith Juggernaught tank in a Slave Girl outfit.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Any Goons on The Harbinger? All the guilds here seem to be <Failed attempt at an epic sounding name> we're small but growing!!!1

edit: Winner for the failed epic name is <mandalorian mercanrys>

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I'll make a Republic Guild for us. <Dead Goon Guild>

Character name Djan'Seriy, pst me and this will happen when we hit critical mass

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 30, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Still waiting for people so I can actually form it. Need critical mass, I'm on now.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I'm officially wary of any Jedi Knight in a group. I feel like most of the kids who play this game for free just want to be Space Jesus. I had a group of 3 for a 2+ level 21 quest, they were over leveled. The Sentinel didn't even know what Centering/Fury was, I had to explain to him what the little box that said 30 all the time meant.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Medullah posted:

My Annihilation spec Marauder has been in some pretty bad groups and ended up doing my own tanking and using berserk to heal the group. ;)

A-Spec Marauder :hf: If your healer isn't up to snuff, I find that Berserk is usually enough to keep me breathing from random AoEs and such. I love it. Bleed Specs kind of suck for leveling, though, since you never get your money's worth on anything less than silver mobs.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I have a winner.

Cademimu, Empire. Tank is a 27 Assassin. Brief gear check, I see he has the full Eradicator's Suit and a shield, okay, we should be good.

We wipe about halfway through. This guy just loving melts by the time I CC the droid. Right before the first boss, we come within an inch of wiping again - me and the other DPS are saved by my Bleed Heals (:black101:)alone. Somehow, a bunch of mobs from earlier in the area aggro from 1000M away and wipe us out. Then it happens again. I figure it was a bug, so I get us to all regroup at the bottom of the first elevator to try to clear it out. Me and the tank make it first...and he proceeds to attack the set piece group of mobs fighting. Just me and him, no heals.

I call him on it. He vehemently denies he did this. All caps, he even /angry 'd at me. I realize now there was no bug, he was just accidentally running into piles of mobs after respawning.

We get our poo poo together and fight the first boss. I tell everyone to only attack the human enemy, since killing him kills the droid and the droid is a bitch. The tank melts and dies, and I get the human down to 25% by the time I realize the other DPS is happily working on the droid. We wipe.

We regroup and I inspect the tank on a hunch. He does indeed have the full Warsuit on. However, he has no mods whatsoever installed. Total armor? Less than 100. One of the group pulls random medium armor out of his rear end to try to help him, I just take over as tank to finish the boss. Things go okay until the healer gets himself caged (after I explained to the group how to avoid it) and we wipe, I GG and leave.

Why

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

Why would you GG?

Sorry, GG as in "Good game" in the StarCraft sense. What can I say, it beat me.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I've taken to getting 3 gathering professions. I figure its the easiest way to afford legacy unlocks to level faster, since none of my 3 characters are at endgame.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I just finished Sith Warrior Act 1 Light Side and I have to say, it's awesome. KOTOR III would have probably been significantly better than the Jedi Knight storyline, but this format allows for a lot of variety in the storytelling. I love that both the Sith Warrior and Trooper lines aren't "Fate of the galaxy in the balance" tales.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

God, Alderaan is just nonsensical as a Sith Warrior. I mean, you make good on your alliance with the General, then you declare your intention to visit her home compound. Does she phone ahead? Nope, and you have to slice your way through the guards just to get to the point where you can resolve the conflict peacefully. I mean...don't they have Space doorbells? Or something?

I will say this about SWTOR...I love being able to transition from role to role very quickly. Between my Shadow Tank, Commando Healer (evil), and Sith Maurader (Honorable Battle Brother), I'm basically never bored. Doing something similar on other MMOs would have required three times the time investment.

Edit: Oh my god I hate the people on this server. They don't get Internet Economics. For example, the listings for Phobium have something like 20 stacks of 99...because they keep undercutting each other. The price has gone from 40K for 99 to 10K for 99 in a matter of days. Other materials I've seen random stacks of 99 for the same price as 50.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 3, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Speaking of companions, M1-4X...sucks? The guy seems to melt very quickly in fights, and even with me as a full heal spec I can never keep him alive. This is a shame because of how much I love him.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

So, Jaesa...is there a way to make her NOT look ridiculous? I hate that her midriff is showing no matter what she wears. It's blatant pandering.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

So what's the best way to make money? Preferably with little effort. I'm poor as poo poo and it's sad.

For leveling up, I've taken multiple gathering professions. It's been enough to finance a really nice treat (Silver-Blue Color Crystal) and Legacy XP unlocks across three characters. Slicing, Scavenging (This one being the most profitable so far), Bioanalysis, etc.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

TOR fashion just set me up with some awesome robes for my Shadow Tank, they look just like the Jedi Master robes from KOTOR. I will say one thing...I have no desire to play a Jedi Knight since I went with Sith Warrior, but drat, I do love the Jedi Knight armor style - robes over plain-ish looking hard armor is something I've been wanting since KOTOR. Is there any Medium or Adaptive armor on the Imp side that looks like it? I know there's one Adaptive set, but you need standing with the Contraband Resale corp, and that's not happening.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

THAT'S THE ONE, I think it'll probably work out for my Gunslinger for the rest of the game, due to him being a Thundercat of a similar brown color.

Also, I had my first lootjacker in Black Talon today. I was an Op in a group with two Mercs and a Powertech, Advanced Skill Barrel came up in the chest right before going to the Brentaal Star, one of the Mercs also chose Need and ended up getting it. I asked if I could have it, he bailed on the FP right away.

This is the first "BAD" experience I've had, does it get worse as you level up?

It's a grab bag. Yesterday I had a Knight Need on a Willpower item, it took him ages to finally say "oh uh my companion can use it". Sheesh. If it isn't blindingly obvious that an item is for my class/spec, I ask if I can Need on it. 90% of the time though, things go well.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I could actually see a Sith Juggernaught with one of those giant gently caress-off Vibroswords.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Is there any reason character transfers are so absurdly expensive? Or any reason they are not server legacy transfers? Why on earth would you want to transfer one character and leave the rest behind? I had no intention of moving servers anyway, but making it so expensive to move just seems pointless - I'd never move all 6 of my characters at 1800 each.

Exactly. I'd use the Cartel Coins system a lot more if things weren't so god damned expensive. One thing I like about ME3 and PS2 are that if you want to pay for something with funbux, ten bux is going to get you a LONG way, not three fourths of the way to something that might be halfway decent.

Although, I guess there is precedence for this, WoW did server transfers for $25. That said, SWTOR encourages playing multiple characters. I can tell you that I would in fact pay $20 in CC to transfer my three characters over...but definitely not one.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

The commando gun is not used to shoot health into allies ? That's disappointing :smith:

Yeah, it's the big green heal beam. I wish your color crystal changed that - that would produce amazing results.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

SWTOR has made many sweeping strides in MMO quality of life, but I think it will be some time before we see an MMO that only drops loot that the party can use.

In case anyone was wondering, I found three sets of adaptive armor that pretty well fit the bill of the Jedi Knight heavy armor under robes look:

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/03/09/honored-saberist/

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/03/09/dire-eliminator/

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/03/09/valiant-jedi/

Personally, I like Honored Saberist's the best. I'm pretty sure you could just rip the mods out if need be. That said, these are all around 800K a pop on The Harbinger's GTN, so it's going to be a little while before my Shadow looks just right.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 6, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Question, for Shadow/Assassin tanks, should you quest in your normal DPS technique or tank technique?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I really, really wish they'd taken all of Mass Effect's conversation system into SWTOR. One of the things I absolutely adored about ME2 and ME3 was that for purposes of conversation unlocks and some gear unlocks, it didn't matter which alignment path you took, only that you did take options. Your overall alignment score is a combination of your Paragon AND Renegade choices, so you can play however you want without fear of nerfing yourself. With SWTOR, neutral alignment punishes you because you can't use anything but very rare and expensive relics.

Random thought about Jedi Knight story spoilers: I'm shocked that Bioware lets people have Lord Scourge as a companion in places as public as The Fleet. That's kind of a gigantic spoiler for that story. At least with the Sith Warrior it's easy to guess that Jaesa will eventually be a companion, even if you don't know exactly how.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 7, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Ah, I figured that since low level ones were alignment locked, upper level ones would be as well. Also, IIRC, in ME2/3 it would only lock you out of options if you'd taken a huge number of neutral choices or it was COMPLETELY out of character, based on previous interactions of that type.

I have to say I'm god damned addicted to tanking. I find myself maxing out my mods on my level 27 Shadow Tank because maximum tankage.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

The multiple writer thing is obvious. Whoever designed Hammer Station is sane - the choice is take prisoners at the cost of making your life harder or execute them to make life easier. And then there's Athiss. The choice is save a bunch of innocents at no cost to yourself or let them go insane and die for shits and giggles.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I love how nonsensical the game is if you play Stealthy. For example, I stealthed through a whole mission to get to the bottom of a bunker, killing no one. At the bottom, the guard in the cutscene says "YOU BUTCHERED MY MEN!!!". Also, no spoilers, there's a Consular mission where you have to rescue a bunch of civilians. I stealthed my way there, then the story has them fan out to parts of the area to do vital tasks, conveniently ignoring the still living 100+ enemies.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

When doing FPs, take advantage of the Daily quests available from the supplies wing of the Fleet, or ask people to share. You can rack up TONS of Planetary Commendations, I'm pretty sure 10 a day are available from those and another 10 from the weekly. You get craptons of XP, too.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Is there a reason the first boss of Teral V is an average height, normally armored guy with a blaster rifle? In other words, he looks exactly like every other trash mob there? I literally didn't even consider that he might be an elite, let alone a boss when I first saw him.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

FireWhizzle posted:

I've been playing around on the GTN now that things have died down a little from the x-pac.

And then this happened...

Pubbies, listing things at whatever their fingers land on since 2011.

Insofar as I can tell, Crafting Mats is just an awful market. Pubbies consistently act against their own interests. In the spirit of CREDITS RIGHT NOW, they undercut each other continuously, I've seen stacks of mats be devalued by 50% because 5-7 idiots will think they are just so clever. And then there's the freaking yahoo who will put his stack of 99 on the market for 75% off.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Rascyc posted:

That's the best market if you are willing to put in some leg work. Pretty easy to just resell everything. I do it all the time and have made probably an easy million in like 3 days of spending maybe an hour a day fiddling with the AH. This is probably the easiest game ever to AH Baron so far, and I'm pretty much a newbie who doesn't have a clue what the market prices are supposed to even be :V

It's tough for us who don't have the capital for mass market manipulation :(

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I'd guess a lot of people who played Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 care more about the fact that Revan was originally canonically female in KotOR 2 than they do about any subsequent revisions that made Revan into a man.

I just go with the KOTOR 2 dialogue, one of the choices is something like: "What are you on about? Revan was a woman." There is no canon Revan even in KOTOR 2, it's defined by the first conversation you have with Atton. I did like that they had the guts to make the Exile female, at least. I would have hoped that either Revan or the Exile would have been Dark, but alas.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Tolan posted:

Anyone have suggestions for how to break up packs in FPs as the tank? I'm having a lot of trouble pulling mobs away from the CC'd mobs, which results in the generally retarded DPS breaking the CCs instantly with AOEs.

Specific advice for lowish (mid-20s) assassins would be handy, but I'll take any advice I can. The plethora of ranged mobs seems designed to make this as irritating as possible.

I'm a Shadow Tank. Your Taunt ability is your friend before you get Force Pull - Taunt them towards you and kick retarded DPS. It takes a while for DPS to learn what it's supposed to be doing For example, I remember one Mandalorian Raiders run where no one in the party was attacking the same enemy during the Battle Team boss fight. I'd explained and marked targets. The fight began when the Commando DPS attacked the Smuggler...and then never stopped.

Also, I agree. I hate what they did to Revan and the Exile, and I disliked the Sith Emperor as a villain. He's just the generic Power Level Over 9000 bad guy that KOTOR avoided. Nihilus was pretty well executed in KOTOR 2, at least.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I guess my view is probably biased in that I always heal for my 5-mans just to avoid those situations. I feel like I can account for almost any level of stupidity in a normal FP, short of a mob train.

A big part of the reason I switched to tanking is because the Tank seems to be the weak link the majority of the time. DPS can be off in outer space doing whatever, but if they don't break CC then they aren't actively harming you. Tanks I feel like can do that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

A very long con

That would require A LOT of self-loathing.

So my first attempts at mass market manipulation is not going so well. Retarded Pubbies have managed to un-corner my hold on the Phobium market...10 of them undercut each other until the price dropped 60%. I can't work like this! All over, it's like, "That guy's selling for 80K? Better cut 20K off my price."

• Locked thread