Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Mind over Matter posted:

Oh, well. That explains it, I read the patch notes but I missed that. drat. I understand why they would do that, but man that takes the wind out of my sails, I wish I could collection a mod-less version.

I guess that means I have to write an angry, incoherent post full of typos on the official forums. Dammit. :effort:

Don't forget to threaten with a class action law suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

kmzh posted:

The having to have a full set thing especially is a bit weird. Hopefully it'll get better as they get more input and the feature evolves. The one thing I'm looking forward to is unlocking the level 10 +41 crystals for everybody. That'll be really nice for alts.

Has anyone confirmed if this is doable, because drat will that be better than spending 400,000$ a pop on +41 power crystals.

\/\/ thank you sir.

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2013

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Maybe. Cyan-Blue Crit crystal was the one I tried.

EDIT:
Derelict Purple Crit was 240.
Pink-Purple Endurance was 60.
White-Black Endurance was 600.
Silver-Blue Power was 240.
Pink-Purple Power was 240.

And to confirm this doesn't work with stuff you bought of the GTN I gather? Or maybe I have just been unable to figure it all out yet.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Rianlee posted:

Wow, thank you all for the class responses! The Imperial side is starting to sound better and better...

It's better IMO and I have finished stories for all sides and classes. Also +1 for electrocuting everyone being a blast light or dark.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

vandalism posted:

I bought this game at release and was super disappointed; so much so that I got my game refunded. Now that it's free and seems better, I think I may try it again. Do lots of people still play? Will the leveling up areas be barren wastelands? Can I reasonably level through pvp? Can I kill ewoks?

1) Yes, especially since the release of Makeb.

2) No they won't, there is usually a healthy amount of people re-rolling.

3) Of course.

Fake edit: oh wait they may have been sand people you mindlessly slaughter. I know ewoks are at least in the game.

Real edit: it will be frustrating to not be a subscriber for you if that's what you remember and you don't have at least one character at 50. Credits will be a pain and exp drags on way slower.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yep, I did Corellia once with my Imperial characters, and that was it (other than story, of course). I kinda dug the story but I HATE the planet.

If I could have a golden ticket to skip one planet it would be Corellia. To be honest I can put up with just about anything but man my hatred for Corellia runs deep.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Protip: autorun is mouse 4. Bind it somewhere else if you don't have one.

Also, bind your interrupt to mouse 3 or something and mash it every time you see a channel start.

This, so many times this.

I would actually advocate for this (both points) in the OP.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

It's a lot of fun, because you're going to be doing the dailies with a group. Unlocking access to the Gree Mothership was pretty neat - it's a rep grind, but it was an enjoyable one.

Lets not forget main hand legacy weapons! Woohoo!

That's also a huge pull for the Gree event because it allows you to move unneeded or unusable 69's and 72's to the right character via a legacy mainhand. There is no other one of these available (that I know of) in the game.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I'd probably do the same but I've noticed that PvP queues during the week on my server really drop off about 11pm, so if I'm playing after that it's wait 5-10 minutes for a Warzone or go do quests. Which is a shame because I really love PvP healing and it's pretty much the only thing I like doing in groups in MMOs.

Why not queue for warzone and run missions until you level to where you want then cut bait and just to class whenever (or however) you hit the magic number for the planet.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

I was one of the dumb butts that bought this game outright at release. I hated it and put it down. Now I'm back for revenge.

I don't know poo poo about it really, so I have a basic question: At what level should I start giving a poo poo about what I'm doing? When it comes to MMOs, I find the low levels to be pretty boring, but generally enjoy the middle- and endgame.

Once early, when you pick your specialization. But I suppose you should sort of care about gear upgrades and whatnot all the way through. Then, pretty much you ride it out till 55.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Hakarne posted:

So I thought I'd come back and check out the game again. I left right before they went F2P, and holy poo poo their model is insulting. I should have known coming back to this game would be painful when the first thing I see after logging in is a loving table showing the 20+ variations between a paying and preferred account. I logged back in on my agent and saw he had his headgear showing, and the option to hide it is disabled until I get a subscription? :rolleyes: That's pretty drat ridiculous, but whatever it's not exactly game changing.

Then I open my inventory. I had a bunch of cash saved up on my character (I don't remember exactly how much), but now I'm down to the capped 350,000 for untermensch preferred players. Ignoring what I think about capping how much currency you can have on their F2P model, why the gently caress would you take away cash from people you want to return to your game? I guess I should be happy, because at least they were up front about how much they want to dick you over until you pay them a sub fee. It just boggles my mind that their big F2P model is designed around pissing you off and irritating you, especially if you've played previously. My "return" lasted all of 5 minutes, so good job on your business model!

Edit: I guess my question is, did I just get a really bad first impression or is everything else with the game going to be a lesson in frustration if I attempt to play without a sub fee?

vv It's hard to even look at it like that when they straight-up destroyed currency because I didn't have a sub when they established their credit limit. Thanks for the feedback though, good to know!

I mean all that to say this issue was early adopters of the game who played left them searching for a new business model when they all peaced.

As for their business model agree or not its working hella well, it has raised their revenue on this game immensely. Not to mention the huge increase in players, and there are rising sub numbers to since.

To address your question though, they will screw you to your last dime without a sub. It's only really ok if you don't play WZ and FP's much. If you have a level 50 you can largely make credits and pay for the upgrades you need, but it will be a grind, and isn't all that fun.

Edit: it's like 9 million people posted before I finished mine. Geez.

Also, I understand some of your grievances and I can't go as hard on this dude because he bought the game. So for him it's not really free.

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 20, 2013

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Haerc posted:

Some pubbie in general recently mentioned that the Jedi Knight storyline was pretty much KotOR 3. Is there any truth to this?

Also, in the last thread, someone mentioned there was a way to level alts using only story quests? How would I go about doing this? I want to level an alt, but the thought of repeating all those "turn in 10 boar asses" quests isn't too appealing.

Run your PVP-FP dailies and a few heroics and you'll never need to turn in boar asses again!

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

tallian posted:

Bioware isn't putting them on the GTN, pubbies are.

I rest my case.

They

Archonex posted:

Do they just port over cash like how they sound like they work, or do they actually increase your cap?

If it's the former i'm not sure how you could really break even with them unless the market got flooded with instances of the escrow transfers popping up. Maybe if they show up in lockboxes too that'd help balance it out. Otherwise you're still trading real life cash/potentially looking at lots of lost money for a one time transfer.

They just port over they aren't a forever increase. But relative to their CC cost they are super cheap 5k for the cheapest on my server I believe. Barely anything for an F2P player who subbed once and can run dailies on X, Makeb, and Black Hole once per diem. I really think the escrow thing has worked out great so far.

Also they are so cheap often players on my server will toss an ask out for someone to buy one on fleet in exchange for coin and it's never a problem. Not is it for F2P players in a guild, but then again nothing was ever really hard for them since you can buy crew skill unlocks, X access and other things through guild members who then just get reimbursed over time.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Kaysette posted:

People who have been around longer than three weeks: Anything I should know about the Gree event before it starts tomorrow?

I'm gonna hit 45 tonight so I should be eligible. Just do the dailies and quests there to gain as much rep as possible?

Yessir. Also if you can find a crew to run with everyday it will make your life way easier.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I didn't know they capped my credits. I quit a month after release and came back about two days ago. I noticed I had 350k credits, which I just assumed is what I had when I quit. If I sub, do I get my missing credits back or is it...gone...for good?

Edit: I should have continued reading. It's in escrow!

They push out of escrow and you get them back.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

They're both pretty easy to solo at level 50 and up assuming you have at least the rakata mods from the planetary vendor. :confused:

My favourite is going in as my 72 aug'd out maurauder to just complete the drat quests, then running into assholes who try to stop you and calling in all my guildies to ruin their day and control the whole area for the Empire. It's made especially hilarious when you make a raid group of 72's and spreading out across the area and not letting anyone from the other side kill any low level troopers for the initial part.

That being said I only do this when I have been attacked while minding my own business.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm in full 69. I'm not sure how you think one level 50 in Rakata gear is going to be able to take on like 4 other players at once?

Yea, who may also very well be in exactly the same thing. It's simply not realistic in the more enemy populated servers unless you're with friends.

Stealth is sweet of you have that too!

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008
Why aren't expansions content? Not trying to be facetious just trying to understand what you mean? I considered RotHC to be some pretty enjoyable content and now I'm wondering what I was thinking as I haven't played in a couple weeks.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Ah Internet fail, I didn't even understand your emoticon until I saw it in plain text.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

spanko posted:

Subscribers are upset because there is a 6 month gap between new content for subscribers. As a sub you had to pay for the "expansion". Yes its content but its content subscribers had to pay for. What is the $15 a month people who have been subbed since February getting them exactly? $5/month in cartel coins.

Ah that makes sense I've been a sub for 6 or so months now and I always just assumed it was for all the character slots, credit cap, etc.

Makes sense though I definitely understand the grievance.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Red Crown posted:

So, what exactly is the benefit of playing a Warrior/Knight without an advanced class? You seem to miss out on a lot in terms of lacking a skill tree.

It's a bad joke. Pick an advanced class.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Promethium posted:

Watchman sentinels have more buildup time, you have to put up all your debuffs and build your Merciless/Juyo stacks while the gunslingers are opening up right away with their heavy damage abilities. In the long run sentinels are still very good. That being said, most of the endgame sentinels/marauders I've seen are running Combat/Carnage and it is probably the better dps spec for now, though it's harder to play properly.

I'm spec'd up carnage and am mostly 69's with a spatter of 72's with augments and it's pretty fantastic DPS when parsed and just from what I've seen. The rotation can be a bit tricky and you really need to manage your rage stacks so that you ensure crits and get your towering rage buffs, but if you can do it it's pretty awesome.

I tend to rotate with charge then battering assault to start with a hit or two to max out rage then cycle into gore (which largely gets put on cd as your often tossed a free one) then massacre for my buff with ravage quickly jumping to force scream (triggering buff from massacre), free saber throw, double saber throw if your feeling extra saucy as well. Also that free Saber throw is just lovely.

Cloak of pain and predation on cd with camo for de-agg. Relics as well usually for +330 power and surge.

If you toss in choke in Heroic 4's with friends and FP's (though its largely useless in Ops) it's a great way to build that little bit of rage needed to full pop and toss in an extra massacre. Then rinse and repeat.

Again it's a bit of a bitch to get used to but once you do, if your able to get good at positioning yourself accordingly you'll be loving it! I promise you that.

Fake edit: don't forget about good ole Bloodthirst (or whatever the Jedi version is)

Tldr: basically keep rage up and rotate between massacre, ravage when you can, and scream.

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 28, 2013

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

Prophecy of the Five Empire Goons - I'd really, really like to see the operations past EC, but I'd rather not rely on pick-up groups. Would anyone want to consider forming a weekly raid group who want to see the actual stories too? My Assassin Tank is 55 with all purple 66 armorings/mods and I'm doing 55 Hard Modes (can breeze through any of the regular ones) to get back in practice. I also have a 55 Marauder in 66s, and my Merc healer will be 55 this weekend, so I can do pretty much any role.

I'd like to get a group going where we just meet up one night a week and run whatever we can...anyone interested? Shoot me a PM or email me at my SA username at Gmail.com. I have a mumble server set up for my empty guild, we could use that...

Man I can't loving wait for server transfers I'd be so down.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

That's No Goon has been raiding since launch and is still going strong. Since I got in the raid group a little over a year ago, the longest I can remember that we didn't run weekly raids was a stretch of about 3 weeks right before Makeb came out.

There's been people coming and going all the time, but right now we have more coming than going. Right now we're at a steady 8-man team with a couple irregulars/backups, but there are several folks leveling up and waiting in the wings. Assuming we don't have a sudden mass exodus, we might be able to start running 16-mans within the next month.

As soon as there are server transfers I wanna bring over my 69/72 marauder! I want to raid with goons so bad!

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

How is HK-51 as a companion? I was thinking about trying to start the deal to get him but not sure how it would go. I have a level 50 powertech BH that I shelved just before 2.0.

He's pretty fantastic as an RDPS especially when you et your presence bonuses.

He tosses out unreal dps because he gets all of his moves which are awesome.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

boneration posted:

No... the speeder came with Improved Speeder Piloting I so I assumed that would come with the claim. I take it I was wrong :(

Yea you definitely need that either legacy or char unlocked to use it unfortunately.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Something always feels wrong with regular swords instead of light sabers for jedi.

I feel the same way, I am sitting on an unbound honour sword because I just can't bring myself to swap out a LS for it.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008
I mean, I don't know if I was thinking about it all the same way as you guys but I never really imagined bringing everyone over. I always thought it was just nice to be able to transfer my legacy unlocks and one or two characters over to the Goon server while my mains and whatnot stayed with my main raid team. More interesting though is what this will do to the economy.

Can money come with me? Items? Mats and comms?

If so I see prices declining sharply on PvP servers or servers that have heightened demand and minimal supply. Also what about legacy gear, flipping it all to a new server could allow for so many options in terms of powering yourself up quickly in a brand new environment.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

There is literally almost no difference between a PvP server and a PvE one. I am on POT5 and almost never see someone from the other faction outside of a Warzone or datacron hunting. This isn't like the old Everquest days of a PvP server being impossible to raid on.

And I don't think there's a difference between sending legacy gear to a new level 1 character on your own server or a new server. Gear doesn't matter (much) until endgame anyway.

Yea your probably right as for endgame stuff if it saves me from needed to get new 72's for a character I roll on another server I am a happy man.

Not to mention 10's of hours less in NM Ops.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

wtftastic posted:

"I need it for my comp, lol" after needing on an item someone else needs for their character should be grounds to have the person in questioned jettisoned from the group.

And they should lose every loving thing they rolled for too, I hate that person so much. All of those people, gently caress em. They should burn /rant

But honestly those people are the worst.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Your healers can't prevent an enrage, you can. If your healers are that terrible your raid group is hosed anyways.

That's what I was going to say but you beat me to it.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Strategy posted:

I'm confused on the cartel visual armor, I want to get the Sanctified Caretaker armor set for my Sith warrior, can I pull the mods out of green gear and use that or do I have to buy mods with Planetary Commendations?

I'm only level 11 and only have 7 commendations so far for the planet I'm on, will I be gimping myself if I use it with no mods?

You can only pull from orange and purple gear. You will be gimping yourself if you use it with nothing inside (I am assuming by mods you are including armouring and enhancements). Use green gear until you can at least toss basic mods, enhancements and armouring into your orange stuff.

Edit: what server are you on; we are goon, and we can help.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

ravis posted:

What they've said is that they aren't currently working on it because its "hard" but they would definitely like to have it sometime in the future.
So i guess we will see it around 2016. :(

Just hurry up and give me my loving server transfers already and stop complaining that things are hard. Jesus if I complained things were so hard and missed deadlines as often as Bioware at work I'd be fired.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

gently caress cross server PVP, cross server Group Finder would be amazing. I could only imagine how much shorter queues would be, even for DPS.

Nah we talked about this earlier, it wouldn't be any shorter for DPS because the ratio of tanks and healers is on average the same on every server, so in the end DOS would be waiting either way.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Every company that has ever made an MMO has drastically underestimated how hard they are to create and maintain. Even WoW, the most successful - the Thunderdome Champ of MMOs - took years and years to implement server transfers. Frankly, I'm impressed SWTOR is what it is right now.

But it blows my mind none of that information and precedent is considered in release announcements. Also, was WoW the first major MMO to do it? I would expect trailblazers to take a long time and misrepresent the timeline by accident, but usually companies don't actually announce things and the specific release date until they know they can deliver. It tanks the investors trust in potential future announcements.

Anyway, I'm just saying, I love SWTOR but they aren't trailblazing this, maybe a few past implementing personnel in past similar circumstances would have been a good hire before getting in on this stuff.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

WarLocke posted:

:cripes: I must have skimmed over that bit. OK, yeah, if you get to 55 and can't be bothered to stick any sort of mod at all into oranges, I would kick you too.

For me as long as they don't get in the way and 3 of us are very well geared I don't mind but it's things like wearing basically nothing with no mods that really boils my blood. There is no excuse anymore with the widespread proliferation of 61+ gear in SM FP's and all round sweet drops on Makeb. Even running dailies and weeklies will get you pretty well sorted in some cases. It's a real shame people don't put in the minimal effort needed to at least compete.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Kaysette posted:

Wow, my biggest cartel item flipping profit is 700k. Nice one. A few people put racial unlocks up last night for about half their true value, hopefully I can resell them this week. I guess they were in the crates that just got released so the market flooded a bit. My hope is that double XP weekends will increase demand for them for new alts.

Would anyone be able to run Foundry HM tonight with my DPS merc? Need my last HK piece so I can unlock an assassin buddy for my operative.

Race unlocks were also 60% off this week in a pack that included literally every single one, so I think a few people were buying them and marking them down in credits as well.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

I hit 55 with my Scoundrel, who I used to PVP with all the time. I assume she's going to be better off with her normal gear (mostly 66s with a few 69s scattered) than pulling out her old mix of Recruit mk2, War Hero and Battlemaster gear?

Yes, definitely.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I don't recall whether they're Bind on Legacy (and would work like WoW Heirlooms) or BoE, but either way with Collections that's not a big issue, because for a small fee you can grab them on all your characters. Note, though, that some of the earlier (I assume; at the end of the list anyway) armor pieces come with mods in them already, and those you can't claim from Collections (presumably to keep you from getting infinite mods ripped out of them).

Cartel Market equipment is Adaptive; this means that any character can wear it and it will act like the best type of armor that character can wear. The same exact set (assuming identical armoring) will provide minimal armor on a Sage (light armor), but more armor for a Scoundrel (medium armor) and even more for a Trooper (it will be heavy armor in this case). Just as a side note social gear you buy from cantinas works this way as well.

They are bind on equip and then you can pay cc to unlock for legacy in collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Agraya posted:

I'd be down for that if you're on Prophecy of the Five. Probably not since most goons seem not to be but throwing it out there anyway.

Ditto if you're on Shadowlands but gently caress me sideways no one is on Shadowlands.

• Locked thread