Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I only had time to check briefly this morning but as far as I can tell all of the items I had previously bought off the GTN were added to collections as soon as I logged in to the appropriate character. The Hutt holostatue didn't add right away but moving it between cargo and inventory seemed to fix the issue.

My main annoyance right now is that the new customization unlocks are restricted to species so you can only get new hairstyles and eye colors for humans and not say, cyborgs, even though they have the same default hair options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Psyker posted:

How are Snipers in endgame? Or, is there a current rundown on each class and how they perform?

Snipers are very good at the moment and probably the ideal ranged dps to bring to a raid.

Marksmanship: Easy to play, energy-efficient, very good for rapid target-switching encounters. Reliant on being in cover almost all the time, but the extra-effective Entrench means you can often use that to ignore mechanics where other classes might have to move around. Orbital strike is also improved and some people recommend using the 2-piece PvP set bonus to take advantage.

Engineering: Difficult to play, requires melee range and rapid cover/noncover switches to maximize potential, excellent AoE capabilities. For very specific fights this will be the highest dps by a fair margin, but I wouldn't run it for learning new encounters.

Lethality: Easy to play, there's a set rotation around using Cull on cooldown that you will almost never deviate from. Somewhat dependent on the 4-piece PvE set bonus for optimal energy management. Not as cover-dependent as Marksmanship since you can apply your poisons / cull without dropping into cover.

Lethality/Engineering hybrid (taking Interrogation Probe) is also viable, the rotation is trickier than pure Lethality and energy is harder to manage but it plays in about the same style otherwise.

(As mentioned in the OP you can check TORParse to see how the average dps breaks down between classes. Some of the classes have outliers like the one operative who can put out 3000 dps and everyone else is a few hundred behind.)

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

Once you get Talos and talk with him a bit, he'll tell you about Lord Kallig's reputation for being unusually friendly/ fond of aliens. So either, you know, he was an alien, you are the offspring of him and some alien or Kallig's fondness for aliens got him killed and his family ensalved. There are a lot of ways to make it work regardless of your character's species.

Re: Inquisitor

If you are playing an alien yourself, Talos also has a line telling you that Kallig was an alien; otherwise it's left vague to make the family connection still work. As far as playing a pureblood goes, the Sith had a caste system that included some of their own species among the slave caste, perhaps along 'racial' lines that would be easy for other Sith to see.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally if you are not getting credit for Saving Face it is very likely because someone in your group started the detonation step and skipped ahead before you looted the explosives yourself. It is a rather poorly designed quest in that regard since everyone in the group has to loot the explosives off the dead body instead of just one player.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

And HM Dashruude is insanely hard compared to SM- maybe its because I'm not in full 72s yet, but man.

It was very hard when we first did it but has become much easier after the dps are geared up. The way it's designed, with a high minimal baseline to be able to kill the respawning adds in time, makes incremental dps improvements very noticeable.

We used to have a lot of trouble with HM Thrasher too but another guild helpfully pointed out that you don't actually need to use the Roar mechanic to remove the invulnerability shields on the sniper adds, they drop as soon as someone gets into melee range.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Can you still pull them?

According to a post on dulfy.net they cannot be pulled (or leaped to) while the shields are still up. There's a non-shielded demolitionist off to a side that can be used to jump up provided there's no line of sight wonkiness, but we leave an offtank+healer up there full time.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

kmzh posted:

O_o Are you sure? Maybe it's different between 8 and 16 man but I swear in 16-man HM, we've wiped because the offtank taunted the boss too early and so the shields didn't get dropped by Roar. And melee were already up trying to kill the snipers.

I looked around for a video of this strategy and this one has a topside tank PoV that shows the shield typically dropping as soon as the top team starts hitting the snipers. It is 8-man though, I haven't any experience with 16.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

KittyEmpress posted:

So, apparently people are getting suspensions for sticking CM +41 stat crystals into legacy gear to send off to alts on their legacy, due to the fact that it bypasses the Collections system and allows them to start making infinite on every character without paying the Cartel Coin cost for unlocking the collection for their account.

Might want to avoid doing that, guys.

As an update Bioware have clarified that transferring the cartel market crystals with legacy items is perfectly fine:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6346255#post6346255

There was a way to use duplicated crystals to generate infinite credits prior to a recent patch, and they were suspending some players who used that exploit. In doing so they mistakenly marked a number of accounts who had duplicated crystals without using them for the exploit, and those suspensions have now been reversed.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I'm not basing my comment on any stats... just perception based on the groups i was in today. It seemed like the couple gunslingers i was grouped with over the course of the morning would melt things a lot faster than my sentinel would. Not sure if that's just a weird perception, or if they actually are doing more damage. I've never looked at other skill trees... always thought watchman was considered a good pve tree.

Watchman sentinels have more buildup time, you have to put up all your debuffs and build your Merciless/Juyo stacks while the gunslingers are opening up right away with their heavy damage abilities. In the long run sentinels are still very good. That being said, most of the endgame sentinels/marauders I've seen are running Combat/Carnage and it is probably the better dps spec for now, though it's harder to play properly.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Whenever I feel like doing Makeb dailies I'll hit all the GSI missions on the side since they are quick enough and unlike the other planets there are no particularly frustrating ones.

Some thoughts on the ones you might want to avoid or be aware of:

Big Red (Alderaan): If I don't come across the random thranta location while doing the other quests I abandon it and leave; some of the possible locations are very out of the way and it's not worth checking all of them (especially not with the Alderaan taxi network layout).

Daily Forecast (Alderaan): Requires you to scan 4 weather towers in various different zones. A bit lengthy but at least it's not random. You don't have to go to the quest markers: some of the towers are visible from the next zone over so you can save some time if you know where to look from.

[Heroic 2+] Warped To The Core (Hoth): Rather difficult to solo unless you are a stealth class: with stealth you can just walk straight to the end and pick up the quest items.

Forged In Fire (Hoth): It seems incredibly random whether each volcano contains the embersteel, I would personally skip this one for sanity reasons.

Scanning the Depths (Tatooine): Random locations again, can be annoying.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The end quest of Jedi Knight Chapter 2 is one of the better moments in the game in my opinion, though it's also one that could clearly be much improved if it were not shackled to the MMO format.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Hell a lot of people have problems with that spawn in hard mode.

Saber Reflect is the best thing, trivializes so many otherwise annoying hard mode pulls. I only wish it had a decent animation.

As for slow-regeneration due to lacking resource, I imagine a lot of people simply don't know. It's explained in a codex entry in a somewhat vague way and you don't really need to know it while soloing, so you can easily level up for quite a while without understanding why your energy sometimes regenerates slowly. If you notice someone burning out consistently you might inform them how it works.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

So, while I'm waiting on pro tips for improved Rage DPS for my smash jugg, what are the rotations that are supposed to be used? I'll usually Force Leap in, use Sundering Assault to finish building rage, then hit with Obliterate, then Force crush. Once I hit three charges of the thing that adds 33% crit chance to smash, I smash. Then I follow through with Force Choke, Ravage, and rebuild rage as needed (using other abilities as I wait for CDs on Sundering Assault and Obliterate).

My DPS just isn't up to snuff, and I'm not sure if its just because I tend to be too tentative or if because I'm totally clown shoes at my rotation and can't tell my rear end from my elbow.

Rage DPS is about using shockwave-critical Smash as often as possible. You have two ways of building shockwave, Force Crush and Enrage, so alternate them between uses of Smash. You also have two ways of generating the auto-crit in Force Charge and Obliterate, though you won't be using Force Charge mid-fight for the most part, so the general idea is to:

Force Charge, Enrage, Smash
Force Crush, (high-priority fillers like Ravage), Obliterate, (low-priority fillers, all of which reduce the active cooldown of Obliterate/Smash/Enrage), Smash
(fillers), Enrage, Obliterate, Smash

From there on just pair every Smash with an Obliterate and either a Force Crush or Enrage. You can also start off with Force Charge, Force Crush, Sundering Assault, Smash -- this gets the armor debuff up right away in case it is necessary.

Don't use Force Choke in a rotation unless you need the stun effect.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 13, 2013

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The female version of the Relaxed sets seem to be based on Ahsoka Tano's outfit from the animated series. It doesn't really register on the weirdness scale for me but maybe I've been desensitized to video game armors.

Yesterday I ran a random queue Scum & Villainy with a few guildmates and about halfway through two people disconnected and we had some trouble re-queueing (the queue button became greyed out) even after manually inviting some replacements. Doing it through the queue gives you the quest reward for additional ultimate commendations, so here's a workaround in case it happens to anyone else:

- Disband the group of 8 entirely
- Reinvite into two separate groups of 4
- Each group independently queues, make sure 'match groups in progress' is toggled on (it's off by default)
- When the group matcher confirmation box comes up, make sure you are matched with the other group and also that it is for the desired instance (S&V in this case, not TFB) before confirming. If either of these don't match, decline the confirmation. The point of splitting into two groups is that you can avoid getting queued for the other instance. If you are getting the correct instance but not the right people, put the random people you see in the group matcher on your ignore list and then re-queue until you are matched with the other group of 4.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

All you should have had to do was to disband the group (its a gf group at that point), reset all phases, reform the group (now a non gf group) then as soon as the group leader queues it'll pop; decline if its the wrong thing.

I don't think there's a confirmation box if you already have a full group, for example if you queue for a HM flashpoint with a full group of 4 it'll just go directly to the "transport to instance" step instead of giving you the decline option.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There's a third-party tool, Tor Assistant, that can be configured to call out some buffs/timers with audio cues.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
If you can get even 3-4 people together who want to raid and have a tank+healer in the mix it's easy enough to queue for the story mode operations, that's basically what people in my guild do when there are people online and it's not a scheduled hm/nightmare run. (We're on Pot5 too, I just hesitate to advertise the guild since it's one night of knocking out all the 8-man hardmodes and then six days of relative ghost town -- though I guess it's now also one more night of banging against some nightmare mode boss.)

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Al Baron posted:

Are the new appearance options available at character creation or are they only at the kiosk? Are they account-wide?

Once they are unlocked you can use them at creation as well. I'm not 100% sure if they are account wide but I assume they are, like the Cathar unlock.

Red Crown posted:

I'm really disappointed in the Basic gear offerings. Elite looks good, but Basic has all the wrong stats for tanks. Instead of Shield/Absorb, most of it is...Defense/Alarcity. Defense isn't entirely useless, but Alarcity is. I feel pretty well caught in the middle, my gear is just barely good enough for 55 HM Flashpoints, some trash pulls still melt me.

It is their way of manufacturing more of an endgame gear grind, a lot of purchased/non-set items are intentionally poorly itemized, alacrity is the worst offender. I really dislike this system (vs. making all stats actually useful) but I guess it does create some incentive to keep doing the same content for optimal mods.

Story mode ops = Arkanian set (69)
Hard mode ops = Underworld (72)
Nightmare = Kell Dragon (75)

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
You are a shadow tank, right?

- You can buy the crafted 66 hilts on the GTN very cheaply, they are the same quality as the Makeb weapons and this way you don't need to grind reputation.
- Make sure your earpiece/implants are upgraded. Again you should be able to buy the blue-quality items off the GTN cheaply.
- Upgrade relics when possible, by either basic comms or pvp (probably the faster option).
- Consider using augment kits on your gear. The MK-9 level augment kits are expensive but you only have to ever use one per armor slot. The augments themselves are cheap if you just buy the blue quality ones. If you are undergeared you should probably be looking for Shield or Absorb augments. No need to go crazy on these if you can't afford the price but they do help quite a bit.

At this point you're all 66'd out so you are good to go for the 55 HMs. Undergeared shadows are the most squishy tanks to be fair, so use consumables: a prototype nano-infused fortitude stim will give you around 15k extra health I think. The rest is just knowing the specific flashpoints and when you need to be using cooldowns. The primary ones are obviously Deflection (+50% defense), Battle Readiness (15% instant heal, +25% damage reduction), Resilience (immune to tech/force attacks, removes debuffs). If I know I'm about to go into a difficult pull and cooldowns are not ready then I tell the group to wait until they are.

Not long ago I healed a 55 assassin tank who had slotted mostly strength mods into his gear and seemed to use Wither/Discharge once every 2 minutes but we still cleared the flashpoint, so I'm sure you're far from the worst tank that groups have to deal with.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Ravenfood posted:

So, I have my Cybertech at 400/400, but I need 401 to train advanced cybertech (and scavenging I guess?) How do I get that extra 1 point, because what I've been crafting so far doesn't seem to do it. Preferred player at lvl 46 currently.

You should be able to purchase Advanced Cybertech directly from the trainer once you are at 400, assuming you have purchased the Makeb expansion (I think it's locked to 400 if you haven't).

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Charles De Mar posted:

A buddy and I were gonna play this for a bit, if I drop the cash on cartel coins can I get him the race he wants and trade it to him?

The species unlocks create tradeable items and can be bought off the in-game auction market too. There might be a short window of time after buying a cartel item when you aren't allowed to trade (2 days?) but it will unbind eventually if so.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

Is this correct?

It is. And the color orbs that spawn in hard/nightmare will appear on the left/right sides of the diagram and then float around but they will avoid the center boss circle.

A few weeks ago we failed that fight on nightmare mode when one of the raid members suddenly disconnected. A while later he sends a text message explaining his dad had forcibly pulled his internet connection out of the wall and he was indisposed for the rest of the week.

He's now left the guild to join one that raids even more often.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

Any POT5 goons want to try out the new flashpoints tomorrow night? I want to try a few of them out but would really rather not completely pug it. Can tank, DPS, or heal, Empire or Republic side.

If I'm around I'll be in the in-game Goons channel. They aren't difficult though as long as you've decent gear, I've pugged the hardmodes a couple times as a tank and not had issues even when half the group had never done it and didn't know the mechanics.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
We've been running an assassin tank paired with a juggernaut and cleared almost all the Nightmare mode content (save for Styrak) and haven't had any serious issues with tank durability. They are squishier but you won't hate yourself for playing one.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there an up-to date guide to endgame crafting? Apparently you can make raid-level mods with it?

The following applies to Cybertech/Artifice/Armstech as they make the insertable mods:

For 66 mods you craft them with the usual process of learning the green recipes from a trainer and re-engineering up to blue/purple.

For 69 and 72 mods you need to pull an existing purple mod out of an item (which you can acquire from fps/raids) and RE that for a 20% chance at learning the purple recipe. Then you need to craft them using rare reagents, typically involving some Mass Manipulators (drops from raids, quite rare, each one costs ~400k on POT5), Exotic Elements (drops from flashpoints/raids), or Isotope-5 (bought with commendations).

75 mods cannot currently be crafted but I think they will be after the next patch.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
After you get Speed Shot it will basically go:

Speed Shot, Trickshot, Burst Volley (if cooled down), Speed Shot, Trickshot;
Charged Burst, Charged Burst, Trickshot;
Aimed Shot, Trickshot;

then possibly Charged Burst or other fillers until Speed Shot is available again. Ideally you'll want to throw Vital Shot in as well but it's not a huge loss of dps if you don't, and it only matters on bosses anyway since most things die faster than the DoT duration. Depending on the exact spec you might throw Sabotage Charge in when you have excess energy.

Something I've started doing recently is to leave cover and immediately drop back in if it looks like my energy will top off within the next couple pulses. This activates Snap Shot to instantly consume some energy so that I'm not wasting the regen pulse, as well as refresh the damage reduction from Ballistic Dampers.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Thumbtacks posted:

Is that the order of priority? I always assumed Aimed Shot with two charges of Charged Aim would take priority over Charged Burst.

It's more the order of usage, so that you always do the Charged Burst x2, Trickshot combo (and thus have the 2 stacks) before you use Aimed Shot.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Thumbtacks posted:

Oh. Then yes, you have to finish Oricon's story questline. (I've only heard it referred to as "attuned", so I wasn't sure. Thought you meant security key, for some reason.)

Finishing the quests isn't even needed, you just have to land on the planet and physically go to the operation entrances on the east end of the map. The two visible entrances both lead to the Dread Fortress, while the one that's behind the teleporters leads to the Dread Palace.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought you had to take the speeder and it wasn't connected?

You don't have to unlock fast transport before zoning in to the operations. It's easier to get there once you have the speeders, but going through the monster-infested roads works fine. Just be careful not to stumble into the heroic area.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

The Locator posted:

E: On the 'looks' department. Is there a decent way to screenshot your character like someone else did earlier in the thread? Doesn't seem to be a way to get a good view (and the lighting in the game is normally horrible to boot). Maybe I just need to hunt for the hotkey to disable the UI (assuming there is one), and zoom in and screenshot that way.

If you use one of the Appearance Designers (there's one in the Cartel Bazaar section of the fleet), you can get a high quality, well lit, and freely zoomed and rotated view. The downside is that you can't draw a weapon or pose with it.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I actually did solo the FE storymode a couple times at 50 for the (at the time) unique class-specific drops. If you wanted a moddable white imperial uniform you had to do either FE or Karagga's Palace, and the latter is way more time-consuming, random, and you'd have to roll against other people. The loot table has changed since then and there's no particular reason to do it now unless you enjoy that sort of thing or are really impatient about waiting on queues, but there's still some unique dialogue if you are soloing it.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Thumbtacks posted:

Smuggler story is pretty good, I think. You're basically a space pirate.

During Beta didn't Tracer Missile launch off the back? I could have sworn it had a better animation than a wrist rocket.

It was still launched off the back early on after release, but was eventually changed since despite being a good animation in isolation it looked terrible when you spammed it nonstop.

1.2 Patch Notes: Tracer Missile and Fusion Missile's animations have been exchanged by popular demand from the community.

As for Galactic Starfighter, it's the only thing I log in to play at this point and it's fun enough, like pvp without nearly as much gear grind or anyone yelling at you when you screw up.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The Noxxic page on marksmanship snipers is complete nonsense. Go to the official class forum for reasonable advice (though it'll be more tailored for endgame).

As you make your way up the Marksmanship tree, before you get Followthrough you'll just want to stick to Ambush and Snipe while keeping your energy above 60. Of these, Ambush has the better damage/energy ratio and built in armor penetration through talents so prioritize it. After you pick up Followthrough it'll become the backbone of your rotation as you proceed by cooldown through the different ways of getting it to light up (Ambush+Followthrough, Series of Shots+Followthrough, Snipex2+Followthrough). There are some more advanced tricks for energy management and timing that separate an exceptional sniper from a decent one but "Followthrough as often as possible" is a good baseline to work from.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Ainsley McTree posted:

Good to know, thanks! What about the other abilities early on? Is it worth it to use stuff like corrosive dart and explosive probe, or should I really just be saving my energy for Snipe and Ambush?

You can use them but for most enemies it won't make much of a difference. Corrosive Dart runs over 15 seconds and in theory is worth using if the fight lasts that long, but it also breaks your crowd control options like Flashbang or Slice Droid; you'd see more use out of it if you go up the Lethality tree. Explosive Probe is nice if you need a sudden burst of damage since it detonates the next time you hit the target, but its damage/energy ratio is pretty poor unless you go into Engineering.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

I've found that most bad Sorc healers cast the healing circle ALL THE TIME in Flashpoints, when realistically it shouldn't be used very often at all. Bubbles and the heal over time are your best friends, circles should only be used if there is unavoidable AOE damage.

Standing in the healing circle is the sorcerer's primary means of regenerating Force, though ideally one ought to throw it down so that it is also healing the tank at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
A few more things, perhaps more for mid-level range:

- As a Shadow you can use Mind Maze before engaging to remove one enemy from the fight, and IIRC in Taral V it will let you entirely skip some trash pulls.

- With SWTOR's aggro formulas, it is not at all likely for anything to peel off towards the healer after you've already hit it, unless what you're fighting specifically has an aggro-drop move. Know which things do that and save your taunt accordingly.

- If the enemies are too spread out and you want to bunch them up to let you AoE consistently, use Line of Sight pulling: hit one of them from range and then run back around a corner and wait for them to come.

- Mid-level tanks are not substantially more resilient than the average dps (and marksman snipers are arguably better on single targets). If occasionally they are pulling off of you on trash, it's fine to let them tank for a bit. Deliberately splitting enemy attention can even save your life.

• Locked thread