Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Nice OP - you might want to add a section about roles - Healer/Tank/DPS, since we get the question "I want to heal, which class should I pick?" a lot in the thread. I can write up a healer breakdown if you want, and a tank one...but limited experience as DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VonLudwig posted:

Sure, I'd appreciate it. PM me whatever you can, I can add something about DPS.

Here's a slightly updated version of the last rundown I posted for healers, see if anyone has anything to add -

Mercenary/Commando - Good at single target healing with decent AOE heals, super easy to manage heat. Things get rough when aggro gets out of control. Wears heavy armor so takes less of a beating when you have a tank that can't handle things. Capable of doing some serious "OH poo poo" heals with the instant cast heal, and the ability to turn their biggest heal INTO an instant cast and/or heat free one every few minutes. Can DPS a bit too from range, with some big hitters. With recent changes, their AOE jet boost heals friendly targets in range for a moderate amount, and their 4 person instant Kolto Missle/bomb now leaves behind a residue that heals anyone in it's vicinity for a small amount. Has one combat usable 60 second CC.

Operative/Scoundrel - Probably the best healer in PVP, and best single-target PVE healer. Requires a bit more forethought and prep than the Merc to heal as they rely heavily on heals over time. Requires a bit more observational skills to make sure 2 stacks of probe are up all the time. Free heal is great, so you rarely run out of energy, but you have to stand still while using it, unlike the Merc/Commando who runs around shooting green bullets. Another advantage of the free heal is that it can actually restore energy when it crits. AOE heal is a bit confusing at first, because it's a Heal Over Time, and figuring out where to target it takes a minute sometimes. Also has some good close range DPS with shotgun blast/backstab. Some heals require upper hand/tactical advantage which is gained several ways, including coming out of stealth. Has an instant small heal that will re-grant UH/TA if used against someone at 30% health or less. Has a 60 second out of combat “sap” CC, as well as a 60 second combat usable droid-only CC. Has an AOE grenade that can stun several targets for a long length of time. Also can use stealth to sneak around, and drop agro in the case of an upcoming party wipe.

Sorcerer/Sage - Definitely best raid healer, thanks to AOE heal hitting all 8 members instead of 4. Has a “bubble” which will absorb a large amount of damage that can be put on a target once every 60 seconds. Does not have a “free” heal, acts like a traditional RPG healer with all heals costing mana…er, “Force”. Has some heals which trigger procs to improve others, but are mostly independent of each other. Has the least amount of armor due to wearing light armor, though at 51 they get an “invincible” bubble which protects them for up to 10 seconds from all harm. With recent patches, their cone-shaped AOE heals allies in range of it for a small amount. Has a 60 second combat usable CC.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Patch Notes posted:

•Whispers sent to an offline character will no longer be forwarded to an online character on the same account.

Awww that was actually a nice feature. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I definitely like that the color crystals can now be unlocked via collections. I had a +41 Power and a +41 Endurance one that I was holding onto in case I made a new alt, instead I sold them for obscene amounts of money as I have endurance/power/crit crystals on all my guys already. Of course they're the ridiculous pink/purple ones...but oh well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wtftastic posted:

I think that's when you come across the investigators that Darth Thanaton sent to investigate Darth Skotia's murder and they ask you who did it. You can respond that you did it with that line.

Darth Silthar and the Reclamation service team are great, its just too bad the planet is sooo boring. But, the way their quests are laid out allows you to be more efficient than usual.

I just started a Jedi Sentinel and is there a build that's like a Smash Marauder? I just basically want to murder most efficiently.

Yep, Sentinel and Marauder are the same thing. Force Sweep instead of Smash, far right tree.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ThreeSixXero posted:

No one likes Corellia. If anyone goes to Corellia, it's for Black Hole which is a separate instance.

Yep, I did Corellia once with my Imperial characters, and that was it (other than story, of course). I kinda dug the story but I HATE the planet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rkikzza posted:

A guild sort of exists, I just recently came back to playing the game and somehow became the guild leader I assume due to inactivity of everyone else. Right now the "guild" is basically me and a RL friend, though I have seen 1 other goon online in the few weeks I've been back.

It's the same on Empire side, though picking up - we have a guild with a few goons (The Unguilded), and I have a few friends in the guild, but still rare to see more than 3 people on.

I also have a few Republic characters that aren't in a guild right now, I've tried a few and they've all fizzled out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well, my Sage is 55. Guess it's time to go to Coruscant and start his class story...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Psyker posted:

I haven't played since release, so I'll ask: can you cash shop legacy unlocks? I'd be tempted to play this again if I could be a Chiss anything on any faction!

You can buy them with cartel coins (cash shop) or regular credits.

My Chiss Marauder looks sweet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orcrez posted:

For about a week I was the only one in the empire guild so I figured it disbanded so I quit it.

That's why I said we needed to find another guild rather than try and put together a goon guild. :)

ThreeSixZero, which guild? I want to find an active guild on both sides, I don't want to play every night but wouldn't mind getting in a once or twice a week raid group.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

So what new looks have you guys come up with now that we have character recustomization and dyes?

I turned my bounty hunter into an 80's action hero:

That is amazing!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

What are my odds of doing the last HK heroic solo as a level 55 guardian with mostly basic gear?

The quest to GET HK? Not Foundry HM, right?

I did the final quest with my level 50 Assassin and I was fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I soloed it as a sawbones scoundrel at level 51 with a companion in greens. Took forever but that was probably due to my comps damage output.

I dont know how people play this game without a 12 button mouse. So many abilities to bind. I have all my mouse keys biund, shift + mouse keys bound, alt + mouse keys bound, and every key around the wasd keys. I still have to mouse click my rocket boots!

Hello, me. Can't fathom playing without my Razr. And to think at first I was like "Uhhh no way, this is way too complex."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Prophecy of the Five goons - I made a Mumble server for us if anyone wants to talk dirty to one another.

PM me for the info if you want it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I searched the GTN for enhancements that offer +Cunning, level 1-55, and didn't find any results. Cunning Enhancements don't exist?

Enhancements only boost secondary stats (cunning is a main stat). As a smuggler, you'll want to look for + power and + surge enhancements mostly

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bit of Crafting/Reverse Engineering info for the newcomers -

When you're buying blue or purple gear that's crafted on the GTN, the "prefix" in front of the item (for Earpieces, Implants, Armor (non orange), Weapons (non orange)) is important to look at too. Basically, the way crafting works you have a base item that can be reverse engineered to find a better version (a blue version), of which there are three different options that add a different stat. After that, each blue version has 5 different purple versions. Some prefixes make the item pretty pointless, so crafters will want to look for a "ideal" version of each item.

For example - I wanted to make the level 54 "best" earpiece for my Scoundrel with my Cybertech. So I started with the Advanced Nano Equipped Power Device (+105 Cunning, +105 Endurance, +49 Power, +46 Alacrity). I created a bunch of them and began reverse engineering. I learned the "Redoubt" blue version, which was useless because it adds +Defense to the item in addition the the current stats. Eventually, I learned the "Overkill" version which added +54 Power. Once I learned that version, I made them and reverse engineered until I got the Expert Nano Equipped Power Device, which added +62 Surge to the other stats. I also learned the "Commanders" version, which adds presence (pretty much useless at level 54), and the "Rampart" version, which adds +62 Shield - which is completely useless because Scoundrels can't even use shields.

I tend to follow the rule for my implants/earpieces that Expert = Best for DPS and sometimes Heals (+surge,+power), Vehemence for healers (+power, +alacrity), and Veracity = Best for tanks (+defense, +shield)

I wish this game let you "hide" useless recipes, because I have so many of them. :(

Tier 1 (Blue) Prefixes:

Critical: +Critical
Redoubt: +Defense
Overkill: +Power

Tier 2 (Purple) Prefixes:

Critical: +Critical

Leadership: +Critical/+Presence
Tempest: +Critical/+Shield Rating
Fervor: +Critical/+Accuracy
Endowment: +Critical/+Surge Rating
Supremacy: +Critical/+Alacrity

Redoubt: +Defense

Exactitude: +Defense/+Accuracy
Anti-Armor: +Defense/+Surge
General: +Defense/+Presence
Veracity: +Defense/+Shield Rating
(Missing): +Defense/+Alacrity

Overkill: +Power

Vehemance: +Power/+Alacrity
Rampart: +Power/+Shield Rating
Commander: +Power/+Presense
Expert: +Power/+Surge
Hawkeye: +Power/+Accuracy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I remember trying to RE everything as an Armormech on my Trooper. :gonk:

Makes me glad that Biochem is straightforward. Green -> Blue -> Purple, no variants (and sometimes you skip the green too).

Yeah Biochem (Stims, Medpacs, and Adrenals), as well as Artifice (Enhancements and Hilts), Armstech (Barrels) and Cybertech (Mods and Armorings), and all Augments are all a straight Green > Blue > Purple path.

I basically play with the assumption that you're going to be using orange gear and upgrading armoring, mods, enhancements, barrels and hilts so there is no point in wasting time reverse engineering armor and weapons that will be obsolete within a few levels.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

I am sure I will be playing again, stopped just before Rise of the Hutt Cartel, was thinking of going Merc Bountry Hunter this time. Was powertech on my main, but wanted to go healing rather then dps. My question, with Mako as Merc, should I leave her as heals and just dps stuff down when not healing in FPs?

I would pay the 200k for field respec, and level as DPS with Mako healing. Change over to heals when you are in a Flashpoint (or just stay heals and use Combat Support cylinder - you'll probably be able to get away with that until at least Taral V/Boarding Party, maybe more now that all mercs get Kolto cloud.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

I was one of the dumb butts that bought this game outright at release. I hated it and put it down. Now I'm back for revenge.

I don't know poo poo about it really, so I have a basic question: At what level should I start giving a poo poo about what I'm doing? When it comes to MMOs, I find the low levels to be pretty boring, but generally enjoy the middle- and endgame.

You should at least have an idea of what you want to play - Tank, Heals or DPS. You'll have to pick your advanced class at level 10ish, and that can't be changed. Most ACs can do one of two roles, either Tank/DPS or Heal/DPS, with the exception of Marauder/Sentinel and Sniper/Gunslinger, who can only DPS (and therefore are the highest DPS classes).

Other than that, how hardcore you want to get about the game depends on when you want to start grouping with other players. If you play it like a solo game until 50, doesn't matter too much what you do, just upgrade your gear here and there. When you start grouping...then you need to learn a bit more.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

I was in a 55 warzone (my first as a fresh 55 BH Merc) and someone whispered me that I should respec to DPS. I'm currently specced in heals and, I thought, was doing ok. Came in 1st for heals on my team and 2nd overall. Might have been good old-fashioned trolling on this guy's part but it got me thinking: are Merc BH inefficient PvP healers compared to Ops/Smuggs and Sages/Inqs?

I do notice that when a really good Ops/smugg healer is on they have crazy numbers and don't ever seem to run out of steam and heat management is a bit tricky for me if I'm sole healer. I've leveled almost exclusively from PvE and was doing ok healing but PvP healing is a bit more hectic. Any tips from other mercs?

Ops/Scoundrel PVP healing is second to none, but I think Mercs can really do some work too. Sorcs always have huge numbers, but I don't trust them because a lot of the time they're just throwing down puddles and healing everyone, rather than focusing when needed. Ops/Scoundrels just have too many instant casts and heals over time that it's hard to top it. They have a low, instant cast heal that when used on someone with < 30% health, is completely free. Which means I can keep someone at about 30% indefinitely, as long as the DPS isn't crazy.

Merc healing in PVP is going to require you to be constantly shooting green bullets at people and keeping your supercharged gas going, using Kolto cloud to heal (as well as snare enemies), and liberally using your cooldowns to make your big heal instant cast and free of heat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FaintlyQuaint posted:

No, gunslingers and snipers do pretty identical damage.

Similarly, I've wondered if Commandos actually get a better overall armor rating because they get to use a generator instead of a 2nd blaster?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Still wanting them to add a Level 50 Legacy perk along side the Living Legend title: Pay 4000 8000 12000 cartel coins and get double experience FOREVER! I'd pay it. I'm sick of going through the same sidequests over and over, when all I really want to do is be a space knight/pope/rear end in a top hat/shepard/psychopath/tesla coil/James Bond/Dogg the Bounty Hunter.

:sigh:

I've said it before, unless you are in a hurry to level, just do your daily war zone, daily flashpoint, and you'll gain a level every 2-3 days. Then when you're ready, start your class quest. My Guardian is 47, and doesn't have his ship yet :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Heroics can be fun, too, and are great practice for Flashpoints. I learned last night that, if I have two DPS who are low on health, the first one I heal is the one who doesn't break my Whirlwind CC.

I did a False Emperor HM the other day, and the Assassin tank was sapping so he could have a mob CC'd before pull, and the DPS Merc with us kept attacking before the tank pulled, and usually starting with Death From Above or Sweeping Blasters. Without fail, he died about 3 times because he pulled the entire group on him (and the healer wasn't jumping to heal him).

He jumped on the boss with the ship before the tank pulled, and despite being a ranged DPS, refused to hit the terminal, leaving it up to me (marauder) and the tank to run up and click it.

I finally said "Dude, you know, if you let tank pull, you'll die a whole lot less." He said "Not my fault the tank can't pull aggro off me, he's a terrible tank. Guess I'll have to play at retard speed."

We booted him right away with the message "WE R RETARDS"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I've gotten a lot less shy about using votekick when someone is doing an obviously poo poo job. I've been reading complaints about DPS who will queue in group finder as a tank to get a faster queue pop. They inevitably say "Oh man, it was so horrible, he couldn't hold aggro and the healer was working overtime and we wiped four times but I didn't want to kick him because I didn't want to wait in the queue again." gently caress that. Time spent in queue is infinitely less frustrating than time spent herding idiots.

I look for that one immediately, to see what stance they are in when they zone in. I'll let them know "Hey, you're not in Tank stance" and they'll usually swap, and that's enough for pretty much every HM flashpoint at this point if the rest of the group is overgeared. But occasionally, I'll get the guy that says "I know, I'm DPS, but I queued as Tank because the queues are too long as DPS." I genuinely don't get that. As a healer, I can keep them alive most of the time, but it's not worth the effort. Vote kick them and run with a tank companion, as far as I'm concerned.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone recommend Matrix Cubes anymore compared to a standard relic? I know that the free Battlemaster Relics you got at 50 blew away the stats on the cubes for PVE and PVP...but now you don't get those, so maybe the cube is worthwhile to get again?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Warmachine posted:

They make excellent tanks. Though, as Sanguina said, they require more button pressing than a mitigation tank like Guardian or Trooper. Though, I'd argue they are the best at getting and keeping AOE.

Short answer, yes. They're great and if you want to play one, do that.

Having played a Vanguard, Assassin and Guardian, my Assassin is by far my favorite tank. Easiest to hold aggro with 3 (4 if you count the ground pound) instant cast AOEs, able to do my own CC, and can fade when a wipe is imminent. Only thing they lack is a gap closer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

e: Do 'bonus' sub-quests ever give you anything but more experience? I've never noticed loot or an actual physical reward from them. If it's just XP, it's that much easier to ignore them.

Most of the just "Kill X ewoks" or "Smash Y ewok skulls" are just additional experience. If you come across a multi-stage bonus (Kill 7 ewoks followed by kill 15 ewoks, followed by kill Destroyer X7-Alpha Ewok Hybrid and loot his cyber skull) that will usually give you an item.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

People use non-Endurance crystals?

The endurance ones are good for twinks, but higher level DPS and Heals should have the power ones (which is why the power ones are so much more expensive)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Uh, I think Human is the only species who's unlock isn't available through the Cartel Market, and thus through the Grand Trade Network.

It's also the cheapest regular unlock...I think it's like 50k credits. Worth it for the alts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kmzh posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not actually that cheap, so it is cheaper than the other races. It's either 500k or 1 mil for humans vs 1.5 mil for the others, I think.

Yep, I think you're right. Don't know where I got 50k from.

Still, cheaper than 1.5 mil, and worth it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fifteen of Many posted:

First timer trip report! I started a sith warrior and managed to play through all of Korriban last night. The game seems fun. Big thing that caught me right away was the landscapes are really pretty. Korriban was nice to look at and having the different setting was a nice break from GW2 (Which I'm also enjoying) and WoW's more fantasy settings. I was a little annoyed by the fairly boring race options after SWG let me be a drat ugly ithorian if I wanted (I mean there's literally green human as an option. Let me be a rodian dammit!)

Along with the art of the world, the sound design is just straight up phenomenal. The flourishes of music were scattered in all the right places and always matched the tone.

I wasn't anticipating being drawn in that much by the story, but I absolutely was. I've been through the BioWare formula in basically all their other games, so I'm not sure what was different here. Maybe the setting was one I really enjoy and so I was able to buy in a little more? I dunno, but either way I enjoyed my pursuit to be Darth Fatty's apprentice and the climax of the planet was pretty satisfying.

The combat took some adjusting to. I found myself running from enemies and madly tapping my GW2 dodge button out of habit but to no avail. It seems like some of the enemies could really kick my rear end and there wasn't much I could do about it, but I may be missing something. (If anyone has any insight, please! I don't seem to have a way to heal beyond of a weak one time use medkit.) I haven't looked into "proper" rotations or anything but I will once I pick an advanced class and hit up a flashpoint.

All in all a pretty fun night, though. Looking forward to the next planet and getting my ship because I'm a nerd for Star Fox and played the hell out the old Rebel Assault click'em shooter game.

As a Juggernaut or Marauder, you'll get a healing companion pretty soon so you'll be good there. You can also take Biochem as a crew skill (With Bioanalysis) and use reusable medpacs.

Best advice would be to do every quest you can, and look for people to do Heroics with, so you get the best gear you can as you level.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'd really like to see Terror From Beyond, as the last Op I did was Explosive Conflict.

I wish we could get enough goon interest on Prophecy of the Five on either side to run it. :( Seems we just don't have the presence there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Serf posted:

So I quit SWTOR about a year ago, and now that it's FTP and all, I decided to give it another spin. It sucks having a lot of the cooler species locked, but when I heard that you can buy them off the GTN, I headed over with my 35 Trooper and snagged a couple of species unlocks. My question is: is your Legacy account-wide? Because I was on Prophecy of the Five, but I have no interest in PvP, so I went over to Jedi Covenant, and found that my unlocks don't work there. Will the Legacy stuff unlock after I reach 10 on my new Smuggler, or did I just waste all those credits on a server I have no desire to play on?

Next patch is supposed to have transfers.

And there is minimal pvp on POT5.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I think I want to name a guild <Galactic Code of Bro-Droids> now.

I always wanted to make a guild called "Fleet Repair" and have everyone AFK'ing in various parts of the fleet at all times using the /repair weld animation on various things. That emote never ceases to make me laugh...a few of my friends and I would use it in flashpoints when it was the 3 of us and one random person, we'd often get confused "uhh whats going on?".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Right now my Assassin is in full 66 armoring/mods, except I still have the head, hand, boot and glove Campaign 61 armorings for the 2% damage reduction set bonus (tank). Will upgrading those to grade 66 armorings be worth it to lose the set bonus?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone have any advice on what to sell on the GTN that makes the most profit? Other than stacks of components, augments, and aug kits (I know they sell well). I have everything except Synthweaving on at least one character...trying to figure out the best bang for my buck...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wtftastic posted:

On the other hand if he's farming credits on Makeb, he might be close to/ at level cap. But yeah. I don't run those a lot, so I guess I don't remember being space poor.

Speaking of being space poor: can't wait to legacy stuff over. I assume I just strip the mods from what I want, dump it in Bind To Legacy gear, and then send it over to my other toon?

Yep, but it's pretty expensive. The Bind to Legacy gear ain't cheap (100k or so) and ripping mods out gets expensive too. Need to pull them out of original gear, then pull them out of legacy gear.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Promethium posted:

Watchman sentinels have more buildup time, you have to put up all your debuffs and build your Merciless/Juyo stacks while the gunslingers are opening up right away with their heavy damage abilities. In the long run sentinels are still very good. That being said, most of the endgame sentinels/marauders I've seen are running Combat/Carnage and it is probably the better dps spec for now, though it's harder to play properly.

Yep, that's it exactly. When a Gunslinger/Sniper wants to burn, they BURN. But Annihaltion/Watchmen takes some time to become a beast. Even in the new 55 Hard Modes most non boss fights I barely get to reach my potential with my marauder. To do the most damage, you'll have to stack 3 bleeds from your poison saber along with the one from Rupture, as well as building up 4 stacks of Annihilate. Annihilate can carry over to the next fight as long as you're constantly pulling, but if you rest too long you start all over again.

That said, I like Annihilate better than Carnage, which just seemed boring to me, and Rage is nice for leveling and (at least previously) PVP, but I don't like bouncing around like a ping pong ball.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Prophecy of the Five Empire Goons - I'd really, really like to see the operations past EC, but I'd rather not rely on pick-up groups. Would anyone want to consider forming a weekly raid group who want to see the actual stories too? My Assassin Tank is 55 with all purple 66 armorings/mods and I'm doing 55 Hard Modes (can breeze through any of the regular ones) to get back in practice. I also have a 55 Marauder in 66s, and my Merc healer will be 55 this weekend, so I can do pretty much any role.

I'd like to get a group going where we just meet up one night a week and run whatever we can...anyone interested? Shoot me a PM or email me at my SA username at Gmail.com. I have a mumble server set up for my empty guild, we could use that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Is there a PC version of the authenticator app thing? I don't have a smartphone :saddowns:

You can just buy a physical one http://www.swtor.com/buy, scroll down a bit.

• Locked thread