Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

nonentity posted:

woo new thread... :toot:

How much is it to use the barbershop kiosk thing? I haven't logged in yet, but I assume it varies based on what you change?

Yep, each slider costs a different amount of CCs to mess with - body and head are 160, skin is 120, all the rest are 40-80, although if you want to change your species it'll run you 1200.

I'm glad body wasn't too expensive - I assumed that watching my fatass Jedi pounce on people like they're made of ham would never stop being funny, and it didn't, but I hated the way most of the armor textures looked stretched across my blubber.

EDIT: I'm Preferred right now though, no idea what it is for subs.

Crindee fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Rookersh posted:

Personally?

No.

By the time you hit 40-45ish, you'll have more then enough money to repurchase 1-2 races off the GTN. By the time you have a second lvl 30 character, you'll be able to buy the rest if you really want them.

Sub get's you three things. It unlocks everything right off the bat, it gives you a 25% boost to exp gain up at all times ( over "launch"/default speed ), and it gives you 500 Cartel Coins per month. However if you can handle playing a Human/Zabrak/Cyborg for your first character, you'll easily be able to start unlocking aliens/stuff/cosmetic stuff easily with in game money, and it's a permanent upgrade.

General thread consensus is that you should sub for a single month, get to 50 off the exp boost, then when you can do dailies, turn around and finance all the species/cosmetic/content unlocks to make life easier for yourself. And while that's a really good idea if you want to get into/get back into the game, if you are only curious, I'd suggest going Human/Zabrak/Cyborg, playing to 10-15 or so, and seeing if you enjoy the game before putting down a sub.

It should also be noted that it's not a bad idea to make your first character a boring ol' human anyway, since unlocking them gives you +100 Presence for all characters. It's not a big deal, since I'm sure you can just buy a human species unlock off the AH for a fairly reasonable amount of credits (though I don't see one up there right now, at least on my server), but completing a human character's storyline will unlock it for free.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I can't remember, are all the mods that come in endgame gear specific to whatever type of item they're in, or is it just the armorings? I need to upgrade the mod and enhancement in my pants (heh), was hoping I could save myself some comms by buying a pair of gloves and yanking them out of those.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Alright this is now the third time in as many days that I've been about to do a WB with a group and had an Imp run in and ask for an invite. Am I an idiot who somehow missed some secret way to invite cross-faction?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah, I'm on JC and I'd be happy to have a reason to turn guild chat back on (without having to read discussions about who would win in a fight, Chuck Norris or bacon).

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

bridgeburner5 posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll just play through some storylines for now. I'm especially peeved that you have to sub to send credits to other characters. Guess I can't really complain for f2p

That's not a big deal, just list a garbage item on the GTN for however many credits you want to give that character (or slightly more, to cover the GTN's cut), then hop on whichever alt has money and buy said garbage item. It's a bit of a pain, but it works.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Hahaha three-quarters of the way through our Flashpoint the tank said "brb dinner" and went AFK. Guess I can't blame him for knowing what a premium tanks are at, what're we gonna do, kick him and wait 45 minutes for a replacement?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Dexo posted:

Can't you buy the Authorizations with Credits?

Yeah, but having gone through it without a subscription, it's tough to make enough cash pre-50 to buy all the right authorizations, and getting to 50 with -25% XP (or whatever it is) is definitely a slog. If I had to do it all again, I think I'd buy the expansion/month subscription combo for $25, power my way to 55 (or as close to it as possible) in that month, then work on buying authorizations once I hit 50 and could start doing dailies for easy cash. All my alts were leveled during 2x XP weekends, and if they never do another one of those then I'll never level another alt. Doing it the legitimate way once was enough for me, even with XP boosters.

Medullah posted:

Just healed 99% of Cademmimu HM. I say 99% because we got to the final boss and one of the DPS disconnected, the other left because our tank wasn't the best. And for some reason we can't requeue in Group Finder. No worries, I told him, I can heal this and DPS, and my companion is geared in purple 66s so we can still do it. I say "However, I'll keep getting shackled so you'll need to look for the debuff, or for me to say s in chat." First fight goes through, I get shackled, start saying "S...s...s..s..." tank not running over me, we both die. I say "Dude, we can do this, but you HAVE to run over me because I'm going to constantly get shackled." "Okay."

5 minutes later, I again die in the fire. Leave group.

Tank calls out kill order. I go after our first target. Other DPS immediately starts attacking what is supposed to be our second target. I cave and go after his target so at least our damage is focused. We both (rightfully) get yelled at by the tank. I feel like your standard button-mashin' moron DPS.

I've done L55 Hammer Station twice, and this scenario has happened exactly like this, both times - once the other DPS even whispered me in the middle of the fight to inform me that I was attacking the wrong dude. Next time I'm just powering through and having a "WE ARE ATTACKING SAWBONES FIRST rear end in a top hat" whisper pre-written and ready to send just in case.

That said, I do kind of like when someone drops after it's too late to requeue (I think it has to do with how many bosses you've killed?). Trying to finish up with whoever's companion is most geared is exciting if nothing else.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Oh great, Gree is back, I knew I should've finished up that last Seeker quest last night, now Ilum general is just a giant wall of complaints about PvP.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I can't decide if I want to be bothered with doing the free event. I ran a couple of the first set of dailies and was thoroughly bored. I guess the big draw is the reputation vendor items?

BigDes posted:

The scalene armours are pretty, I guess

Yeah, pretty much just Tron armor, some interesting-looking orange BoL mainhands, and a speeder that looks like a big blue hamster ball. Oh, and the opportunity to camp out by a pylon in the PvP area and make people write big angry walls of text.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Well I just had an experience getting that final Seeker Droid quest done.

Finally managed to get in a group, game crashes almost immediately and decides it needs to update the client, adding a extra few minutes of tearing my hair out trying to get back before I'm kicked. I do, we get just past that lovely hallway where you have to power up the turret/shields, and my internet goes down.

Around 8 o'clock I manage to get back on and get another group together, and when we get to the lovely turret-hallway it's empty. How lucky! It's still my phase from earlier, so we don't have to do it again. We make it all the way to the final boss before realizing that of course this also means nobody's quest is updating, because I'm at a different point in it than everyone else, so I'm the only one who'll end up getting credit for killing the boss (the worst part is that happened to me just a few days ago with someone else's partially-finished quest, so I should've known better). I apologize, we step outside, I reset my phase, and we go back in.

This time we get to the lovely turret-hallway and oh no, it's bugged! Mobs keep breaking through the containment shields, but the power-cells aren't clickable, so there's no way to manage them and they just keep coming. We do a surprisingly-good job fighting them all, actually, but after 10-15 minutes of this we realize that earlier I reset my phase, not the quest associated with it (even though I loving know you have to do that, guess I was just having a stroke or something), so once again we get to backtrack to the entrance and start over.

After that, we wipe in the hallway (not because of me at least, thank God, had a few power-cell-related instant deaths) and end up having to start over. Again. I started advertising for a group around 8; we finished the quest, which should've taken about 20 minutes, around 9:45.

So what stupid, humiliating poo poo have you guys done in this game?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Azzmo posted:

Upgrade the rocket boots to the 1 minute cooldown.

Alt leveling tip:
If you want to level fairly quickly you need to find a way to get out of buildings/bunkers/caves quickly.

Rocket booting all the way back out is the worst option in many cases. Quick travel if it's available+you aren't saving the cooldown or the option that nobody seems to know about is suicide. Just hop off a cliff or get in combat with something and type /stuck and you'll die and rez outside at the nearest medical station.

I dunno if this applies to falling damage, but if you're going the /stuck route, you might want to get nude first to avoid repair costs. They're not that bad initially but goddamn do they add up later on.

If you're ever on Ilum and see a Guardian in his underwear barrel past you into the middle of a mob and then instantly die, that's probably me. :suicide:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
The tanks might stay up a bit longer if they'd EVER BE EQUIPPED WITH A SHIELD EVER.

Seriously I've been doing one L55 Flashpoint every day for a little over a week; so far TWO of my tanks have had a shield equipped, the rest had nothing, not even a focus/generator. At first I assumed they were only spec'd as tanks to insta-queue for Flashpoints, but they all had +Shield/Absorption gear equipped, so that means either they somehow remembered to equip all their tanking gear, then went out of their way to de-equip their usual offhand, then forgot to replace it... or they somehow made it to 55 without figuring out this whole offhand business.

edit: THANK GOD.

Crindee fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 29, 2013

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Nipponophile posted:

That's a display bug that's been around forever. Offhands frequently don't show up when inspecting others.

That's comforting at least. Although speaking of bugs, is anyone suddenly having trouble with quest-items failing to drop? Just now I was doing Jam the Transmissions on Ilum, and suddenly the droids stopped dropping transmitters no matter how many of them I killed (normally the drop rate seems to be 100%), despite the quest showing that I'd only collected 3 out of 4 - I had to reset the quest to get them to start dropping again. That's the third quest that's happened on in the last few days, but I don't think it's ever happened to me before that.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Nipponophile posted:

What's interesting is that the author was clarifying some points on the forums today, and he mentioned that roles will be determined by examining your skill trees and not just letting you select whichever you like. I'd LOVE to see this implemented in Group Finder to put an end to DPS queuing as tanks or heals because "LOL, dps q take 2 long".

This has to happen, I just got done racking up 15k in repairs in a 55 FP because I didn't realize until too late that our "tank" had 27k HP and was using a might stim (his name's Sekanar in case anyone on JC wants one less fake tank to get grouped with). I've always wondered why you were ever allowed to select your own role in the first place considering that there's only one heal/tank tree for those classes - for hybrids, I guess? Or maybe just laziness.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
No matter what you're queueing for, just have the game check someone's current skill tree and assign them the appropriate role. Yeah, it could get trickier with hybrids, but when I have 37 points in Vigilance and 4 points in Defense, I shouldn't have the option of queuing for a FP or Op as a tank just because I happen to be a Guardian. If I want to tank for something, I can respec first, then queue.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I just hit my first real milestone as a DPS: I got into a small slapfight with my pubbie healer who yelled at me to "stop loving taunting you're not the tank."

Our tank, who was nice but only had like 27k HP and thus wasn't super well-geared for a tank in a 55 FP yet, was having a little trouble keeping the boss away from me (he might've had less trouble if he had guarded the mDPS instead of the healer but whatever). I whispered this to the healer and said I wasn't taunting but I'd reel in the damage, but apparently the tank was his buddy and that "I know he isn't geared I've been working to get him geared all day and he hasn't had any trouble holding threat so far so go gently caress yourself." So at that point I did what any reasonable person would do and let up a bit on the damahahahaha just kidding I spent the rest of the FP almost breaking my keyboard trying deal as much damage as humanly possible because I'm a huge butthole.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
There are a few sets of headgear, the only two I can remember are the one that looks like Boba Fett's, and a cowboy hat - nothing incredibly unique as far as I can see, but they're adaptive, so now you can finally live out your lightsaber-cowboy fantasies.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Does anyone know how exactly how the Kingpin bounties scale to your level when you're in a group? My Sorcerer is only 48, if I join with a 55 am I going to end up standing to the side and off-healing while the other person basically solos the 55 elite that just showed up?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Wonder how long it'll take them to fix the obligatory new bug in this patch, I'm trying to get my Makeb rep up but my Sniper might have a rough time finishing the story without functioning armor, and I'm not sure I want to sink thousands of credits into moving my mods if this is gonna be fixed by tomorrow.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Baron Porkface posted:

As a level 25 assassin I'm having energy trouble, to the point where i can't use maul very much because of it's cost. Is that normal?

Yeah I've been having the same problem with my Infiltration Shadow, but once you get far enough into your tree (that's assuming you're the equivalent spec, if you aren't in your stealth tree I doubt your backstab ability is ever going to be worth that huge Force cost) you can get a proc that boosts its damage by 30% while reducing its cost by 75%. Most of the classes in this game feel like they take awhile to get going compared to other MMOs, but so far Shadows feel like the worst offenders in that regard.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So is botting on an alternate account a thing in this game? I just got grouped with a DPS/Tank combo in matching outfits - the tank (who couldn't hold threat for poo poo and opened every single fight with a nice disruptive Force Wave) was curiously-silent, and the DPS kept having to speak for him, "okay i'll tell him," "okay i just yelled at him lol," etc.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Wow, I never thought about it until now, but yeah, other than Esseles I think I've only heard snippets of dialogue from most Flashpoints. I just did Mandalorian Raiders for the umpteenth time and basically what I know is that some Mandalorians raided something and then I killed them? Oh, and I guess the Empire must've gotten involved, because I had to kill some Imps at some point, for some reason. People are so quick to bitch "space" that I just do it reflexively now, even during cutscenes I haven't seen before.

Oh, unrelated, but did I hear they fixed the "mail mods via BoL gear" loophole, and/or started punishing for it, or am I misremembering?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Fewd posted:

It's not really just the tanks. The people group finder vomits out are just absurdly stupid. Wish there was a speedy UI prompt after every group to add people on ignore list without typing. Would be much more useful than the friend adding version.

Every time I get matched with an in-progress Flashpoint I think "hey, less work!" but then it almost always turns out that someone's a dumbass and people were bailing, rather than a dropped connection. Last night it was a "tank" who had less health than anyone and didn't even bother switching out of Shii-cho. Today I got matched with an in-progress one and made myself decline and wait for a fresh one, and when it popped it turned out to have the same healer as the one I'd said no to, and sure enough he couldn't heal for poo poo (I think he was distracted, he kept calling "brb," often right after the tank jumped into a pile of mobs). He ended up bailing on us because "so sry guys car troubles." In fairness I guess it'd be hard to heal and drive at the same time...

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Fewd posted:

Also, has Bioware stated when the bounty hunter weekly event thing is going to be on again? Or how often that is going to happen?

Bounty week is monthly, it's back on the 10th until the 17th.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Just in case anyone was worried about it: I have it on very good authority from Fleet genchat that SWTOR "murdered" WoW. :smug:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Mandatory new patch bug: CZ-198 runs like garbage for some (possibly all?) people now. I have my settings cranked down to nothing and the game still runs like I'm playing it on my ancient Dell, possibly related to the fact that it seems to be giving feedback on everyone in the instance; I can see flytext popping up for people halfway across the map. Fair warning if you're planning on doing dailies.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Tokaii posted:

I disturbed three different players who showed on that list and were not goon squad. They could not guess why it found them from "goon".

Click the arrow on the "Comment" tab to change it to "Guild." There's a fairly large Pub guild called Jedi-Dragoons or some poo poo and they tend to show up in searches.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I don't think he's a goon, but if you guys in TNG are looking for a good DPS recruit, might I suggest a Juggernaut named Ouahidysaid? Special skills include:

-Repeatedly splitting from the rest of the group to start unnecessary fights!
-Standing in place for fifteen minutes or so, then catching up without explanation! (And putting out such low DPS that you won't notice he's missing until there's a conversation you need him for!)
-Managing to die during the Vigilant fight despite being nowhere near the Vigilant! He was probably standing in electricity!
-Needing on reputation trophies and crafting materials!

At least CZ-198 is back to normal.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah, there are more reputation vendors out there than the ones in the Cartel area, but they all just sell vanity poo poo - some decent looking orange shells if you're into playing dress-up, a few unique companion customizations, and you get a couple titles for earning ranks with each faction. I think the only real reason to do it is that some of the dailies you have to do to grind rep are also a decent source of credits/comms, so if you're at 50+ it might be worthwhile to find out if any of the vendors have something you actually want, then start doing dailies for that faction. I've managed to very slowly max a few of my reputations just as a side-effect of trying to get money and gear for my alts.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Hulk Smash! posted:

Uh. Just tried to log in and I have a 11GB download starting..? Isn't 2.4 tomorrow?

No bigass downloads here, maybe your installation got broken? Or something?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I remember the days when their patches would only gently caress stuff up AFTER they were actually released. :allears: Although I actually kinda like the fact that my Saber Throws and Dispatches still show up as random colors after the last patch, it's fun.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

loving awesome. Here's hoping enough this generates enough interest for Goon Squad to get repopulated.

Also loving awesome but in a different way: a few minutes ago our tank lost his connection after getting to the final boss area, and after waiting about ten seconds the healer asked "Everyone else still here?" When we said yes (I assumed he was just making sure we were ready for when the tank got back) he said "good enough!" and immediately bumrushed the boss by himself and started attacking. :what: In fairness it was kinda fun scrambling to try and save his suicidal rear end and then stay alive in my tanking form long enough for the real tank to reconnect, but goddamn.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

SWTOR posted:

Double XP weekend starting November 27th and continuing through Thanksgiving Weekend until December 2nd.

Cue me doing the Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOO!"

I can't stay away from Double XP and a six-day holiday "weekend" of it might result in my actual death.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I'd only go male if you're planning on going DS as well. Maybe I'm in the minority but I found David Hayter's interpretation of a LS Jedi to be unbearably smarmy, I find the female VA to be a lot more tolerable while spouting Jedi wisdom. Also both romances are bad because Bioware. Though at least it was kinda funny watching my body 4 Knight slobber on Kira like a pork chop.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

The Locator posted:

Dumb newbie question, and I'll probably smack my hand into my forehead when I read the answer, but... What's "VA" in this context?

Voice Actor.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Tezzeract posted:

So what's the consensus on the Oricon content? Are people enjoying it? I was also wondering about Czerka and the new arenas also (stopped playing around June.)

New Czerka flashpoints are a fun and easy source of comms in SM, yesterday on my Sniper I got paired with a Jugg DPS and two other Snipers and it was hilarious (the Jugg apparently hadn't done it in SM before and started calling out instructions for the boss, and got "lol" times three in response). The daily area is small but fine, it's basically just a Czerka warehouse so it's not too interesting, but if nothing else it's fast - I can get through the dailies in 10-15 minutes even on an undergeared character, so as soon as one of my toons hits 52 I bring 'em there and just finish up leveling that way, it's pretty low-effort.

The Oricon area is actually pretty cool, it gives off a very Lovecraftian vibe that I like. They ramped up the difficulty a bit on the dailies, if you turn on genchat someone is almost always asking how the hell you're supposed to beat one of like three different bosses. Can't speak for the new Ops yet. Oh, and the story quests give you a near-full set of 156 armor, so it's worth doing for fresh 55s.

The Arenas are pretty cool, they definitely feel like less of a free-for-all than the 8x8 matches, with more individual skill involved (though I guess the only way to gently caress up an 8x8 too badly is by not calling incoming if you're defending). If you're a class that can heal then prepare to be instantly focus-fired even if you're DPS.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on leveling flash points I've got some bad news for you...

"Why are you waiting so long between pulls?"
"My taunt is on cool down"
:cry:

New tanks: make sure to follow up your wasted taunt with an indiscriminate push that knocks everyone out of range of my AOE!

Baron Porkface posted:

I've been seeing a few endgame knights running around without an offhand. Are they retarded, or are knights not able to use focuses or shields?

Last I heard that's caused by a bug with the inspect command not showing offhands. efb

Oh, and I once had an argument (that lasted the better part of a Flashpoint and ended in a stalemate when he stopped responding) with a L50 Commando about whether or not Commandos have a hard CC. He kept insisting he didn't have anything called Concussive Round, just Concussion Charge.

Crindee fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 21, 2013

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Make sure you get one of the adaptive ones, I made the mistake of buying a blue one for an alt because it was cheaper and ultimately just ended up buying an orange one anyway, on the blue one I was getting knocked off by every mob with a ranged attack in like one hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Baron Porkface posted:

How does the 600K escrow thing work since there's the 350K cap?

Escrow unlocks are exempt from the credit limit, if you're at 350k and you use a 600k unlock you'll end up at 950k, then 1.55 million, etc.

• Locked thread