Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
What I'm worried about is the slightly embarrassing possibility that he doesn't hit his goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

RightClickSaveAs posted:

$10 is the lowest level, for a copy of the screenplay and some kind of website access. $4,000 to be an extra, $10,000 for a speaking role! This sounded like a really terrible idea, but as is usually the case for these things, the barrier to entry is high enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Speaking role is sold out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's an interesting idea, but I still feel weird funding projects for people who have the money to fund it themselves. And while I'll see the movie, it's not like I was craving another Adam Carolla movie.

For those who don't listen to the other shows, Ace on the House had his old friend Snake on and it's a great show. Just Adam, Ray and Snake telling old stories. They don't talk any home improvement and don't take any calls. It was a great listen if you like those old stories.

Also, it seems like Adam and Drew are going to 3 days a week which is nice. I always use their Amazon link and if the show improves, I'd consider a subscription. The biggest problem with it right now is the callers plain suck. Part of the charm of the old Loveline were the idiot callers and Adam tearing into them. It seems like Adam is afraid to really tear into bad callers because it's his network and most of them are too self-aware to provide good entertainment. I miss the 19 year old girls with 2 kids and both baby daddies in prison who want to know if she should keep dating her 40 year old manager at Arbys.

Bryan is back and was especially horrible on the latest podcast. It's pretty clear he wants to be the co-host of the show as he is starting to talk nearly as much as Adam does.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm back to listening to the show now that I have a job that lets me, and I must say the story of Ray being with Chris's ladyfriend and the reveal of how Snake dealt with it was loving gold. I still don't get why everyone hates bryan though, I think he brings more good than bad. Also Baldywood is probably something adam wants more than Bryan.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Veskit posted:

I'm back to listening to the show now that I have a job that lets me, and I must say the story of Ray being with Chris's ladyfriend and the reveal of how Snake dealt with it was loving gold. I still don't get why everyone hates bryan though, I think he brings more good than bad. Also Baldywood is probably something adam wants more than Bryan.

I don't think Bryan is terrible, per say, but I do think that he tries way too hard to contribute - and that certainly does get annoying once you become a daily listener to the podcast. I wish he would "know his role" and only pipe up when he has something pertinent to say, or when he is called upon, like producer Anne (Ann?) used to do during Adam's loveline days. The fact that she spoke sparingly and did her job well speaks volumes about her. Also, I thought her role plays with Adam were some of the funnier stuff to come out of that show

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 3, 2013

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

At least he's offering some cool stuff vs a lot of the other crowd funded projects. I'm in for $25. A shirt and a DVD together would cost that much anyway. Plus, the Bryan Cranston video was pretty funny.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

ultraviolence123 posted:

At least he's offering some cool stuff vs a lot of the other crowd funded projects. I'm in for $25. A shirt and a DVD together would cost that much anyway. Plus, the Bryan Cranston video was pretty funny.

When it asked for your address, did it also ask you for the state?

Mine said Country, Street Address, City.

No entry for state. I thought that was odd, and put my city and state in the City box.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just tried and there's no option for state. Kinda weary on that.

Also I've never done this crowd funding thing before, do I have to pay right away or just if the goal is met?

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

I just tried and there's no option for state. Kinda weary on that.

Also I've never done this crowd funding thing before, do I have to pay right away or just if the goal is met?

Not sure about this service, but on Kickstarter you only pay once the goal has been met at the deadline set.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well I went in for the DVD and T-Shirt and it immediately took the money from my Paypal account. Maybe they refund it if they don't meet the goal. :ohdear:

Or maybe he'll make the movie regardless of how much he raises through crowd funding and everyone that contributed will get the gifts.

edit-->

quote:

Thank you, my friend, I can assure you that your contribution will go toward the funniest parts of this film, and not wasted on craft service or booger sugar. You’ve gone above and beyond, and there’s no more an individual could give to a project, unless, of course, you’d like to spread the word to friends and coworkers.

Thank you and mahalo

Ace

Boinks fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 3, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Boinks posted:

Well I went in for the DVD and T-Shirt and it immediately took the money from my Paypal account. Maybe they refund it if they don't meet the goal. :ohdear:

Or maybe he'll make the movie regardless of how much he raises through crowd funding and everyone that contributed will get the gifts.

edit-->

I think the difference between this and Kickstarter are that he gets the money regardless of whether he hits his goal or not. I think I heard an interview with the guy who runs it, just can't remember if it was Carolla or not.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Sieg posted:

Speaking role is sold out.
Oh yeah, there was only one available, that makes a lot more sense. I had images in my mind of jackass fans popping up throughout the movie.

Medullah posted:

I think the difference between this and Kickstarter are that he gets the money regardless of whether he hits his goal or not. I think I heard an interview with the guy who runs it, just can't remember if it was Carolla or not.
Indeed, it's like indiegogo in that respect. I'm not a fan of this kind of funding at all, as it opens the door for all kinds of scammy behavior, but in this case I don't think it'll be an issue. Carolla mentioned before that the movie is going to be funded with other sources as well, so I believe it will get made no matter what. I don't think 1 million is enough for even a microbudget indie movie, especially after factoring in the fees and rewards.

Plus, once he starts actually pushing it on the podcast (only a couple mentions so far), I can see it easily passing the goal.

The Bryan Cranston video is great. That guy is the best.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
The Aceman asking for charity from the public is ironic in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I sure wish somebody that Bryan respected sat him down and just told him

"Bro, you're really not that funny, the only reason you're getting to press buttons and giggle to yourself, make your lovely jokes, and write this boring rear end book of your life is because you got cancer while knowing Carolla. I hope you work on your lovely taste in movies, because from now on the Film Vault is going to be your sole source of income. See ya!"

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'm on the edge of my seat for Bryan's upcoming Baldywood review of The Lone Ranger, followed by him recommending something either impossibly popular that everyone on Earth and the neighboring planets has seen, or, some other big budget western like Wild Wild West.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I sure wish somebody that Bryan respected sat him down and just told him

"Bro, you're really not that funny, the only reason you're getting to press buttons and giggle to yourself, make your lovely jokes, and write this boring rear end book of your life is because you got cancer while knowing Carolla. I hope you work on your lovely taste in movies, because from now on the Film Vault is going to be your sole source of income. See ya!"

The thing that bugs me the most is whenever he chimes in to add his own unfunny addendum to Adam's joke he says it while simultaneously holding back laughter at his own stupid joke. Does anyone else notice this? He's constantly cracking his own bald rear end up with his own jokes while he's saying them and then usually Adam just has to go "heh, yeah" and then continue on being funny. Also when him and Adam do reenactments he is always, always annoying and brutally unfunny.

The sad thing is there's no way he's going away. Adam keeps him on because he feels responsible for him in a sick way and there's really no way for fans to give feedback as to how bad he is. I can't stop downloading because I enjoy almost every other aspect of the show and you can't go on twitter or Facebook and give constructive criticism because you're just branded a "hater" and ignored. As it is I skip over Baldywood every time and I skip over the intro because I can't stand him telling me that @billsfan69 requested to hear "let's drink some beers and rape" for his dumbass top drop thing. If you could download a Bryanless version of the show I would do it. Hell I would pay for it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I for one have enjoyed Bald Bryan since the radio days. I've never understood the vitriol he (or Theresa) receives by people on message boards, here or the carolla ones. Bald Bryan so rarily speaks compared to Alison and obviously Adam that I just imagine some people waiting to be very angry that 30 seconds of an hour and a half podcast was "ruined" by him opening his mouth, funny or not. I get much angrier at things Adam does (run poo poo into the ground, have terrible opinions) than anything a sound drop does to the show. I will concede that the, "Lets drink some beers and rape!" drop I was reminded of during the Bryan Cranston rerun was terrible, though.

Unrelated, but I heeded other's advice and listened to the Ace on the House with Snake as well as some Dr Drew podcasts with Ray/Chris and Lynette and they were all excellent.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Tweak posted:

I for one have enjoyed Bald Bryan since the radio days. I've never understood the vitriol he (or Theresa) receives by people on message boards, here or the carolla ones. Bald Bryan so rarily speaks compared to Alison and obviously Adam that I just imagine some people waiting to be very angry that 30 seconds of an hour and a half podcast was "ruined" by him opening his mouth, funny or not.

Do you still listen to the show? He chimes in constantly when Adam is trying to talk. I don't think I'm exaggerating saying that he probably butts in every 10-20 seconds. Alison may talk a lot too but she is usually actually adding to the conversation, steering it in another direction or making a funny remark. I guess Adam's "yes and" speeches have really sunk into Bryan's head but what he should have learned was "yes and, but not all the time and only if its funny".

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I skip the live shows but otherwise listen to the rest, unless it is Baldywood I don't notice him speaking terribly much and certainly not to the point of the shows detriment. I would say 10-20 seconds is certainly an exaggeration, but maybe since I'm OK with him speaking I'm not taking note of every time he makes a sound and gritting my teeth through it.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with him not being good at re-enactments with Adam.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
This may be an inane question, but do other fans dislike Bryan as much as people here do? My only exposure to fans of the podcast comes from this thread on SA, so I don't know if we're in our own little bubble or if most people share our opinion.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Tweak posted:

And I wholeheartedly disagree with him not being good at re-enactments with Adam.

There was one thing in the aftermath of the Joe Paterno thing that absolutely slayed me. I think it was Adam imagining his dad as a sexually abusive football coach and talking to clips of his dad about it.

"That was Pop Warner."

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

ChaosMonkey posted:

There was one thing in the aftermath of the Joe Paterno thing that absolutely slayed me. I think it was Adam imagining his dad as a sexually abusive football coach and talking to clips of his dad about it.

"That was Pop Warner."

Adam talking to his parents via their drops gets me every time.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

This may be an inane question, but do other fans dislike Bryan as much as people here do? My only exposure to fans of the podcast comes from this thread on SA, so I don't know if we're in our own little bubble or if most people share our opinion.

No, i'm pretty sure they don't. Its just a handful of dudes here who have an insane hatred of him that I've also never really understood. I'm kind of impartial on him -- most of his chiming in isn't offensively bad and occasionally he has a genuinely funny comment or joke. He gets tons of cheers and at all the live shows but then everything gets tons of cheers at the live shows.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

visuvius posted:

No, i'm pretty sure they don't. Its just a handful of dudes here who have an insane hatred of him that I've also never really understood. I'm kind of impartial on him -- most of his chiming in isn't offensively bad and occasionally he has a genuinely funny comment or joke. He gets tons of cheers and at all the live shows but then everything gets tons of cheers at the live shows.

I should qualify by stating that I also listen to the film vault and a whole bunch of ancillary media that kind of fleshes out how terrible he is. He's unfortunately a part of a lot of stuff that I listen to.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

I don't mind when he talks as much, but those motherfucking sound effects.....

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Ez posted:

Adam talking to his parents via their drops gets me every time.

How should I know?!

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I should qualify by stating that I also listen to the film vault and a whole bunch of ancillary media that kind of fleshes out how terrible he is. He's unfortunately a part of a lot of stuff that I listen to.

I listen to the Film Vault too, and I still like him. I don't know what other ancillary media he's in though.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

visuvius posted:

I don't remember if this was on the terrestrial show or the podcast but once Adam was going on about how they're are no Jewish people in some 3rd world country and Bryan goes "Doctors without Borders." This got a real hard laugh out of me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tweak posted:

I for one have enjoyed Bald Bryan since the radio days. I've never understood the vitriol he (or Theresa) receives by people on message boards, here or the carolla ones. Bald Bryan so rarily speaks compared to Alison and obviously Adam that I just imagine some people waiting to be very angry that 30 seconds of an hour and a half podcast was "ruined" by him opening his mouth, funny or not. I get much angrier at things Adam does (run poo poo into the ground, have terrible opinions) than anything a sound drop does to the show. I will concede that the, "Lets drink some beers and rape!" drop I was reminded of during the Bryan Cranston rerun was terrible, though.

I actually like Theresa. She's a great sidekick for Adam and plays to his strengths. Knows when to jump in and when to egg him on. While I like Alison, I think her style clashes a bit with Adam's. Although it seems they work much better these days.

I didn't have a problem with Bryan at the beginning, I just think he's talking way more than he ever did and has become more of a co-host as opposed to drops guy. I don't find him to be funny, I think his timing is bad, and I think his delivery is even worse (tell a bad joke and laugh at it the whole time). It's one thing to do it when it's just the 3 of them, but he's gotten to a stage now where he jumps in with great guests. I did find it funny when Joel McHale basically told him to shut up last time he was on.

It's nothing personal, I just don't think he's a radio personality. The airtime should go to the people who have that talent and he isn't one of them. I'd much rather see Alison or the guest get time over him. I think it hit me when they had Dameshek on a little while back and Bryan talked more than him. That sucks.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 9, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I was so excited for a Jay Mohr episode yesterday but man was it ever unfunny. He only had like 15 minutes of time to talk since Baldywood pointlessly took up like 10 minutes and Adam's (actually really funny) flat tire story took like 40 minutes and he wasted it doing that stupid "big mama" bit that wasn't funny and went way too long. I really wish Adam would cut out Baldywood completely, make the news a bit longer and not waste time by going off on tangents for 10 minutes, give the guest a good, solid 20 (or more depending on who) and do more bits like Tales From the Cheap and Who The F Sells This S. When Adam takes one news story and uses it as an excuse to talk about passion fruit iced tea again it feels like a massive waste of time and it takes away from great guests sometimes. Although, I'm glad he had those two lawyers on last week and let them talk for a while. I thought all the patent troll stuff was really interesting.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I usually don't mind Bryan, and I don't want to jump on the hate bandwagon, but his recent 15 minute long story about the lady asking about his limp at the gym was pretty bad.

I do think that the show wouldn't be the same without him. Byran has his funny moments.

What bothers me more than Bryan is Adam's constant repeating. He tells the same stories over and over and over again. Maybe it is just amplified because I listen to Ace on the House, Carcast, Adam and Drew, and ACS.

On Sunday's A&D he told the story about the air compressor/farting guy. Its a story I've heard at least 5-6 times. I know Drew has heard it before, but he couldn't remember it so Adam breaks the whole thing down again.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Today's episode was classic. Toad the Wet Sprocket was there. A band we haven't heard from much in a long time, but apparently one that Adam respects. Might even have some interesting stories that we haven't heard before. They get to play a couple of acoustic versions of their songs, but the bulk of the show was a re-hash of the Mangria label rant. I think the saddest point was one of the band members asking Alison about who wrote her podcast's theme song, trying to engage in a little conversation that didn't completely revolve around the person asking the question.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The Adam Carolla Show - What Can't Goons Complain About

(you guys make me feel bad and dumb for enjoying this podcast)

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I think we all still enjoy the show, why else would we listen? But that doesn't mean there isn't a ton of things wrong with it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Complaining about the podcast (especially rehashed ones) is really just our own homage to Adam.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Veskit posted:

The Adam Carolla Show - What Can't Goons Complain About

(you guys make me feel bad and dumb for enjoying this podcast)

Sorry guys, but Adam Carolla fans have nothing on Howard Stern fans when it comes to complaining about their show. To be fair though, complaining about a show is entertaining for me to read. That's why I still visit that thread even though I canceled Sirius in 2010.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sieg posted:

What bothers me more than Bryan is Adam's constant repeating. He tells the same stories over and over and over again. Maybe it is just amplified because I listen to Ace on the House, Carcast, Adam and Drew, and ACS.

On Sunday's A&D he told the story about the air compressor/farting guy. Its a story I've heard at least 5-6 times. I know Drew has heard it before, but he couldn't remember it so Adam breaks the whole thing down again.

I give him a pass on a lot of that because it must be hard to fill that much time with new content (and be entertaining). But it's funny to go back and listen to some of the old Lovelines and hear the same rants.

Am I the only one who just assumed he couldn't change the tire because he was piss drunk?

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
Does Howard Stern repeat himself constantly too?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

McJuicy posted:

Does Howard Stern repeat himself constantly too?

I don't think he has the opportunity to since he only does his show 3 days a week and has 10 weeks of vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Sieg posted:

Oh wow yeah, that's tough. I did this for a while but had to scale it back to just the main podcast every day, and only do Adam and Drew if they have a guest (they're at their best, it's kinda like Loveline when they have a guest on) and the Ace on the House episodes that people recommend here, like the recent one with Snake. That really was a great episode.