Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah, usually the case in most hour-long reality shows is it feels like they really should be a half hour. But I think this one feels packed. There's a lot more going on than the average fixer/rescue show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It isn't the studios who Adam has burnt the bridges with, it's the distributors. And while he's right, distribution is a giant scam, they're also the real gatekeepers to the theaters. I have a feeling The Hammer would have done a lot better had it been released now since the distribution model has never been better for independent films and he probably would have been able to find a more favorable deal. He might actually be a lot better served this time to do a deal with one of the faux-indy distribution labels but I guess I can understand why he might be reluctant to sign up with one of them again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah I used to listen to the morning show on podcast. Pretty much all the FreeFM shows were podcasted.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Has Drew ever acknowledged Doug Stanhope's problem with people like Drew and Dr.Oz?

They've done a show together.

http://drdrew.com/071-doug-stanhope/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It just seems like it would be hard for them to work together.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think one of the reasons Loveline was better was that Anderson is actually the perfect producer for him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Phil Hendrie swerving right though was a definite surprise and probably 9-11. He always was a little Dadish (oh poo poo, awkward memory, I called the show once a few months after graduating high school when he was doing open lines and he told me to get out of the house and get a job which actually was probably good advice, I have no idea how he pegged that on me) but other than that pretty darn liberal and half his schtick was making conservative radio listeners flip out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

I feel like there's a good book in Phil's life & career, but since about 8 people would read it I know I'm not gonna bother writing it. He's a fascinating guy, and I wish the Phil Hendrie thread didn't die after about 4 days.

I dunno, I surprisingly often encounter people who have heard of him in fans of dudes talking, especially amongst west coast fans. I am not surprised that it's hard to sustain a thread though because I can only talk about my favorite bits so many times (Shaq takes time away from the Lakers to do Shakespeare in the Park, Art Bell parodies, KFI flips formats to Ritmo Latino).

It just got really hard to follow him once I moved away from LA and every few years I'd poke in and it was just different.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. He does not have any of Art's broadcasting chops so he's boring to listen to, he doesn't bring the skepticism that Art did (Art would let you talk about whatever, but never really seemed to be buying it--Noory at least acts as if he believes literally anything you tell him), and he's obsessed with everything being angels.

Yeah pretty much. He doesn’t seem as interested in politics as Bell thankfully in these times, and has banned some or the scummier guests, but he basically spends the whole show in “wow, must be true” mode all night while the caller or guest monologue. Like he could be gaming in the other window unless it’s about angels.

I check in for Ghost to Ghost and like maybe if I am driving and need a podcast break but that is about it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I usually say "from Southern California" and then get more specific if people ask. It's weird that people usually do; they treat "Anaheim" as if I said something vaguely familiar, although eyes start to glaze over if I start talking about the IE and I'm in trouble if I say "Ontario." I think they just want me to say LA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Anderson usually comes around to the non-lovely position but you have to listen to a lot of "maybe both sides are right" or "the truth is in the middle" to get there. But the After Disaster is very funny and the Film Vaul is the least annoying (current) film podcast I've tried (and I've tried a dozen) so I deal.

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 10, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Depending on where you landed he was on some pretty wicked medication last year, and also has had a health scare a few months ago. Like as a regular listener I barely notice but when they replay old episodes it is very noticeable how different he sounds.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's been one of the hard lessons of aging watching people you admired take right hand turns that they would have found abhorrent like just five years prior. Wish I could say it was only famous people I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Things different from when I was a child, change SCARY

I think it’s this but also it’s how people THINK things were in their youth since it’s often pretty easy to just omit a lot of the bad of the past from memory.