Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Eltoasto posted:

8 points into chloro will give you LGV + instant bloom, very nice to go along with it. Then your 3rd soul choice should be based on what spell you want to cast with the eldritch armor procs. 0 points into pyro gets you fireball, a few points into ele gets you lightning strike, and some like stormcaller for aoe forked lightning.

You'll probably just want to be casting Chloro spells as your instants for the +Int proc and more healing.

Take Archon for your third so you have that DoT that gives you vitality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

I think you actually need 5 Pyro for instant Fireballs until something like level 35?

Eldritch Armor gives you an instance cast on proc.

boho posted:

You'll probably just want to be casting Chloro spells as your instants for the +Int proc and more healing.

I use SC to kill a pile of mobs a bit faster. I don't usually need more healing.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah fireball will still be 1 second or so cast until you have 35 points in Harb, but still worth casting for the damage.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
So I played around a bit more and found out that my helmet turns black some times and looks even more badass.

Then I somehow found a way to do this..

Look ma! No hands!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!
I wish I'd checked the OP and seen the Raptr thing before today, as I just ordered a copy of Rift off Amazon :doh:

Oh well, it was only $7, and I should still get the expansion for free as well if I participate in the Raptr rewards thing, right?

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Thought I might check this out again since I played at release and its going f2p - could Rikthor get an invite

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Is the goon guild on Deepwood new? I don't remember it from last time I played in December, and I hope the 200 platinum I donated was put to good use in the cash-strapped beginnings of the expasion.

Please invite me in, the name is Telum.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

William Bear posted:

Is the goon guild on Deepwood new? I don't remember it from last time I played in December, and I hope the 200 platinum I donated was put to good use in the cash-strapped beginnings of the expasion.

Please invite me in, the name is Telum.

Same guild as before, just renamed.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I want to get back into the game and was hoping to get some advice. I want to either play a dps warrior or cleric using a big ol 2 hander, I'm just having hard time picking souls, anyone have some suggestions?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
The OP doesn't have much on mage builds, bluedot's haven't been updated in a while and the other looks like a leveling spec. Is there a site with some ideas on good builds? I haven't played since before the expansion and the trees look a little different so I want to catch up on the changes.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Oraculum Animi posted:

The OP doesn't have much on mage builds, bluedot's haven't been updated in a while and the other looks like a leveling spec. Is there a site with some ideas on good builds? I haven't played since before the expansion and the trees look a little different so I want to catch up on the changes.
The official forums now have sections devoted to class guides, they are posted by whatever random guy wants to do it so their worth will vary but they seem to usually do a good job of explaining their thinking behind their builds at least, you could start there:
http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/mage-guides/

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

:yoshi: Mage Info Dump! :yoshi:

Last updated: 5-16-13

If you are like most people, you chose a mage because you liked to make things explode from a distance, and hey maybe sometimes heal as well! Sadly, we haven't always been able to make things explode very well, and in one patch we were even better melee dps than ranged. But do not fret, rift has such a variation in roles classes can play, we've always been able to play a part. And right now we are in a VERY good place. Pyro makes things blow up rather well.

But first, let's get leveled to 60.

Leveling builds

Harbinger is the best solo leveler due to survability. It's melee, but you get a runspeed buff, a charge, and a teleport along the way. It's also the storm legion soul however, so it may not be an option if you are a F2P player without the expansion. Do not fret though, not having Harbinger will not hamper you at the endgame.

These builds will be leveling builds for questing or exploring, for dungeons/IA's (fastest leveling)/PVP you will want niche builds for full dps or healing, etc. Many of these builds will link to guides here, which is the best source for mage guides at the moment.

Harbinger/Chloro
There can be many variations, but I will put up builds for full harbinger, a splash of chloro, and some pyro. The chloro gives you some healing while you damage, as well as an instant bloom heal if needed. The pyro gives you fireball, which will eventually be an instant cast from the harbinger's eldritch armor procs, but at low levels will be a .5 second cast.

Level 21: The first build, you aren't great at AoE yet. You want to pull with blazing light or withering vines. You should use fireball with your proc, and your spam attack macro should be something like:

#show Storm's Fury
suppressmacrofailures
cast Vorpal Slash
cast Storm's Fury
cast Piercing Beam
cast Storm Slash
cast Blazing Light
cast [notactive] Charged Blade

Buffs:
Eldritch Armor
Lightning Blade

Level 30:

On the way to 30, you continue to dump everything into Harb and extra points into chloro, stopping at 8 points and beginning to dump extra points into pyro. Add Lifegiving veil to your buffs, this heals you when you do damage, especially life damage (Lucent slash, vorpal slash, blazing light). You can now use vile spores as your eldritch proc for some nice healing instead of fireball if the need arises. You've added introspection into harb in case you need to regen some mana in combat. The big news is lucent slash, now you can burn down packs of mobs, the more mobs the more you heal yourself.

Level 40:
Continuing to pick up lots of awesome talents in harb, and filling in pyro. You now have your ranged interrupt from harb, and vengeful shock can go into your spam macro. For healing, planar shield isn't really worth the charge cost, and conditioned response isn't worth it unless your bloom is on cooldown.

Level 51
Hey you made it to storm legion, good job! Picking up lots more handy things in harb. Are you feeling invincible yet? You kinda are. You can put blade rush in the spam macro once you pick up it's in-combat ability if you want, will stun the mob for 4s every 15s. At 44 you got a really nice defensive cd in essence of the wind on a short cooldown. Tempest winds is a pretty awesome channeled attack to mix in there. We are done with pyro now, we got what we wanted with burning fury and now we will be critting a lot more. Did ya notice phantom blades? Yeah, you can now pretend you are melee'ing a dude when you are actually 30m away, and that can be up half the time.

Level 60:
And we are done! You got rending slash at 54, that can go on in the spam macro. At 58 you got a stealthing skill, good for those sticky situations. And at 60, the grand daddy of them all...Empyrean Ascension. For 30s every 2 minutes, you get to turn into a fuckoff metal angel with special attacks. It's not super powerful, but it's fun and it is an increase in damage done. I spam this macro as the angel:

#show Empyrean Ascension
suppressmacrofailures
cast Empyrean Ascension
cast Dancing Limbs
cast Storm Nova
cast Energy Beam
cast Shocking Touch

Other leveling builds coming soon, as soon as we can decide on the best course for non-harb

Endgame Builds
Mages can ranged dps, heal, and run support in raids. As well as DPS or heal in dungeons. As a fresh 60, you may need someone helping with group healing with dungeons as we don't get all the tricks that clerics do. Mages are, however, excellent tank healers. DPS is in a good spot right now, with pyro and warlock putting up nice numbers, and some other specs emerging as we settle in to 2.2 and 2.3. Chloro is what I primarily run in groups, so feel free to ask Stampy any questions in game. Amory runs DPS more than most of our mages and puts up obscene numbers, she can answer questions on pyro or lock specs. Abuadlah (abadmage) has run Archon for a while and can give tips, it's easy to be a mediocre archon but a good one will really help the group.

Healing Builds
This is an excellent guide
I use the 8 pyro/7 harb build myself and swear by it. A build with dominator squirrel in it isn't bad to have either.

Support Builds
All fresh 60's should make an archon build, you can help out raids easily that way, even if you barely have enough hit to get in. Here is a longwinded video about the Archon abilities. Go ahead and read this one stop thread for all builds Archon.

DPS Builds
Right now I would say that you want to carry 3 DPS roles. One AOE role (Either 61 Dom or 61 Stormcaller, depending on preference) along with Warlock and Pyro. If you don't have that many slots open, choose between lock and pyro. Warlock is very mobile, easy to run, and does high damage. It has been given some help with target switching and aoe, but is not very ideal for fights that have you switching a lot. Pyro can switch just fine with prime on a low cd now, and it is a lot more mobile but still not as mobile as lock. If any other mages have constructive stuff to add to the DPS section, lemme know and I will, I am certainly not an expert in the field.

One of the several pyro guides, probably as good as any other until Valerry updates his.

Valerry's 61 Warlock Guide

61 Stormcaller!

I don't see a good Dom guide, so tldr dump all points into dom, the rest into whatever. Cast mass betrayal and traitorous influence, watch everything die. If stuff is alive, cast your other AOE's. Then chill until the cd's are up.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 17, 2013

Sep 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

:yoshi: Mage Info Dump! :yoshi:

I don't know why I'm so gun-ho about getting mage specs going, because I won't be able to play until it goes F2P and I'm only level 50.

I was looking through the RIFT forums and the 44/32 Necrolist (http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#fhkG6wam0/hkGh1kEkww/) and a 58 Archon/18 Pyro (http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ik8F0/GlkaGGkGFay/) spec looked interesting. I'll also probably stick a 61 Chloro spec in there somewhere. I don't remember exactly but I think I have 5 slots available.

I'm probably going to actively avoid Harbinger because I'm not too big on melee and it looks sort of like a rogue soul.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Pyro is by far the most fun mage spec for me and I'm pushing 10k DPS in non-raid gear (ok I have a raid necklace) in Experts without an Archon/BM.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Pretty good podcast in case you guys are curious about the F2P conversion:

http://mmoreporter.com/2013/05/16/rift-reporter-episode-76-free-to-play-whaaa/

Looks like the main reason for the decision was not short term financials, but wanting to make the game community better in the long term.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

So I want to get back into the game and was hoping to get some advice. I want to either play a dps warrior or cleric using a big ol 2 hander, I'm just having hard time picking souls, anyone have some suggestions?

Warriors IIRC grind mobs in Champ/Warlord or Tempest depending on if you want to chain-pull AoE or erase Single Target mobs (this is based on what people used on release).

Grinding as a cleric you can either destroy mobs ST as inquisitor or use Cab-Defiler to have your beacon bring all the boys to the yard and then AoE them down. There's also some druid grind spec but I never used it v:shobon:v.

Currently warriors have a variety of useful souls for raid encounters (I think our warriors use all 4 dps souls even!) and a variety of tank souls which are pretty cool. If you want to do damage end-game as a cleric your main options in raid are going to be Shaman (whack things with hammers and big sticks) and sometimes Inquisitor(shoot lasers). Shaman is pretty much going to outperform inquisitor except when the fight is extremely not melee friendly or if you need purges.

Clerics have a variety of specialized healing options, with one soul better for reactive general healing in small groups and the other three all see raid utilization. Also they tank by healing.

meecrob
Jul 3, 2007
I'd scarf down a whole wet bucket full of shit before I ate another plate of meecrob.
Used Raptr to jack my account up to Storm Legion even though I haven't ever played much or even in the past year. Should I sub a month or just wait until F2P?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Zoness posted:

There's also some druid grind spec but I never used it v:shobon:v.

Heresy, it's a great grinding spec.

Also at 60 61 shaman/15 defiler was a great somewhat raid-viable (it's like 2% below best) build.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

I go with a 51 archon/25 pyro. You get all of the great things from Archon while putting out a decent amount more DPS (Cinder Burst proc is awesome, I crit for ~50k with it). On a long fight without target switching or lots of moving I've hit 12k DPS while still doing all my archon things. Most fights I end up between 8-10k. It takes a minute or so before you can climb that high, though. And the Cinder Burst procs really boost it.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Zoness posted:

Warriors IIRC grind mobs in Champ/Warlord or Tempest depending on if you want to chain-pull AoE or erase Single Target mobs (this is based on what people used on release).

Grinding as a cleric you can either destroy mobs ST as inquisitor or use Cab-Defiler to have your beacon bring all the boys to the yard and then AoE them down. There's also some druid grind spec but I never used it v:shobon:v.

Currently warriors have a variety of useful souls for raid encounters (I think our warriors use all 4 dps souls even!) and a variety of tank souls which are pretty cool. If you want to do damage end-game as a cleric your main options in raid are going to be Shaman (whack things with hammers and big sticks) and sometimes Inquisitor(shoot lasers). Shaman is pretty much going to outperform inquisitor except when the fight is extremely not melee friendly or if you need purges.

Clerics have a variety of specialized healing options, with one soul better for reactive general healing in small groups and the other three all see raid utilization. Also they tank by healing.

What does "destroy mobs ST" mean?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ReadingZucchini posted:

ST means single target, Tempest and Inquisitor are good at focusing down single targets but not as great at dealing with large groups of enemies continuously.

Sometimes mob populations are sparse enough that single target specs have an advantage and other times AoE mobgrinding is advantageous.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

ReadingZucchini posted:

ST is single target. In other words you're going to chew through individual targets very quickly.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zoness posted:

Sweet, thanks that helps a lot. Also how do I choose which souls I use? When I made my character I only had the premade options. I just used the raptr code too, so it's a full account too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elblanco posted:

Sweet, thanks that helps a lot. Also how do I choose which souls I use? When I made my character I only had the premade options. I just used the raptr code too, so it's a full account too.

Once you get in game and can access your soul trees, just click on the little soul icons and you'll be able to switch them around. If you need to reset your points at all, just talk your trainer; it's insanely cheap.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in as Gyokuro, about to send an invite to join the guild. This is pretty cool so far.

Sep 13, 2007

necrotic posted:

I go with a 51 archon/25 pyro. You get all of the great things from Archon while putting out a decent amount more DPS (Cinder Burst proc is awesome, I crit for ~50k with it). On a long fight without target switching or lots of moving I've hit 12k DPS while still doing all my archon things. Most fights I end up between 8-10k. It takes a minute or so before you can climb that high, though. And the Cinder Burst procs really boost it.

Is that DPS going to make up for the lack in support with Burning Purpose and Granite Salvo?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is that DPS going to make up for the lack in support with Burning Purpose and Granite Salvo?

51 Archon has Burning Purpose, so all you'd lose is Salvo.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Oraculum Animi posted:

Losing Salvo doesn't seem to make that much of a difference, honestly. There might be scenarios where one is better than the other, but I think it balances out in the end.

Once 2.3 comes out and I can get more soul slots I'll probably end up having 2-3 for Archon specs so I can switch it up based on the situation. Until that point I'm sticking with my current one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
As much hate as point-to-point gets it's actually a really useful ability on certain encounters. It's basically a DPS gain on Regulos Phase 1 and Transition 1 using our strategy, for starters.

Most fights (read: every other raid encounter in the game) have execution strategies that make it less necessary but it's the kind of ability that can really make an encounter simpler if used well by the raid.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The three Archon specs to have include 51 archon 58 archon and 61 archon, in order of general to specific usefulness. 58 archon helps when you need to do a bunch of poo poo on the fight (purging/cleansing like Saetos/Twins comes to mind). 61 is neat for having PtP and helps in some fights.

One of those should have dom too, usually 58/18 for ultimate utility.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?
Granite salvo does not stack with bard buffs, not much of a point to go past 51.

It takes a bit of finesse to get things down, if you're wanting to faceroll and do well, raiding as a dps mage may not be for you :3 On fights appropriate and support classes doing as they should, I more often than not 18k+ with warlock single target with my meager 5200SP and 948CP raid buffed. I've tried pyro on a couple fights and to do well with it... you need to pay as much attention as you do to the warlock rotation. Pyro lacks the ability to cleave for fights such as twins and without question warlock has the best survivability.

As far as mage guides at 60, there are many to sift through and some are just riffraff; I'll list the few I've used.
DPS:
61 Pyro - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/mage-guides/357546-how-61-pro-my-first-guide.html - If you try to macro all of your abilities together, expect ability lag and poor cooldown management!
61 Warlock - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gen...en-valeryy.html
Heals:
61 Chloromancer - http://addictguild.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=6619 - That variation is amazing tank and raid heals and pairs very well with critpower. I'm not sure why anyone would opt for dom as a subsoul anymore with the utility it offers being kind of... not used like the days of old.

lsp fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 17, 2013

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Zoness posted:

As much hate as point-to-point gets it's actually a really useful ability on certain encounters. It's basically a DPS gain on Regulos Phase 1 and Transition 1 using our strategy, for starters.

Most fights (read: every other raid encounter in the game) have execution strategies that make it less necessary but it's the kind of ability that can really make an encounter simpler if used well by the raid.

have you tried using it on jultharin to skip a few waves of wisps? i've never seen it before, just curious

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
Oh poo poo, raid gear on the store! It's only buyable with Infinity Stones though. Pants and Chest were 8750 IS each.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

shut up gelly posted:

have you tried using it on jultharin to skip a few waves of wisps? i've never seen it before, just curious

It's usually not worth the trouble to set up unless for some reason your group is better at using PtP than shooting the correct wisp (this never happens).

It used to be that you could use PtP to have your group on top of the vine and tank Jultharin there and skip everything but this was either fixed or the fight is too easy anyway (I haven't seen anyone try this since like the one time I pugged ToDQ).

The thing with PtP in most SL raid encounters I've seen is that the space is either too small to make it useful or the encounter is designed such that a fixed location is unlikely to remain safe reliably.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

Yeah, I do miss P2P. We aren't on Regulos yet, so that's a non-issue. One of the specs I'll be adding in 2.3 is a 61-point Archon.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

lsp posted:

61 Chloromancer - http://addictguild.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=6619 - That variation is amazing tank and raid heals and pairs very well with critpower. I'm not sure why anyone would opt for dom as a subsoul anymore with the utility it offers being kind of... not used like the days of old.

Arrested Presence is pretty drat useful for a lot of the trash in FT. Outside of that its kind of a waste, though.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Big layoffs at Trion
http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-hit-the-studio-behind-defiance-and-rift-508295988

I hope the f2p conversion of Rift helps them out with cash flow.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?

necrotic posted:

Arrested Presence is pretty drat useful for a lot of the trash in FT. Outside of that its kind of a waste, though.

Archon or Trash dom should probably be doing this while the chloro uses charge for entropic veil--

Sep 13, 2007

deimos posted:

The three Archon specs to have include 51 archon 58 archon and 61 archon, in order of general to specific usefulness. 58 archon helps when you need to do a bunch of poo poo on the fight (purging/cleansing like Saetos/Twins comes to mind). 61 is neat for having PtP and helps in some fights.

One of those should have dom too, usually 58/18 for ultimate utility.

Would a 58 archon/18 pyro give the utility of archon with the dps boosts of pyro? That seems to be the happy medium between the 51 Archon and 58 Archon DPS-wise and while I was playing I never really found Dom to be too useful except for some trash pull CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

spronk posted:

Big layoffs at Trion
http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-hit-the-studio-behind-defiance-and-rift-508295988

I hope the f2p conversion of Rift helps them out with cash flow.

This is really distressing since by all appearances, Defiance did great.

Zorba, are you still there? :(

• Locked thread