Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I will be coming back to this game when it becomes F2P. Hopefully I won't be missing out too much by not having the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 13, 2007
I have the game and Raptr running and it's recording my time. I'm not really worried about the 30 free days of play time, I'm more interested in getting the expansion.

I have a level 50 mage in a lot of the water raid gear. I loved raiding and I miss being an archon and back up healer.

Sep 13, 2007
So I did the raptr thing and I got the expansion but because I already had an account I did not get the 30 free days. I also transferred my mage, cleric, and rogue to Deepwood so when the game goes F2P I can play with fellow goons.

Is it possible to avoid the mage's new soul? I got a mage to be ranged and having a melee soul doesn't interest me. Especially if it's for healing.

Sep 13, 2007

QPZIL posted:

There's like 9 different souls in the Mage calling, one of which is melee based. You can by all means play a ranged mage and be viable. From what I'm told, Pyro and Warlock are both great in raids.

Oh I know, I had an archon support, two chloro heal specs, and two DPS specs while I was raiding. But I see the new soul is good for solo-ing and there's a heal spec with it and I was hoping they weren't going to be top so I could avoid them.

I'll probably play it just to see how it runs and I might have to eat my own words.

Sep 13, 2007
The OP doesn't have much on mage builds, bluedot's haven't been updated in a while and the other looks like a leveling spec. Is there a site with some ideas on good builds? I haven't played since before the expansion and the trees look a little different so I want to catch up on the changes.

Sep 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

:yoshi: Mage Info Dump! :yoshi:

I don't know why I'm so gun-ho about getting mage specs going, because I won't be able to play until it goes F2P and I'm only level 50.

I was looking through the RIFT forums and the 44/32 Necrolist (http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#fhkG6wam0/hkGh1kEkww/) and a 58 Archon/18 Pyro (http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ik8F0/GlkaGGkGFay/) spec looked interesting. I'll also probably stick a 61 Chloro spec in there somewhere. I don't remember exactly but I think I have 5 slots available.

I'm probably going to actively avoid Harbinger because I'm not too big on melee and it looks sort of like a rogue soul.

Sep 13, 2007

necrotic posted:

I go with a 51 archon/25 pyro. You get all of the great things from Archon while putting out a decent amount more DPS (Cinder Burst proc is awesome, I crit for ~50k with it). On a long fight without target switching or lots of moving I've hit 12k DPS while still doing all my archon things. Most fights I end up between 8-10k. It takes a minute or so before you can climb that high, though. And the Cinder Burst procs really boost it.

Is that DPS going to make up for the lack in support with Burning Purpose and Granite Salvo?

Sep 13, 2007

deimos posted:

The three Archon specs to have include 51 archon 58 archon and 61 archon, in order of general to specific usefulness. 58 archon helps when you need to do a bunch of poo poo on the fight (purging/cleansing like Saetos/Twins comes to mind). 61 is neat for having PtP and helps in some fights.

One of those should have dom too, usually 58/18 for ultimate utility.

Would a 58 archon/18 pyro give the utility of archon with the dps boosts of pyro? That seems to be the happy medium between the 51 Archon and 58 Archon DPS-wise and while I was playing I never really found Dom to be too useful except for some trash pull CC.

Sep 13, 2007

GarudaPrime posted:

So this is probably a dumb question but if im not subbed and want to get the expansion through raptr how do i do it?
I make a new account for a free trial and just play that for x hours then I can use the SL code on my unsubbed account?

You'll also have to download the Raptr client. I found it unintuitive to get the client to record the times I played RIFT because it didn't recognize it at first. Luckily, once you do get them both to work the Raptr client is good about telling you how long you've been playing the game and once you close the game it'll give you a report about how long you've been playing. You can also let the game time out and it'll still record your time so you can leave it running while you sleep or go out with friends. And you get a costume helm and shoulders as Raptr rewards in addition to the game and free time (if it's a new account).

Sep 13, 2007
This is an off the wall question. Is there a way to give characters a circular shadow under them? I don't have environmental shadows turned on because my computer is not that great and I've gotten used to other games giving characters at least a little darkness under them to give them some grounding but I noticed RIFT doesn't have that. Am I missing a setting I can turn on?

Sep 13, 2007

Solarflare posted:

Some of my friends are looking to get into Rift because of the f2p change. Just so I have it straight, all they have to do is download Raptr and Rift, and run the game to get the Rift/SL/30 days code?

That's basically it. I had a small hiccup in trying to get Raptr to recognize Rift as a game and record I played it.

Sep 13, 2007
Because RIFT is opening up their game for a few days, I would like an invite to the guild. My name is Belos.

Sep 13, 2007
How intensive is the new content, computer-wise, compared to the old? I was able to do a zone event in the fire island when I was 50 but when a zone boss popped up in one of the starter areas of the new zone my frame rate dropped below 1 FPS, I was actually afraid my computer froze.

Sep 13, 2007

I have to agree with this sentiment.

Sep 13, 2007
I am not close to raid ready as I am only level 57 but I am interested in raiding. I have experience in Hammerknell, Greenscale's Blight, and River of Souls, and I don't mind doing bitch duty like Archon.

Sep 13, 2007

Zoness posted:

I literally dropped like 300 spellspun silk in there (JUNK) a few weeks ago are those all gone @_@.

Let me check my other alts I used to be up to my some really high body part in spellspun.

I don't see why people see Archon as a bitch role when being a good Archon has a huge bearing on whether your raid kills a progression fight or not. The roles you don't double up on are more important not less important. If anything, being a good Archon is rather tough because you want to manage your charge for power draining and want to track when best to use flaring power in a raid situation while packing good utility.

Being a good Archon is something to be proud of.

I meant it more in that I hear a lot of people consider it boring. I like doing the more boring, support-style roles that don't get top DPS on the meters. When I raided I was our guild's archon or extra healer. Rarely did I DPS and I didn't mind.

Sep 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Hoom and Pandetta will be running all the hunt rifts for the cheev+exp in a couple hours (6:30pm est or so), feel free to join them!

Belos will probably be helping out with this.

Sep 13, 2007
In the past I subscribed to this game, 8 months if I recall, but that was over a year ago. Will I get credit for those months or do they have to be adjacent to the F2P release?

Sep 13, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Copied from the Rift forum (and copied from Trion's support FAQ)

I was just curious because I checked my account and I have 0 available credits, so I guess it's part of the ongoing process.

Sep 13, 2007

Coach Sport posted:

Anyone have any tips for new F2P players? I played through the trial way back at release but didn't drop the money to subscribe. Now that its F2P I don't have to, so clearly you all are suckers. Am I missing anything significant by not paying, though?

Currently if you don't pay you will be stuck in a hours long queue during peek hours and you'll miss out on reusable flasks that up exp, favor, notoriety gains as well as a random gift once a day. If you want to experience the Patron Experience you can buy a 3 day pass to check things out or to ride out the huge queue times until they fix things.

Sep 13, 2007
I'm watching the twitch.tv live stream and the three guys seem pretty chill and talking about tentative upcoming content (new emotes, dances, two new raids, slides, splitting clusters up, and a new warzone). They're also drinking alcohol on stream.

Sep 13, 2007

boho posted:

Do I have to watch Twitch to get this free stuff?

You have to be signed up, follow the channel, and have put something in the chat within the last 10 minutes. There are currently 6k people watching, though, so you have slim odds.

Sep 13, 2007

headcase posted:

I haven't played Rift in almost 2 years, but I'm thinking of trying the F2P. Do you think my char will still be there? He's got an HK relic staff, is that still relevant gear? Can you earn credits by doing free things in game? I object to paying for in game advantages. Will that cripple me? or is it just fluff?

At level 60 it won't be relevant but you can transmute its cosmetics on another staff. Having played before F2P you'll get some credits for past subscriptions and you can buy credits with plat. You can by expert dungeon gear and the highest speed mount, that's about the closest to "advantage", so you can play this game completely without touching the cash shop. The cash shop makes life "easier" by giving an alternative way to buy things.

Sep 13, 2007

Amethyste posted:

Haven't had a chance to play in a while, but have a subscription still valid.

My brother is thinking of playing Rift...if he goes FTP and I am a subscriber/patron, can I gift items to him from the marketplace etc?

I figured I would ask first before I get him all gung-ho about playing...would like to get him and his gf some pressies in game if possible.

Not everything is giftable but a lot are, such as mounts. There's a little button with a gift box in it if you can gift someone. If you can afford it you probably want to throw them the SL souls.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 19, 2013

Sep 13, 2007

Oddity posted:

They mentioned in this stream that the new method of giveaways is 1.) be in the chat (don't have to chat) and 2.) be following Trion on Twitch. So no need to spam (although people still will), but you have to be following them.

On another topic, what guild level is Everything is Fine right now? And are you guys Defiant or Guardian? Or can have a guild have both in this game?

Both factions are in the guild! You can actually group up with the other faction. Last night I did an expert with a filthy High Elf!

Sep 13, 2007

Lord Dekks posted:

We're only casual in terms of time and commitment willing to put in, we do tend do the whole spergy theorycrafting thing, just got sick of the time needed for raids and ultra spergy Guild leaders/players.

Duo dungeons sound fantastic so interest is definitely piqued. Thanks for the responses guys.

If you do want to raid there is going to be a big time investment with reputation grinds needed for enchants on multiple pieces of gear. If you don't plan on raiding there are world events, expert dungeons, artifact hunting, dimensions that you can decorate, and rifts that don't require grinding. This is also one of the better games to be a pretty princess because you have a lot of wardrobe slots, the only cost for cosmetic gear is buying the actual item you want to show (except weapons which you have to buy a transmute stone from the cash shop), dyes are relatively cheap, and you aren't stuck with just your class armor.

Unfortunately, there are only 6 chronicles. Four level 50 and two level 60.

Sep 13, 2007

lsp posted:

So, even if this is just conjecture... it is certainly fun to look over and start thinking about what is in store. Some are saying the new soul abilities have leaked, as they are on magelo.

Mages - Arbiter
Clerics - Crusader
Warrior - Liberator
Rogues - Physician

:coal:

So mages summon a shield pet and clerics look like archons. Looks like mages, if this is accurate, will probably want to go into Elementalist and Harbinger for off souls.

Sep 13, 2007
I would like to move off Three Springs so any option is viable to me.

Sep 13, 2007

Daerc posted:

I am amused that without context I can tell you who was being insulted (it was Kreczor), but not the name of the person doing the insulting, nor why they are insulting Kreczor.

You would be incorrect. That would be Belos (me) making fun of Murven.

Sep 13, 2007

necrotic posted:

I'm sure people would be up for HK (I would help, even though I already conquered it), and I know a bunch of us still want to do an ID achievement run (and full clear, which we never did :().

I would love to experience this content since I missed Akylios and everything in ID.

Sep 13, 2007

lsp posted:

A very thorough guide to Harbinger leveling 1-60 valvalval.net
Click around on the site, these are some quality guides created by the guy who made a majority of the go-to mage guides for pre-SL.

I would be really excited if Necromancer became a viable raiding build because I just enjoy the esthetics of it more.

Sep 13, 2007
Tomorrow I (Belos) want to do some crafting rifts. I haven't done any since pre-SL so hopefully they're not overhwhelming. If you've got a crafting lure come on, if you don't that's fine since we'll need bodies. I prefer 60s to make it easy because I'm lazy.

Sep 13, 2007

Post poste posted:

Machine Elves here, I'll try to be on to do some too, do we have a time frame?

Im not sure. Later, probably. 6-8 pm est.

Sep 13, 2007
Hey, a small thing that I've noticed. For the new people joining and leveling up their characters: you don't need to put lowbie consumable stuff in the gbank. There's a lot of random potions, runes, and rift-drop consumables that very few people are going to use. My advice is to ask in guild if anyone wants them and if no one says anything put them on the AH or vendor them. The exceptions are the level 50 rift consumables and any unwanted artifacts that you don't want to put on the auction house.

The crafting tab has stacks of a lot of low level materials like leather and herbs and they are there to help people level their crafting skills, don't be afraid to use them.

Sep 13, 2007

Serai posted:

I got a surprise with my paycheck and decided, what the heck, lets buy this stuff. So I got the Rift + Storm collector code. Well, I only got one code. Should I have gotten two? And I apparently got the infinity version of Storm, is that the "right" one?
I was looking for the souls and bag slots for my characters.

e: I apparently got 7000 loyalty. Thats good I guess. And my patron status says 60 days remaining. Am I good then?

If you can play with the Harbinger, Defiler, Tempest, or Tactician soul you are good to go.

Sep 13, 2007

necrotic posted:

Mage loot! I got Quill of the Aurora and someone else got Icon of Control. Then we downed Kain and Esthi got Reaper's Edge.

We will never see Mage loot again :(

You missed that I (Belos) got the dagger of Zaviel, made the off-hand from the raid drops, and got the staff from TDQ. Oh, and Amory finally got the necklace from TDQ!

Sep 13, 2007

KaneTW posted:

Yeah, 3 wipes on Crucia before we got her and 2 of those didn't even count (Egeus crashing, interrupt bugging out)

And everyone was alive at the end. It was the smoothest last 50% ever.

Sep 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Summerfest announcement:
http://community.riftgame.com/en/20...summerfest_text

Has some pics of the swimsuits

Yes! Short shorts! I'm glad I bought a REX.

Sep 13, 2007

deimos posted:

Once we realised 4 or 5 of us were carrying their raids it became depressing again, thankfully Trion liberated us by splitting the shards.

We don't get off that easy, we went to Three Springs partly to raid with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 13, 2007

necrotic posted:

After much debate... I think we almost didn't?

There was more to it than raiding with that other guild, there was an influx of people who wanted to join the guild but couldn't because the shard was locked. The three reasons we went to Three Springs, from what I heard and from most important to least, were accepting people to the guild, to raid with the other guild, and to escape from Seastone.

• Locked thread