Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I bought this at release and played kinda-sorta on/off. The issues I had were the world was kinda dull and I was put off by 'just macro everything together, mash 3 buttons' to play characters. Considering playing again, so I have to ask, has the latter changed at all? I don't like super button bloat, but I also think macroing it all together is kind of boring. Are there any soul set ups at the moment that are effective and can be played to great effect without macroing all your abilities together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Zoness posted:

Honestly, if you think anything can be reduced to mashing 3 buttons aside from the Shaman AoE rotation (which is 3 non-macro'd buttons!) or a solo spec (in which simplicity is more important than optimal results you probably aren't playing the rotation as tightly as you can be. (I've heard nightblade is a button light spec too though). Macros just reduce the book-keeping on the rotation so you can focus on getting the most out of your cooldowns.

When the game was first starting out, I recall reading a number of warrior and rogue guides that had very large and intricate macros, which were put forth in a manner that basically stated 'if you do not use these macros to automate your rotation you are playing wrong'. I don't find having 50-60 buttons fun (cough EQ2), but I don't find boiling things down to 3 macros fun. If that was just pubbies being pubbies and posting bullshit and it's more like 3-4 macros to manage rotation + your cooldowns/utilities/etc. for situational usage, I'm fine with that. I know the game has a lot of filler attacks that are unexciting and just bloat the bar, so you won't 'miss them' by sticking them in a macro.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

There are a couple specs that boil down into a big macro or two, but those are often NOT the best specs. Most specs written by top level raiders will chastise people who overuse macros because often a big macro can lag a bit and you end up not using the skills exactly when you should. tldr, there are really dumbed down macro based specs, but also some really complex specs to run.

Alright, cool, I'll give it a go. Thanks everyone. :) All my characters are on deepwood already so I'll tack a month on later and get invites. Just saw the 'faction doesn't matter' thing, and that's really neat. Don't know what class I'm going to level first. What would be the most needed things if I got to 60 and did end game stuff? I like support>dps>healing>tank. I know I can swap souls up as needed, but some suggestions would let me see what interests me conceptually so I can actually focus for once. :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Is leveling through IAs reasonable? I just noticed they're doable by low level players, and I'm kinda tired of questing in MMOs by running from hub to hub.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Jesus christ what's with all these flamethrowers I see people toting. :stare:

e: Also wow, IAs are great exp for low effort and chill as gently caress.

e2: vvv Is this some sort of Storm Legion class? I think I will be leveling my rogue. :aaaaa:

e3: Oh my god Rift has HOUSING.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 16, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Good lord you seem to level so fast just doing IAs (and the quests near them) and hitting up rifts as appropriate plus the daily quests. :v: I can't see any reason to just go 'hub to hub' questing as per normal.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I should have my free expansion this afternoon, gonna tack on a month and level my rogue who is... 26 or 27? Can anyone recommend a leveling build for Tactician? Or long-term suggestions? Wanna be a dude with a flamethrower. :flame:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Oh god Tactician is hilarious and melts everything. :swoon:

On the mage side of things, is Harbinger solid for leveling?

e: vvv Hooray! What do you suggest with it?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 17, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

ReadingZucchini posted:

What does "destroy mobs ST" mean?

ST is single target. In other words you're going to chew through individual targets very quickly.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

God, I have to say again I love IAs. I can log in, play 30 minutes, gain a level and gently caress off for the day. It is the ultimate in casual social play.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I was going to level my Mage, but then while doing IAs today I saw a warrior near me that was floating through the air and making GBS threads out electricity everywhere. I need to do that. :stare: I keep seeing all these cool things and changing classes. :negative:

Can I get a guild invite on Momizi?

e: They were dual wielding so I'd guess it was Tempest/Riftblade/Paragon, but I didn't see a Way buff on them, so I dunno.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Kenny Rogers posted:

In theory, does this also make guilds effectively cross-shard?

Also: As the OP author for the Defiance thread, I have to say that seeing Hellbugs in a rift last night was a pretty :catdrugs: moment for me. I had no idea.

There are Hellbug mounts too. No idea how to get them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

desudrive posted:

You too can run around four incredibly washed out, uninspired biomes with questing that won't even take you to max level unless you use experience potions. For free!

Enjoy a forest! And... a swampy forest! A desert! And lava world! All of this with the most bland and uninspired kill/collect quests you've ever done!

... seriously, what happened to this game?

yeah seriously this. the problem I had with the game wasn't gameplay itself, but the world is really loving bland and uninspired. it's one of the least interesting game settings i've ever played, both visually and in terms of writing.

• Locked thread