Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

In case you're looking for a good WWII book, Rick Atkinson's "The Guns at Last Light" is a great account of Operation Overlord and the Allied campaign through the end of the war. Be warned- the author has a very ostentatious vocabulary, and the profligate verbosity through which he dispenses the narrative is occasionally akin to fighting the dreaded Hun through the bocage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I just finished Matterhorn. Holy gently caress, what a great read that was. One of the best novels about Vietnam for sure.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

white privilege posted:

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Ricks' books (or views, to be honest. The Petraeus dicksucking is excessive) but I thoroughly enjoy his blog. I've written some guest columns, and am a regular commenter.

And in another instance of SA bleeding onto an otherwise respectable blog, Ricks wrote this post that featured none other than a now-private video from Caro's visit to Libya.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

If you're into adventure writing, the anthology collections of Mark Jenkins are really good. Dude was a columnist for Outside Magazine and now works for National Geographic, and his books "A Man's Life" and "The Hard Way" are great. He also wrote a book about cycling across Russia called "Off the Map" that is pretty :stare: at times.

• Locked thread