Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

sandpiper posted:

They still have a place for me because Japan hates developing games for PC and a lot of my favorite companies never make games for PC, ever.

Japan is very quickly becoming irrelevant to gaming. Not to go all D&D in Games, but the country has been economically stagnant for 20 years, and has a stagnant/falling rapidly ageing population. Niche companies will focus on Japan, because Japan has fairly unique gaming tastes compared to the rest of the world, but I would imagine major gaming companies will ignore Japan and try to penetrate deeper into the greener pastures of Brazil, India and China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think the people who were saying that Nintendo might be bringing game streaming to Wii U could be right, and they are just putting their game content into the Content ID scraper because they intend on letting people record gameplay directly to Youtube, like the PS4 is doing. I don't know if the Wii U is actually capable of it; they did dedicate half a gig of RAM to the OS so I guess it's possible.

It's not really a RAM issue. The PS4 has a whole extra processor in there to handle recording and compressing video so that the main processor doesn't have to worry about it.

e: And also the Wii U has a whole gig of RAM dedicated to the OS. That leaves it with 1 GB for games compared to the 6 or so that the other new consoles will have available.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 17, 2013

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

But didn't they also acknowledge that "Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" was a misstep as well? That turned off a lot of people from the start. Seems they're backed into a corner with the price.

Given that Sony just recently got back into the green after 5 years of losses, they'll probably don't won't want to risk ending up back in the red again. Rather have a high price and be profitable immediately, rather than subsidize it heavily and get ripped a new one if it isn't a instant hit. And if Sony isn't going to do it, there really isn't much reason for Microsoft to do it either.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean it's not an amazing CPU that the Wii U has but it is a multi-core CPU, and I don't think any of the CPUs of this next generation are super great compared to everything else under the hood (and the 'everything else under the hood' in the PS4/Next Xbox blow the Wii U away, basically). So I don't want to just rule it out and say the Wii U can't encode video.

I know that Nintendo really digs some of those NSMB speedruns and skill videos, they have posted a couple in the past, so it could be something they want. I know you can share screen captures on Miiverse, and Miiverse is rolling out to PC/mobile now. Maybe there will be something in the summer firmware update.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Crowbear posted:

A sizable LCD touchscreen

Please note that it's a single touch resistive touchscreen running at 854×480.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

I mean it's not an amazing CPU that the Wii U has but it is a multi-core CPU, and I don't think any of the CPUs of this next generation are super great compared to everything else under the hood (and the 'everything else under the hood' in the PS4/Next Xbox blow the Wii U away, basically). So I don't want to just rule it out and say the Wii U can't encode video.

It's 3 slightly souped up Wii cores compared to the 8 Jaguar cores that the other consoles will have. Even though the PS4 and Nextbox (rumored) are going with efficient CPUs instead of pure power, they're still going to blow the Wii U's CPU out of the water.

I just don't think video capture is something they can enable after the fact if the console wasn't designed with it in mind.

e: This is getting kind of off topic though.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

And still lags like gently caress, going off of games like Lego City Undercover when Giant Bomb covered them a few weeks back.

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

No, I'm in touch with humanity.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Resistive? I had just assumed it was capacitive.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

OK so to sum up, it isn't a dreamcast but they are doomed/fine/in danger/too early to tell/i had a lucid dream/video game tarot reading.
I haven't seen how long it took other systems to get a downright "killer app" that was exclusive on the other systems but I'm in the its to early to tell sorry internet Nintendo sleuths camp. I honestly can't play some of my favorite games on the Wii U on other consoles because no one is doing 2 screen games these days. The only 2 Wii U titles that used the second screen in a fashion that changed the way I played rather then simply enhanced it were ZombiU and Nintendoland. Except for the 3ds these two titles do not have rivals in terms of gameplay moreso with local friends.

That said those two titles are both rushed and or dolled up tech demos. What will justify the Wii U as a purchase is for it to have solid titles that "get" the second screen as well as those two do but with the benifit of greater depth and polish. Not more here's yer map screen kid. I don't see those titles yet.

After Xenoblade blowing my mind I'm hoping what appears to be Monolithsoft's Xenoblade 2 with online co-op is one of those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM If you haven't seen this I don't know why your in this thread.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 17, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Britva Cutter posted:

Resistive? I had just assumed it was capacitive.

You'd think that, considering almost every touch screen device in the last 5 years has been, but nope. Resistive.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Junkie Disease posted:

After Xenoblade blowing my mind I'm hoping what appears to be Monolithsoft's Xenoblade 2 with online co-op is one of those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM If you haven't seen this I don't know why your in this thread.

The first game got an extremely limited release in America. Also it's not going to be out until 2014 most likely. Would be fine and dandy if it was a launch game, but it's a long long long long way off.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They figured out early on that if you actually hold one your not going at that screen with more then 1 to 2 fingers and hold it comfortably.
I am quite willing to wait for Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Junkie Disease posted:

That's fine, but most people aren't. I mean writing off the console's first year as barren isn't exactly good.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Junkie Disease posted:

They figured out early on that if you actually hold one your not going at that screen with more then 1 to 2 fingers and hold it comfortably.

Anime and giant robots, there's a winning combination that's sure to move Wii U consoles in America!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

NewtGoongrich posted:

Anime and giant robots, there's a winning combination that's sure to move Wii U consoles in America!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 Ok don't play the first one. That's fine. But as someone that was sick of the sameness of jrpgs Xenoblade broke a ton of the mold. This isn't a Xenoblade is a good argument thread that link is.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

NewtGoongrich posted:

How dare that guy be excited for a video game

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Junkie Disease posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 Ok don't play the first one. That's fine. But as someone that was sick of the sameness of jrpgs Xenoblade broke a ton of the mold. This isn't a Xenoblade is a good argument thread that link is.

I've played it and I think it's a great game. Games can be great and not have widespread appeal, though.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Junkie Disease posted:

I like JRPGs. I like Xenoblade. Given the sales numbers of both JRPGs and Xenoblade, I can infer the vast majority of gamers don't care for either of these things. I imagine the impact of a new Xenoblade game will be negligible for sales.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
So I recently bought a WiiU for £150 bucks from Amazon when they decided to slash the price for a bit. Mainly just to satisfy my curiosity...

Things that really piss me off are...

5 hours to update the console when plugging it in for the first time

long long long loading times, especially on lego undercover

bullshit 'gotta by 'em all' tactic. i.e. if you want to play 2 player mario, you HAVE to use a Wiimote (and in that position it's a horrible controller to use) No you can't use the gamepad or the pro controller. There is no good reason for this.

Penny pinching- in the EU the console does not come with a sensor bar, in the US it does...

Games- there are plenty of games on the shelf, but like with the Wii most of them are the same shovelware crap that turns away gamers.

Motion controls forced down your throat when a button push would do - I thought with the gamepad the days of the waggle were behind us, until i saw a 'till gamepad to jump' instruction in lego...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NewtGoongrich posted:

I like JRPGs. I like Xenoblade. Given the sales numbers of both JRPGs and Xenoblade, I can infer the vast majority of gamers don't care for either of these things. I imagine the impact of a new Xenoblade game will be negligible for sales.

Xenoblade didn't sell poorly, it sold more in the US than the NoA expected, which is not at all. It was Gamestop exclusive, for goodness sake. The only reason it didn't do too well is because Nintendo doesn't know what type of games more "hardcore" gamers want and didn't give the game a chance.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's not nice to see a company like Nintendo do so poorly with the Wii U. However, it'll be worth it if it leads to Platinum Games realizing making Bayonetta 2 a Wii U exclusive was indeed the most loving retarded decision in video-game history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

It's not nice to see a company like Nintendo do so poorly with the Wii U. However, it'll be worth it if it leads to Platinum Games realizing making Bayonetta 2 a Wii U exclusive was indeed the most loving retarded decision in video-game history.

Odd are pretty good that it was "Bayonetta 2 on Wii U" or "game does not get made" so...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Odd are pretty good that it was "Bayonetta 2 on Wii U" or "game does not get made" so...

I love Bayonetta but it ain't a system seller by any means.

What I'm worried is how it might affect Platinum if it does badly.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

"What we need is this Bubsy to be 3-D and to hell with the texturemaps, WE DON'T NEED EM!" Yeah Nintendo giving them the money to make a game they couldn't make otherwise was the worst idea in history. Those fiends!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alteisen posted:

I love Bayonetta but it ain't a system seller by any means.

What I'm worried is how it might affect Platinum if it does badly.

Probably not too badly. They have other projects lined up and I have a feeling Nintendo is bankrolling most of the development to minimize risk for Platinum.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
So what's the next box and ps4 going to do differently that this time next year they arent going to be in the same position as the wii u right now?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Keep in mind Metal Gear Rising was one of Konami's most successful games of the fiscal year (though to be fair they did pretty badly overall), I don't think Platinum is in any real danger here.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
^^^ Bah, quick draw posting!

Remember they just released Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance a few months ago, which sold more copies than any of their other games.

Having almost all the game paid for by Nintendo means they really don't have any skin in the game other than their personal brand.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Joink posted:

So what's the next box and ps4 going to do differently that this time next year they arent going to be in the same position as the wii u right now?

Who knows. Maybe graphical horsepower will be enough, or maybe it won't and they'll flounder too. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Graphical horsepower, actually getting third party games, non-retarded marketing, new features that people actually care about.

e: Oh yeah, and no confusion about whether they're accessories for the previous consoles.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 17, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Joink posted:

X86 archetecture, for starters. All the middleware engines already supported. And most third party developers using those engines. All Wii U is going to end up supporting is Unity, which means the majority of its library is going to be either games funded by Kickstarter or iOS ports. In fact, Nintendo was at GDC trying to pitch easy conversion tools for iOS developers to get their games on the U.

e: I should say that it does support UE3, so it will get some of the games that don't use the next iteration, which you figure is a number that's going to shrink more and more.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 17, 2013

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
the wii u is nintendos ouya

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

f1av0r posted:

the wii u is nintendos ouya

We've actually seen photos of the WiiU special editions. They don't have metal detectors in glorious Japan, the most free nation of the realm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Graphical horsepower, actually getting third party games, non-retarded marketing, new features that people actually care about.

e: Oh yeah, and no confusion about whether they're accessories for the previous consoles.

Woah, woah now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Sony and Microsoft both have made plenty of loving dumb marketing decisions and introduced features that have bombed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Even to someone who pays as much attention to games that I do, I also initially thought the WiiU was a repackaged Wii with a new kind of controller. When I first found out it wasn't I was somewhat interested...and then I learned it had roughly the same performance as current gen stuff, but with the disadvantage of being region locked and other Nintendo-brand annoyances.

I would love it if Nintendo got out of the hardware biz like Sega did. They haven't done anything I have particularly liked hardware-wise since the GBA, if not before, but I do occasionally want to play their games.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

ImpAtom posted:

Woah, woah now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Sony and Microsoft both have made plenty of loving dumb marketing decisions and introduced features that have bombed.

They have, but Sony has recently hired a competent marketing firm and in theory integrated streaming and video sharing is a great feature.

No idea what Microsoft is gonna do though. It's very possible they do something completely looney.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"Five Ninety-Nine US Dollars!"

Never make the mistake of thinking that Sony and MS won't completely blunder the marketing.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That's an excellent write-up. I'd be curious to hear from people who don't own a Wii U and aren't interested in one, and why. And whether they'd ever be interested.

Old post, but my opinion: The same problems coming around again like they had with the GameCube. Motion controls suck for the most part, the kiddie games, lackluster graphics, even for a system that's more powerful that the 360, and there are just no killer games on the console. The age of trying to sell games to kids is gone. The meat of the gaming fanbase is teens now. The kids that liked Nintendo grew up, but Nintendo stayed the same for too long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowbear posted:

They have, but Sony has recently hired a competent marketing firm and in theory integrated streaming and video sharing is a great feature.

No idea what Microsoft is gonna do though. It's very possible they do something completely looney.

I'll believe it from Sony after I see a good E3 press conference from them. I like a fair number of the PS4's announced features but I actually use a fair amount of the WiiU's features too on the rare occasion I boot it up. They're going to need more than just that to really make it work and they've got a lot to prove.

Same for the 360 successor too. There's a lot of stuff I would theoretically have loved on the 360 which them bungled hard. I really want to see some actual proof before I believe it.

Cameron posted:

Old post, but my opinion: The same problems coming around again like they had with the GameCube. Motion controls suck for the most part, the kiddie games, lackluster graphics, even for a system that's more powerful that the 360, and there are just no killer games on the console. The age of trying to sell games to kids is gone. The meat of the gaming fanbase is teens now. The kids that liked Nintendo grew up, but Nintendo stayed the same for too long.

Nintendo games are pretty regularly among the highest selling games in any year they come out, so this is pretty demonstrably untrue. The gaming market is ridiculous diverse these days and a lot of the people who buy Nintendo games or other 'unlikely' huge sellers are a meaningful part of it.

In fact adult women actually represent a greater percentage of the gaming market than teenage boys. There is a reason Sony and Microsoft are also trying to change their demographics. Teens are a significant part of but by no means the 'meat' of the industry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You know I feel like Nintendo would have been better off releasing the Wii U this fall instead of last year.

• Locked thread