Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

CrashCat posted:

i think you're conflating system and games, nobody is talking about how much they love the gamepad and staring at that little screen for hours on end, or playing new games with the same lovely old wiimote, or collecting a hoard of NFC video game figurines

it just happens voice commands and the Kafkaesque policies of Microsoft are even worse

I genuinely like the Gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
youre a dumb motherfucker if you dont like the nintendo Gamepad

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I like the Gamepad concept but it seems rare to see anyone take advantage of it. Which is the general habit for all Nintendo's gimmicks, really. On the other hand they sure do love shoehorning horrible Kinect voice commands and gestures into Xbox games, so I guess the alternative isn't much better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The gamepad is nice (I've basically played Hyrule Warriors entirely on it) but I wouldn't cry if it didn't exist or anything and wouldn't buy it on its own.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
The WiiU is the perfect dad console.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

Welp, we're done here. There is nothing more to discuss.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod posted:

no, gently caress you, dad!!!!

Also Game & Wario Sketch is a great drunk party game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

CrashCat posted:

i think you're conflating system and games, nobody is talking about how much they love the gamepad and staring at that little screen for hours on end, or playing new games with the same lovely old wiimote, or collecting a hoard of NFC video game figurines

it just happens voice commands and the Kafkaesque policies of Microsoft are even worse

Are you saying you havent preordered your collection of Amiibos?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

CrashCat posted:

I like the Gamepad concept but it seems rare to see anyone take advantage of it. Which is the general habit for all Nintendo's gimmicks, really. On the other hand they sure do love shoehorning horrible Kinect voice commands and gestures into Xbox games, so I guess the alternative isn't much better.

That's fine though? Some games take great advantage of it and game's where it wouldn't have any place leave it out. Do you want it shoehorned into everything?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
My living room is next to my bedroom and gently caress if it isn't awesome to be able to play Wii U in bed on Sunday morning.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Once I get a Wii U my idiot brother can play his Forza and Battlefield or whatever the gently caress on the Xboner while I chill out with my clearly superior anime Zelda game which is way cooler and totally not lame in the same room because I can play it on the gamepad so gamepad rules.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
also i heard the controller batteries last basically forever

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The thing about the gamepad is, unlike the wiimote if you don't use the gimmick it's still a perfectly fine, comfortable controller that serves the exact purpose a normal controller would.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

The thing about the gamepad is, unlike the wiimote if you don't use the gimmick it's still a perfectly fine, comfortable controller that serves the exact purpose a normal controller would.

I feel like it would be awesome for snapping over your knee when you lose at something.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Austrian mook posted:

That's fine though? Some games take great advantage of it and game's where it wouldn't have any place leave it out. Do you want it shoehorned into everything?
But then what's the point? I have to buy the world's most expensive controller to play on the least expensive, least powerful new console, and then it's not even really that useful? Why can't I buy a Wii U for $150 and jam with my old remotes and maybe pick up a pro pad eventually?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CrashCat posted:

But then what's the point? I have to buy the world's most expensive controller to play on the least expensive, least powerful new console, and then it's not even really that useful? Why can't I buy a Wii U for $150 and jam with my old remotes and maybe pick up a pro pad eventually?

because shigurosan wants you to blow on something to progress in mario

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The blowing thing is almost worth it for when we got to that part in 3D World and my girlfriend was like "What the gently caress are you doing" in a disgusted tone.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hey guys I made a new wiiu game that uses the wiiu pad to its full potential!

*gamepad screen is a map and/or inventory screen*

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

In Zelda you'll probably use it to draw a path for the boomerang before you throw it, like in the Phantom Hourglass (the worst Zelda game)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The weeoo owns

Wii want U 2 play

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

nobody likes you

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Wheany posted:

In Zelda you'll probably use it to draw a path for the boomerang before you throw it, like in the Phantom Hourglass (the worst Zelda game)

I thought the worst one was the infant's train simulator one? Or the waggle one where I turned it off in disgust literally seconds after leaving the first house?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Wheany posted:

Phantom Hourglass was awesome, I beat it and it was very satisfying

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Phantom Hourglass sounds cool. Not the game, just the title. It sounds like an album my band would put out (I play bass)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you are a left handed mutant like me, Phantom Hourglass was near unplayable.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you are a left handed mutant like me, Phantom Hourglass was near unplayable.

i'm left handed, i finished the whole game and never even got stuck

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I found the controls to be really loving bad.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Excels posted:

Sorry about your genetic deficiency

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I found the controls to be really loving bad.
I've found that people who dislike the controls in Phantom Hourglass generally try and play it like any other Zelda, i.e. as an action-adventure game. Those who just made peace with the fact that it's more of a point-and-click style adventure game early on usually get along with them just fine.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Phantom Hourglass got mostly 9s from vidcon journals which makes me think a lot of... ahem... "rupees" changed hands :D

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Excels posted:

Phantom Hourglass was awesome, I beat it and it was very satisfying

It was better than i expected after I learned it didn't have traditional controls (after starting the game), but it was still the worst Zelda. Didn't buy spirit tracks because I disliked the Phantom Hourglass so much.

I beat it, but it was definitely not "awesome"

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If you legitimately don't enjoy or like the Wii U and aren't just being a weak troll your brain is loving broken.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Excels posted:

why aren't you the president or a mlb pitcher like all the other southpaws?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

why aren't you the president or a mlb pitcher like all the other southpaws?

my parents didn't raise me properly, mainly

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Widestancer posted:

If you legitimately don't enjoy or like the Wii U and aren't just being a weak troll your brain is loving broken.

night slime
May 14, 2014

a Loving Dog posted:

Furthermore, Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
is there any charts showing how many DLC sales have been made for mario kart???

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
We don't do that anymore, this thread is for posting Amiibos now.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Widestancer posted:

I love the Wii U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

We don't do that anymore, this thread is for posting Amiibos now.

Amiibos everywhere. Fighting robots.

• Locked thread