Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Temascos posted:

They wouldn't even have to do ultra-massive budget projects, just try some risky formula for Nintendo (Say a Dark Souls type game for instance), target a small audience and experiment. Nobody truly has any idea what IPs will take off and become ultra-big successes and what will fall behind, even if it ticks all the points. I hope this doesn't sound like a "NINTENDO DOESN'T MAKE NEW STUFF" argument, as they truly have tried it before but there's only one way to find out if an idea works.
They make these kinds of games all the time, problem is they're all on the 3DS. IntSys has spent the last couple years making quirky puzzles games that ended up being massive hits, the eshop is full of clever little things like Sakura Samurai and Rolling Western, and Kid Icarus Uprising is probably one of the greatest games of all time. There is just a ton of console-quality 3DS stuff that really probably should have been Wii U games if Nintendo wanted the thing to succeed. Hell even in their core franchises, the 3DS gets the absolutely amazing Super Mario 3D Land and then they just poo poo out yet another derivative New Super Mario on the Wii U.

Forget Sony and Microsoft, the 3DS is the Wii U's biggest competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Throwdini posted:

Edit: This stupid company thinks Pikmin is going to sell consoles!
It will. To me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hopefully its better than this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GSt9n_UPa8

(I don't think this actually aired on TV)
I like how they wrote upgrading in a bold font and contrasting color. It really says a lot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

RAM's not as important as it used to be, modern games almost all do resource stream-ins and if the game can drop and reload assets effectively, then a large working set is a lot less useful. I have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with that OS if they reserved 1GB for it though.
The PS4 also reserves 1GB for the OS, and all the rumors about the next Xbox are that it will reserve at least that much. Of course, they have an assload more RAM than the Wii U also. System software is the most important part of consoles nowadays, and that makes RAM incredibly loving vital. Especially in a unified environment like that cool dude above me pointed out.

For Nintendo specifically though, its probably just an overcompensation. The DS and the Wii had no appreciable OS and it became kind of a pain in the rear end for them in the end. The 3DS dedicates half of its memory map and 1 of its 2 cores to the OS, just like the Wii U.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Iwata was just appointed CEO of NoA in the past few weeks, so that stuff is changing at least. Whether or not the American branch acting even more Japanese is a good thing, who the gently caress knows. At least now maybe they'll be dumb in a consistent way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its Ubisoft, you know they're going to have a pile of flawed but endearing PS4/Xbox launch titles to hock during their conference. No matter what Nintendo would do they'd get gently caress all E3 traction this year.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

What press are you referring to? I remember a whole ton of bad PR in regards to them not even bothering to show the console itself.
Who really expected them to do that other than message board idiots? Gotta save something for E3, son.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NSMB sells because its so derivative. Nintendo makes some pretty awesome original Mario games, but they sell a fraction of what those things do. Its pretty depressing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It honestly never bothered me much, I think the splotchy watercolor look gave everything enough weird hard edges that it takes your mind off the artifacts. A lot of their Wii games seemed to take hardware limitations into their art styles, Galaxy was the same way. Probably why all those games look so awesome freed of those limitations in Dolphin, too. Third party poo poo doesn't scale nearly as nicely.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mulefisk posted:

Any one which uses save games? Most NES games didn't have the ability to save. If they did it was built into the cartridge. That should be an obvious indicator that the system was a bit limited.
You mean exactly like the SNES? :confused:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

This conversation about your favorite anime games sure is about Nintendo being unable to put out console that stands up to modern standards, or advertise it in an clear manner as not to cause brand confustion.
Maybe Goku could sell Wii Us?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sir John Feelgood posted:

If they dropped out of the home console market, they would just focus everything they have on handhelds.
Hell, that's kinda what they're doing right now, while still supposedly being in the home console market.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I am Reverend posted:

Really, I just think the one thing Bethesda does well is create interesting overworlds, and Zelda is at its weakest when you're walking through some boring-rear end, lifeless hub. But the only Zelda games I really liked were Oracle of Seasons and Majora's Mask, so maybe I'm wrong.
It'd be cool if they farmed it out to someone who can actually make interesting and lively overworlds, you're right. That's not Bethesda. Oblivion and Skyrim are as dead or deader than the 3D Zeldas.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They say its all about Nintendo refusing to give Amazon a lower wholesaler rate, and then Amazon publicly stirring up a bunch of poo poo about the early model 3DS' screen scratching defect. They're both being big petulant babies for no good reason and they're both unlikely to change their minds any time soon.

Not that it really matters, cause Amazon still lists and stocks all the Nintendo products via third party sellers. I don't think it has any impact on the Wii U's current situation.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

WickedHate posted:

It sucks when you like something but you're like, the only person who's into it so it dies a quick death. Somewhere, the lone Game com fan needs a hug.
It had a really good version of Sinistar, okay?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm hear to eat bananas and slap some motherfuckers and i'm all outta bananas -Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zachack posted:

Real talk - if you have to buy a WiiU now the MK bundle is a garbage deal unless you literally can't find a used Wii controller for $5. Just buy the Skylanders bundle from Best Buy for $250 and get MK from Amazon for $50.
And then buy a usb hard drive cause you ain't downloading poo poo to your poorhouse white wii u. Nice job idiot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Nice av, what's it from
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I'm a big Nintendo fan.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grand Theft Auto kids bring guns to school to shoot the Nintendo kids. That's why the Wii U wasn't selling.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Iwata should also never do a Nintendo Direct again, ever. At least for the US, just let Reggie do them.
I'm sorry you can't understand mildly accented english.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anime Device posted:

Nothing but positive reactions from this years E3, from Nintendo. The others? well, errr, um....
Yeah but that was before everyone realized WWE 2k15 was not coming to the Wii U.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

What amiibos are you guys looking forward to?
I'm going to buy like a dozen wii fit trainers and make them fight each other.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hatsune Miku is really good and cool and Nintendo should bring her 3DS game to America if they want to stay in business.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just another night hanging with the gf, slouched over our respective computers pwning noobs in Azeroth.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yaoi Mandel posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about
Superior Western Video Games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

I can't tell if you are all being sarcastic or not. Are any of you guys seriously going to buy Amiibos?
H*ck yes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wii Fit Trainer is long and thin and ready to finger your pee hole.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I'm going to make them kiss
Nintendo does NOT support this kind of amiibo play and it will void your warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

I am a Gamer.
Same, my friend, same.

• Locked thread