Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

Serious question, it's going to sound like I'm just needlessly making GBS threads on the Wii U but; if sells remain poor for it will there be a chance that Bayonetta 2 won't remain a Wii U exclusive? I was slightly disappointed when I found that out.

Considering it's been confirmed that Nintendo are at least partially bankrolling the actual creation of the game? Incredibly unlikely to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Why would they be loving stupid enough to do that?

"Ah, yes, let's let our poorly selling home console with no games languish until it's almost time for both Microsoft and Sony to launch their brand new consoles. This is thing that we should do."

I remember reading something about Nintendo wanting to try a "re-launch" marketing blitz or whatever, damned if I can find the article now though.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Space Racist posted:

Nintendo isn't selling Wii U at a loss, though, they're specifically trying to make money on the system itself. That's not factoring in unsanctioned price cuts by UK retailers, but Nintendo isn't playing the same game as Sony and MS on console pricing.

They are, actually, and have admitted it a couple times now. Reggie initially said it only took one game purchase for them to be in the green, but I think that was busted a while back on that and the loss is more than that in reality.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Space Racist posted:

Really? I could've sworn I'd read that they still weren't taking a loss on the Wii U. Not to say I think you're incorrect, but do you have a source link? I tried (briefly) to find one before posting but my Googling just turned up a bunch of retailer sites.

Went looking and I can't find anything really recent, but here's a statement from a bit before the launch from one of their financial briefings.

Here's the relevant bit:

Nintendo's briefing posted:

During the second quarter of this fiscal term, we have successfully eliminated the situation that we sell the Nintendo 3DS hardware below cost, which was the main reason our corporate profits fell in the last term. However, as we are in the phase of concentrating our development resources on software for the Nintendo 3DS system, which is still in an earlier stage of penetration than that of Nintendo DS, and as we have not yet launched the Wii U system, it is difficult to increase the total sales of software, which is generally profitable. In addition to the yen’s continuous appreciation, the Wii U hardware will have a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits early after the launch because rather than determining a price based on its manufacturing cost, we selected one that consumers would consider to be reasonable. In this first half of the term before the launch of the Wii U, we were not able to make a profit on software for the system while we had to book a loss on the hardware, which is currently in production and will be sold below cost.

edit: whoops, beaten!

• Locked thread