Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Neo Rasa posted:

We get a lot of vague statements (from myself also I'm not innocent) about Nintendo's financial state.
Are you trying to say the financials they're filing with governing bodies are a lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Neo Rasa posted:

Not at all, just many people including myself will make sweeping statements like "Nintendo is doing okay right now" or whatever because we're just looking at "3DS do great, Wii U do bad" and making a generalization about how much money they have to spare.

I'm still not getting your point since these aren't just completely unknown.

I have a Wii U, and it was definitely rushed. With the next patch that should fix usability, and a couple of good games I can see it reviving. I'm not a huge gamer though, and couldn't even begin to care about social gaming.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

It's probably because you've laser focused yourself on this one sentence instead of my entire post. My point is that if they could afford to wait a few months and not release a rushed system with no games of their own to put on it they probably should have. They either couldn't due to anxious shareholders or because they're incompetent and didn't learn anything from their past decades in the business and other company's failures. Either their shareholders have no financial confidence in them or they're stupid.

I lasered on your first two sentences, which were the crux of your theory that maybe Nintendo is doing poorly as if it's some mystery.

What are the prices looking like for the PS4 and Xbox? Is online only play still being contemplated by microsoft?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Was this when it launched at five-hundred ninety-nine U.S. dollars? Because if so, he was absolutely right. Where Sony took that system from a horrendous launch is very impressive.

People were laughing at Michael Dell for his Apple comment last year even though at the time he was 100% right.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Revol posted:

What comment was that? I think Michael Dell lost all ability to make comments on Apple when he said that they should close up shop and liquidate back in 1997.

Exactly that one. Apple was loving terrible back in 97.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Revol posted:

Oh, I got confused. I read that as "Dell made a comment last year. Everybody laughed about it. But he was right." I thought he had new insight on Apple, and my argument was his 1997 comments invalidate any opinion he now has on Apple. It doesn't matter how right he was back in 1997. It matters how insanely, incredibly wrong he would have been considering where Apple is now.

Well no poo poo it's easy to see how things turned out and say that. Things change. When he originally said it, Apple was 2 months away from bankruptcy and had to be bailed out by Microsoft.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Revol posted:

And it was easy for Michael Dell to say it's time to give up on Apple. But Steve Jobs had a vision, which is something that Dell never has had.

You clearly don't remember what started this. Someone brought up what Newell said about PS3, which was probably accurate at the time.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I just can't see any reason to want this system right now.

Good thing the world isn't ending tomorrow.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

So far we have the WiiU Deluxe selling at a loss at $350, when the Xbox One has a 500gb drive, 8gb of ram, and a kinect. The PS4 is supposedly going to be equally beefy. Are they really going to be able to keep both of those under $400?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

We already know that a lot of Wii U owners don't care about online or achievements, because they can't help themselves from posting about how much they don't care about online or achievements. You know who does care about them? People who haven't bought the console and might never buy the console, which is the focus of this thread.

You can't say that along with saying that nobody knows it's a different console, that they aren't buying it because it doesn't have any games, and the multitude of other reasons that have been talked about in this thread.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

You have the nunchuck, wii mote, and the classic controller. I can kind of see what he's saying, but honestly I don't really get the "it's too expensive" part (people were saying this before the PS4 and XBone prices were released). $350 isn't just some absurd amount for most people, certainly isn't the $600 PS3 or whatever it released at.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Midee posted:

You do understand the meaning of value, right? $350 for a modern system would be great, but $350 for obsolete hardware with a Fisher-Price tablet is loving ridiculous.

Anyone buying the Wii U is buying it for Nintendo games, which is where the value is.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Sir John Feelgood posted:

And it's slim pickings right now.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3

True, but some people have enough foresight to see that the games will come out sometime in the future.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Midee posted:

Nintendo games are nice but they aren't valuable enough for most people to drop $350 on. $250, and you'd have a point.

How many people do you think bought PS3/Xbox just for Halo, Madden, and one of the various FPSs?

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I have the same foresight, but I'm waiting to buy until those games arrive. I plan to buy a Wii U at the end of the year.
So when the games come out would you say it's overpriced if it's still $350?

Harry fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 11, 2013

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

How much does the Japan market really matter though? It seems like unless it's a 3DS it doesn't really matter and that's how it's been for a while from what I remember.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

While we bought it on Nintendo promises and a price cut, right now we regret buying a Wii U.

No poo poo, you bought a console while actively knowing you don't like any of the games out for it.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

univbee posted:

How well the Wii U pad communicates seems to vary wildly. Mine works OK from my bedroom which is on the other side of my living room wall, and I can go most of the way down the hall so it works from just outside my bathroom (maybe about 25 feet plus a corner away from the Wii U itself), but it will stop working if I actually go into the bathroom, so my dreams of playing a next-gen console on the toilet will have to wait. :sigh: There is nothing electronic between the Wii U and anywhere I would use the gamepad.

That doesn't seem to vary wildly at all unless your bedroom is 30 ft away.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Do people really think any of those games beside maybe Pokemon wouldn't blow rear end on a smart phone? I tried playing chrono trigger on my iphone and the controls were terrible. I couldn't imagine playing Mario.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Testekill posted:

How is the console looking at the moment? I'm thinking of grabbing one early next year and there are a few games that I want to get the console for.

I enjoy it. I've liked wind waker, looking forward to the Mario game coming out today, and the Wii Sports games. I never had a Wii or a Gamecube though and a game a month is a lot for me so keep that in mind.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wii-U games are also 60 dollars which is way too much when you have comparable games also coming out for 60 bucks.

I've got well over 100 games for the gamecube and well over 100 games for the Wii, none of them ran 50 bucks when I got them, let alone 60. Even going back to my N64 and SNES collections none of them ran 50 or 60.

NES I don't remember, but if you were to get the first party titles now they wouldn't be worth all that much either.

If the Wii-U became the cheap system with cheap games that would help turn poo poo around probably. Outside of Monster Hunter I've yet to play a game on the system that felt like it justified the 60 dollar price tag.

Super Mario RPG was like $90, and pretty every N64 game was $60 or more.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

They'd be better off just designing a whole new system than dropping the gamepad. That's assuming it's even possible.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Nintendo is literally relying on selling consoles via nostalgic idiots willing to spend hundreds of dollars to play their games.

Maybe they're just not poor and can afford it?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

You know drat good and well DKC:TF is going to have something stupid and jarring like having to tap the gamepad to open a door, or some boring minigame or something else. It's going to goddamn happen, because Nintendo ain't going to let this albatross of a peripheral go unused. It's every bit as bad as Wiimote waggle and pointing.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo's next big REVOLUTIONARY device is going to be a Kinect-like camera, and all games are going to be required to use it and you're going to have to make idiot Mario noises to play a game. Scream "IT'S A ME" to start the game. Do the Mario to select your character. Awkwardly point towards a coin to pick it up. Fart to post to the MiiVerse.

It' astonishing how bitter you are about the gamepad. Sell your WiiU and move on with life if having to blow at your gamepad in like one level of Mario really hurt you so badly.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

If anything, Nintendo has messed up marketing most. I brought my Wii U to a Christmas party and several Wii owners had never heard of it. The good news for Nintendo is that people wanted one after playing it.

What they messed up most was releasing an unfinished product. A massive marketing campaign for the past year would have just highlighted how terrible it was up until like April with the first patch that significantly sped things up and then making it an acceptable system with that patch in July (or something like that). I think there's a chance of the Wii U coming back, but if it had gotten more publicity back in January it would be completely DOA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Why release this five days prior to Christmas? It's something that needed to happen, but I'm not sure why they couldn't have released this a month ago prior to Black Friday.

Supposedly this weekend is when everyone does their christmas shopping anyway.

• Locked thread