Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just don't see what point the Wii U has in the current market.

It's a 7.5 generation console coming out at a time when consumers have already been fully saturated in what the 7th generation has to offer and is starting to dry up. It will be lucky to get the third party PS3/360 ports (I say lucky because of EA already feeling tentative in their support) that still exist within the next 2 years or so before they are eventually phased out. It will once again be a Nintendo console driven by it's first party software. To me that would make it the third console in a row, Gamecube/Wii/WiiU with substandard third party support.

I think Nintendo would've been better set to just continue riding the Wii out and coming out with something that could essentially stand up with the PS4/new Xbox. Although, I don't have much faith in the market strength of 8th generation of consoles since it seems like every new product launch: 3DS/Vita/WiiU has been met with substandard sales. The 3DS didn't start to do better until a price drop and hardware revision and it's likely the Vita won't bounce back until a price drop with that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The cost to develop for an actual home console is getting more and more astronomical these days. It's no surprise that the handheld market still has a wide variety of genres and games that may not be represented on home consoles because of the sheer cost of development. Not to mention a lot of the great games coming out of the East are on handheld systems because that's what sells over there.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The price point is going to be pretty crucial. I don't think that a new console can afford to go over $400 with the market over saturated of tablets/other devices that are starting to supplant traditional console gaming around a similar price.

Not to mention they're going to be using off the shelf PC parts most likely offered at a subsidized price to get the install rate up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You wouldn't even need a full blown MMO, but a natural progression of the 3DS Pokemon online features could be to have lobbies like the friend safari where multiple players can just catch Pokemon or trade/battle anyone else in that particular lobby without needing friend codes and junk like that.

It makes sense in my head.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm kind of shocked they haven't made a Pokemon Stadium/Revolution for the WiiU yet for X/Y and B/W.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You know those Nintendo games you're looking forward to? Well, they're still coming!

Goodnight.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: They were even willing to talk about a 3DS game for 2015, but not Wii U. They're literally struggling to release 2 major games for Wii U this fiscal year. Their plan seems to be cut the cord, cut the cord, cut the cord, abandon ship.
Donkey Kong/Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta/Smash Bros?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Retro is a Nintendo studio

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

icantfindaname posted:

The Bone will probably come in a respectable second out of inertia and possibly some good exclusives, similar to the N64 in America vs the PS1. the Xbox Two will probably be in trouble, but that's in ten years so who knows
Xbone is most likely getting a $400 sku without kinect that will help sales, Nintendo has

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I bought a Dreamcast for Phantasy Star Online because it offered a "unique" gameplay experience at the time, and that's the only time I ever felt prey to a system seller/killer app/buzzword

Nowadays, you just buy the system all your friends have or whatever one has the features you want since first party games are pretty inconsequential. Unfortunately for Nintendo, that's all they have

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

icantfindaname posted:

I like how nobody considers the idea of Nintendo actually getting third party support as even a remote possibility. There is nothing they can do to make the WiiU not a money-haemorrhaging failure by themselves, it's just not possible to make enough first party software to do that. Their best option is to just drop the console. Either they compete with MS and Sony or they pull out of the console market, those seem to be the only possibilities.
In order to get third party support they need to release a new console with similar architecture to Xbone/Ps4/PC so that ports are easy to make, that's pretty much the nuclear option/too far away to consider

They have to ride the WiiU out for another year or two probably before releasing something new. I think they bet on the idea that people weren't ready for a true 'next gen' console and just made an incremental upgrade like the Wii was to the PS2 age, but that didn't work out this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How long before NFC figures go the way of Guitar Hero peripherals and games?

• Locked thread