Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

:siren: :siren: YES IT IS WAY WAY BETTER THAN ASSASSIN'S CREED 3 :siren: :siren:

Download the AC4 companion app here.

Release Date(s):

: October 29th (NA) October 31st (AU) November 1st (EU) November 22nd (EU WiiU) November 28 (JP)
: November 15th (PS4 NA) November 19th (PC NA) November 22nd (PS4 EU, XBone, PC EU)

:siren: Steam group for PC Multiplayer here :siren:
Skipping intro movies (PC)
Google Doc of UPlay usernames for multiplayer (PC) (thanks Shockeh)

Reviews:

Current gen:

SA Goons (average): Best Assassin's Creed yet and an amazing pirate game
Eurogamer: 9/10
GameTrailers: 9.2/10
GamesRadar: 4.5/5
Gamespot: 9/10

Next-gen:

EGM: 9.5/10 (PS4)

Overview:

The game uses Ubisoft's AnvilNext engine, already featured in Assassin's Creed III. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game feature improved graphics, loading times and other next-gen trickery. The game was in development since mid-2011 alongside Assassin's Creed III. Despite having a subtitle, Black Flag is a fully fledged sequel and was given both a number and a subtitle due to being "a significantly different experience" to Assassin's Creed III. The open world itself features no loading times, but due to their size and complexity, the game loads each time you enter one of the main cities.

Playstation 3 and 4 versions of the game have a free 60 minute DLC where you play as Aveline from Assassin's Creed III: Liberation. The PlayStation 4 version of the game also supports remote play on the PlayStation Vita.

Plot:

The game takes place in the early 18th century, around 1715 during the golden age of piracy on the Caribbean. You play as Edward Kenway, a British Welsh Assassin and pirate, and grandfather of Ratonhnhaké:ton and father of Haytham Kenway. As is usually the case with Assassin's Creed, the story features numerous real-life individuals of the era, including Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, Benjamin Hornigold, Anne Bonny, Jack Rackham and Charles Vane.

Unfortunately the modern-day storyline is still around, as much as Ubisoft's marketing for the games has tried to hide it for the past few years. This time you'll be playing as "yourself", working for Abstergo Entertainment with the task of exploring Desmond's genetic memories now that they've been uploaded to "the cloud" or whatever seriously who cares. On the plus side, the modern day story of AC4 is largely "optional" this time around and can be skipped pretty much entirely if you want to only play Badass Pirate Simulator and skip Bland Corporate Conspiracy Nonsense Bonanza.

Gameplay:

Wikipedia posted:

The game features three main cities; Havana, Kingston, and Nassau, which reside under Spanish, English and pirate influence, respectively. The game also features 50 locations to explore, with a 60/40 balance between land and naval exploration. Assassin's Creed IV has a more open world feel, with missions similar to those found in Assassin's Creed, as well as fewer restrictions for the player. The world opens up sooner in the game, as opposed to Assassin's Creed III, which had very scripted missions and did not give players freedom to explore until the game was well into its first act. The player encounters jungles, forts, ruins and small villages and the world is built to allow players much more freedom, such as allowing players to engage, board, and capture passing ships and swimming to nearby beaches in a seamless fashion. In addition, the hunting system has been retained from Assassin's Creed III, allowing the player to hunt on land, and harpoon in the water. The game will also take many aspects from Ubisoft's popular 2012 game, Far Cry 3, such as equipment crafting and enemy marking.

A new aspect in the game is the ship the player will captain, Jackdaw. The Jackdaw will be upgradeable throughout the game, as well as having easy access to the ship when needed. In addition, a new underwater component is being added. The player will also have access to a spyglass, allowing the examination of distant ships, along with their cargo and strength. It can also help determine if an island still has animals to hunt, treasures to find or high points to reach for synchronization. An updated form of the recruit system introduced in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood will also return.

Multiplayer has also returned, with new settings and game modes, though it is only land-based.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag's soundtrack was composed by Brian Tyler, known for scoring such films as The Expendables trilogy, Iron Man 3 and Ubisoft's Far Cry 3.

DLC

The AC4 Season Pass will give you all DLC content, the only one so far confirmed being Freedom Cry, which has "3+ hours" of gameplay as Edward Kenway's first mate, Adewale. It will also include "new missions, new weapons and new multiplayer characters" and the exclusive "Kraken Ship Pack". Freedom Cry is a sequel, telling the story of Adewale, his ship, the Experdo Crede, and how he takes the Caribbean slave trade down a peg or twenty. It will be released on December 17th for all platforms (PC and WiiU not yet announced). Buying the season pass for the PS3 or 360 version of the game carries over if you upgrade your game to a next-gen version before March 29th, 2014.

Trailers and videos:

Freedom Cry DLC Release Trailer
Launch trailer
IGN's Making of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
Edward Kenway story trailer
"Freedom Cry", Adewale DLC trailer
Aveline trailer
Narrated Activities and Locations video
Narrated fort attack gameplay video
Gamescom '13 trailer
Narrated underwater/assassination gameplay video
13 Minutes of Narrated Caribbean Open World Gameplay
A Pirate's Life on High Seas trailer
Narrated Jackdaw gameplay video
Narrated version of the E3 5 minute gameplay demo
E3 2013 Official 5 minute gameplay demo
E3 2013 Horizon (gameplay) trailer
E3 2013 Cinematic Trailer
"Under the Black Flag" trailer
The Developers talk AC4 on the PS4
"True Golden Age of Pirates" trailer
World Gameplay Premiere trailer
Premiere trailer

Screenshots:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
It looks like Blackbeard is on your side, secret assassin? We may enjoy learning beard on fire techniques from him. For real though, this is the kind of thing that makes me crave a PS3.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

December Octopodes posted:

It looks like Blackbeard is on your side, secret assassin? We may enjoy learning beard on fire techniques from him. For real though, this is the kind of thing that makes me crave a PS3.
I'd guess there'll also be some internal rivalries and such on the pirate side of things, meaning you'll have to track them down on the open sea, scope them with your spyglass, pepper them with cannonballs, board them and stab the hell out of them. :yarr:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yar har fiddle dee dee

I heard this one was made by Ubisoft's A-team rather than the ones who did rear end Creed 3? I might get it then.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
I'm looking forward to this game, many folks didn't enjoy it but I did enjoy AC3 quite a bit. Especially the naval missions aspect.

Below are some of the pre-order bonus that are available since they were not listed in the OP:

quote:

Gamestop
Deadly Black Ship, Captain Morgan's Costume, Captain Morgan's Gun and Black Island Treasure Hunting Mission

quote:

Amazon
The Hidden Mystery Pack, which includes: the adventurous treasure-hunting mission: Mystery Island , Stede Bonnet's ship, and outfit.

quote:

BestBuy
The Lost Treasures Pack, which features the Ivory Wheel, Spyglass Relic and other items to help you customize your ship and enhance your multiplayer experience.

quote:

Target
Trove of Mystery Pack, which has an Iron Whee, Astrolab Relic, Cartographer Title and picture and exclusive items to customize your ship and enhance the multiplayer experience.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cheers for that.

Here are some of the special editions available:

Special Edition:

Skull Edition:

Buccaneer Edition:

And the Black Chest Edition:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also here's the world map that was leaked a while ago!

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Also here's the world map that was leaked a while ago!

Has anything been mentioned about Haïti (the bottom right of that map), I'm always more excited about playing AC in cities i've actually been to.

Although obviously unlike Florence it will be nothing like it was when I was there, but still.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Has anything been mentioned about Haïti (the bottom right of that map), I'm always more excited about playing AC in cities i've actually been to.

Although obviously unlike Florence it will be nothing like it was when I was there, but still.
Nothing as of yet, though I wouldn't necessarily count on it as the whole area isn't on the map. It could come out as DLC later on, though.

E: Somehow missed this, but apparently PETA got somewhat miffed about the whaling aspect of the game. :laugh:

Ubisoft posted:

"History is our playground in Assassin's Creed. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a work of fiction that depicts the real events during the Golden Era of Pirates. We do not condone illegal whaling, just as we don't condone a pirate lifestyle of poor hygiene, plundering, hijacking ships, and over the legal limit drunken debauchery."

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 5, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not to double post, but they just posted a pretty interesting thing regarding Kenway's ship, the Jackdaw, and about the economy in AC4. Seems like they're learning lessons and say that it'll be largely focused on upgrading your ship which is truly meant to be a companion if not a second main character in the game (the comparison to the U.S.S. Enterprise coming to play here). On top of upgrades like weaponry and such, you get to recruit your own crew. Getting upgrades ties to the economy system but is meant to be "simpler but deeper" than in AC3 and much less of a clusterfuck, to paraphrase.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yar har fiddle dee dee

I heard this one was made by Ubisoft's A-team rather than the ones who did rear end Creed 3? I might get it then.

It was Ubi's "A-team" that did AC3 with more time, effort, and budget than they'd ever had before. At least that was the story they gave us.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013
Super excited for this game release. Anyone planning to get the top tier pack for this? The one with the statue.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Stare-Out posted:

Cheers for that.

Here are some of the special editions available:

Special Edition:

Skull Edition:

Buccaneer Edition:

You know. I really wish more companies would release a digital only deluxe version where you have all the preorder missions and poo poo included for an added price. I don't want all the extra fluff poo poo in the Black Chest Edition, but I do want all the in-game content I can get my hands on and I don't wanna wait until a month has passed for them to offer it up as a 3-5 dollar DLC. Is this really too much to ask for?

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

Stare-Out posted:

I'm a huge sucker for spending my money on crap, so I updated my pre-order at GameStop to the Black Chest Edition. Another box of stuff for my wife to complain about.

At least their will be quite a lot of in-game content in this special edition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Europe always gets so many choices.

Here it's still just the regular version.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I completely despise in-game preorder bonus content, especially when it's tied to a specific outlet. Soundtracks, posters and miniature models are great special edition contents but I'm buying the game regardless and that shouldn't lock me out of in-game content. Giving different outlets exclusive content is such a dick move because the consumer loses out in any case unless they buy a copy from every store.

If it comes out as DLC a couple of months down the line it's not too bad I guess.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Not a huge fan of Assassin't Creed, even though I've played most of them. But I am a huge fan of Uncharted Waters: New Horizons!

So how much of a sailing, shipping, surviving storms and scurvy simulator will this be?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Not a huge fan of Assassin't Creed, even though I've played most of them. But I am a huge fan of Uncharted Waters: New Horizons!

So how much of a sailing, shipping, surviving storms and scurvy simulator will this be?

About 40%, apparently.

Stare-Out posted:

I completely despise in-game preorder bonus content, especially when it's tied to a specific outlet. Soundtracks, posters and miniature models are great special edition contents but I'm buying the game regardless and that shouldn't lock me out of in-game content. Giving different outlets exclusive content is such a dick move because the consumer loses out in any case unless they buy a copy from every store.

If it comes out as DLC a couple of months down the line it's not too bad I guess.

Ubisoft always releases their preorder content for AC in a bundle after a couple of months.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Very, going by pretty much every piece of information they've released. From all accounts you have complete free reign of the oceans with your ship which you can upgrade and crew as you like, with dynamic weather like AC3 had and dynamic encounters with enemy ships. You can use your spyglass to suss out what cargo a ship is carrying, its combat potency and other such info, then attack it, board it, fight the folks on it and claim its booty as your own. :yarr:

Aphrodite posted:

Ubisoft always releases their preorder content for AC in a bundle after a couple of months.
Yeah, that's what I thought. There was one preorder tomb they released for AC:R a while after the game launched but it was bundled with a pretty pricey multiplayer pack instead of getting a separate download which sucked.

Wait, what preorder singleplayer stuff did AC3 have? I don't recall seeing any tombs or such for it on the PSN store.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 7, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

Wait, what preorder singleplayer stuff did AC3 have? I don't recall seeing any tombs or such for it on the PSN store.

There were two naval mission sets and some extra weapons/costumes. It was released together in a single DLC pack for fairly cheap (and included in the season pass iirc.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the Mayan temple.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Huh, the Hidden Secrets pack it's called. Been out since December and I had no idea. :v: Nice. $5 isn't a bad deal for it. It doesn't have the season pass though so I'll just wait until the three Tyranny of King Washington DLC episodes are on sale or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The only part of AC3 I enjoyed was the naval stuff, since I've been wanting Sid Meier's Pirates from a deck/third-person view for what, a decade and a half now? So, all over this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They've mentioned Sid Meier's Pirates on a couple of occasions so they've probably taken some inspiration for that.

In other news, they've been keeping mysteriously quiet about who's scoring the game when asked. They're going to announce it eventually, but I'm a bit puzzled why they're keeping it a secret for now. There wasn't any of this when Lorne Balfe replaced Jesper Kyd for AC3. As much as I'd love to have Kyd back, I doubt that'll happen but it looks like Balfe won't be the sole composer this time around.

TombstoneTromboner
Dec 26, 2012

the original
I really don't have high hopes for this. ACIII was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. At least Brohood and AssRev had one of my favorite protagonists which is what made the games much more bearable for me, but the series just hasn't been the same since ACII. Dear god I loved the first and second games so much, but it's been a steady decline since Brohood and it saddens me to see a series I loved the first two entries of so much just go so downhill.

If this does somehow end up being good though, fantastic! I'm not expecting it to be though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Stare-Out posted:

They've mentioned Sid Meier's Pirates on a couple of occasions so they've probably taken some inspiration for that.

The dance minigame is in then? :)

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

TombstoneTromboner posted:

I really don't have high hopes for this. ACIII was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. At least Brohood and AssRev had one of my favorite protagonists which is what made the games much more bearable for me, but the series just hasn't been the same since ACII. Dear god I loved the first and second games so much, but it's been a steady decline since Brohood and it saddens me to see a series I loved the first two entries of so much just go so downhill.

If this does somehow end up being good though, fantastic! I'm not expecting it to be though.

I really think this has a lot of potential. The ship missions in ACIII were the best part of the game, they were just too short. I am really looking foreward to more sailing around shooting up other ships, adding ship boarding and exploration using your ship is just a bonus.

Where ACIII fell down for me were the boring main character, the bugs and the present day bullshit. If they fix the first two and go light on the present day stuff I will be happy.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Friendly Fire posted:

The ship missions in ACIII were the best part of the game

A lot of people said this but I think the praise for the AC3 ship missions is just a function of being different from the piece of poo poo main game. The ship missions were shallow and a whole game comprised of them will be very boring. I suppose it's possible Ubi could add a lot of depth to the ship parts and make them fun but after AC3 i wouldn't bet on it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I genuinely thought AC3 is great and thought the ship missions were a blast and would happily take an entire game based around them, especially one where the ship aspect is a part of the actual open world instead of only being a part of a specific set of missions.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

A lot of people said this but I think the praise for the AC3 ship missions is just a function of being different from the piece of poo poo main game. The ship missions were shallow and a whole game comprised of them will be very boring. I suppose it's possible Ubi could add a lot of depth to the ship parts and make them fun but after AC3 i wouldn't bet on it.

Like I said, potential.

But the ship missions were a lot of fun and I enjoyed just sailing the ship around the Islands that were in the missions. I do however agree, in their current state they would not make a whole game. What is there though is a great framework to build on, and according to the little information released that is exactly what they are doing. Whether or not Ubisoft can deliver an enjoyable game out of it is another matter, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't know why they feel so obligated to carry on with the Desmond stuff. If they just dumped that story and never mentioned it again I don't think anyone would give a poo poo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

I don't know why they feel so obligated to carry on with the Desmond stuff. If they just dumped that story and never mentioned it again I don't think anyone would give a poo poo.
I've gone on pretty long and specific tirades in previous threads about how just axing the entire Animus (Desmond and modern day plot included) from the series would do it nothing but good so I won't go into it here but instead just say that I totally agree.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

They aren't. Desmond is gone.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They aren't. Desmond is gone.
I think in this case he's referring to the entire modern day storyline, which somehow seems to be even dumber than before this time around.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I've gone on pretty long and specific tirades in previous threads about how just axing the entire Animus (Desmond and modern day plot included) from the series would do it nothing but good so I won't go into it here but instead just say that I totally agree.
I wasn't that bothered about it in the past until I played Revelations and they interrupted the final scene with Ezio and Altair with some Desmond stuff and realised that their adherence to it is beginning to actively drag down the rest of the game. Then 3 comes out and that game just seemed to take all of the worst bits of the previous games and amplify them to its detriment, which meant the modern day segments got even more annoying.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
I really didn't mind the present day stuff at first. It was a very minor part of the first game and I was pretty happy with that and it wasn't too intrusive until Revelations. I still had some small side quests to do in ACIII which normally I would finish off after the story, but after watching the ending it kind of killed any desire to go back.

I'm glad Desmond is gone and I hope whoever replaces him isn't boring as poo poo and doesn't take too much focus away from the historical parts.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Vita game did the exact same thing they did here, where you're "playing" a simulation of someone else's memories, basically. What it amounts to is they just keep the usual interface and occasionally you can find a hacked message from the Assassins. It's actually a pretty neat idea, since the memories are edited by Abstergo to make the Templars look like the good guys, but by finding objects and completing challenges, you can unlock the "real" memories. There's no present day stuff or new characters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the plot of this game had modern day stuff in it, some weird thing with an Abspergo agent researching for a video game? I don't know if that was ever confirmed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought the plot of this game had modern day stuff in it, some weird thing with an Abspergo agent researching for a video game? I don't know if that was ever confirmed.

The "plot" of the AC3s multiplayer was that everyone was playing a newly released VR game from Abstergo, but other than that I haven't heard anything about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Stare-Out posted:

Unfortunately the modern-day storyline is still around, as much as Ubisoft's marketing for the games has tried to hide it for the past few years. Nothing specific has yet been revealed about the story aside from mysterious hints from Ubisoft that you'll be playing as "yourself", working for Abstergo Entertainment with the task of exploring Desmond's genetic memories now that they've been uploaded to "the cloud" or whatever seriously who cares.

That's all there's been for now. They like to keep the modern day plot under wraps ie. never advertise it at all because nobody cares.

• Locked thread