Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crappy Jack posted:

Same, but they have explicitly confirmed that AC3's outfit system will be returning, so it's already been confirmed that if we don't like it, we can dump the loving thing and wear something else.

Only if you preorder from Amazon/Target/K-Mart/whatthefuckever or you collect all 700 feathers/squid tentacles/doubloons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Fast travel made the collection poo poo SO much easier.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Calaveron posted:

Only if you preorder from Amazon/Target/K-Mart/whatthefuckever or you collect all 700 feathers/squid tentacles/doubloons.

On a slightly more serious note they released the Uplay bonuses and they're two pretty awesome looking costumes, though one seems to be for a multiplayer character.

Any word on PS3/PS4 cross-platform multiplayer?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Calaveron posted:

Unlocking costumes for collecting poo poo is my crack. I will never tire of that mechanic in games.

And let's face it, that's an evil and yet effective way to encourage preorders. Make the main outfit so horrendously ugly and bad that you can't help but buy a preorder in order to make your character look less offensive to your eyes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone burned by AC3 feeling more comfortable yet?

Game looks sweet as hell.

I didn't think it could win me over, but that definitely looks good. I feel pretty confident that the open-world part of the game will at least be worth playing. The fact that there was no loading and very little scripted bullshit made me a lot more confident - boarding not being a cutscene is really awesome.

That said, it didn't look like the stealth had improved, mechanically, so I'm still unsure about that. Everything in the demo was so heavily practiced and the mission itself was really simple and didn't require much finesse.

I'm also not convinced that the entire story, both writing and design-wise, won't be hot loving garbage.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The costuming is kinda funny because it seems like they had this great idea for modern Assassins to wear hoodies to mirror the ancient Assassin uniform, then came to games set in the intervening thousand years and got a bit stuck.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Honestly the naval combat in AC3 really saved the game for me. And it looks like we'll get a sandbox environment we can dick around in with the Jackdaw so even if they include another uninteresting modern component no one really cares about at least the sandbox will make up for it. Hopefully.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm definitely more excited for AC4's potential, but AC3 is so bad in so many ways - while being brilliant in others - that I'm still waiting for real opinions after release. Also, because the technical experience of AC3 on the PC is considerably better than on the PS3. That framerate in the cities was far too low at times. So if I'm not pre-ordering, I may as well wait for the version I prefer.

isk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 23, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Slightly. Most likely I will just play gta5 until I feel like getting a ps4 and ac4 if the feedback is good.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

isk posted:

AC3 is so bad in so many ways - while being brilliant in others

What was AC3 brilliant in

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Ship battles and I sort of loved the Homestead section. Its still got plenty of flaws in both of those sections, but that was the stuff I always looked forward to doing.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

As soon as I learned that sea shanties were collectible I was down to buy this game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Gorn Myson posted:

Ship battles and I sort of loved the Homestead section. Its still got plenty of flaws in both of those sections, but that was the stuff I always looked forward to doing.

Yep. The concept of the Homestead is fantastic. That most of the benefits aren't available until the end, that some of the missions are ridiculous, and that capturing their actions for Achilles' book takes too long / was buggy at launch, well, that screws it up. But I like what they were trying to do.

Other things I really liked -

-The animations
-The combat system, once it clicks
-The feeling after pulling a Patriot and single-handedly ruining a Redcoat patrol
-Haytham as a protagonist
-The idea of individual, characterized recruits (like the Homestead, concept more than execution)

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Crappy Jack posted:

Unlocking costumes for collecting poo poo is my crack. I will never tire of that mechanic in games.

And let's face it, that's an evil and yet effective way to encourage preorders. Make the main outfit so horrendously ugly and bad that you can't help but buy a preorder in order to make your character look less offensive to your eyes.

Pft. Until you find out that you can't equip it until Act [X], where [X] is roughly the half way point through the game. Extra bonus points if the pre-order weapons are only available at this point in the game and are marginal upgrades at best to the equipment you can buy at that point in the game.

Ah preorder bonuses. Never PLEASE change.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have no opinion on Black Flag but I thought that AC3 looked great in all the preview videos too. It's really hard to judge an open world game from a 15 minute curated gameplay video. Great open world games are the result of a bunch of systems coming together correctly and that's hard to judge from short videos.

Indeed. Pretty sure I pre-ordered AC3 after watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ

And then it didn't even make it to the final game.

Either way, I'm definitely keeping an open eye to Black Flag. It's remarkable how much it looks like they've improved upon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno, I'm halfway through my first AC3 playthrough and I'm liking it way more than I expected to. As a rule I never pre-order games, and the amount of hate it got took it off my radar almost completely.

I know it doesn't do a whole lot of new stuff, but my only real complaint is that it hardly features any assassinations! But I can kinda understand why people who pre-ordered at full price were lovely about it. I probably would've been too, but it's definitely worth the $15 I paid for it on Amazon.

I won't pre-order Black Flag either, though I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Something that pissed me off in the Ezio trilogy and AC3 was that you were this badass parkour unstoppable assassin, enormous and lithe and muscular and whatnot, but any schlub cardinal or fat frontiersman moved as fast as you and was able to climb stuff just as good or even better than you. Hopefully this game's justification of "everybody's a loving pirate" fixes this.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

webmeister posted:

I dunno, I'm halfway through my first AC3 playthrough and I'm liking it way more than I expected to. As a rule I never pre-order games, and the amount of hate it got took it off my radar almost completely.

I know it doesn't do a whole lot of new stuff, but my only real complaint is that it hardly features any assassinations! But I can kinda understand why people who pre-ordered at full price were lovely about it. I probably would've been too, but it's definitely worth the $15 I paid for it on Amazon.

I won't pre-order Black Flag either, though I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Bear in mind that you playing it now means you get all the patches that came out to make it at least more palatable. The amount of poo poo that was just plain broken at release was staggering.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

At the very least, in this game taking over forts and whatnot will make a whole lot more sense than in ACIII since you're a goddamn pirate and that's what pirates do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Made perfect sense in 3. You're working for the Americans, and that's what Americans do.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Soundtrack world premiere from the Video Game Music Live show. Sounds much, much better than I anticipated considering the composer's previous works. Lots of texture and atmosphere for something that's bound to be nothing but an action cue.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Watched that 13 minute video and hot drat does the ship stuff look good; the obvious combat improvements, but I like the options given when boarding, I always thought it would be "sail next to enemy ship and Press X," "Watch cutscene of boarding the ship," "now youre on the ship! Press X to return to your ship."

I think the best thing they did with the ship battles is how youre still looking over the shoulder of the protagonist there at the helm, it really gives a visceral thrill of being right there in the action. I don't think there'd be the same satsifaction if they had originally gone with an eagle-eye overhead view.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The thing that impressed me most about that was that the two separate ships became one playable area when they were side to side; like jumping from one to the other could be done from the deck or all the way up in the mast, it looked great.

Also here's a sea shanty that's supposed to be in the game, loving :yarr: as hell.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

The thing that impressed me most about that was that the two separate ships became one playable area when they were side to side; like jumping from one to the other could be done from the deck or all the way up in the mast, it looked great.

Also here's a sea shanty that's supposed to be in the game, loving :yarr: as hell.
Assassins Creed III burned me pretty badly on the entire series but this game seems to be scrathing the right spots for me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oh god yes. I hope "Hang'n Johnny" returns from AC3. Oh..and Wild Rover, and they need The Woodpile. I'm going to buy this just for "Press X to sing a stirring shanty". :3:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

So we're getting a bunch of sea shanties that will start based on the push of a button. A playlist. A Grooveshark, for when we're grooving with the sharks :downsrim:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I love all the AC games and I think they are unique in their setting and how they are played. Unfortunately the story is utter poo poo, I've played all games and I have no idea what they are on about. Sometimes I get switched to some god-awful "modern" setting where I have to do horrible jumping puzzles. And also there are some totally unlikable characters hanging around flapping their stupid mouths about some "aspergo" that is out to get you because...I don't know why, they don't like your face? The ending to AC3 made no sense what so ever to me, not that I care really, I was content with skinning animals for 30 hours and improving my homestead, now that was fun!

Why can't they just drop this story and focus 100% on the main game setting? There is no need at all to even mention that you are playing this through some virtual reality interface, just say it's a game about a cool assassin dude and you get to play him. That's what I'm trying my hardest to do when I play the game, but sometimes I am forced to play these horrible sequences. Am I alone in thinking this?

Anyway, I'm super pumped for this game, it looks really awesome, I hope I get to skin some animals in this one too!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I love all the AC games and I think they are unique in their setting and how they are played. Unfortunately the story is utter poo poo, I've played all games and I have no idea what they are on about. Sometimes I get switched to some god-awful "modern" setting where I have to do horrible jumping puzzles. And also there are some totally unlikable characters hanging around flapping their stupid mouths about some "aspergo" that is out to get you because...I don't know why, they don't like your face? The ending to AC3 made no sense what so ever to me, not that I care really, I was content with skinning animals for 30 hours and improving my homestead, now that was fun!

Why can't they just drop this story and focus 100% on the main game setting? There is no need at all to even mention that you are playing this through some virtual reality interface, just say it's a game about a cool assassin dude and you get to play him. That's what I'm trying my hardest to do when I play the game, but sometimes I am forced to play these horrible sequences. Am I alone in thinking this?

Anyway, I'm super pumped for this game, it looks really awesome, I hope I get to skin some animals in this one too!
The modern day story is still in this, but aside from a couple of bits it's entirely optional.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Made perfect sense in 3. You're working for the Americans, and that's what Americans do.

Except for the forts you could capture before America existed :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TjyvTompa posted:

No you're not alone, I'm pretty sure almost everyone thinks this. But they persist in it for whatever reason, so I guess that's just what we have to put up with. At least it's almost entirely optional :unsmith:

I just think of it as the price we have to pay for a AAA game that isn't a gritty modern military shooter.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I'm pretty sure that I am the lone terrible person that genuinely enjoys the modern wrapping stories for AssCreed games. I'm why Ubi keeps putting it in. Sorry. :(

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Depends on the game.

AC1 - tolerable, if a bit longwinded
AC2 - much improved
ACB - maintains quality from AC2, with a HOLYFUCK climax
AC3 - inconsistent, with some decent moments

realbrickwall
Mar 12, 2013

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I'm pretty sure that I am the lone terrible person that genuinely enjoys the modern wrapping stories for AssCreed games. I'm why Ubi keeps putting it in. Sorry. :(

Yes. Their focus group was just you and me. They're like, "Yes, those two guys love it. Let's keep doing it." And that's been happening since ACI.

Although maybe I just like the idea that after the modern part of Assassin's Creed, the game Mirror's Edge takes place. It just fits so well.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

isk posted:

Depends on the game.

AC1 - tolerable, if a bit longwinded
AC2 - much improved
ACB - maintains quality from AC2, with a HOLYFUCK climax
AC3 - inconsistent, with some decent moments

ACR - pretty much nothing happens, why isn't 16 Cam Clarke anymore?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I liked the modern day story as some kind of framing device, but by the end of Brotherhood it turned into a drag and stupid.
The idea in revelations of Desmond being shattered isn't even bad, but it went nowhere really.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So the 13 minutes of gameplay basically told me that I will have a save that sits at the point where you unlock the whole world for travel and the Jackdaw for upgrading and just play Pirates! forever.

That said, having just finally finished AC3, what I might be looking forward to most is the potential reduction of use of the notoriety system. Doing Liberation missions/contracts and suddenly being notoriety 3 and having to fight Jaegers (the least fun enemy in the entire set of games) all the time really sucked out the fun of the open world for the last couple of hours. Not to mention that some jackass designer had a hardon for putting huge patrols by every printing shop.

E: Also over the course of AC3 various characters casually lose/discard something like 30 perfectly good hats, so I hope they keep that level of quality.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 29, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Orv posted:

So the 13 minutes of gameplay basically told me that I will have a save that sits at the point where you unlock the whole world for travel and the Jackdaw for upgrading and just play Pirates! forever.

Now only if the game plot was rescuing your family from evil spaniards and subplots were to get married and dig up treasures. :pirate:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Now only if the game plot was rescuing your family from evil spaniards and subplots were to get married and dig up treasures. :pirate:

Unfortunately that would require mediocre writing at the least, so no dice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pyromancer posted:

This brings up the real question: will there be a dancing minigame? Can I unlock new dance moves by buying upgrades from an important historical figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
To be fair, at least part of AC2 was about rescuing your family from evil spaniards

• Locked thread