Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
1. Press forward to walk
2. Press to run
3. press to sprint and freerun

"convoluted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

AC3's controls were miles better than the games that came before, I thought. As I mentioned before, it helped a lot to be able to turn the camera while sprinting or climbing. Vaulting over smaller obstacles was handy, and I can't remember a single instance when I started climbing something accidentally. Also people seem to forget that AC3 introduced "strafe" to the controls; when you were sprinting, if you tapped the left stick to left or right, Connor would strafe instead of instantly doing a full-on 90-degree turn like in the previous games. Handy as hell for dodging obstacles or people on the streets.

Nobody found pressing two buttons on a controller hard, the scheme was just convoluted for no real reason. Simplification can be a good thing too.

The simplification led to a lot more bullshit than was intended. There's not some hidden depth to it; the old controls weren't perfect, but more movement options is definitely preferred in a game like AC. They could still improve it for 4, but it sucked hard in 3.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
AC3 had massively improved graphical and control systems, at the expense of throwing away all the good gameplay elements we got in Brotherhood, whilst Revelations was a recycled throwaway with delusions of grandeur. I'm cautiously hopeful for Black Flag, because hopefully we might see a folding together of the enjoyable aspects of the two lines, but it's also possible they'll miss the beat entirely and give us the worst of either accidentally.

I'm undecided on the streamlining controls thing to this day. On the one hand, it made transitioning from running to climbing much more fluid, but it also to some extent removes the sense of achievement you get from doing it 'well'. There's an element of games where movement being complex for it's own sake (Mirror's Edge) is rewarding just for the fun of doing it, and whilst removing these aspects makes for a better flow, especially for people who might otherwise struggle with it, it also costs you that entertainment.

I was quite disappointed with how shallow AC3 ended up being and how quickly it managed to get into Steam sales and the like, so I'll be holding fire in the short term.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope we can share games on the PS4 because I would drop down $30 with a buddy just for the free world aspects of this game. It's got to be worth that at least. Maybe not the full $60, but $30.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

1. Press forward to walk
2. Press to run
3. press to sprint and freerun

"convoluted"
"Needlessly." My point was that removing a button between a non-freerun jog (which was pointless anyway really) and camera control-losing sprint (now regaining camera control) is a step forward.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shockeh posted:

I was quite disappointed with how shallow AC3 ended up being and how quickly it managed to get into Steam sales and the like, so I'll be holding fire in the short term.

Ubisoft is always quite aggressive with sales and price cuts, this wasn't limited to AC3. AC4 will be $40 on Black Friday guaranteed. 30 by March. Splinter Cell is going to be 40 by the time AC4 hits. Digital deals from Steam and Amazon will be even cheaper probably.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

"Needlessly." My point was that removing a button between a non-freerun jog (which was pointless anyway really) and camera control-losing sprint (now regaining camera control) is a step forward.

No, it isn't. The extra button press is there so you have more control and don't inadvertently jump up stuff you don't want to jump up, which happened constantly in AC3.

I know you like that game, as you keep reminding us, and that's fine, but don't pretend that many people haven't laid out plenty of worthwhile reasons for why very little in AC3 actually works, that being one of them. It's a change that seems good inititally, but the more you play and the more precise you need to move, it becomes a huge pain in the rear end. The only reason it doesn't ruin the game on its own is because you have much more space to move in than any of the other AC games - and even then it still isn't enough in a lot of cases. Implementing that change back into AC2 retroactively would completely destroy that game, so don't call it a step forward unless you think that (poorly) designing a whole new game around it is actually a worthwhile endeavour.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 8, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The three-button sprint/freerun works fine on PC because it's trivial to hold down W, Shift, Space while still having your right hand be free for the mouse, but I can see it being a big pain on consoles. Sprinting in Dark Souls is hard enough on the hands.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boing posted:

The three-button sprint/freerun works fine on PC because it's trivial to hold down W, Shift, Space while still having your right hand be free for the mouse, but I can see it being a big pain on consoles. Sprinting in Dark Souls is hard enough on the hands.

It's not. You don't have to click in the sticks or anything like that, and I actually think it aids in making your movement feel heavier and more tactile.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ever since Revelations I've said "this will be the last Assassin's Creed game I will play, because this isn't very fun anymore". Then AC3 was announced, and the setting sounded really cool, and I eagerly played it and was similarly disappointed.

But I super love everything pirates and age of sail so this is going to have to be a part of my life :sigh:

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Hakkesshu posted:

No, it isn't. The extra button press is there so you have more control and don't inadvertently jump up stuff you don't want to jump up, which happened constantly in AC3.
It happened constantly in previous AC games (at least to me, and I presume to Stare-Out) because I was always doing the three button sprint anyway. The only time I was running without sprinting was when I had to move the camera, which was an annoying flow-breaker during chases and races. Please ignore the fact that inadvertent climbing is a bigger flow-breaker.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

We can agree that the strafe is pretty cool, right? Because that's all I did in the loading screens. That or walk the dinosaur.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jethro posted:

It happened constantly in previous AC games (at least to me, and I presume to Stare-Out) because I was always doing the three button sprint anyway. The only time I was running without sprinting was when I had to move the camera, which was an annoying flow-breaker during chases and races. Please ignore the fact that inadvertent climbing is a bigger flow-breaker.

So how did the AC3 controls solve that problem, then? Even if you sprint everywhere (which I didn't when I wanted to be precise), I'm definitely for always having the option to not do so, because not having it annoyed the poo poo out of me in AC3. I don't think they'll revert in 4 since climbing will probably be even less of a thing than it was in 3, but I feel like that's definitely something they should have as an option.

Several things since AC1 have been simplified for the better, but I don't think the controls are one of them - now, the movement system itself could do with some fixing, maybe they could even make the revamped controls work in future games, but as is I thought they sucked rear end in AC3.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
As someone who used to crabclaw every AC game to sprint while moving the camera (middle finger on trigger, index on A, thumb on stick) I can honestly say I didn't even remember they changed the controls until reading people talking about it. e: Actually it may have been thumb on A, index finger on stick? I dunno I hold my controllers weird sometimes.

AC3's biggest flaw was it was too god drat dry, it felt like they went back to the plot atmosphere of the first game and forgot how much fun it was to be a heavily armed florentine pimp.

Black Flag looks to have remedied this and then some, so personally I'm not too worried.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The iconic Assassin's Creed parkour move is running up the side of a doorway of a door you're trying to enter 2 or 3 times before you make it in.
Also those sea shanties own bones.

TotalHell posted:

From a few pages back, but gently caress I want the full-shanty soundtrack from this game so badly. My parents are folk-music lovers, so I was largely raised on the likes of Tom Lewishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QREmq3BBQ and Dramtreeohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKAY10w_qs. This poo poo is right up my alley.

Sup sea song buddy?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s97c0
I watched that a few months ago, and it was fantastic. It's a good primer for people unfamiliar with naval music tradition.

Also, last time I was at Disneyland they had a band dressed like pirates play sea songs in New Orleans square and it was rad as hell.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 8, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I know you like that game, as you keep reminding us, and that's fine, but don't pretend that many people haven't laid out plenty of worthwhile reasons for why very little in AC3 actually works, that being one of them. It's a change that seems good inititally, but the more you play and the more precise you need to move, it becomes a huge pain in the rear end. The only reason it doesn't ruin the game on its own is because you have much more space to move in than any of the other AC games - and even then it still isn't enough in a lot of cases. Implementing that change back into AC2 retroactively would completely destroy that game, so don't call it a step forward unless you think that (poorly) designing a whole new game around it is actually a worthwhile endeavour.
I was responding to a claim that a certain change that was made for AC3 was universally considered a "bad move". I offer my point of view that I didn't find it to be that way at all, I'm not defending the game for flaws other people found in it, there's nothing wrong with that. As I've said, AC3 was far from a perfect game, without a doubt, but what I'm saying that not everyone found it to be the spawn of the devil a lot of people say it was.

I'm calling the change a step forward, to me, personally, because I found being able to move the camera during freerunning important and it never came to me at the cost of suddenly climbing up a building when I didn't want to.

Strafing is fantastic though, I think we can all agree on that.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Stare-Out posted:

Strafing is fantastic though, I think we can all agree on that.

I didn't know about it until just now. But... it sounds good.

Could you do that in multiplayer?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Skychrono posted:

I'm pretty sure the controls made it over to the multiplayer as they were, so I'd think so, yeah. I mentioned it earlier, but in previous games while freerunning if you pushed the left stick even a little, the character would start turning in that direction, but in AC3 (and onwards I'd imagine) when you did that, the character would keep running in the same direction but would strafe for a brief period before starting to turn.

It was really handy while legging it down a crowded street and allowed you to make last-second corrections to dodge people and obstacles without changing direction.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't think so, because the multiplayer, as far as I'm aware, still runs on the II/Brotherhood/Revelations engine.
Oh really? I had no idea, I never touched the AC3 multi for some reason even though I loved ACB and ACR multiplayer. Weird that they didn't use AnvilNext for it.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 8, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dewgy posted:

AC3's biggest flaw was it was too god drat dry, it felt like they went back to the plot atmosphere of the first game and forgot how much fun it was to be a heavily armed florentine pimp.

Yeah. Stringing red coats up in the trees with rope darts like the loving predator was boring, how'd that even happen :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Skychrono posted:

I don't think so, because the multiplayer, as far as I'm aware, still runs on the II/Brotherhood/Revelations engine.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah. Stringing red coats up in the trees with rope darts like the loving predator was boring, how'd that even happen :(

Yeah, it really should've been more of a "these fuckers are invading your homeland, REVENGE" or something, but everything about the game just felt so non-committal. It was just a series of stuff happening.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I think that's because the Assassins are kind of anarchists in their thinking, and the American revolution didn't really have much of them making an effect, so it kind of shoehorned Connor into supporting the revolutionaries for no real good reason, but because they were saying the right things. It could have been better, if he was protecting his tribe from both the revolutionaries and the crown from taking over, you know giving a nuanced view on how it was a different group of rich white men trying to take over. Protecting the little guy from the big bad guys. It's why I think the Spanish Civil war would be a pretty good setting, protecting Catalonia and travelling on both sides of the war, killing Franquist officers, corrupt members of the church on the one side, and Communist officers that are trying to restore the old property system etc on the other. Barcelona, Toledo, bit of the countryside. Free running and assassination would be perfectly understandably in such a setting.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Stare-Out posted:

I really take issue with the idea that removing control from the player is a step forward. I can see that it could make it easier for new players, but like I said before, by the 5th game in the series, simplifying and removing controls is not the way they should be trying to improve the movement system.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ardent Communist posted:

I think that's because the Assassins are kind of anarchists in their thinking, and the American revolution didn't really have much of them making an effect, so it kind of shoehorned Connor into supporting the revolutionaries for no real good reason, but because they were saying the right things. It could have been better, if he was protecting his tribe from both the revolutionaries and the crown from taking over, you know giving a nuanced view on how it was a different group of rich white men trying to take over. Protecting the little guy from the big bad guys. It's why I think the Spanish Civil war would be a pretty good setting, protecting Catalonia and travelling on both sides of the war, killing Franquist officers, corrupt members of the church on the one side, and Communist officers that are trying to restore the old property system etc on the other. Barcelona, Toledo, bit of the countryside. Free running and assassination would be perfectly understandably in such a setting.

The best part about a Catalan setting would be the :can: that the topic still is in some parts of the world, much moreso than the other AC settings.

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010
So is there any reason to order the PC version over the 360 version?

I can't really tell if its just a 360 port, or if it's going to be more on par with the next gen hardware.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Higher quality textures, higher resolution, likely improved framerate. Also, you get 1-2 months worth of user reviews before choosing to buy at full price, on sale, etc.

Obviously don't yet know if it'll be on par with next gen, but based on prior AC ports, it should be noticeably higher quality than current gen.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ninjahedgehog posted:

AC2 didn't have multi, ACB and ACR ran on (very) different engines. I deleted AC3 from my HD a long time ago but I'm like 99% sure AC3 multi ran on ACR's engine.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey so on the multiplayer bit, I just started playing it in AC3, first AC multiplayer experienced. How do I win? I suck :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grem posted:

Hey so on the multiplayer bit, I just started playing it in AC3, first AC multiplayer experienced. How do I win? I suck :(

You probably don't. Anyone still playing probably has all the fun toys that are overpowered in this version of AC MP (they've been slightly different for each game but there's always something) and will consistently kill you without breaking a sweat for hilarious multipliers. You could run around like an idiot raking in 100 point kills in lovely modes until you unlocked stuff but that'd be an even longer road than learning how to play naturally.

The biggest thing is acting like an AI, and I didn't play enough of AC3 MP to tell you how to do that. Basic things are don't walk weird (don't swerve or look around unnecessarily), be very careful about how you enter a meld and how you stand in it, don't freak out unless you absolutely need to. A lot of the things that you'll need to learn are just going to be things that kind of suddenly click for you after doing them enough the slightly wrong way. Which is a terrible way to describe it but I can't think of a better one.

Also, learn to hate smoke bombs and never rely on stuns.

And yes, AC3 MP is running on a slightly shinier version of the AC:R engine, but why they decided to do anything about that engines graphics is a mystery to me.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 12, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Grem posted:

Play wolfpack to get acquainted with the maps and learn the basics of stacking bonuses for high point kills. The levels are designed so that you can get a hidden or acrobatic on just about any spot on the map. After a few games you'll have earned enough to unlock the good abilities (smoke, then one of shield, firecrackers, teleport, or poison depending on your playstyle and the game type)

There's also good instructional vids on youtube, the best ones i've seen were called "templar training" from a dude named loomer but that was years ago and there may be better ones available now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

:siren:New narrated walkthrough video:siren: featuring underwater gameplay, stealth gameplay, city gameplay, jungle and assassination gameplay.

Sharks have little sight indicators like guards do :3: You can use Eagle Vision to tag guards now (yet another Far Cry 3 feature), the city of Havana was made consciously as something of a love letter to the cities in AC2, and it shows.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ardent Communist posted:

I think that's because the Assassins are kind of anarchists in their thinking, and the American revolution didn't really have much of them making an effect, so it kind of shoehorned Connor into supporting the revolutionaries for no real good reason, but because they were saying the right things. It could have been better, if he was protecting his tribe from both the revolutionaries and the crown from taking over, you know giving a nuanced view on how it was a different group of rich white men trying to take over.

Shaun's index commentary was one of the few things that showed any kind of nuance, besides the tiny little George Washington lecture towards the end. And that's sad because I'm sure hardly anyone reads that stuff besides goony history buffs like me.

Especially strange considering the game is Canadian and there's no country that likes tearing apart the "violent revolution was necessary" mindset more than Canucks.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Stare-Out posted:

:siren:New narrated walkthrough video:siren: featuring underwater gameplay, stealth gameplay, city gameplay, jungle and assassination gameplay.

Sharks have little sight indicators like guards do :3: You can use Eagle Vision to tag guards now (yet another Far Cry 3 feature), the city of Havana was made consciously as something of a love letter to the cities in AC2, and it shows.

I see lots of good stuff. Weapon selection seems much better, whistling from hiding spots, the map is less terrible. Nothing revolutionary (except the ship stuff) but at that point I think the series need polish more than a revolution.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
This is looking better and better. Havana especially looks like it'll be gorgeous to run around in, the cities in AC3 were really bland and disappointing. And yeah, AC2/Bro had some of the most charm I've seen in a game, so I don't particularly need anything new or exciting from the series, I'll probably just keep playing AC games if they can keep delivering that sense of open world fun that I'm nostalgic for :allears:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I am getting some serious AC2 vibes from this. Aside from Havana being much like Florence in AC2, the fact that there are three very distinct cities was something I've really missed since AC2. Except this time the world between those cities is infinitely more interesting and fun to explore, and an actual area of its own instead of just straight roads from A to B. Side-assassinations are back big time which is great, too.

Also as to the oxygen "issue" discussed earlier; there are several diving bells around when you're underwater and the minimap showed quite a few points on the map where you could fill the oxygen meter. The meter doesn't seem to go down that quick either which is handy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Having the eagle vision mark all your enemies so you can see them through walls is actually a pretty huge deal and should aid in making the stealth not absolutely terrible. I'm feeling better and better about this game.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

I see lots of good stuff. Weapon selection seems much better, whistling from hiding spots, the map is less terrible. Nothing revolutionary (except the ship stuff) but at that point I think the series need polish more than a revolution.

Yeah, the last game had a revolution in it, and look how that turned out.

:rimshot:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Having the eagle vision mark all your enemies so you can see them through walls is actually a pretty huge deal and should aid in making the stealth not absolutely terrible. I'm feeling better and better about this game.

Taking a page from Far Cry 3. That was a nice, well implemented mechanic over there.
Although thematically it makes more sense for a master assassin to have the spatial awareness to "wallhack" enemies compared to a bro with magic tattoos.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I like that he's actually just a pretty scrawny tatted up pirate-looking dude, and not some super buffman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Sony showed off PS4/Vita Remote Play using new footage from ACIV. Still looks pretty sweet. I'm liking Edward.

http://www.destructoid.com/assassin-s-creed-iv-on-playstation-vita-via-remote-play-260435.phtml

• Locked thread