Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Single-celled and self-satisfied
:siren:Spoiler discussion goes here::siren:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555417

:siren:Dr.Oblivious made us a supercool spreadsheet for any goons who want proper teammates::siren:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvUUMw0aoLDbdEJCZlVqWlYyRmxzaE53ei1IYkNJdHc&usp=sharing

Developer: Naughty Dog
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Official Website: http://www.thelastofus.com
Directors: Neil Druckmann, Bruce Straley
Composer: Gustavo Santaolalla
Rating: ESRB - M, PEGI - 18
System: PS3
Release Date: 14th June, 2013

What is The Last of Us?
The Last of Us is the latest game by developer Naughty Dog. It's a post apocalyptic, 3rd person action horror game with visceral combat and some survival elements. The game was first revealed at the Spike Video Game Awards on November 29, 2011 with this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSdOzklx2H8

The game is set 20 years after a strain of the Cordyceps fungus begins to infect humans, causing its victims to become vicious, flesh eating monsters. Think "28 Days Later" style infected. Many who avoided infection live in militarised quarantine zones, others survive in the ruined cities by scavenging what they need or taking it from others.

Here we have our protagonist: Joel (voiced by Troy Baker). He used to be an average guy but 20 years of doing whatever it takes to survive has drained him of compassion. He makes his living as a smuggler, moving cargo under the nose of the brutal military.

One such piece of cargo is the 14 year old Ellie (voiced by Ashley Johnson). Born after the fungus decimated society, she has little experience of the world outside the quarantine zones. Don't think this makes her some helpless waif though, she'll fight as hard as anyone against the dangers she and Joel will meet on the road.

Features:
    Combat
  • Ammo is a precious resource, to be used only when absolutely necessary. "Spray and pray" tactics will not get you far.
  • The melee weapons are degradable, breaking after a certain number of uses. Many of them will be improvised from debris, such as pipes, planks and bricks. More durable and damaging weapons like axes and knives will also be available for use.
  • You won't always have to fight. Items can be thrown to distract enemies while you skulk on past or attack them from behind. Silent stealth kills can be performed, but do take several seconds to execute, in which time your presence could become known to that bandit who comes around the corner at just the wrong moment.
  • Ellie (and other companions) will help you fight. If you are grappled she will try to shank your assailant or distract them if you are out of ammo. she'll follow your lead as to how combat is handled; if you stay quiet she'll do the same, if you open fire she'll join you.
  • To handle enemy behaviour Naughty Dog has developed the "Balance of Power" AI, which takes into account how the player behaves and presents himself. If you enter a room full of armed bandits with nothing but an empty bottle then they'll run you down without hesitation, whereas if you enter that same room with a shotgun in hand they're more likely to take cover or try to flank you. If they hear that gun shoot dry then they'll be far less intimidated by you.

Survival
  • Resources will have to be scavenged from the environment and crafted into usable items.
  • Joel's health does not regenerate by its self so healing item must be obtained and used to replenish it. Weapons such as shivs and Molotov cocktails can be crafted and melee weapons can be modified to improve their effectiveness.
  • The crafting mechanic is performed in real-time at any time. No pausing combat to tie scissors to your 2x4 or whip up a fresh bandage.
  • Guns can also be improved if you have the required components, but only at specific crafting benches. With these you can improve a weapons accuracy, rate of fire, ammo capacity, etc.
  • Joel can use sound to locate anything moving around him with "listen mode", allowing the player to see the silhouette of moving creatures through solid objects. This ability can be disabled in the game options.

Less easy to categorise stuff
  • Multiplyer is confirmed but all we know so far is from information on the pre-order bonuses; there will be a currency system, character customisation and perks. The lead artist Nate Wells claims it is "the best MP ever conceived"
  • PSN release will be simultaneous and supposedly playable once the download reaches about 50% completion.
  • Anyone with a copy of God of War: Ascension will have access to a demo of The Last of Us from Friday the 31'st of May.

Special Editions and Pre-order Bonuses:

Anyone who pre-orders the game will receive the 'Sights & Sounds DLC pack' for free. This includes the Official Game Soundtrack, a PS3 Dynamic Theme and PSN Avatars of Winter Joel & Ellie. In addition, those who pre-order any edition from Gamestop will receive the 'Survival DLC Pack'. The Survival DLC Pack includes Multiplayer Bonuses including bonus XP, a Melee Booster, in-game currency and customisable character items, and bonus Joel and Ellie skins unlocked by completing the single-player campaign.

Survival Edition

Exclusive to US regions, the Survival Edition includes:
  • The Art of The Last of Us: A full-sized 170-page hardcover art book from Dark Horse.
  • The Last of Us: American Dreams #1: The first issue in a series of comic books that dives deeper into Ellie's backstory, by Dark Horse.
  • The Steelbook edition of the game: Showcasing artwork of Ellie on one side and Joel on the other side of the cover.
  • The 'Sights & Sounds DLC pack'.

Post-Pandemic Edition (Exclusive to GameStop)

Also exclusive to US regions, the Post-Pandemic edition is a higher tier version that includes all of the aforementioned additions, along with:
  • A 12" Premium Statue of Joel and Ellie by Project Triforce.
  • As it is Gamestop exclusive the 'Survival DLC Pack' is included.

Joel/Ellie Editions

Exclusive to European regions, these include identical items but each has its own theme specifically centred on one of the two protagonists of the game. These editions include:
  • Both the 'Sights & Sounds DLC pack' and the 'Survival DLC Pack'.
  • The Last of Us Mini Artbook.
  • The Last of Us: American Dreams #1.
  • Joel/Ellie Screen Print Effect Poster.
  • Joel/Ellie Dualshock Controller Skin.
  • Joel/Ellie LittleBigPlanet Sackboy Costume.
  • Canvas Wrap.

Smug Amoeba fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Videos

Trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hP4Bsu0rAMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOYzceO5b1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-TRtFnUAshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSv2dXXdcRo

Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRvDfj9r0uAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwsXTojbrW4

Developer Diaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSEYu9vVn0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxwtztkSKTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HITsGAAAgDshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_GeYfUvZE

Images

Reviews
Destructoid: 10/10
Edge: 10/10
Eurogamer: 10/10
Gamespot: 8/10
Giant Bomb: 5/5
IGN: 10/10
Polygon: 7.5/10

Links

Official website

Twitter pages of some of the developers:
https://twitter.com/cbalestra
https://twitter.com/PrettyLarceny
https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann

The Last of Us Wiki

A collection of most official videos

Handy little tips

smug amoeba posted:

When faced with Bloaters apply fire generously.

Fuzz posted:

For people having trouble with clicker stealth sections:

- Hold down R2.
- Walk to the end of the area never getting closer than 5 feet to a clicker.

Tada. This works on every difficulty.

DeathSandwich posted:

Alternatively:

-Throw Bottle.
-Wait for clickers to group up.
-Throw molotov.

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

Some stuff I've noticed for Multiplayer is to basically stick together. Never go hand to hand with someone with a weapon, and mostly, never go running around corners and into the open, just stay off to the sides and use your hearing. I use it all the time, just to make sure no ones behind me or booking it around the corner. Oh and if you see someone and you want to get that sweet, sweet melee kill, just shoot him. Because most likely he has a buddy hanging around and will shiv your rear end once you down the guy.

Corte posted:

Maybe we should post a quick and dirty guide to being a parts gathering machine in the OP but here's my stab at it, would appreciate feedback:
-Until you have unlocked Crafter 2 and First Aid 2 use the Support class to have these abilities
-Once unlocked Collector 1 can be useful if you're finding yourself performing enough support actions in a match, I haven't done the math but I imagine it adds up
-Always be with the majority of your team and follow, don't lead, so you're better able to perform the actions that will score you parts with less risk namely healing, reviving, crafting/gifting and marking
-When you do participate in kills be sure to pick up the supplies that drop on the corpse
-Typically I've found that Survivor mode is easier to gather parts in as your team is generally more conservative due to having one life per round, in addition there are more supply caches and opportunities to do just about everything that gains parts, also if your ego can handle it you can always lose a couple rounds to extend the match and collect more parts
-Don't be afraid the pull the plug so to speak, meaning exit the game by accessing Account Management through the PS3 main menu options, it may sound like an immature excuse but everyone does it and why should you handicap yourself? In addition Naughty Dog's current setup is too flawed to not game it a little, it's hardly fair to be dropped into a game that is almost over, play out a game where fellow teammates have already abandoned or where you're set up against a team of 50+ week pros and paired with far greener allies
-When picking missions to complete play to your strengths but don't pick the easiest ones first, save them for later weeks(6,8,10,11,12) when 100% of your clan is on the line, don't choose shiv deaths if you find yourself never getting them for example, the missions I've found easiest to complete personally are marks(just pick the hunting rifle, find a good perch and ping away), healing(one revive typically generates around 5 heals, I've been able to complete 30+ in a match) and gifting(becomes all the more easy when you obtain Crafter 3)
-Consider waiting to run with some goons as they hopefully will be more reliable than your standard pub player

My loadout generally went Support class to First Aid 2, Crafter 2, Collector 1 to First Aid 2, Crafter 3 and whatever I feel like, typically still fitting in Collector if I'm really hungry for parts. Might be worth mentioning that I've survived 12 weeks and gotten all the cosmetic unlocks so my system definitely works.

a shameful boehner posted:

Get better. The multiplayer in this game is fantastic and is unlike any other online shooter. The only time you're getting one shot downed in the opening two minutes is if you're taking a shot to the head from the bow, which is exceedingly hard to do.

The starting revolver is one of the best weapons in the game and can down a (non-armored) full-health opponent in three body shots. If you sprint by holding L2, you will show up on the radar for all enemies and they will quickly hunt you down and shoot you to death. If you are on your own away from your team you will likely run into three or more of the opposing team at a time and they will quickly hunt you down and shoot you to death. If you try and melee someone and they're not already badly wounded, you will get shot to death unless you have the Brawler 2 perk equipped or a nailbat crafted.

- If you "jog", just normal running without holding L2, you won't show up on radar, though your sound profile will still show you if the other team is listening.

- If you aren't wearing a helmet and are at all wounded, one headshot will down you.

- The Military Sniper (purchaseable) and El Diablo (purchaseable) are one-shot kills - not downs - with a headshot.

- A nailbat swing will instantly down you, regardless of whether or not you're wearing armor.

- In Supply Raid, it's often better to rush a supply crate that's farther up from your spawn, then return to the supply crate closer to your spawn. In this way I can often have a crafted nailbat, shiv and smokebomb within the opening minute of the game with little to no risk of death. Just run the gently caress away if you see anyone.

- Microphones and communication are essential.

- REVIVE YOUR loving TEAMMATES. If you don't do this in supply raid, you're an idiot. It's easy parts and in effect, you're giving yourself another spawn.

- You can move while using a medkit. Bandage yourself while moving to cover.

- Run the gently caress away! Most of the time you can sprint away and find a medkit if you've run into a bad situation. Don't just sit there and keep shooting. A lot of the time it's better to regroup. In fact, if your team is smart, they'll see/hear you shooting/getting shot. If you then run back to your team instead of standing there, you can give the other team a nasty surprise when there's three more people with molotovs and semi-autos waiting for them when they round the corner you just went by.

One of my favorite loadouts:

- Revolver
- No starting large firearm
- Marathon Runner 2
- Brawler 2
- Covert Training 1
- Crafter 1

I lose a loadout point with this, but I start with a shiv, craft 75% faster, have 30% longer sprint, and gain 10 health with each melee hit. The result? I'm behind most teams before they know what's happened with shivs and a modded melee weapon.

Fungoons

Dr.Oblivious made us a supercool spreadsheet for any goons who want proper teammates:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvUUMw0aoLDbdEJCZlVqWlYyRmxzaE53ei1IYkNJdHc&usp=sharing

Smug Amoeba fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 7, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
This looks a lot like I Am Alive, expect like... good. Like what IAA was trying to be.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm certain I saw a few of those concept pieces attached to a virtually identical property being worked on by the STALKER devs. Did they get absorbed into Naughty Dog, or has someone been playing silly buggers with my head?

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Less than a month to go now?

Feels like we've been waiting for this one forever. Fingers crossed that Naughty Dog really nails the tension of Survival Horror over just pushing things at an action pace.

I'll skip the Crash resurrection and consider this their last great Hurrah on PS3. If they use all of the know-how for wrangling every last drop of the PS3's horsepowered that they've managed to siphon out of the Uncharted trilogy we're likely to see some very good tech show up with this game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think you should also mention that this will be Day 1 Digital for anyone who wants to PSN share it or something.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I'm excited for this game, Naughty Dog can work the PS3 like no-one else.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'm really excited to see what multiplayer modes this game will have, and what they're like. Are they saving the multiplayer reveal for E3?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm really excited to see what multiplayer modes this game will have, and what they're like. Are they saving the multiplayer reveal for E3?

Same here. Although I thought they had already unveiled the multiplayer modes, but I guess not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

I'm certain I saw a few of those concept pieces attached to a virtually identical property being worked on by the STALKER devs. Did they get absorbed into Naughty Dog, or has someone been playing silly buggers with my head?

You're thinking of Survarium, which is still in active development (and just went into alpha in Russia this week), but has a slightly similar backstory to Last of Us. It's another apocalypse by nature story, with forests mysteriously overgrowing and nature taking over all the cities, and spores infecting humans. I think Last of Us only focuses on the human infection, and the overgrowth is just a natural part of what happens 20 years after humanity stops caring for their cities, but it's still a pretty similar theme with natural overgrowth being a significant part of both games's aesthetic. http://survarium.com/en/page/about-survarium

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Same here. Although I thought they had already unveiled the multiplayer modes, but I guess not.

I do hope the multiplayer is as addictive as Uncharted 2 and 3 was for me. This game looks awesome obviously it will be fairly short like past Uncharted titles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just a note for the OP: The Survival DLC pack is actually a Gamestop exclusive bonus. It comes with any edition, not just the Post-Pandemic. Sights and Sounds is a generic preorder bonus you get everywhere (At least in NA.)

Also for anyone who normally orders online, this game comes out on a Friday. So if you're not getting overnight shipping, you might want to go retail or PSN or you may have to wait through the weekend.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Really psyched about this one. Naughty Dog knows how to work the poo poo out of the PS3 and I have no doubt that controls, balance and the feel of the game are just going to be dead on. My only concern is that the pacing of the game and survival elements may not live up to expectation. I'm not like hardcore or anything but its not an uncommon trend for slow paced high suspense games to just turn into more generic action games as development goes on.

Either way its guaranteed to have some incredible set pieces though, hard to imagine this one being disappointing. At this point any naughty dog title is a day one purchace for me and will stay that way until they hit their first major cock up.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Multiplayer is being shown next week to European press, so I'm assuming that's when an American embargo on it (most of the previews out now are from E3 Judge's Week) ends.

I get the feeling the most you'll hear about this at E3 will be about it coming out that Friday and it being used as an example of the presence and support the PlayStation 3 still has as the system makes it's official movement towards the sunset. And they'll probably make sure to mention PSN purchasers can start playing the game when it hits the 50% point in the download, "giving users a tantalizing taste of what to expect when the PlayStation 4 launches and this capability is available for every game on that platform, at an even earlier interval". Honest to god I can hear Jack Tretton using those exact words.

Not to say Sony won't be supporting it, I'm sure this thing's got a marketing plan pretty well set out (I'd hope so if you paid the stupid amount of money it must cost to get the final commercial break on The Walking Dead's season finale) that's going to be reasonably huge. But they're gonna be spending their E3 face time most likely covering their indie initiative, the unveiling of the box and cost of the PS4, and concentrating a whole lot on their next gen stuff period. Mentions and a trailer in the "PS3" section of the conference is the most I can see for it.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 18, 2013

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Already preordered my disc version of this game, Naughty Dog are one of the best developers out there so I have absolute confidence that at the very least, I will enjoy the game. I do like that fact that in one year Troy Baker has already appeared in two games where he's getting a young woman to somewhere, very conincidental. :)

I completely forgot this game was having multiplayer as well, but will give it a shot but I'm rarely committed to that sort of thing.

Theophagy
Apr 1, 2007
Kind of like chicken.
They could have done so many different interesting things with the idea of fungus-infected humans and instead they went for generic zombies. The game looks cool as gently caress otherwise though.

Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Just a note for the OP: The Survival DLC pack is actually a Gamestop exclusive bonus. It comes with any edition, not just the Post-Pandemic. Sights and Sounds is a generic preorder bonus you get everywhere (At least in NA.)

Also for anyone who normally orders online, this game comes out on a Friday. So if you're not getting overnight shipping, you might want to go retail or PSN or you may have to wait through the weekend.

Alright thanks for the heads up, it's been corrected.

I don't think that there is any part of this game I'm not excited about. The environments, the combat, the characters, It all looks so drat good. I love the infected based on design alone. Pacing does seem like it could be a little off though, and I hope the full game has more variety. The gameplay shown so far seems to involve either fighting or scrounging and not much else.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Bit worried about the "Ammo is scarce, weapons degrade!! Even items that would never loving degrade in real life like bricks and iron pipes because gameplay!!"

Other than that looks sweet though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks to the exclusive demo coming soon, I don't feel so bad about purchasing God of War: Ascension any more.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I never had any particular motivation to buy a PS3, but ever since I started seeing trailers for this, I have been thinking about it.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

abigserve posted:

Bit worried about the "Ammo is scarce, weapons degrade!! Even items that would never loving degrade in real life like bricks and iron pipes because gameplay!!"

Other than that looks sweet though.

Agreed. I wouldn't say it ruins the game, but it adds an annoying play mechanic at a really heavy cost to realism: "Well, I just beat up three guys with my lead pipe, time to look for another one I guess." It makes even less sense in sci-fi games like System Shock 2, where high-tech super-advanced far-future military lazor pistols have less reliability than 17th-century blunderbuss guns did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're 20 year post catastrophe unmaintained pipes.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Starblind posted:

Agreed. I wouldn't say it ruins the game, but it adds an annoying play mechanic at a really heavy cost to realism: "Well, I just beat up three guys with my lead pipe, time to look for another one I guess." It makes even less sense in sci-fi games like System Shock 2, where high-tech super-advanced far-future military lazor pistols have less reliability than 17th-century blunderbuss guns did.

Not that it isn't annoying, but the notion that "they don't make things like they used to" isn't entirely unrealistic.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I never had any particular motivation to buy a PS3, but ever since I started seeing trailers for this, I have been thinking about it.

I've been a die-hard Anti-Sony and PS3 nut since they destroyed SWG. But this game alone caused me to cave in, so I bought one. And I'm playing Dust514 till it comes out. I played the demo at Comic-Con and was instantly hooked on it even though the demo was only 10 minutes and one scene. But drat, it was wicked.

I hope the pacing is right, just can't do a stuttering horror game, it ruins the atmosphere.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How does gamesharing work exactly with digital releases? I very, very, VERY rarely use my PS3 but am super-interested in this game. It'd be awesome to be able to split the cost with someone. Do I need PS+?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Little Mac posted:

How does gamesharing work exactly with digital releases? I very, very, VERY rarely use my PS3 but am super-interested in this game. It'd be awesome to be able to split the cost with someone. Do I need PS+?

No, it works fine without it. It's the same as any other sharing.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

BriceFxP posted:

I've been a die-hard Anti-Sony and PS3 nut since they destroyed SWG. But this game alone caused me to cave in, so I bought one. And I'm playing Dust514 till it comes out. I played the demo at Comic-Con and was instantly hooked on it even though the demo was only 10 minutes and one scene. But drat, it was wicked.

I hope the pacing is right, just can't do a stuttering horror game, it ruins the atmosphere.

I'd highly recommend you track down the Uncharted series and give it a shot if you haven't done so already. There's a very good reason the PlayStation General thread used to have the subtitle of "Play the Uncharted games in sequential order."

My only complaint is that it seems a lot of the top talent got moved to Last of Us during UC3's development and holy god did it show. The game's still good, it just isn't as better compared to UC2 as UC2 was to UC1.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't even say Uncharted 3 was at all better than 2. Still a solid action-platformer, but the ending was all sorts of lame and the writing got kind of flimsy at various points.

Still, cautiously excited for this.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Little Mac posted:

If one other person has your account on their PS3, then they'll be able to share any digital games that you own. They don't even have to be logged in as you, so you could play co-op or online with a single copy this way.

I don't know if this game requires a Network Pass, and I'm unsure if those can be shared as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They can.

Also normally you want to make a new account for a share.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

Grinnblade posted:

I'd highly recommend you track down the Uncharted series and give it a shot if you haven't done so already. There's a very good reason the PlayStation General thread used to have the subtitle of "Play the Uncharted games in sequential order."

My only complaint is that it seems a lot of the top talent got moved to Last of Us during UC3's development and holy god did it show. The game's still good, it just isn't as better compared to UC2 as UC2 was to UC1.

Thanks I'll check it out. I do know that I loved AC3 on the PS3, was much more fun than when I had played it on my PC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That loving Sned posted:

If one other person has your account on their PS3, then they'll be able to share any digital games that you own. They don't even have to be logged in as you, so you could play co-op or online with a single copy this way.

I don't know if this game requires a Network Pass, and I'm unsure if those can be shared as well.

Here's a quick rundown.

Make a new gmail account.
Make a new PSN account using this gmail account.
Find someone else who wants the game.
Pool together 60 bucks (30 each) and buy it on this new account.
Log into the new account one at a time on both PS3s and download The Last of Us.
Put it in your download queue.
Log out and sign into your original account.
Last of Us will download and install while you're on your normal account.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I'm really put off by the 'horror' theme that's being thrown around. Like is this game going to be all jump-scares and dim lighting in tight spaces, or is it more 'horror' as in 'horrifying view of the future'? Bear in mind I can't even make it through Bioshock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It has blind fungus zombies and moments where you need to sneak through pitch black rooms with a flashlight.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am thankful that I somehow missed the press about this game earlier - I only heard about this title a few weeks ago and already the wait is unbearable. With that said, I am kind of sad that this game is coming out so close to the PS4's release. Buying a game so close to the system becoming redundant seems kind of like a bad investment... I still have my old "fat" PS3 and I feel like I am always rolling the dice whenever I boot it up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am thankful that I somehow missed the press about this game earlier - I only heard about this title a few weeks ago and already the wait is unbearable. With that said, I am kind of sad that this game is coming out so close to the PS4's release. Buying a game so close to the system becoming redundant seems kind of like a bad investment... I still have my old "fat" PS3 and I feel like I am always rolling the dice whenever I boot it up.

Counterpoint. Some of the PS2's best games came out incredibly close or after the PS3 came out. Look at the Yakuza or Persona games. It's better than what Nintendo did, and that is they dropped Wii support just about completely when the Wii-U came out. And the Wii-U is still taking time to get on its legs.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I got to play through an alpha demo of this at a little Sony-organised event at a nearby Game store. (Dunno if it was the same demo that comes with God of War).
It was very fun! The section I played was very much a linear kind of affair but I guess that's to be expected for a demo.
Felt a little like Uncharted control-wise, only much darker and scarier. You can fight stuff, but you're pretty weak and you learn pretty quickly that spending a little bit of time being sneaky and careful is better than having your face eaten for the 10th time in a row by a guy with a major fungal infection. You can do stealth kills on enemies, but it's tricky (in a fun way) and the weapons you use for them are consumed - for example you can make shivs using scissors and tape, but the shivs get consumed when used, so you can't just expect to murder every enemy you come across like Big Boss would. You can also just smash things heads in with bricks, which is satisfying. I was impressed enough to break my 'no preordering anything ever' rule.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Uncharted games are a good example of all flash and no substance so I'm worried about this one. I hope it actually ends up good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They just put out a new dev diary thing which goes more into the crafting and survival system. For instance you can use same materials to craft different things like bandages or molotovs (alcohol+rag or alcohol+bottle respectively) and it seems like there's quite a bit of depth to it. There are also mines filled with nails and scissors and shivs can be used to unlock doors for exploration and for the possibility of getting more crafting materials.

And I had no idea they got Gustavo Santaolalla to score the game. That's awesome.

Theophagy posted:

They could have done so many different interesting things with the idea of fungus-infected humans and instead they went for generic zombies. The game looks cool as gently caress otherwise though.
They have. The "stage 1" infected are not far from shambling corpses but the really far gone infected are pretty out there with their heads split open and stuff growing from them. I wouldn't be too worried, if there's something Naughty Dog's art team doesn't do, it's generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The fungal infections remind me a lot of the Ganados in Resident Evil 4, which also replaced zombies with something far more effective and memorable. At first they could be mistaken for human beings, but once you shoot the head off one and a huge bladed tentacle erupts from the stump, then it becomes far more deadly. They even had different variants of the Las Plagas, such as the spider that could detach from the body once it dies, or the type that can simply bite your head clean off your body.

I also love the concept of fungus as a cause of the apocalypse, which was also in the Studio Ghibli film Nausicaa. Most of the world is uninhabitable due to the high concentration of spores, that when inhaled would grow inside you and eventually kill you. With a respiratory mask, it's possible to explore the beautiful ruined world, full of rich colours and organic growth. If The Last of Us is able to create a world as deadly and beautiful, then it's going to be amazing to explore.

• Locked thread