Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

Dragon's Prophet is a game made by Runewaker (Runes of Magic, a solid if blatant WoW ripoff). It is native to Taiwan however the NA version is being produced by SOE (though not developed). The NA site is http://dragonsprophet.com and the EU site is http://dragonspropheteurope.com. The 2 betas are confusingly running parallel to each other however accounts/SC/characters are not transferrable and not being produced by the same company. Most goons will be NA on the Kronos server, both EU and NA went open beta May 30th. Both betas are currently running only 2 patches behind Taiwan and most beta problems are related to localization, the first 2 pages of this thread were from Closed Beta where a LOT more things were not localized at all.

Goon guild name is Dragoons(eh? EH??) on Kronos and go to the guild guy (flag icon) to apply. synirc#dragonsprophet (Mux)

General Info
This is a standard MMO with quest hubs and ! over people's heads. What separates it and makes it interesting, to me, are two things:

One is there are open world pvp zones AND player housing. But not the lovely player housing where you just zone into a private instance and all your poo poo is in some predefined place and nobody gives a gently caress about your house. No, these houses are all in open pvp zones, and not only that but each pvp island has its own governing castles that set taxes and rent and can be owned and taken over.

Two is the pokemon system. The general idea of this game is that you collect "dragons" to be your pets and your mounts. However "dragons" has been expanded to include a wide variety of things as "dragonkin" including in the first newbie zones pre-20: 2 different types of rhinos, a flying bird, a flying lizard, a raptor, 2 different kinds of bat-winged gliders and a crocodile-like lizard. You will have a (true) flying mount before you hit level 20. Everything you capture has its own combat skills and gives you a skill usually as well, every one of them can also be a mount.

More interestingly about the pokemon system is these guys serve as your SWTOR/NWO workers and go collect poo poo. Even FURTHER is the fact that all classes are DPS-based and stuff like taunt and heal are "dragon soul" skills that your pet gives you when it's on the active bar. You will spend hours hunting for the perfect pokemon dragon that has X skill and Y number of empty slots if you're anything like me. Finally your pokemon have their own stats and can be trained and cross-trained with another dragon to create the perfect frankenstein.

Races(?):
Human. That's it. Extremely extensive customization though (SIX!! sliders relating to breasts! GOTY)

Classes:
All classes are DPS-focused, you get heals exclusively through Dragon Soul Skills and Taunt as well. You also get other attack skills through Soul Skills but more on that later.

Guardian: Physical Melee, wear heavy armor. Constant damage and a lot of control skills (knockup, stun, bash). Solid if unremarkable, my preference.
Oracle: Magic Melee, wear cloth. They poo poo damage pretty much constantly. They can also be surprisingly tanky if built for it but by default have fairly low hp.
Ranger: Physical Ranged, wear light armor. They are kind of weird in that you aren't standing back shooting arrows most of the time, they have 2 different knockup melee skills.
Sorceror: Magic Ranged, wear cloth. I couldn't get a feel for them but they are the true stand back and nuke class.

Combat:
Finally, another twist on generic MMOs is the fact that it's ACTION RPG(tm) style. It's open target locking with parries and side rolls. All but warrior get a backstep particular to their class and warriors can parry (and get a free knockup on success). Coming from NWO it was a minor adjustment, rolls are less forgiving and things will definitely kill you faster.

Starting Location:
When you finish your character you are given a choice of 3 starting zones, from left to right:
You of course opt to skip the tutorial because it's like TERA's in that it is both poo poo and confusing. You are boosted to 45 and given all billion skills which you have no idea how to use.
Saturna: second zone added and the one I played in CB. I got to 25 when I finished all the quests.
Bakra: middle zone and the first added - I have only played to the teens but it felt much more polished.
Hoth or something: righthand ZOMBIE ZONE, just added in open beta. VERY ROUGH START as it gives you a grand total of 4 quests then sends you off to a SYSNAME100014 which is actually a pretty tough dungeon. It evens out after that but I recommend staying away for a first character.

Dragons and poo poo:
When you see a "dragon" you can use your Dragon Taming skill. This leads you to a minigame where you are a cowboy in a rodeo and there's a little circle you need to TAP rapidly (not hold) WASD to keep the icon inside the center circle. When the righthand red bar fills up you win. If the time at the bottom runs out (determined by your CHA) OR you run out of DRAGON POWER (orange bar, also seen on the lefthand side of the minigame) you lose.

Dragons can have 1 or 2 (rare) "soul skills", these are denoted by having purple icons. This is where a bunch of different heals, heal over time, buffs, damage and taunt exist. If a dragon has one of these skills and it is in your active bar (P) then you can then go to skills screen (K) and put it on your hotbar. I recommend looking for a heal over time as they not only give health but AP (blue bar, needed to do anything beside mouseclick combos). I also recommend looking for a buff for your primary attribute (Dragon [Attribute] is the name) which give a +20 and +1% aura 10 minute buff to a specific attribute (int for magic, str for physical).

Dragons can also serve as pets, you can summon any of the ones you have on active bar at any time, the amount of time they are allowed to spend is determined by your CHA, it can be as little as 2 minutes up to 13 minutes. When time is up, they go back to rest and you CAN immediately summon them back but they take a stacking debuff if you do this, otherwise wait 1 minute until you resummon. The skills that are NOT dragon soul skills or tradeskill skills (below) are combat skills and are the ones they use when they are out as a pet. The good ones are a couple of paralyzing attacks and Life Reflux which is a heal over time they keep up on you constantly (it's not huge though it can be leveled).

And finally dragons can also be your workers and go find crafting mats in the world. There are skills that give them more bang for the buck when you send them out and these are the tradeskill stuff like Ore Mastery II which simply make it so when they get ore they get 20% more and so on.

There is a LOT more to cover regarding dragons but this is a huge amount of info already.

Enchanting and Shards:
Press Y. You can put any weapon/armor into the slot and start hammering the enchant button for 4 main attribute types. If you fail, max durability goes down. However max durability is one of the attributes you can pump on it (and I recommend you max it out). If you succeed you can get at least a 10-20% increase on primary stats for weapons/armor. You can also get orbs that increase chance. The SC/Insignia also improve chances.

Press J. You can put the shards from your shard tab into a piece of armor or a weapon. These are generally tiny improvmeents but can also be helpful like putting a +20 health in all the slots may end up giving you a sizable boost. It's free to put in but costs to take out. Still, use these as you level because shards sell for crap.

CASH SHOP PAY TO WIN PAY TO WIN.
The ONLY thing I have seen that requires SC AND is required to be relatively competitive is active dragon slots. However you can have dragons that have up to 2 skills and you start with 2 slots and you can only have 5 soul skills equipped so you technically only need one. This is a whopping 45 us pennies. I might have missed it in the cash shop though in which case you can.....

As far as the cash shop is concerned you can pay with SC (cash money) or Insignia, which are gained from doing dailies and also from events. EVERYTHING YOU CAN BUY WITH SC YOU CAN BUY WITH INSIGNIA. Some of them are kinda ridiculously expensive but the option is there.

IS THIS GAME GOOD LOL
Yea it's surprisingly not poo poo.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at Jun 3, 2013 around 04:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boowon
Jan 30, 2013

Such a lovely retreat!

I've never heard of this before but Runes of Magic was alright. I'm a little bit busy today but this weekend is still pretty empty for me so gently caress it, I'm downloading it right now. Let's all train dragon rhinos together

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

I'll give it a shot, downloading now.

Schubalts
Nov 25, 2007

A beast to kill a beast...

I can say that it is a fun, but flawed game, being in the beta myself. The housing is ludicrous, and not in a good way, and recent changes to combat went way overboard. Do weekend preview folks get beta forum access?

Kvitrafn
Jul 16, 2012

I just stumbled across this game an hour ago, and I'm currently installing it.
Wondering about what this really is, and why on earth I haven't heard anything about it earlier, because dragons.

Are the servers down? I'm stuck at "connecting".

Kvitrafn fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 12:51

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Schubalts posted:

I can say that it is a fun, but flawed game, being in the beta myself. The housing is ludicrous, and not in a good way, and recent changes to combat went way overboard. Do weekend preview folks get beta forum access?

I don't know, I have actual beta access and don't know where the forums are. I believe the keys are permanent, just the giving of them is timed this weekend.

Kvitrafn posted:

I just stumbled across this game an hour ago, and I'm currently installing it.
Wondering about what this really is, and why on earth I haven't heard anything about it earlier, because dragons.

Are the servers down? I'm stuck at "connecting".

I hadn't heard a word about it either. Server(only one) is definitely up, playing now.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

Demerzel posted:

I don't know, I have actual beta access and don't know where the forums are. I believe the keys are permanent, just the giving of them is timed this weekend.

I hadn't heard a word about it either. Server(only one) is definitely up, playing now.

Any particular server to join, or place for goons to get together? I'm playing on the Euro region so I'm probably out anyway, but just curious.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Envy Insanity posted:

Any particular server to join, or place for goons to get together? I'm playing on the Euro region so I'm probably out anyway, but just curious.

There's only one server.

Curiously, there's a EU beta version completely separate from this NA one which is being published by SOE.

Completely unknown game with cool concepts and weird disconnected betas everywhere is giving me a serious Wushu deja vu.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

The european site seems to be hosed, and the alienware keys are eu/na specific.

Boowon
Jan 30, 2013

Such a lovely retreat!

This game has one of the worst tutorials I've ever played. I'm loving it.

edit: you guys weren't kidding. this feels almost alpha to me.

Boowon fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 13:56

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Downloading it now. If there is one thing SoE knows how to do, it's housing. I suppose the same could be said for 'ruining their games', but hey, I'll withhold judgment for now. I still gobble up SoE's poo poo.

e: Even the confirmation email is in beta! 'Congratulations STATIONNAME!'

Schubalts
Nov 25, 2007

You will be disappointed if you expect the housing to be like SoE's other games, unless they have a massive turnaround on its implementation.

Demerzel posted:

On the homepage it's under Community > Forums. You have to login to see the beta forums.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

^^ Thanks

Boowon posted:

This game has one of the worst tutorials I've ever played. I'm loving it.

edit: you guys weren't kidding. this feels almost alpha to me.

Yea the tutorial is really fuckin dumb because they just give you all your skills you'd have at lvl 45 which is a fuckton and you have no idea what you're doing. They actually had a different tutorial but then pulled it for whatever reason.

I dunno about alpha - it's not really that bad honestly it's mostly missing a ton of localization text which is extremely noticeable in crafting and random items throughout the world. The dragons and their powers etc seem to be mostly done and fleshed out and the mechanics are solid enough if still needing tweaked.

That said yea it's rough but I think it's mostly localization work left.

Schubalts
Nov 25, 2007

Even the original Taiwanese version is still in beta (went open beta a week or so ago). It's only a few big patches ahead.

Boowon
Jan 30, 2013

Such a lovely retreat!

Demerzel posted:

I dunno about alpha - it's not really that bad honestly

Haha you're right. I'm just being flippant, but it's still pretty goofy. Almost everything that happens, I can't keep a straight face. It does have some problems though, like not playing a walk animation all the time when I'm trying to move around. Considering how early beta it is over here though, ain't no thang. That kind of stuff usually gets cleaned up fast.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

If you want a relaxing stroll through hordes of monsters, pick a warrior. I started out as a sorceror because gently caress I always play wizards, thought I was gettin pretty good with my freeze bolt combo stopping stuff till I blasted it down, only one at a time though.

I did a warrior and literally starting at lvl 10-15 you can keep groups of stuff practically permastunned. Not only that but just wearing level-appropriate greens I can actually take a shitton of punishment. I had to pull out John Woo moves on my mage if more than 1 thing showed up but on the warrior it's just add one more guy to the knockup.

Also if you want help on the newbie quest stuff I started on the lefthand one, forgot the name. But the righthand side gets little raptor pets first (I went over there to steal them).

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Guild Launch is giving away keys for the SOE US Beta and you don't even need to sign up.
http://community.guildlaunch.com/pr...s-prophet/beta/

e: Apparently I've been in beta since April but the site won't recognize that and keeps sending me into Beta Signup.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 20:16

Ikea
May 5, 2013

Oh this sounds fun, downloading now

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Dragon Soul skills can be crazy powerful and they can come in 2s on dragons. Any dragon can have any skills at least this moment so your first pet could be a monster or a crappy leather gatherer with 3 slots.

I just got one that gave me a recastable 10 minute +20 STR and a 1% aura AND a full self-heal for half my dragon bar (orange). Needless to say that is now my new best friend on my warrior who is STR-based.

Also after trying Ranger I don't think it's ranged that needs a buff it's specifically Sorceror. Ranger feels powerful as hell despite the forums full of crying about how badly it was nerfed (apparently they used to move and shoot at full speed! hahaha sorry I missed that). Maybe I just need to learn2play but I'm guessing based on the rough edges of other stuff that Sorceror is just flat underpowered.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

God was a dream of good government.

Man, this game feels rough for a beta but so far I like the mobility of the combat. It feels eastern MMO-y but with a lot of western design conceit which is a pretty decent mix, in my opinion. The only thing I wish is to have the ability to make a decent looking person.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Vanderdeath posted:

Man, this game feels rough for a beta but so far I like the mobility of the combat. It feels eastern MMO-y but with a lot of western design conceit which is a pretty decent mix, in my opinion. The only thing I wish is to have the ability to make a decent looking person.

There are lots of sliders to make your character look decent. Some of the preset faces are okay, others are uncanny valley. There was a post in the Skyrim sub-forum (that I can't find) explaining how to make things not-uncanny, but it boils down to facial proportions. The main thing is to remember that, generally speaking, the corners of the inside of the eyes line up with the edges of the nose, and the pupils of the eyes generally line up with the corners of the mouth.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

If you guys are playin this just post your name in here, I have no idea how to create a guild and I doubt there will be enough of us to justify it. However I can say this game is a lot more fun with other people.

Currently playin Waifu, an oracle.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at May 19, 2013 around 18:50

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

So this is the kind of game where I can be a wizard riding a velociraptor into battle against other players?

Sign me up!

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

AfroSquirrel posted:

So this is the kind of game where I can be a wizard riding a velociraptor into battle against other players?

Sign me up!

Yea this is exactly that kind of game.

Mounted (and aerial mounted) combat is even promised. However I sadly must recommend you do not play a wizard because they need love. Oracles are magic melee though and own if a bit slow to start.

The most solid starter is probably Ranger, they shoot crazy insane fast and tapping Q 3 times knocks poo poo up and you can do that like right out of the tutorial and then you get 1 (another 3-hit knockup combo) shortly after. The others take some time to get their combos going.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at May 19, 2013 around 18:53

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

God was a dream of good government.

Oracles feel beastly as all hell and I find myself enjoying this game thus far. I really like the freedom of the fighting system and doling out some sweet combos on unsuspecting dragons.

HFGoliath
Oct 21, 2010

Eve Goon. Interests: Small scale PVP / Solo PVP / efficiency.
Battleclinic: http://bit.ly/1azneoH
Eve Kill: http://bit.ly/18Mbael
Partner (SA sponsor for GSF) Eve Kill: http://bit.ly/57sdlAE

Does anyone know how much the real-money currency is going to cost? I'm debating getting one of the starter packs but I want to make sure it's worth it first.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

Oracles feel beastly as all hell and I find myself enjoying this game thus far. I really like the freedom of the fighting system and doling out some sweet combos on unsuspecting dragons.

Yea they are beastly AE plus they look sweet as gently caress doing anything at all. If you don't know, your Q->left click combo heals you a shitton. Once you get the Q/E combos it gets absolutely crazy.

HFGoliath posted:

Does anyone know how much the real-money currency is going to cost? I'm debating getting one of the starter packs but I want to make sure it's worth it first.

It's the same as what's on SOE, it's directly equivalent to cash eg 2000 = $20.00, the starter packs are just pledge money with a perk.

Schubalts
Nov 25, 2007

Don't buy any VIP pack for the houses. There is no guarantee that you'll even be able to grab a housing plot big enough to fit the houses, if you even manage to get a housing plot at all. The VIP dragons are also entirely vanity at the moment, with no skills.

Erak_Erakson
Mar 11, 2011

Is anyone else getting the "account is frozen" message when trying to log in? Or do I just need to be patient?

e: Never mind, had to use a specific key.

Erak_Erakson fucked around with this message at May 20, 2013 around 00:57

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Checking this out as a Guardian named RageGod.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gotta say the action combat is pretty fun in this game as a sorcerer. Shooting tons of balls at people is pretty ace especially once you set a lockon hotkey. In as Cheeto, is there a way to enable an aiming reticule? I think that would make the combat a bit better. The problem with the combat in this and most combat MMOs are the long stand still cast times for some abilities. That said it's pretty awesome when you can run around dodging things and charge up an ability, just to run into some dude and waterblast them in the face for a ton of damage.

If nothing else everyone should download this game for the absolutely brilliant character customization options:

Raxmus fucked around with this message at May 20, 2013 around 04:08

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

Erm, you have a problem with me hacking and ruining peoples' multiplayer games with my anime OC self-insert? Feh, I might as well be criticized by an insect.

Sadly can't get the game to load up after server selection. Ah well.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy

This has an interesting Dynasty Warriors-style feel to it. Yeah, it's pretty drat rough but it has a lot of ... "potential". Needless to say this is a very, very rough MMO. But if you have any desire to play a character that tames, rides and fights with dragons with only the vaguest of "action" combat mechanics then this might be fun.

Otherwise, my first two dragons (obtained in the first 30 minutes of the game) make me feel pretty

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
delicious bread

Raxmus posted:

If nothing else everyone should download this game for the absolutely brilliant character customization options:

Seconding this.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy

Oh yeah, tons of potential here.

This is the modern Arus.

Xexre fucked around with this message at May 20, 2013 around 05:31

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!

Tried it briefly and the combat is decently entertaining but somehow the game's overall feel is straight out of 2007. It honestly really reminds me of RYL, albeit (of course) with more fun combat. The rest of the game, the feel and looks, aren't really doing it for me though, and it's evidently really really early in localization as everything is pretty messy.

Might be worth watching later but as it is I can't really get into it.

Nimuri
Feb 5, 2013

I've played as an Oracle til lvl 9. I like the look and feel of the oracle, but I made an Archer out of curiosity. Archer is where its at. Quick ranged attacks while being able to walk backwards and never get hit. And any mob with lots of HP, or any group of monsters, you can can use your knockup combo and keep them permanently in the air.

Also, Ironclaw Dragon did not attack me at all, he just sat still while i held down left click for 3 minutes. That instance was painful on oracle, cake on Archer. Anyone having trouble with the melee classes should try Archer for a little while, its nice.

The Heckler
Jul 29, 2010

Combat feels very disconnected, there's no weight or feel behind any attacks. it's a shame because the actual mechanics are pretty good. The game as a whole felt very grindy from the get go. i spent most of my time waiting around for a frog to respawn so i can kill it and collect it's butt.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Guardian/Ranger have very, very fluid combat that I think feels meaty and flows well (COMBATFEEL). Guardian can literally keep things stunlocked indefinitely with knockups and hits while they're recovering to regain AP and Ranger flows beautifully from Qs to 1s to chargeup RMBs.

Oracle is incredibly powerful starting at 15 but it is all a small series of 2-3 hit combos with nothing to immediately follow up with so it feels somewhat halting. Sorceror I got to 17 and still don't feel like I got a good rotation going at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

I played this mostly all weekend and enjoyed it a LOT, way more than I thought I was going to. I haven't really put time into an MMO since WoW (a little bit into GW2) and I've tried a bunch of F2P stuff the past couple years but none of it really held my interest for more than a couple hours. Then the closed beta came along this weekend (got my key from PC Gamer)and I ended up putting about 12 hours into this before I realized what happened.

Positives:
1.) Combat is fun. Combos are a great idea and implemented well. I like being able to map most abilities to my 5 button mouse and pull off combos. I played a sorcerer and a ranger for 20 levels each, definitely had way more fun with the ranger, but I was probably missing some vital stuff/not pulling off combos skills with the sorcerer properly to really "flow" with that class.

2.) Flying mounts within like an hour of creating your character. I know, I was incredulous about this too. It's amazing to be able to get a flying mount right away, cuts out on a lot of early MMO game bullshit. Movement in general in this game is VERY generous, there's a sprint meter when you're on foot, and sprint abilities when you're on mounts. Never felt like I was plodding at all.

3.) Dragon pets are cool. Being able to tame almost any dragon you see is fun and keeps leveling/exploring interesting. I didn't get into training and kitting out my dragon too much but it seems like it will be very deep and just as important as your character progress.

Negatives:
1.) Engine/graphics look bad and are unoptimized. I was routinely getting FPS in the teens with my HD6800 and ATI Phenom. Maybe this will be tightened up by release but doubtful. Definitely not a good looking game.

2.) Quests are monotonous. Kill X of Y, Go fetch Z, you know the drill. Fortunately there are Public Quest style areas (think Warhammer Online) and also there are a liberal amount of dungeons throughout all levels. You can choose to solo a dungeon or group up (difficulty setting before you enter). Soloing a dungeon seemed pretty unbalanced though because there was an obvious brick wall that happened about halfway through that was impassable without a group.

Overall - solid F2P game, I'll definitely be giving it a crack upon release. And playing Ranger because stunlocks all day every day.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at May 20, 2013 around 17:20

«9 »