Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Verdun is awesome but really unstable. For some it runs nicely, for some it hardlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

I guess the problem with these games is, you give everyone a bolt action rifle, what person is going to think "welp, better run in and charge with this fucker".

This wasn't an issue in the first RO.

The bayonet was the most accurate closer quarters weapon in the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sperglord Actual posted:

Gumrak Station.

Yep, that's the one.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Panzeh posted:

I guess the problem with these games is, you give everyone a bolt action rifle, what person is going to think "welp, better run in and charge with this fucker".

I had lots of success just running into places with the rifle and beating/stabbing everyone to death.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Commoners posted:

I had lots of success just running into places with the rifle and beating/stabbing everyone to death.

Nobody ever really seems to expect it, at least not in close quarters. You'll probably lose if the guy has an SMG (or sometimes a machine gun), but normally facing guys with bolt-action rifles, they tend to either try and aim a shot that takes too long or fire a missed hip shot and have to cycle the next round before you shank them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mans posted:

This wasn't an issue in the first RO.

The bayonet was the most accurate closer quarters weapon in the game.

Then they made it so that you have to use the stupid-rear end leveling system to get the bayonet in RO2. :argh: Now CQC with bolt actions is slap fights with rifle butts and the occasional bayonet.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

closeted republican posted:

Then they made it so that you have to use the stupid-rear end leveling system to get the bayonet in RO2. :argh: Now CQC with bolt actions is slap fights with rifle butts and the occasional bayonet.

I had a huge issue with this back when I first started playing but it only took me like a night to get the bayonet on my favorite rifles and I hardly see a bolt-action rifle without one anymore. I do still miss it being a conscious decision to mount it or not though, and having it actually affect accuracy. Fixing bayonets in preparation of a close quarters fight was one of my favorite moments in RO1.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ArchRanger posted:

I had a huge issue with this back when I first started playing but it only took me like a night to get the bayonet on my favorite rifles and I hardly see a bolt-action rifle without one anymore. I do still miss it being a conscious decision to mount it or not though, and having it actually affect accuracy. Fixing bayonets in preparation of a close quarters fight was one of my favorite moments in RO1.

I remember Verdun being a free to play online game in the unity engine, and it was on a lot flash game sites. Now its a full standalone game you download?
I tried looking at the official Verdun game page but it didnt explain much regarding my question.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How does Verdun even work with player counts being very low for WWI combat? Wouldn't a single MG just slaughter the poo poo out of anyone who tries to advance?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
What's the player count in a Verdun game?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

How does Verdun even work with player counts being very low for WWI combat? Wouldn't a single MG just slaughter the poo poo out of anyone who tries to advance?

Since almost everything is in trenches, not really, it's easy enough to pop your head over and put a well aimed rifle shot into their head. At least, with the German MG... the French get the Chauchat, so...

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
There was actually fighting between infantry in WW1 too, battles did not solely consist of each side taking turns running in front of machine gun nests and getting blown up by artillery.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What's the player count in a Verdun game?

Latest patch bumped the max per game from 24 to 32.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Sperglord Actual posted:

Latest patch bumped the max per game from 24 to 32.

Man that just cost them an early sale. That's lovely.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Man that just cost them an early sale. That's lovely.

Why is more players per match in a WWI game lovely? I've not heard of the game until now so genuinely curious.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he wanted more, not less.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Yup.

Anybody got any spare cards they don't want?

http://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new/?partner=45064613&token=lBVmB28k

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there any way to go into observer mode and just look at a map locally? I'd like to use a few as references for building some model buildings.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Mega patch with tanks, new guns and maps!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Qerman MG 42 Light Machinegun
Soviet T-70 Light Tank
German Panzer IIIM Light/Medium Tank
Contest Map: Kobura - Americans defending a jungle airstrip in Burma against ferocious Japanese assault
Contest Map: Tula Outskirts - a remake of an old favorite from RO1, with Germans attacking dug-in Russians
Updated map for new tanks: Arad 2 now updated to showcase the new T-70 and Pz III

It only took them three years to barely accomplish their release promises :eyepop:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

I am not sure history went like that but.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Does anyone actually play this game anymore? Is it worth installing it again?

I'm still not paying for Rising Storm, so all I got is free bolt action mode on those maps.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

haha thanks for finishing your dead gay game three years after the fact Tripwire

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
So, Red Orchestra 2 with Rising Storm is like $5 on Steam right now. Is it worth getting if I want to scratch that WWII FPS itch?

e: misread something on Steam

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

So, Red Orchestra 2 with Rising Storm is like $5 on Steam right now. Is it worth getting if I want to scratch that WWII FPS itch?

e: misread something on Steam

Well if you have a WWII fps itch I think it's the only game that will scratch that!
As long as you take this game with its faults you can get enjoyment out of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Le0 posted:

Well if you have a WWII fps itch I think it's the only game that will scratch that!
There's also the original Red Orchestra.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Oh yeah that's right, also Darkest Hours got an update like last week :confused:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Le0 posted:

I know there's other games out there, but I've had my eye on the Red Orchestra series for a while now and I was wondering if this latest installment was any good.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's got a fair few years on it, though, hasn't it? How big is the community for it?

Le0 posted:

Oh yeah that's right, also Darkest Hours got an update like last week :confused:

While I was checking this I felt like seeing if any games I used to play still had active mods and it turns out that some mods for Battlefield 1942 are still updating :stare:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you like playing on the two (2) servers that are still active and not 90% filled with bots yeah.

Using that logic you can also play Mare Nostrum :v:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://forums.jackbootgames.com/showthread.php?7386-Darkest-Hour-Europe-44-45-Returns

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
An MG42 firing at your general vicinity makes you hate the suppression mechanic real fast.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

those new tanks must be really loving awesome considering it took them three years to put them in the game!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

folgore posted:

An MG42 firing at your general vicinity makes you hate the suppression mechanic real fast.

Also Tripwire's love of gimmicks and anachronisms.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Oh come on. If we push the date a bit, we get the most iconic machinegun ever built.

I say, worth it.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
One of my favorite things from the RO2 beta/early days was that if you were a tank and playing on a server with anti-cheat detection you had a high chance of getting banned due to your AI hull machine gunner killing enemies.

It was also lethal as gently caress and walking/peeking in front of or a tank basically meant you were going to get killed. Since then i think they made it an option you can set in the server config (Accuracy of the ai gunners) but I don't think they did anything about the possibility of getting banned for aimbotting.

The tank stuff was always pretty gorey like the rest of the game in RO2 and especially being able to take a hit, go into first person and see the gunner cut in half and the inside of the tank covered in blood.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Does anyone seriously use the PTRS-41 for anti-tank work? I've found it's much easier to ditch the stupid thing ASAP, then sneak near an enemy tank and blow them up with AT grenades. By the time a tank is in range for the PTRS-41 to actually do serious damage to it, it's simply a lot easier to close the remaining distance and lob a few AT nades at them. Plus, a single grenade can often disable it or straight-up OHKO it without having to aim at a tiny portion of the tank.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Use the PTRS as a sniper rifle.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Vahakyla posted:

Use the PTRS as a sniper rifle.

This is one of the most fun things to do in the Red Orchestra games.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hey so in Rising Storm I don't get the kill ticker in the righthand corner like in RO showing who is killing who, it only shows the kills/deaths I'm directly involved in.

Is this some sort of Rising Storm design decision or are they punishing me for being one of the rifleman-only club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Most of the current servers use that. Some of the RO2 servers, too.

It is an option for a host, and the way I for example prefer it.

• Locked thread