Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Rising Storm is a first person shooter multi player game based on the Pacific campaign of 1941-45. It takes place in several, famous strategic locations. The game covers the famous island-hopping campaigns in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945 as the US Army and Marine Corps fight it out with the Imperial Japanese army and Special Naval Landing Forces. Featuring some of the most brutal fighting in the Pacific theater, players are able to experience beach assaults, jungle fighting, close quarters night fighting and more across Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Saipan.

Official Trailer

Gameplay Footage

Where to find RS Goons:
Mumble Server: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554 (Registered Users Only)
Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonswhoplayrisingstorm

Maps:
Guadalcanal
Hanto
Iwo Jima
Kwajalein
Peleliu - The air field assault from The Pacific series.
Saipan

Screenshots:

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

@Questioner86: As you can see TW has a horrible reputation around here.

Tripwire didn't actually develop the game themselves. It was developed by modders in the community with some TW devs.

http://www.risingstormgame.com/crew

quote:

Rising Storm is being created in a first-of-its-kind collaboration between a mod team and a professional game development studio. The Rising Storm team is made up of the best independent developers from the modding community and several members of the development team at Tripwire Interactive.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 18, 2013

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If by "first-of-its-kind" they mean "Valve did this for Team Fortress Classic and Counterstrike and Day of Defeat and Alien Swarm and Mojang did this for the Bukkit server team and I think Tripwire did this for Killing Floor" then... yes?

This doesn't have a release date yet, does it? I'm not buying it but I do want to play my free Rifleman class (aka my free "whatever gun I want because I can just follow idiots around and pick up their guns" class) to see how the game has turned out. I guess they're jumpy about setting a release date after the whole RO2 debacle, eh?

By first of its kind they probably mean the community modders and developers worked side by side for the initial development of the game.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

milk man posted:

If they are any good at all they'll mark it themselves. You can immediately detect a terrible commander if they are moaning about other people not marking for them.
Those are the commanders who think they're a loving General. They like to hide in the radio bunker giving out orders, calling in recon planes and demanding squad leaders mark artillery for them so they can rack up kills without ever leaving the safety of their little bunker.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Nitrox posted:

Didn't the RO2 Beta played drastically different from the end product? If tat's true, I'd hold off on preordering RS...
The RO2 beta was an omen for the RO2 release. The beta didn't work the day it was released and the poo poo ball continued to roll down hill from there.

So far there haven't been any major problems with the RS beta. I haven't had any issues with it other than some fps loss when it first came out and it crashed on me once.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Tripwire has made their first smartest decision. Team kills are now -2 points and wounding is -1 point. The best part is forgiving a team kill will remove the point penalty.

Yes I know people are going to be sperging when you don't forgive them.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

moths posted:

What's the likelihood of modders crossing the streams with servers running US/ Germany or Japan / Russia?
It's inevitable; you just know someone is going to make another Omahaha map.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Rei_ posted:

edit: And the game's website and the first post in this thread just so the same stuff, the same basic loving explanation and some pretty screenshots.
Holy poo poo! You actually read the op? That is a loving miracle, no one ever reads those stupid things.

About your frustrations:

1. You need to learn the maps. I've been playing RO since 2003 and I was having a hard time until I learned the maps.

2. Move from cover to cover and zig zag. Running out in the open in straight lines will get you killed.

3. Hold down T to see where and how far objectives are and press M to see the overhead map.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 2, 2013

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Saw some level 80 guy today, looks like Marine hero's have camo.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Zotix posted:

Is this great jolly good fun? PCgamer gave it a good review and I'm contemplating picking it up.
If you liked RO:Ostfront or DH you will probably like this. If you hated RO2 you may like this better.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Cable posted:

Can it be possible that I have to actually unlock realism mode? Bc in the filters every other mode than Action appears grayed out
Yes, you have to unlock realism mode. Tripwire thinks that new players need to play action mode to transition to realism mode. This is just typical incompetence from their president.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

moths posted:

I don't know what the gently caress happened, but I saw an American with a flamethrower, so I crouched behind a doorway and peeped out just as he came bolting through the doorway on fire, then dropped and left a horrifying charred corpse. It was no 30 second bleed-out, but goddamn that left an impression.
The flamethrower sets surrounding surfaces on fire, he could have stepped into one of his own little fires too long and burned for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Accuracy stats in RO2 are hosed. Stats in RS seem more correct.

• Locked thread