Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game needs a way to block with your sword and rifles. That way we'd get some sick meele fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

I feel like we as a group should move beyond teamkilling and whining about it.

In Chivalry, TK is just a part of the game that happens all the time and mostly, people just roll with it. In case of RO and its mods, we have a chaotic battlefield with unclear positions. Friendly fire happens. War is hell.

I have made it a habit to just automatically forgivea TK unless it was clearly malicious spawn griefing. Other than that, I rest my case with the phrase of "war is hell".

People who complain about TK never played RO1.

Good luck capturing a point when half your team is sending grenades right into your face.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jb7 posted:

It's not racist to include banzai charges and suicide attacks, but they do get a certain subset of players to start yelling stuff like "FUCKA YOO GEE EEYYYEEE!" or "THOSE SLANT-EYED CUNTS ARE CHARGING, GUN EM DOWN!"

The weird thing, it's probably realistic.

It's a bit of a paradox. Obviously you shouldn't throw out racist insults while playing RO or RS but not even the most PC person would avoid them if they were on the frontlines :v:

But on the other hand, they're not. They're dudes sitting in a chair. Servers that ban you for swearing are idiotic, but there's a line that separates swearing and being a racist poo poo.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spaceships posted:

wears a vagina on his chin

That's the only way he'll be near bush.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do some kind goons want to make a thread in private games to give other goons some BETA keys? :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://steamcommunity.com/id/midnight_tornado

Get me in this beta :getin:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One annoying bug i found is that if you get left behind when the enemy caps a point and you're placed outside the combat zone and get the red vision warning even when you fall back your vision will still be red.

You play the rest of your life with Terminator vision. While annoying this is also a major exploit, since in night maps you can see everyone clearly, allowing you to pick the enemy apart.

Sometimes this works with the regular warning too. Basically if you want to exploit the gently caress out of night matches all you need to do is flank, get the red vision warning and repeat it until your vision is permanently red.

I hope they fix this even if it's kind of awesome to pretend i'm the Predator or something.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate the Arisaka sights. The boxed in sights makes me overshoot because i think the top iron bit is the actual aim. gently caress.

The Springfield suffers from this but not as bad.

I miss my Mosin.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Double Bill posted:

Uh what, according to the Steam page the release is tomorrow? That was... sudden.

And not a single tank was made.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

Do you remember what the other two (?) mods were going to be? They were only mentioned a few times in the first years of RO2 but I can't remember what. Gurkhas or Australians maybe?

Vietnam and world war I.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

An Enormous Boner posted:

Also Rising Storm is a lot more fun as a game.

No joke, i don't think i can go back to RO2 after this. The maps and game mechanics are just too good. Why the gently caress do i want to go back to the peek-a-boo game that punishes me for attacking a point (because you have to putz around in the open for minutes even if you don't want to).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first Red Orchestra had plenty of decent cover and the reduced aiming abilities allowed you a lot more freedom.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Le0 posted:

So now that the SDK for RS has been released I was toying with the idea of making a map cause well I had fun trying to do stuff for RO2 but kinda lost interest at the time.

What would you say are good maps in RS and exactly what does make them so?

The vegetation and debris\trees\rocks allows you to sneak and try different angles of approach to a problem. To me, a good RS map allows you plenty of concealed movement to those who want to do so. I also like the variety of the maps. There's areas that allow for longe range fire support but all points are composed of buildings and trenches, allowing for a wide firefight from multiple distances.

I assume making maps for RS must be much more difficult than RO2,mainly because the first game had so many maps you could base your ideas on.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you seriously complaining about a mil sim in the game where one side gets 150% damage resistance when they charge?

Really, you want to get better at this game just press shift+meele, yell until you reach a safe point, heal,aim and rest. Do it again until you're dead or caping the point.

Listen to Voip, steal all smoke grenades you find on the floor and use them to help your comrades, always try to shoot with support and expose the least of your body as possible.

This game is not a mil slim, this game is Bad Company 2 with less auto firing weapons and soldiers with bad knees.

Rei_ posted:

I'm learning the game more so I'm starting to have a bit more fun, but it's just annoying when it's like WHERE DID I DIE FROM (The camera zooms in on a shrub miles away from anything important) OH, OKAY.
That's how you learn the maps. By trial of fire. That's Red Orchestra for ya.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, speed hacks are much more common in RS and the combat area is draconic for those who are left behind when a point is captured. Otherwise this game is what RO2 should be (fun and good)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KildarX posted:

-Grenades feel like they have a REALLY small kill radius. Shouldn't these things be throwing shrapnel every where?

In RO1 they had a ~15 meter radius kil-zone. They were nerfed to hell. I'd like for a bit more stopping power though, grenades are useless other than mines nowadays.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because good players would be banned from every server because pubbies would eat them raw.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish MaoistLeninist would come back and play Rising Storm while blasting Chinese propaganda music like he did in Red Orchestra 2. The pubbie reaction was hilarious then, now would be even better.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Japanese hero looks loving badass. I can't NOT follow him in a banzai charge every time i see him.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, this game is amazing and it's sad that RO2 made it so unpopular by infamy.

Banzai charging will never get old.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry that you're so wrong. Chopping people with katanas is great fun.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Nothing like getting killed by a friendly sniper when you are wearing a Japanese bandanna and using knee mortars behind the front line.

This was actually improved over the first Red Orchestra, where the majority of casualties were due to friendly fire and caping an objective was frenzied dance of dodging grenades coming from both sides!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this game still popular? It's a shame it was released after RO2.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dear God Red Orchestra has a Search and Destroy game-mode

Oh dear me hahahahahahahahaha when did this poo poo happen?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neorxenawang posted:

What does that even mean? I've played a few times over the last two weeks, and I haven't seen such a thing.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=97787

It's the counter strike mode where teams with no re spawn have to either plant a bomb or defuse it.

The lack of inspiring ideas coming from Tripwire is just depressing and is a terrible sign for the fate of KF2

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll play before i'll knock it further but i don't understand how RO can fit a S&D mode, with all the one hit kills and easiness to conceal yourself.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha good effort Tripwire, had you done it when people actually had faith in you you'd probably still have some credibility instead of a 8 gig patch no one will download.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tracula posted:

It's sad looking at the Tripwire facebook since everyone there is just on their knees for them rather than saying "You assholes hosed up and only care about your stupid zombie game."

They don't. They released two weak updates since the summer with little to no effort in an attempt at grabbing that sweet DLC money and then forgot about the game. KF is really dead atm too.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.pcgamesn.com/red-orchestra-2-will-be-free-forever-steam-so-long-you-click-button-tomorrow

Free Red Orchestra to anyone who gives a toss about clicking a button.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't carrying with both arms be less tiring in the long run?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mushball posted:

How exactly should I throw my smoke grenades as squad leader? I think I'm throwing them short because the smoke would mask my squad's approach, but after they leave the smoke they would be wide open to fire.

Otori Shima looks nice but the objectives seem way too spread out to allow for defense. The first cap is almost immediately overrun because the American team can't reach the point and take up defensive positions when the round starts.

In maps like Apartments or Trainstation you want to smoke Axis firing positions, mainly the buildings. This forces the Axis forces to either abandon the area to actually see you or defend blindly, allowing you to attack at close range.

In open maps like Bridges of Druzina it pays to play as the defending force for a bit to see where all the sweet spots are. Knowing that you'll know where to smoke to neutralize them, allowing your herd of pubbies to progress with more safety.

Always try to use smoke to irritate the best firing positions of the enemy.

EvilHobo posted:

I got my Nagant revolver fun from renaming myself to PISTOLEER, throwing away all of my weapons aside from the pistol at spawn, and going around popping Mkb42 wielders.
This gun is still so loving retarded. I still feel like i'm playing Call of Duty, just mowing down people left and right with impunity. Long distance? No problem. Short range? No problem. House clearing? Sure thing. Quick reload? Hell yeah.

They might as well add a AK-47 prototype to the Soviets, since that gun is as historical as the proto-AK.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Make sure to be marking arty spots as SL as well, generally if you can get to a high spot, look for an area that a lot of the enemies are walking through in order to get to their defensive positions.
If you're not sure how to best do this point at an area with binoculars and then open the map screen, you'll see your artillery spot there and then you can fine-tune the position as you see fit.

The best way to call for artillery is when the commander calls for a recon plane. Aim for the areas with a healthy number of "!"s.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

I wonder if InCountry Vietnam will help revive some interest in the game.

All of RO2 is good in my opinion and I'd wish for more active communities and more servers.

They took literal years to develop half tracks.

InCountry plans on using helicopters.

InCountry will never be released.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

I guess the problem with these games is, you give everyone a bolt action rifle, what person is going to think "welp, better run in and charge with this fucker".

This wasn't an issue in the first RO.

The bayonet was the most accurate closer quarters weapon in the game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he wanted more, not less.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Qerman MG 42 Light Machinegun
Soviet T-70 Light Tank
German Panzer IIIM Light/Medium Tank
Contest Map: Kobura - Americans defending a jungle airstrip in Burma against ferocious Japanese assault
Contest Map: Tula Outskirts - a remake of an old favorite from RO1, with Germans attacking dug-in Russians
Updated map for new tanks: Arad 2 now updated to showcase the new T-70 and Pz III

It only took them three years to barely accomplish their release promises :eyepop:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There's also the original Red Orchestra.

If you like playing on the two (2) servers that are still active and not 90% filled with bots yeah.

Using that logic you can also play Mare Nostrum :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The AT rifle will never top what it was in the original Red Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aky02k7-wF4

• Locked thread