Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Awesome, so glad to have this back.

Also, I am super happy with SiriusXM overall. Internet + car satellite for $18/mo is worth it to me. No question. So much content.

So... uh... do we make a new Dark Matter thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
So what does everyone think of the new show so far? I'm digging it. I was never around for the Art Bell days when I was introduced to Coast, (i was like 14 when Art retired), and I can tell why people prefer him. He's much more engaging with his guests.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I'm digging the poo poo out of this. Art Bell is a fantastic showman. He's the best to talk about things that go bump in the night.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
How trustworthy is this Steven Greer guy? He sure claims to have a lot of friends in high places.

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

Animal-Mother posted:

How trustworthy is this Steven Greer guy? He sure claims to have a lot of friends in high places.

It's been years, but I seem to remember reading about how he charges people a fee to go out with him on ufo sighting expeditions. I can't find any references for it now, but I did find this:

Someone accused him of skimming money from a documentary he recently produced.

It's pretty hard to find a ufo person that isn't a nut or doesn't have a giant character flaw. Except Friedman maybe. Dude may be right or wrong, but either way I think he's pretty legit.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Interstellar Owl posted:

So what does everyone think of the new show so far? I'm digging it. I was never around for the Art Bell days when I was introduced to Coast, (i was like 14 when Art retired), and I can tell why people prefer him. He's much more engaging with his guests.

Yeah. He actually asks questions and gives it a purpose.

Noory just sort of lets the guy go on and on and asks the typical Late show (Leno/Letterman) bullshit questions of "Oh! That's so interesting!"

I also love how much Art has been saying what's been going on behind the scenes. Like his demand when he returned from retirement the first time. His demand: cut 4 minutes of commercials each hour. And they did. Until he retired again.
It's loving depressing when you do the math of how much commercials take up a standard radio show nowadays. Easily 30%. 3 hours becomes just over 2 hours once cut.

Whereas on SiriusXM, Dark Matter is 3 hours, 29 minutes once they strip commercials. AND his shows are available for pretty much FOREVER after airing for free. No bullshit Insider stuff. Just listen.

I think that's, what, 5 years? And it was 365 days a few days ago, so he's INCREASING IT.
He also said SiriusXM bumped up his bandwidth. Not sure how that works, though. Part of me thinks another station got poo poo on for that. (BPM already is loving nasty)

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

M3wThr33 posted:

I also love how much Art has been saying what's been going on behind the scenes. Like his demand when he returned from retirement the first time. His demand: cut 4 minutes of commercials each hour. And they did. Until he retired again.
It's loving depressing when you do the math of how much commercials take up a standard radio show nowadays. Easily 30%. 3 hours becomes just over 2 hours once cut.

Even as Art complains about Coast's commercial load, it's actually one of the more generous offerings. Coast has 16 minutes of commercial time per hour. Most talk shows have 20 minutes at minimum. Glenn Beck has 23 minutes. Hannity has 25 minutes. Red Eye Radio, which competes directly with Coast to Coast and were the ones who swiped Ross Mitchell away, used to have 27 minutes, but has since scaled back to 24. Also Art only has to break twice an hour now, whereas Coast breaks four times.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I think the worst is the comeback tease between commercials where it changes between local commercials and C2C's own commercials.

Also, listening to tonight's episode now with Hoagland. Man, Art is REALLY criticizing this guy. I love it. I miss this so much.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

livingfruitvirus posted:

Even as Art complains about Coast's commercial load, it's actually one of the more generous offerings. Coast has 16 minutes of commercial time per hour. Most talk shows have 20 minutes at minimum. Glenn Beck has 23 minutes. Hannity has 25 minutes. Red Eye Radio, which competes directly with Coast to Coast and were the ones who swiped Ross Mitchell away, used to have 27 minutes, but has since scaled back to 24. Also Art only has to break twice an hour now, whereas Coast breaks four times.

I think it's also the content of the commercials, Coast's commercials want to make me rip my hair out the 10000th time I've heard them. Also, yeah, I've heard Richard C Hoagland a billion times with Noory, but this was totally amazing because Bell did not pull ANY punches as to contesting some of his more retarded claims.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Interstellar Owl posted:

I think it's also the content of the commercials, Coast's commercials want to make me rip my hair out the 10000th time I've heard them. Also, yeah, I've heard Richard C Hoagland a billion times with Noory, but this was totally amazing because Bell did not pull ANY punches as to contesting some of his more retarded claims.

But that's the fun of it.

If you listened, Hoagland got texted by Noory during the show. Because Hoagland and Bell were arguing, as they do AND SHOULD, Noory was sending poo poo like "I hear Art is giving you a tough time." Then Hoagland and Bell proceeded to keep mentioning this is what you DO on a TALK SHOW. As opposed to letting one person just ramble on and on.

So Noory is listening, or at least someone is telling him LIVE what's going on.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Aww, didn't know the Friday show would be a rerun. Oh well. Four days of Art is better than none. Glad he's back, the show is great.

Someone should make a Dark Matter thread. I know I'll probably never listen to C2C again.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

RetroHelix posted:

Aww, didn't know the Friday show would be a rerun. Oh well. Four days of Art is better than none. Glad he's back, the show is great.

Someone should make a Dark Matter thread. I know I'll probably never listen to C2C again.

I think this little thread can support both shows, for now anyway.

edit: I mean...oh hey there's a new thread!

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

M3wThr33 posted:

If you listened, Hoagland got texted by Noory during the show. Because Hoagland and Bell were arguing, as they do AND SHOULD, Noory was sending poo poo like "I hear Art is giving you a tough time." Then Hoagland and Bell proceeded to keep mentioning this is what you DO on a TALK SHOW. As opposed to letting one person just ramble on and on.

I missed the premiere week, but that's some Classic Art Bell right there. That's why he rules at this job, because he's the only guy out there that enjoys deriving witty repartee with people who are actively trying to pull people's legs, or are so confused, they're fooling even themselves.

Going back and listening to the archived shows for sure. So glad that Art is back. He's simply one of the best live showmen ever. It should go into the OP like straight up, or even the title that "YOU DON'T NEED TO BE INTO CONSPIRACY BULLSHIT TO ENJOY THIS".

edit: oh dang new thread, ok cool

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

M3wThr33 posted:

Oh yeah I love it, I'm so glad I decided to start listening to this, Art Bell is just an excellent host and I'm sad I never was around for his coast days.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Looks like Premiere Radio still doesn't want to discontinue Somewhere in Time on Saturdays, as tonight they played a show from 2000 with Katia Romanoff and Lauri Loewenberg.

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
SETI guy's on on Tuesday-- I've always enjoyed those shows, in a grounded way.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

livingfruitvirus posted:

Looks like Premiere Radio still doesn't want to discontinue Somewhere in Time on Saturdays, as tonight they played a show from 2000 with Katia Romanoff and Lauri Loewenberg.

Call me crazy, but where are those broadcast? Because Saturday nights have always seemed to be John B. Wells, at least on KFI AM 640 and other stations.

I see mention of those Somewhere in Times. Art Bell actually mentioned on his FB page he wanted those stopped, requested it and Premiere ignored the requests, multiple times.

Do enough people subscribe to Coast Insider to actually make this worth mentioning?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

KLJB in austin does a full Somewhere in Time episode right before Coast to Coast AM w/ John Wells. I guess it starts around 8 or 9 central? It's pretty rad though. I get real nostalgic hearing him talk 90s politics with Charlie the liberal.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

M3wThr33 posted:

Call me crazy, but where are those broadcast? Because Saturday nights have always seemed to be John B. Wells, at least on KFI AM 640 and other stations.

I see mention of those Somewhere in Times. Art Bell actually mentioned on his FB page he wanted those stopped, requested it and Premiere ignored the requests, multiple times.

Do enough people subscribe to Coast Insider to actually make this worth mentioning?

Somewhere in Time airs from 9PM to 1AM Eastern Saturday nights, in the old Coast to Coast Live timeslot. It has one of the biggest clearances on Saturday night talk radio. Over 100 stations play some or all of the show. Unfortunately for Art, Premiere wholly owns Coast to Coast AM, and is completely within their legal right to keep them going despite his requests. These old encore shows have been running weekly for over six years now.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was driving from Death Valley to Las Vegas on vacation two weeks ago and trying to remember why the town of Pahrump sounded so familiar. Then I read this and remembered where I'd heard it before.

One of the best things Art Bell did was voice work for the game Prey (2005 or so). The game involves an alien abduction that takes place over the course of a long night for the player and a few others involved. On occasion you come across a radio, and naturally all of them are tuned to Art Bell. Each time you can hear bits from a C2C show where he's taking calls from people talking about the events. It doesn't sound all that different from any other show. The best part is that it has pretty much no bearing on the plot; it's just a wonderful little detail that they included.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kangra posted:

I was driving from Death Valley to Las Vegas on vacation two weeks ago and trying to remember why the town of Pahrump sounded so familiar. Then I read this and remembered where I'd heard it before.

One of the best things Art Bell did was voice work for the game Prey (2005 or so). The game involves an alien abduction that takes place over the course of a long night for the player and a few others involved. On occasion you come across a radio, and naturally all of them are tuned to Art Bell. Each time you can hear bits from a C2C show where he's taking calls from people talking about the events. It doesn't sound all that different from any other show. The best part is that it has pretty much no bearing on the plot; it's just a wonderful little detail that they included.

It was generally a fun game, but that was far and away the best part.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
I'm actually listening to the Tobias McGriff interview tonight mainly to hear if they acknowledge Art at all.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
So uuuuh, anyone listen to Ghost to Ghost?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So Art just quit again? WTF?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
So it would seem. Goddamnit and I was so pleased to be quits with C2C. But no. No. Of course not. :rage:

I guess that just means for the third year running I'll be doing the New Years thread. :/ Guess I should go ahead and be working on that OP....

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That drat Satyr posted:

So it would seem. Goddamnit and I was so pleased to be quits with C2C. But no. No. Of course not. :rage:

I guess that just means for the third year running I'll be doing the New Years thread. :/ Guess I should go ahead and be working on that OP....

Welp. Hopefully somebody other than Noory hosts it. Or hope Art'll have an internet show up and running by then.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maybe he'll go into podcasting. Sponsored by Audible, CCrane, and Ham Radio Outlet.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Maybe he'll go into podcasting. Sponsored by Audible, CCrane, and Ham Radio Outlet.

Would that really work for the format he wants? He wants a big caller pool that you can only get with FM, and a podcast really wouldn't work for that. Granted, Art did seem to grasp why satellite radio doesn't work out for a talk show format.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Would that really work for the format he wants? He wants a big caller pool that you can only get with FM, and a podcast really wouldn't work for that. Granted, Art did seem to grasp why satellite radio doesn't work out for a talk show format.

Coast To Coast has a big caller pool from Skype and AM... how is it possible that he can't get a big caller pool from Skype? Probably cause no one wants to spend 15 bucks for how crappy SirisXM's service is.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Just now getting the post ready for the yearly listen along predictions show, but I was wondering... do you guys think it should just go here, or in GBS? In the past, it's been a GBS post-holiday staple... but at present I imagine it'll quickly get buried amongst all the rabblerabblerabble. :/

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Normally I'd say the GBS one since it was bigger, but since GBS is a loving poo poo show right now, it'd be ruined by morons.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah, that was my thought but.. at the same time, part of the listener base was just random people from GBS that really only listens during holiday shows.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I like the one idea right now in GBS having threads from other forums linked to it. We aren't the only ones that end up with dupes.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

M3wThr33 posted:

I like the one idea right now in GBS having threads from other forums linked to it. We aren't the only ones that end up with dupes.

Ooh, that's a great idea. I'll contact a mod and see what we can get done.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Looking at the upcoming shows schedule looks like we are getting just one night of predictions this year that aren't from guests

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah, unfortunately.

At any rate, the prediction thread is up in GBS. Hopefully it'll not get too shitted up. :/

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597985

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

Ooh, that's a great idea. I'll contact a mod and see what we can get done.

Yeah. It's more of a feature that would need to be added. Basically turn GBS into a frontpage like Reddit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I never really knew the Art Bell C2C. I started listening back in 2004 when I was working until 4am CST. It was a great listen for when the shop left at midnight and it was just me and the guy who introduced me listening and commenting on things.

A few years later we worked together again, and split an insider subscription and would spend our first 4 hours of day jobs listening to the night before. Richard C Hoagland gave us our code phrase for nutjob guests "black ops physics" :3:

These days I'! In another state and C2C is reserved for the nights I can't sleep. I also actually prefer George Noory :shobon: although I think George Knapp is the best weekend host.

Maybe I should subscribe again.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

These days I'! In another state and C2C is reserved for the nights I can't sleep. I also actually prefer George Noory :shobon: although I think George Knapp is the best weekend host.

Makes sense if you're trying to fall asleep ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Premiere has fired John B. Wells from Coast to Coast AM. Art Bell posted this article on his Facebook asking people to give it a read.

http://thecommonsenseshow.com/2014/02/06/john-b-wells-fired-for-being-too-popular-and-truthful-an-exclusive-interview/

• Locked thread