Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RetroHelix posted:

So he acted like an Anonymous representative?

Pretty much. He was articulate and clearly knew what he was talking about but my god after five minutes of listening to him it was unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
You could practically hear the fedora on his head.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I want to reach through my MP3 player and punch this guy so bad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boinks posted:

I want to reach through my MP3 player and punch this guy so bad.

I've got to start listening to this... all my radio gear showed up with the movers today, so instead of a $15 Kaito that can't even tune some of the shortwave stations he's on, I'll have a pretty good Tecsun+external longwire and, last resort, my Kenwood ham rig with home-made dipole.

New house doesn't have so many dimmers, fluorescent bulbs, and other noise generators either, and we're closer to the broadcasters now, so fingers are crossed.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
While I appreciate that you like to collect radio waves and listen to the results, why don't you just listen to the online stream if you want to hear it that bad?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antifreeze Head posted:

While I appreciate that you like to collect radio waves and listen to the results, why don't you just listen to the online stream if you want to hear it that bad?

:spergin:

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

If I had the option I'd listen on shortwave every time as well, hands down. Hard to explain if you arent into radio I guess.

I'm studying for my general license so I can finally try to hear him hamming during the day.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
If you missed Art on Periscope last week, someone captured it and it is amazing. They synced it up with the broadcast, since you wouldn't have heard it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qCrtfIHug

So glad he is back. It's been fine for the most part so far. Lots of kid callers who have nothing interesting to say. I don't mind paying $5 a month to keep Art happy.

fromagex fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 28, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

Partly because I'm a sperg, and partly because I had just moved and didn't have a laptop, just a phone, and I couldn't get the stream to play on the phone. Didn't have internet service until Saturday and the movers didn't bring my stuff until yesterday. Still don't have my PC set up.

Collecting radio waves is way more fun, anyway.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

The periscope was great. Did he mention doing it as a regular thing?

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

Prickly Pete posted:

The periscope was great. Did he mention doing it as a regular thing?

Nope, but I hope he recognized it as a medium he could use. I know I encouraged him through the wormhole and Twitter. We'll see.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If you haven't signed up as a Time Traveler for $5 and like the show so far I would sign up now. Word on Facebook is that the price will be going up very soon.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

So, if you sign up for Time Traveller now, it will always be $5 a month, for as long as you keep paying for it? The price will never go up once you are "locked in"?

I missed last night's episode and want to listen to it. Has Art mentioned how many people have signed up? or if sign ups are going well?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Inveigle posted:

So, if you sign up for Time Traveller now, it will always be $5 a month, for as long as you keep paying for it? The price will never go up once you are "locked in"?

I missed last night's episode and want to listen to it. Has Art mentioned how many people have signed up? or if sign ups are going well?

Yeah exactly, you'll be "locked in".

I haven't heard anything about numbers yet.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Pham Nuwen posted:

and I couldn't get the stream to play on the phone.

I had the same problem, but someone on the last page put up a direct link to the stream and has worked for me so far.

I don't know a heck of a whole lot about shortwave, but I'm having trouble picking up the signal from Tennessee. I seem to pick up Cuba, Washington DC, on a good day even Japan, but the TN station is always extremely faint. I can make out that there are people talking, just can't make out what is being said. And so far all efforts of talking my wife into letting me make a slinky antenna result in rolling of eyes.

E: here's that link: http://live.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/darkmatter.mp3

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Holy poo poo this Preston guy is a complete idiot. Obnoxious voice, self-congratulating, without the tasty moments of true insanity to make up for it.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

Holy poo poo this Preston guy is a complete idiot. Obnoxious voice, self-congratulating, without the tasty moments of true insanity to make up for it.

I was just coming to make almost the exact same post. This guy is one of the most obnoxious guests I've heard in a while.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Prickly Pete posted:

If I had the option I'd listen on shortwave every time as well, hands down. Hard to explain if you arent into radio I guess.

I'm studying for my general license so I can finally try to hear him hamming during the day.

Same. There's nothing like radio. If I could tune it in on a shortwave, I would, but I live in an apartment complex north of Silicon Valley and there's interference just everywhere.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Prickly Pete posted:

I'm into radio so much that I depend on people collecting those signals to keep paying my mortgage, but still, sometimes you just gotta listen.

No dice when I floated the idea of carrying MiTD on my station, which is too bad because even that snoozer of a guest last night is way more entertaining than the overnight guy here.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

One dud in 2 weeks is still a way better batting average than current C2C.

I can't wait for open lines again tomorrow night. Has anyone tried to call in yet?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Art laughing at blue balls guy on Friday ruled so hard

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Riptor posted:

Art laughing at blue balls guy on Friday ruled so hard

That was one of my favorite art moments ever.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

August 20th is the cutoff for $5 Time Traveller subscriptions.

There's gonna be an app to download/listen to shows and he's planning on doing weekend shows.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I think it's been a pretty good show so far. Better than Dark Matter ever was. Dunno if that has to do with the format or what.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm digging the debates Art is setting up. Moon landing debate last night, flat earth tonight. :allears:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Curly Shuffle posted:

I'm digging the debates Art is setting up. Moon landing debate last night, flat earth tonight. :allears:

The Flat Earth guy is hilariously idiotic. He states his belief as fact, no evidence, and is goading the scientist/teacher guy with ad hominem attacks and outright laughter when he can't prove his stuff. It's amazing.

This is awesome. I might sign up for this simply to see more madness.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

He really is the perfect guest. Just bafflingly hilarious.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

He really is the perfect guest. Just bafflingly hilarious.

I love his proof is "I thought about it A LOT." Hell, Art isn't even taking this seriously. Laughing going to break at 1:30am.

EDIT: Oh my God, the ads for this are awesome. Did anybody hear the one for that guy's book that was supposed by Alex Jones? You can order it when he gets off of work at 9:30pm! Oh, this is GOLD.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 6, 2015

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

This show is absolute gold. People complaining about it on arts Facebook are completely missing the point of how insane his show is supposed to be. It is perfect.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Seth Shostak from SETI is consistently one of my favorite guests, both for his wit -- and for putting Art in his place when he meanders down a conspiratorial path.

Art: "But what about aliens?"
Seth: "loving :lol: "
(Dead air)

Art playing that clip from Steven Greer at the start was some excellent poo poo-stirring.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Bitchkrieg posted:

Seth Shostak from SETI is consistently one of my favorite guests, both for his wit -- and for putting Art in his place when he meanders down a conspiratorial path.

Art: "But what about aliens?"
Seth: "loving :lol: "
(Dead air)

Art playing that clip from Steven Greer at the start was some excellent poo poo-stirring.

That was fantastic and informative. "But Seth, what if we get a message that they're invading?"

"Well, Art, it would have to be a short message, and will probably be millions of years old due to the time it takes for a message to travel. Also, if they're more advanced than us, there's a good chance we may not even pick up what they're saying due to our own lack of technological advancement."

Seth is epic.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Holy poo poo what a great show tonight.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

Holy poo poo what a great show tonight.

Were the calls good? I had to bail before that happened

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If I get a membership to the new show can I get the recordings directly on my iPhone?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yeah there's an rss feed

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Prickly Pete posted:

Were the calls good? I had to bail before that happened

Highlights include what sounded like a very angry (legitimately) retarded person calling in to proclaim Jesus Christ & a creepy guy who responded to the High Jarl of Diablo or whatever by saying "let's go deeper... There's power in... anal sex, there's power in analingus!" before Art cut him off.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Finally bit the bullet and subscribed. Ah, it feels so good to be back.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there an IRC channel anywhere where people idle while listening to MitD?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

"But this was no ORDINARY chrono-visor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Guy was an absolute master bullshitter. His story was *too* good though, he never once really said 'I can't remember' about anything, which actually would make him more believable. Someone on Bellgab wormholed Art to remind him that he had mentioned in his book that he had worked at ITT and you can tell at about that point Art starts turning on him a little bit.

Rogan has been good thus far too based on the first hour.

• Locked thread