Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Coast to Coast is very much to be listened to driving after dark. I group it with old Loveline and old This American Life as a quintessential interesting listening. Shows like Coast to Coast can be enjoyed on two levels. The actual entertainment value of the callers/content AND also the overall '90s' aesthetics which is addictive and can really draw you in. Listening to Art Bell draws a (false) sense of nostalgia up inside me. Weird huh.

I think Art Bell is best because he keeps the show on that narrow line of "Almost believable". Other hosts just go too far and shoot their loads. Bell walks dat line.
EDIT:

ANMAN posted:

This was a fantastic show for a road trip late at night. You're kinda sleepy, there's nobody around, it's pitch black, and your imagination runs wild with Art Bell at the wheel. Given the time of night a lot of truckers would call in and they're often interesting and funny to listen to.
Yes! Yes yes! This is exactly what makes CtC so sweet.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell - 2000 - 02 - 10 - Is Religion a Biological Impulse with Matthew Apler

Is a very good episode.

-The guest sticks to his guns about his lack of belief in God. Art: "Do you believe people can have extra spiritual powers?" Guest: "ah, no." art: "oh wow you don't even believe in that."
-The guest basically calls out the entire shtick of the show as wrong and stupid. But in a very tactical polite way and Art Bell lets him explain why people are drawn to the spooky/supernatural.
-etc.

I usually love this show for its' sheer 90s UFO craziness but having a guest on like Matthew was refreshing.

Anyway. Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell is like a podcast with hundreds of 3 hr+ long episodes. I love it.

Edit: "Bell served in the U.S. Air Force as a medic during the Vietnam War and in his free time operated a pirate radio station at Amarillo Air Force Base. He would make a point of playing anti-war music (like "Eve of Destruction" and "Fortunate Son") that was not aired on the American Forces Network.[9]" Was once a cool guy

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 24, 2015

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

worth buying archives if and only if the show lasts longer than it definitely will.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Empire State posted:

I'm pretty sure the last caller of Friday's show was a goon. "Everyone has a spooky skeleton inside of them," is something I'm certain I read on SA. I guess it could have gotten around the Internet though.
Definite goon but in the general internet sense rather than specifically an SA goon.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Pro listen until trump but that's only for a minute.

• Locked thread