Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I have a bunch of great stuff archived away, all of which I downloaded from Anomalies Audio Archive when it was still up and running with the blessing of C2CAM. About 3 gigs worth, which is all that remains after my old external hard drive decided to poo poo itself. My complete archive of JC's calls, catalogued in chronological order and labeled for subject matter? Gone forever. But, I still have all of Cook & McBeath's EVP sessions, Montauk, HAARP with Nick Begich (the OG), the Philadelphia Experiment, Mel's Hole, Madman Marcum, tons of Roswell goodness, the entire episode of the famous Area 51 employee call-in show, and a bunch of other baller poo poo.

So is it cool, like, legally to share this stuff somehow? I'm happy to do it if it is, but I don't need to borrow trouble for the sake of sharing the weird rear end musings of some chain-smoking, gun-toting hermit.

Quinoa posted:

So does Ian still host any shows? I had heard he had stopped entirely. After Art left for good Ian's shows seemed to be the only ones that had a good dose of intelligence and skepticism mixed in. He made the guests accountable for their bullshit once in a while; which was always great to hear.

Ian was the best of the post-Art crop, but instead we get to hear Noory's head migrate further and further up his own rear end every night. George managed to boil down all of Art's worst traits into a humorless, stupid, boring old goat of a puppet head. He's kind of interesting when he's throwing a ranting sissy little hissy fit over something that's got him spooked, like when someone supposedly sent Robert the Haunted Doll to his studio. Beyond that, he's pretty dull and borderline useless.

I mean, as big a fan as I was, Art was by no means perfect. His ability to be a self-promiting shill for his stupid side projects is surpassed only by Noory and perhaps Kevin Smith. And if you've heard one three hour stretch of programming devoted to talking to mountain folk about Ruby Ridge and Clinton taking away his precious guns in the nineties, you've heard it a hundred times. But he was also funny and charming when he needed to be. He'd invest himself in a topic without becoming some kind of slack-jawed jackass.
He'd play around with a premise and have fun with the callers. He was downright hilarious in the aforementioned JC calls, especially when he'd do his stupid Satan voice. I couldn't listen to him every night, but if he had something or someone on the program that interested me, he was a pretty rare talent.

Ian's a pretty cool guy to. He ran a good interview, has a great sense of humor, would talk about sci-fi and comic books from time to time, and, as you said, wasn't afraid to give someone a verbal smack on the nose if their bullshit got too far out of hand. The fact that he is, if I'm remembering correctly, a deacon also gave him a unique perspective on things.

If I wasn't clear before, I hate George Noory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bartok posted:

Any recommendations? When I use to work night shift at a dog kennel I would listen to the show when I got bored with the classic rock station. I was lucky enough to start listening a year before Art Bell retired.

On the classic shows page, near the bottom of the list is a show on the Philadelphia Experiment with Al Bielik. Fascinating story. I also like the HAARP stuff with Nick Begich. There're a few interviews with Terrance McKenna on there too, and they're decent enough if you enjoy hearing people yak about how great mushrooms are. He had a huge influence on Bill Hicks, and he's a pretty interesting guy, though I really have to be in the mood for him.

There are a lot of complete shows on the other page having to do with Area 51, Men in Black, etc., and they're all fun. There's also a JFK assassination megashow on there that goes into all the oddball multiple Oswald theories and whatnot. I always liked the JFK conspiracy shows.

"Mel's Hole" is on one of those pages, and that is an A++ story. It is such a spectacular line of horse poo poo, and one of the best running narratives in the show's history.

There are a couple of Father Malachi Martin shows up on the classics page. They taught me a few cool things about the dumb religion I was raised with (I had no idea there was a distinction between Lucifer and Satan), they can be pretty chilling if you let yourself buy into it, and Father Martin is a fairly chill guy with a very soothing voice and cadence. If you're a Phil Hendrie fan, he seems to be what Phil based his Father James McQuarters character on.

There's a WACKY 911 CALLS!!! show on there, and those are usually death, but I think that particular show has the man calling 911 in a panic due to belly button lint, which leads to Art waxing philosophically about "a man, for the first time in his life, encountering his own navel". I don't know why, but that one always stuck out in my head. I'd say give it a listen, because a lot of people really enjoy those shows.

They're not on those pages, but if you can find any "Ghost to Ghost" shows, those involve people calling in with their own ghost stories. A lot of duds to be had there, but they can be good, spooky fun (e: on further inspection, the entire library is available for download in the op). My own personal favorites are the EVP shows with Cook and McBeath. I think the whole ghost phenomena is a load of rubbish, but something about those send shivers right up my spine.

Finally, my favorite single episode is the Area 51 employee call-in show. It's an interesting show throughout, and it ends with probably the single most infamous moment in C2C history. Try to find the whole show if you can, but if you want to cut right to the chase, the moment in question can be heard right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HjonGohAho

Happy listening.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I cannot for the life of me remember the details because it was so long ago, and at that time I had very little knowledge of Art, but some time about 15 years ago I believe he retired for a spell because he was afraid for his life. I may be getting this wrong, but I feel like at one point he thought he was in mortal peril because he was speaking the truth about some drat thing or another.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm almost positive it happened.

• Locked thread