Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathspeak
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Basically the entire game is just about doing high-octane poo poo fueled by a buttrock soundtrack and filled with lots of sliced-up chunks of robots.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Ekusukariba posted:

So is red cyborg blood just a design choice instead of the white blood from mgs4 or is there some like lore where its a newer improved version?

Despite this being an action game there are hours of Codec and pretty much every little detail is explained if you dig deep enough.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I've been waiting for this for so long. It is amazing and crazy and my personal GOTY and I cannot wait for everyone's reactions to everything in this game.

RandyGandy
Mar 30, 2011
Looking forward to Chip showing me all the stuff I've missed in my playthroughs. Did not know you could parry Metal Gear Ray so much.

bucketcapacity
Jan 20, 2011

Actually, I'm fairly certain Raiden's ridiculous carrying case is a reference to Griff's hoverboard case in Back To The Future 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkyLnWm1iCs&t=120s

Also, Crispin Freeman is the guy who voices Sundowner, which totally surprised me because Sundowner's voice doesn't sound like his usual range.

I can't wait to see Ironicus' reaction to the final boss. If his reaction to Ray was any indication, it's going to be great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Veev posted:

Despite this being an action game there are hours of Codec and pretty much every little detail is explained if you dig deep enough.

Yeah, they go really all out on fleshing out the setting if you let them. I actually kind of like how absurd the technology's gotten in 'present day' Metal Gear games. It almost starts feeling like a really zany Deus Ex.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Didn't realise you could parry Ray's stomp attack, makes sense since you can with almost every other attack now that I think about it.

Still, one of my favourite parts of the game will always be when :rock: RULES OF NATURE :rock: kicks in for the first time. I'm kinda surprised Chip didn't link the music tracks in a separate video.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have not seen a single bit of footage of this game before watching this video and I was making the exact same noises as Ironicus throughout the whole thing. Holy poo poo this game is loving awesome what even is happening.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I've developed quite a dislike for the Metal Gear series over the years but I have to say that this single episode made me want to order a copy right this minute. Well played, Chip Cheezum.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I never noticed it before, but Rules of Nature plays in the cutscene where RAY jumps out of the water. That's a pretty nice touch with the boss music.

Ekusukariba posted:

So is red cyborg blood just a design choice instead of the white blood from mgs4 or is there some like lore where its a newer improved version?

The blood is still white in Japanese. They just made it red in English for reasons.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 19, 2013

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The best LP of the best game ever made, period. Funny sidenote, btw, the playtime counter actually glitches out at around 146:00 hours. Regarding the Japanese symbols, There's ZAN, DATSU and HASHIRU for Blade Mode, Zandatsu and Ninja Run prompts, respectively.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I unironically love the soundtrack for this game. The dodge mechanic could be a lot better though, pressing two face buttons at once is cumbersome as hell.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The blood is still white in Japanese. They just made it red in English for reasons.

Japanese ratings systems are really sensitive about blood for some reason, and many Japanese versions of modern games will have it removed. The game eventually explains the red blood, but there's one scene in particular that makes me think it was written with white blood in mind. That won't be for a good long while though, the whole thread can talk about it then.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I unironically love the soundtrack for this game. The dodge mechanic could be a lot better though, pressing two face buttons at once is cumbersome as hell.

Yeah that is really the only problem I had with combat because I've played Bayonetta a lot and thought that Platinum would kind-of keep that same fighting system.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Garbonix posted:

Yeah that is really the only problem I had with combat because I've played Bayonetta a lot and thought that Platinum would kind-of keep that same fighting system.

It's completely opposite for me. I loathed the uncustomizable control scheme in Bayonetta. R2 to Dodge is the most inconvenient setup ever since I never have my fingers on that button.

The dodge in Revengeance is awesome because of how fast and easily you can slide your thumb over to Square + Cross.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I'm really torn now as to whether or not to watch this lp. The first video was absolutely incredible, but the announcement of a pc port means I will actually be able to play it, and I love playing games blind. :negative:

That documentary was pretty cool too, are you guys planning to link any more stuff like that?

GITM
May 10, 2011
YES
This game is phenomenal and my favourite this year so far, the fast paced action, the cheesy story and music, the characters, everything about MGR is so likable.
So pumped to see you guys go through this.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I unironically love the soundtrack for this game
You're not the only one, the way they handled the soundtrack is just wonderful, it's extremely cheesy but in a good way.

GITM fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 19, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mephiston posted:

I'm really torn now as to whether or not to watch this lp. The first video was absolutely incredible, but the announcement of a pc port means I will actually be able to play it, and I love playing games blind. :negative:

That documentary was pretty cool too, are you guys planning to link any more stuff like that?

For what it's worth, point one in Chip's thread advice is absolutely true in my opinion. This is a great game to re-watch and play through again, but the first play through is magical so if you know that you're going to play the PC port and you say you enjoy a blind play through, I would recommend waiting to play the game. Just my 2 cents.

It could be a very long wait, though we may know the length of that around E3 which is around 20 days away. Watching this LP is going to be the absolute best way to see Revengeance as a whole if you don't want to wait.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Ray fight is so goddamn great in every way, from the music to the little things it teaches you to the fact that they take Raiden's previous End Boss enemy, juiced it up, and then let you tear it to shreds as a tutorial. I love this crazy robot game so much :swoon:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Been holding off on buying the DLC until this thread started, since I knew it would make me want to play again. I like the little tutorial video - I did already know those things about parrying, but I know there are other things I haven't figured out, so can't wait to see what those are!

(Also I apologise for suggesting on Twitter that you might need a fighting game veteran to show off the game alongside you Chip, those are some pro moves right there.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:stare:

I get the feeling this is like Metal Gear on steroids. This is going to be a new glorious chapter in your MG LPs.

Also, I'm currently re-watching your MGS3 LP and I have to say that the implementation of dual audio with commentary over custscenes is a feature I sorely miss.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 19, 2013

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
One small detail about the parry you didn't mention it is that you can use it as soon as you see the enemy start the attack and can even hold it for a few seconds, which pretty much means that you can't really ever use it too soon.

The original "1 hit = 1 parry" rule still applies if another enemy attacks you at the same time with a quicker attack though.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
The best Metal Gear game I have ever played. Looking forward to more of this, codec calls especially, aaand one cutscene in particular. I played it on normal and hard back-to-back and I've got a very hard run going as well.

Sam is so god drat cool, Raiden is so god drat cool, this game is so god drat cool.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Welp. I feel like I have to buy this now. If only for the COMPLETE INSANITY and the slicing of everything.

I like how the clock tower suddenly grew taller when Raiden was thrown into it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I always thought the canon explanation for Raiden's hair was that it was a finely made wig since those were the unlockables in MGS 2.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I had an almost unhealthy amount of fun when I played this game. I only had it on a rental and have since sent it back but I'm dying to buy it again and finish the VS missions. I cannot wait to see this LP though because I'm confident I missed a bunch of cool poo poo (like magazines) and I can trust Chip to cover everythiiiiing.

Anaphyis
Feb 18, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

I've developed quite a dislike for the Metal Gear series over the years but I have to say that this single episode made me want to order a copy right this minute. Well played, Chip Cheezum.

Seconded. I didn't keep up with the buzz around Rising because I don't like playing Metal Gear games. The missile cutscene literally made me stop the video and order it online.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have to know - is there some English word, or indeed any word in the world?, that combines the idea of 'totally stupid' with 'totally awesome'? Because I would say this game encapsulates those two things perfectly.

Alchanii
May 16, 2013

WHO DO YOU VOODOO, BITCH?
So, having only truly experienced Metal Gear vicariously through Chip, I am already dying and/or crying at how great this already is going. Both the commentary part, and how ridiculous the gameplay actually is.

Don't worry Chip, even if you bore me, Ironicus will carry this entire playthrough, and probably the thread too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Samovar posted:

I have to know - is there some English word, or indeed any word in the world?, that combines the idea of 'totally stupid' with 'totally awesome'? Because I would say this game encapsulates those two things perfectly.

The word you are looking for is "DUUUUUUUUUUDE".

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I do like that Platinum Games definitely is taking its own direction in terms of character design. If you look at Sam and Sundowner, they look very much like they belong in the game Anarchy Reigns. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the characters are DLC in that at some point.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Brassherald posted:

I do like that Platinum Games definitely is taking its own direction in terms of character design. If you look at Sam and Sundowner, they look very much like they belong in the game Anarchy Reigns. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the characters are DLC in that at some point.

I do think I'd fit nicely in to that game. This is going to get interesting.. I can now just project my self on to anything he does. :smuggo:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Brassherald posted:

That's not exactly the case. As stated in the Platinum development blog, the person responsible for enemy character (Desperados) designs did painstaking research on Shinkawa's Metal Gear art to keep the style as similar as possible

Additionally, all the designs had to be approved by Shinkawa himself.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

QuetzaDrake posted:

Oh man is this ever gonna be good. I've seen maybe the first 3 or 4 hours of it and I'm looking forward to all the wacky ridiculous shenanigans.

toddy. posted:

Probably less since this game is really short. You can finish your first playthrough with around 4 and a half hours game time on the clock.

I'm pretty sure the game's timer only actually counts gameplay time, no cutscenes or menu time. So perhaps both of your statements are correct!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The last scene in Chip's video says he finished the chapter in about 16 minutes and the video length is around ~32 minutes.
That's around 50% of the time unaccounted for in-game and the discrepancy is going to be larger from here on out.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The game can easily take far more than that to complete. KungFuJesus and the posse played for about 5 hours and weren't anywhere near the end. An average playthrough takes around 7-8 hours in real time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Samovar posted:

Yes.
It's Revengeance. :hellyeah:

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Oh man I had the final boss spoiled for me by a friend like three days after the game came out (I will never forgive him for that now) but I'm looking forward to this LP like all of your other Metal Gear LPs because they are the best things ever. :allears:

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
This LP is already worth it for the sheer amazement and disbelief in the video, I absolutely love showing this game to people who've never played it because of reactions like that!

I'd almost say that anyone who hasn't played it should totally go and experience it yourselves, but then the thread won't be as wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

SWMadness posted:

Oh man I had the final boss spoiled for me by a friend like three days after the game came out (I will never forgive him for that now) but I'm looking forward to this LP like all of your other Metal Gear LPs because they are the best things ever. :allears:

How I wish this weren't also the case for me. At least every other completely insane plot twist that is inevitably going to come will be fresh though.

• Locked thread