Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is an action game along the lines of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, developed by both Kojima Productions and Platinum Games. It's pretty much the best game ever because you can throw snakes at the faces of guys and they wrassle with 'em cut a man into a thousand pieces and then tear out his cyborg spine and eat it.

This game was originally titled Metal Gear Solid: Rising and was going to be an open world game that took place between Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 and would explain how Raiden came to become a cyborg and how he rescued Sunny from the Patriots. The game was being worked on by a new team formed in Kojima Productions. Kojima had hoped to eventually pass the Metal Gear series on to them so he could work on other games, but the team could not agree on a unified vision for the game. It was canned after a few years of work until Platinum Games was brought into the mix. They retooled the game into a fast-paced action game along the line of their other games, like Bayonetta and Vanquish. At this point the game was renamed Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and the game was moved to take place four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4 in order to distance itself from the absurd amount of continuity going on in the main Metal Gear Solid series.

Revengeance may be a spin-off series, but it is still canon. The events of this game are loosely tied to previous games in the series, but you do not need to know too much about the series to appreciate this game's plot. All you really need to know is that there was a big group of AIs known as The Patriots running the world, and then Raiden helped destroy them. Oh, and there was some guy named "Solid Snake" or something.

:siren:THREAD ADVICE:siren:
1) I would really appreciate it if people keep future plot points/bosses/set pieces/songs unspoiled, because this game is fuckin' nuts and going into this game fresh is amazing.
2) I would also appreciate it if people do not quote any of the game's memorable/funny lines until they happen because this game is crazy.
3) Be very, very careful watching these videos if you watch them directly on Youtube. Tons and tons of people have posted the songs/cutscenes for the final boss of this game and almost all of the videos have a picture of the final boss right in the thumbnail of the video. Some of them also have the name of the final boss in the title. So just never look at the related videos.

VIDEOS
Metal Gear Rising #1-1: Rules of Nature.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #1-2: Art of the Parry
The Truth Behind Rising (Documentary)
Metal Gear Rising #2-1: Dark Skies.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-2: I'm My Own Master Now.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-3: Combat Primer Vol 1
Metal Gear Rising #2-4: Splatter Films (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #3-1: Hammerhead.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #3-2: The Stranger (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #4-1: Battlecoins.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #4-2: A Stranger I Remain.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #4-3: Sword of Justice (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #5-1: Mariachi.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #5-2: Ze Accent (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #6-1: DOOMP.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #6-2: USB.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #6-3: Dnipropetrovsk (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #7-1: Return to Ashes.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #7-2: Mile High.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #7-3: Monsoon (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #8-1: Thumbs Up.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #8-2: Combat Primer Vol. 2
Metal Gear Rising #8-3: MECS (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #9-1: The Stains of Time.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #9-2: Cut-off Consciousness (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #10-1: Hostile Take Over.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #10-2: Dog-shaped Robot Buddy (VR)
Metal Gear Rising #11-1: Lift Battle.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #11-2: Red Sun.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #11-3: Memes (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #12-1: Escape from Denver.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-2: The Only Thing I Know for Real.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-3: No Damage
Metal Gear Rising #12-4: E-books (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #13-1: C3PO.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #13-2: Collective Consciousness.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #13-3: AT Corp
Metal Gear Rising #14-1: It Has to Be This Way.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #14-2: And he took no damage.
Metal Gear Rising #14-3: Kill Him (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #14-4: Combat Primer Vol. 3 + VR Missions
Metal Gear Rising #15-1: The Desert Storm.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #15-2: The Hot Wind Blowing.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #15-3: Unlockables
Metal Gear Rising #16-1: Minuano.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #16-2: Sensei Cat.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #16-3: VR Gauntlet
Metal Gear Rising #17-1: Final Interview.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #17-2: VR Hell

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I should mention that Kojima is barely involved with this game at all. He didn't write any of the story to this game. He's been working on The Phantom Pain this whole time instead.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Yes, I'll be doing the DLC. Depending on how fast the LP goes there might be a short pause between the main game and the DLC so the three-month rule can expire.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Raiden's light attacks with the sword let you move between enemies pretty similarly to the way Batman's punches work in the Arkham games, but that's the only thing Rising's combat system shares with it. The combat you see in this prologue chapter isn't entirely representative of the actual game because you don't have access to several mechanics yet. Plus, the cyborgs you fight in the prologue are super weak and not very aggressive. They have 20% less health than the basic cyborgs you fight for the rest of the game and are missing a couple of attacks. I guess the closest comparison I can make for Rising's combat is that it's a mix of Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh goodness there are so many where do I even start.

I definitely didn't LP them in this order, but just go from 1 through 4 and then Peace Walker. Our mic quality will vary through each one because MGS3 is actually the oldest MGS LP we've done. Also turn down your volume for the beginning of MGS3 because I shout a few times because that was a thing I was prone to doing when I was 19.

Edit: The MGS3 LP was four years ago??? Good lord.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

If anyone's worried that Raiden's going to be a whiny character like in MGS4, don't worry about it. He's passed that stage and now he's moved on to being a nerd who really wants to be as cool as Batman.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

For the slicing controls, make sure you are just letting go of the stick to do cuts instead of swiping it all the way across. I know some people have been doing that and it makes cutting really difficult. You could also try going into the option and trying out (I think) control setting D. It flips the sticks for cutting so that the right stick is the camera and the left stick in the angle of the cut. That allows you set up the angle of the cut with the left stick, and then you can just hit light attack to perform the cut. No matter what the game has a bit of a learning curve to it, though. The majority of Platinum's games are like that.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Mailer posted:

I parried everything in Souls games and spent all of Bayonetta in Witch Time... but parrying here just confused me. I think it's the timing window for a "counter parry" (in DS terms, a parry) as opposed to a "normal parry" (in DS terms, a block) that confuses me. DS/Bayonetta had big indicators when things worked and I never really picked up on either the tells or the timing in MGR.

If you successfully counter-parry something, you know you did it because Raiden follows up the parry with one big sword swing. The difference between timing for the parry and parry-counter is that a parry-counter happens when you don't parry until just as an attack is about to hit you. The timing is more lenient on normal mode and below; double the amount of frames in fact. The timing on hard mode feels just slightly more forgiving than a Perfect Guard in Devil May Cry 3, which I believe has a timing of around 6 frames.

A normal parry is done whenever you do it too early. Any enemy can be parried the instant its attack animation starts up, which always has some sort of tell for it. A lot of the time the tell is a bright red cross-shaped light that flashes from their eye, but there are a few others we'll see later on.

A counter-parry doesn't actually cause the slow motion for Blade Mode unless it stuns an enemy (which happens on the first counter-parry with the normal cyborgs I fight in the first video, you can see the stars above their heads). The exception is the fight against RAY where a normal parry will stun him and cause slow motion. You can't actually parry-counter any of RAY's attacks except for the bullets it fires from its guns.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's the same Metal Gear RAY. Notice that when it returns the second time it only has one arm and Boris says "That drat UG still works!?"

If there's confusion over this because it has its tail back after I cut it off in the first fight, it's because those two fights were recorded at different times and I forgot to cut its tail off the second time around. Normally when RAY appears the second time it is missing all the stuff you cut off of it.

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 20, 2013

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Is there any chance we'll get 60 fps versions of these videos? I believe Baldurdash supports them, and it might still be possible to trick Blip to do so by uploading it in .flv format.

Like MGS2, the gameplay runs at 60 fps, but the cutscenes only run at 30, although in this case its because they're all pre-rendered to reduce load times.

I'd like to but I'm not sure if I'm going to go through with it at the moment. I've got a lot of hard drive space so I've got all the original recordings still if I want to make 60fps versions. I can't use Blip because they already deleted my entire account once before, and they're not particularly supportive of LPs now.

a spooky ghost posted:

Yeah, I really hate this. I feel like they would make more money doing it as "pre-order from us and you get DLC for free, everyone else pays" than the reality of "exclusive and no one can have it ever".

I suppose there's still a little bit of hope left. Their last game, Anarchy Reigns, also had a Gamestop pre-order bonus that gave you Bayonetta as a playable character, and that wasn't released for everyone to purchase until just a few weeks ago.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Three days, ten pages, one update, and it already feels like I've been waiting forever. This LP is going to be hell.

The next update'll be up on Friday. I'm gonna attempt to keep updates going weekly, but I'm attending Ironicus' wedding next month so there might be a break in the updates at some point.

Speaking of the music linked in here, this is actually an older version of the RAY theme that isn't used in the game. The one used in game is "Rules of Nature". The other version is called "Locked and Loaded" and isn't used in the game anywhere, but still appears on the official soundtrack. It sounds similar but has different lyrics.

You may also find some versions of songs from the game that have a less electronic sound to them. There are actually "Platinum" mixes as well as "Maniac Agenda" mixes. The songs were originally written to sound more standard metal, but were then sent to Maniac Agenda (a dubstep group, I believe) to add an electronic feel on top of the normal songs. There are also some other versions of the songs you can find floating around Youtube, these are older/incomplete versions of some of the songs that were hiding within the game's demo.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

LacklusterMan posted:

So exactly how ridiculous do the hiding places for these collectibles get anyway?

The ones in the prologue are some of the sneakiest ones, but there are a few other that are in slightly ridiculous places.

Also if you're wondering about whether or not the game will answer something about the MGS world, there is almost definitely a codec call for it. There's something around 500-600 different codec calls in the game. You're definitely going to learn a lot about Metal Gears and how cyborgs work in the post MGS4 world.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I'd appreciate it if people don't talk about what will be in codecs later in the game, even if they are optional.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

There are still a fair amount of fans who are upset that Rising isn't another stealth game, and they are also the kind of people who go out of their way to find videos about it so they can post "I DON'T CONSIDER THIS GAME CANON".

Metal Gear Rising #2-1: Dark Skies.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-2: I'm My Own Master Now.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-3: Combat Primer Vol 1
Metal Gear Rising #2-4: Splatter Films (Codec)

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

The reason why I'm rewinding fights is because several of the fights at the very beginning of the game can be ended so quickly that there isn't enough time to say anything of worth, let alone explaining how anything in the game works. This update is probably where it'll be the most heavy because there's lot of new mechanics to explained combined with fights that can be finished in thirty seconds. If it makes you feel better the next update only has one rewind in it.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

When Bladewolf retreats to call in reinforcements he gains armor so that no attacks will stun, launch, or knock him over. If you manage to hit him with anything while he's running away he'll still take damage, though.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I haven't checked yet because I never really use my 360 anymore, but apparently the pre-order costumes just went up for sale on Xbox Live.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I have no idea who bought that but thank you, I guess.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Metal Gear Rising #3-1: Hammerhead.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #3-2: The Stranger (Codec)

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I've seen a two or three people in the comments saying that the video is freezing at around 2 minutes in while the audio continues to play. Not quite sure what's up with that at the moment. I've tested it on a couple different computers and they've all played fine for me, so I'm guessing there's something wonky going on with Youtube right now.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I'm really excited for this update because it has one of my favorite songs in it.

Metal Gear Rising #4-1: Battlecoins.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #4-2: A Stranger I Remain.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #4-3: Sword of Justice (Codec)

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

After you defeat the three guys at the very beginning of the prologue, you can sit in that area and the game will send a single soldier after you over and over, which is a pretty easy way to practice parrying.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I almost forgot to edit this update because The Last of Us came out today.

Metal Gear Rising #5-1: Mariachi.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #5-2: Ze Accent (Codec)

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I'm gonna be out of town this weekend because I'm going to Ironicus' wedding, so the next Revengeance update will either be up tomorrow or on Monday, depending on how much work I can get done. It's also the last update we have recorded, so there might be a slight delay before there are more updates. I'll probably start streaming again to make up for it, though.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Hello, we're back. The wedding was very nice and maybe we'll talk about it on a podcast or something?

Metal Gear Rising #6-1: DOOMP.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #6-2: USB.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #6-3: Dnipropetrovsk (Codec)

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I'm currently in the middle of recording more Revengeance, but for now I've finally picked up the Incredible Crisis LP I started months ago for the hard games thread. Episode 2 was just put up.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Get pumped, because Revengeance updates start up tomorrow. We've already recorded all of Chapter 3!

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Metal Gear Rising #7-1: Return to Ashes.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #7-2: Mile High.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #7-3: Monsoon (Codec)

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 13, 2013

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

They're built with the same parts as the mercs and they blow up to prevent other parties from picking up their remains and reverse engineering company secrets etc. The World Marshal police enemy types actually hit harder and have more health than the mercs from the previous two chapters!

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Metal Gear Rising #8-1: Thumbs Up.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #8-2: Combat Primer Vol. 2
Metal Gear Rising #8-3: MECS (Codec)

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 21, 2013

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

:supaburn: And this update is to go even further beyond! :supaburn:

Metal Gear Rising #9-1: The Stains of Time.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #9-2: Cut-off Consciousness (Codec)

You should also probably watch this from our site instead of on Youtube because Youtube is turning into a bit of a trainwreck right now where only half of the site works correctly.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

The next update will be up tomorrow instead of Friday because I'm getting all of my wisdom teeth taken out on Friday. Just in time for Pikmin 3 on Sunday!

This is pretty gamers.txt, but here's something that I find really entertaining: a garbage review of Revengeance. I'm a terrible person and get a really smug sense of satisfaction when a game review basically outs that the reviewer didn't play the game for more than an hour and/or they are loving terrible at video games. This one reminds me of that IGN God Hand review where the guy gave it a 3 because he deemed it too hard after playing it for an hour. I'm just going to post some excerpts here because the actual review spoils some endgame plot.

PlayStationLifeStyle.net posted:

If you do have clear visibility of an incoming enemy strike, which will shine red to let you know it’s coming, you have to press the attack button in hopes that you actually parry and don’t attack instead. Maybe 25% of the time the parry actually works.

I did not complete the game. I did not finish the last boss. On normal. This is something that would bring great shame to me had this been an actual challenge, and not difficult only because combat is such a joke.

Worse yet, for a series known for having some of the most memorable villains and boss fights in video game history, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has some of the most pathetic, bland villains I’ve seen. I didn’t fear them for being ferocious, I feared them because I knew how poorly designed each fight was and how infuriating the next one would be. Even the supporting cast suffered from being completely generic and useless. Talking to them over codec… I just wanted it to stop. But they had so much to say, and so did the enemies. Hours of talking. Hours of cutscenes.

(Actually running time for cutscenes is about an hour and twenty minutes, shorter than the Devil May Cry reboot.)

Unfortunately, outside of seeing the number increase when bolstering Raiden’s help, anything I unlocked and purchased was barely noticeable in combat. It also allowed you to purchase the weapons that each boss used against you. I bought them, but I saw little point in using them.

(Ignore the fact that all the weapons and most of the moves you get are actually really good, especially the Sai from Monsoon.)

He gave the game a 3 out of 10.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Youtube is being dumb but I finally got all the videos up. I love my dog-shaped robot buddy.

Metal Gear Rising #10-1: Hostile Take Over.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #10-2: Dog-shaped Robot Buddy (VR)

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Yes, you can just skip the second fight entirely just by cutting through the fence. I just wanted to show it off since it's probably one of the hardest fights in the game since you are always completely unupgraded during that part.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

The dentist had a hard time getting the IV into me because I replaced my body with magnetic floating body chunks. Also I just want to say that I am very excited to show off the rest of this game.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

The next Revengeance update will be up next week. I didn't get around to recording more of the game until late this week and Ironicus is doin' stuff for the weekend. There'll be some Incredible Crisis stuff going up soon, and we've got an entire other (short) LP recorded and finished already that I'm debating on when to upload.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Alright, time to get this show back on the road.

Metal Gear Rising #11-1: Lift Battle.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #11-2: Red Sun.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #11-3: Memes (Codec)

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Nope, I'm playing the game from a disc. I've seen slowdown in the very beginning area of the garden but only if I'm in blade mode chopping up several enemies and I'm also in the water by the bridge.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

We'll be doing both DLC campaigns after the main game.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Due to Japanese developed games being an illegitimate art form, this LP will now be turning into an LP of the Western masterpiece DmC: Devil May Cry. (The next Revengeance update is uploading right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

A Twin Snakes argument will not break out in the Church of Jack.

Metal Gear Rising #12-1: Escape from Denver.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-2: The Only Thing I Know for Real.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-3: No Damage
Metal Gear Rising #12-4: E-books (Codec)

• Locked thread