Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! :getin:

I'e been...waiting for this one. At last...the time has come. Let's begin...

Serious Face: I'm excited for this one, can you tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh man, Ironicus' reactions are going to make this LP. He's going to love the poo poo out of this game. :allears:

Also, the soundtrack is indeed unironically loving awesome. If you weren't :rock:ing out at "RULES OF NATUUUUUUUUUUURE!!!" then I don't think you have a soul.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

I guess the closest comparison I can make for Rising's combat is that it's a mix of Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden.

I hadn't thought of this comparison before, but I like it. The game feels a lot like it's taking the pace and handling of Bayonetta or vintage Devil May Cry and putting it to the...'feel', for lack of a better term of Ninja Gaiden, along with its massive enthusiasm for dismemberment.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 19, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Veev posted:

Despite this being an action game there are hours of Codec and pretty much every little detail is explained if you dig deep enough.

Yeah, they go really all out on fleshing out the setting if you let them. I actually kind of like how absurd the technology's gotten in 'present day' Metal Gear games. It almost starts feeling like a really zany Deus Ex.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

I was fairly certain you couldn't, if only because Chip doesn't, but I wasn't sure give how you can apparently parry every single other attack the Ray has.

I'm 99 percent sure you can't parry the laser - you can't parry bullets (leaving aside Ninja Run's immunity) rockets or many kinds of projectiles. I doubt the big fuckoff plasma cannon would be one of the few exceptions.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

McDragon posted:

fake edit:Oh wow, you had perfect timing parrying that blade just as the "rules of nature" bit kicked in.

That's actually scripted - the music automatically introduces lyrics and jumps to that point in the song when you start the finisher. It does that sort of thing a lot and it's really awesome.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If you've never played a Devil May Cry game or Bayonetta, I expect the learning curve for normal to be quite steep, but not insurmountable. Probably easier to get into than Dark Souls. If you've gotten okay to good at DMC or Bayonetta, you'll probably be able to get passable at this within an afternoon. Just make a point of practicing the parry - even on Normal, the first real boss will ruin you if you can't parry semi consistently.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Booya posted:

Once you figure out that your parry is the most important move you have, like Dark Souls dodge important, the game is actually fairly easy on hard. At least up until certain boss fights. There's another couple mechanics coming up that will make it even easier when used well, which you should be aware of already assuming the stream got beyond the prologue. I don't really play action games, the only other one I can think of that I played all the way through is DMC 4, which I was awful at, and this game really didn't give me too much trouble.

Yeah. Easily the biggest difference between Reveangance and the two other big Platinum/Platinum-y action series' is this game's focus on blocking. Devil May Cry and especially Bayonetta train you to hit the dodge button and dance around the enemy when you want to avoid damage - this game wants you to stand your ground and parry it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Three days, ten pages, one update, and it already feels like I've been waiting forever. This LP is going to be hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I'm almost certain there will be one. MGR was a pretty big critical/commercial success overall. Also if/when there's a sequel, it'll be next-gen which should allow for even more interesting slicing effects. :allears:

Comedy option; Wii-U exclusive like Bayonetta 2.

I can actually see that working okay. I want to go into blade mode, draw out my attack on the touchpad, and have Raiden cut Rs into his enemies like a badass.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Um.

Can we get shouty "ONWARD" guy back? It feels weird reading Chipposts without him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like the codec in this game. The whole thing is really well served by Raiden actually knowing some things and participating in the discussion rather than nodding and grunting like Snake tended to.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

No problems on my end. Strange.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pyradox posted:

I wonder if she actually got a program that displays augmented reality hearts whenever she kisses and that's why Raiden was so shocked. Because that sounds like the kind of thing there's a codec call explaining.

To be fair, it kind of works as an 'Oh poo poo I've been spotted gonna get ambushed' reaction. Until he shrugs it off, anyway.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, Mistral sure was well armed. Still, Chip really handled her - I bet he could have taken her down with both arms behind his back. His skill really does just dwarf mine. I also really like the polearm - it comes in handy when you're dealing with lots of weak enemies, it's a great way to stop Dwarf Gekko from getting their hands on you. Now let's all link arms and clap our hands while we wait for the next update.

:iamafag:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Can't really nail one down, can you?

Echoing the coolness of Mistral's fight. It's wild and heated, never staying in one state for very long. Not even the music stays the same.

It's probably for the best - his hands are clean from the storm of puns. Someone's gonna get slapped if it goes on much longer.

On a non-rear end in a top hat note, one thing I haven't heard mentioned is the way Raiden shuts his visor for major bosses. I really like that touch - it just looks really cool, and I'm reasonably certain it's a deliberate shoutout to Viewtiful Joe - Joe had a similar visor to put on when poo poo got real.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Four, actually. Sundowner himself is one as well.

I'm pretty sure it's still three, actually. I'm fairly certain Sam isn't officially a member, he's just another badass with a windy name Desperado brought on.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DecayDJK posted:

In my playthrough, I really felt like Mistral was the point where the game says, okay, if you haven't at least developed some decent competency with parrying we're not letting you go any further. Up to that point, assuming you don't mind B and C ranks, you can more or less press your attacks and not worry too much about parrying. If you try that against Mistral, you're just doomed.

And the game isn't done. I thought Mistral was a parrying clinic when I first fought her, but no. The parrying clinic comes later.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like Rising's Codec in general - there's way more effort put in to worldbuilding and poo poo than you expect from a silly Platinum action game - with all the discussion of the social and economic effects of cyborg tehnology and uunderlying political and class stuff that gets mentioned, plus some setting stuff we'll see later, the game starts to feel like, as I've said before, a very zany take on Deus Ex. And I mean that in a very good way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I almost forgot to look for the update for the same reason. I'm glad we both remembered!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raizor posted:

I feel your pain when it comes to bombing those dwarf gekkos. Please accept this Artist's Rendition™ of sub weapon VR missions.

If I had money, someone would be getting this avatar.

Also, congratulations General Ironicus. One of your random internet fans sends my best wishes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Fun fact about dismemberment: it's so CPU-intensive that the work is actually split up over multiple frames for each cut.

I really hope we get a next-gen Revengeance 2. With all the extra memory it should be possible to persist at least the larger chunks of enemies. I want a pile of cyborg limbs lying around after a good fight.

Indeed - especially since it looks like the upgrade in processing power will be much more impressive than the upgrade in GPU this time. I mean MGSV and Watch_Dogs look drat good, but not that much higher fidelity than what we've already managed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Happy for General and Lady Ironicus, happy for the episode. 'Tis a good day.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Reeckensall posted:

That GRAD enemy gave me so much trouble on my playthrough, I think I must have died to it a good five or six times.

God drat do I hate those things on Very Hard/Revengeance. One of them is easily managed, but the top difficulties love throwing them at you in pairs or teamed up with mastiffs or longsword soldiers. If you get bogged down fighting something else, a Grad can very easily slap you around with its shields or worse, blow the gently caress out of you with its cannon.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chip didn't really give the Grad a chance to show off its skates in this fight, and they're a big part of what make Grads so hard to manage when there's anything else vying for your attention. If it's got room to move around and the player gives it an opening, a Grad can get out of close combat range and start circlestrafing you really drat quick.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^Shut up they don't know that yet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zuzie posted:

There has to be other silly costumes for Raiden to be in. While the Mariachi costume is funny, there should be other ones as well.

Mariachi's probably the silliest, really. Though I really love the other costumes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Iretep posted:

You have to wonder how hard it hits troop morale that they are all forced to kill themselves if they get captured. It's like some kind of reverse leave no survivors tactic. Except instead of the enemy just killing everyone and not taking prisoners it's your own employers forcing you to fight or die.

It probably helps that they 'drug' the troops with nanomachines. It's mentioned a bunch of times that those are still in use to suppress fear et all - and I'm sure upstanding companies like Desperado Enforcement and World Marshall would never consider using this ability as effective mind control or anything. Don't even really need to reach for this one, it's a holdover from MGS4. Seems like the only real benefit of Snake's actions was that the nanomachine mind control systems aren't all controlled by an evil central hive mind built by a silly british man.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus. You've killed me. I am literally dying.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MEMES JACK! THE DNA OF THE SOUUUL! LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE SELFISH GENE!

Honestly, this game is Metal Gear as gently caress in how it manages to be both really smart and hilariously dumb at the same time.

Also, Monsoon's music is really rad, his fight is slightly less so, although you know you're gonna know how to parry by the end of it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, he might have been expecting Raiden to collapse in a fit of grief and/or give up in an attempt to atone rather than to say "...Hey, you're right! Murder IS AWESOME LET 'ER RIP!!!"

Edit: Ninja-science-posted.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Quick question, can you switch costomes during fights?

You can definitely access the menu, but going to the customization screen in general forces you back to your last checkpoint, so you'll lose at least some progress.

Suaimhneas posted:

I think he was trying to persuade Raiden to join them by pulling the "we're not so different" card, and was taken aback by how dramatically he flipped over to "Murder is fun KILLKILLKILL." They really didn't realise just how hosed up in the head Raiden is.

They also didn't count on him being aware of how hosed up he is. Even if he is in this line of work because he enjoys the killing, he's still fighting to prevent anyone else becoming like him. It's kind of tragic really.

Like I said earlier, this whole bit is simultaneously kind of smart and really dumb. On the one hand, it acknowledges societal forces that push people into dangerous or otherwise undesirable positions just to survive and the difficulty present in treating all involved in such a situation fairly, as well as how social and cultural ideas manifest and transverse within and between individuals. On the other hand, I think it's time for Jack to Let 'Er Rip!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

So I assume that the beginning of boss fights the game checkpoints you then. In that case Chip should saved showing of the mariachi for this fight. ˇJack esta du vueta!

Not really worth it - you know the costumes don't get taken into cutscenes, right?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

macfam posted:

Another nice touch about the Monsoon fight is that he holds his sai inwards instead of just using them like stilettos. Using sai at all is pretty cool though because not that many videogames have people use them.

I'd be interested in knowing if that's at all practical - Sai certainly look like piercing weapons to me, which makes a reverse-grip seem kind of hard to manage, but I'm not exactly super familiar with proper Sai technique.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Sai are meant to be used to parry, block and entangle your opponent, and wielding them with the blade inwards is a part of proper sai technique. I mean, you can use it to stab people like a dagger too, but if that's ALL you are doing you aren't really using the weapon to its full potential. You are meant to shift the grip around, and to use the handle and such to blunt force jab your opponent.

Ah, that makes sense. I see it now - the outer blades of the sai are meant to act like european swordbreaker daggers, locking an enemy's blade against the center shaft so a bit of torque has an opportunity to snap it. Makes sense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure you also keep a finger extended along the grip but it's been a while.

That would make sense - I did a few years of Kung Fu, and they had us do similar when we worked with short staves and (rubber) knives. Monsoon definitely does, at any rate.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bland Villains. Bland Villains?! :psyduck:

Hope getting your teeth removed doesn't suck too hard, Chip.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Apotheosis posted:

See, this is why I never read reviews from anyone but goons and Giant Bomb.

I find Eurogamer and Game Trailers are usually okay, to be fair.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki posted:

Well, to the bland villains, by comparison revengeances' villains aren't quite so memorable, and they're much less...Relevant I would guess? Sam aside, they show up for 1 scene and then are dead.

Compare Liquid Snake, Wolf, Mantis, or Raven from 1 who all had 2 boss fights, character development before you killed them, and long dialogues with Snake. One introduced Revolver Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?
2 had...much worse villains, but Vamp gets redeemed and then some in 4, and it had Liquid Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?
3 had the "The --" people, who were all kind of ridiculous and flashy. 3 Also had young Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?
4 had the (Animal)(Emotion) Quartet who were all pretty neat. It also had Old Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?

Old Ocelot aside, I will internet fight you to the death if you tell me Mistral or Monsoon are less interesting in visual and character terms than any of the B&Bs. To say nothing of anyone we've yet to fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, Red Sun is easily my favorite track in the game and it's a crying shame that Sundowner is too much of a goddamn pussy to have more than 50 percent health when the chorus kicks in - especially considering that his finisher (which I'm not fond of - killing the music and generally being too long and kind of awkward) kicks in at around 20-15 percent.

I mean, it makes a little sense considering that his character is built up as kind of a bully who's more into kicking people around than actually exercising any skill, but they could have at least buffed him up enough for me to enjoy the music and have a good time.

• Locked thread