Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Maybe they mean it's the end of Dr. Who and the show is cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maera Sior posted:

@DrWhoOnline
Can't say much more but we have been contacted by a couple of newspapers regarding some news that will be EVERYWHERE tomorrow.

Noooo, Matt. You can't leave us!

NOOOO MATT TURN LEFT TURN LEFT

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Goddammit, goddammit, goddammit. WHAT'S GOING ON?!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its going to be an announcement that all the previous Doctors are in the special.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The BBC has sent out a press release that is under embargo until midnight, so we've got a little under five hours until we get the news. And it's apparently big poo poo.

So, it's either that cache of missing episodes, or ... bye bye, Matt. :smith:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Timby posted:

The BBC has sent out a press release that is under embargo until midnight, so we've got a little under five hours until we get the news. And it's apparently big poo poo.

So, it's either that cache of missing episodes, or ... bye bye, Matt. :smith:

Me, for the next five hours: :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It could also be something totally unexpected.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

They discovered Daleks Master Plan

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

scary ghost dog posted:

Gaiman as show-runner? :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ian Levine and Lawrence Miles

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

RTD as show-runner.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

bobkatt013 posted:

Its going to be an announcement that all the previous Doctors are in the special.
No it's going to be an announcement that everyone's favorite cool sexy movie poster femme fatale River Song is in the 50th anniversary special, and that Steven Moffat will be stepping down as the show runner of Doctor Who to make a spin off like TW/SJA called "The adventures of a prehistoric reptile woman, her wife, and their potato companion".

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I've got a wee bit of hope that the announcement is series 8 being renamed "Doctor Whos".

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

miasmacloud posted:

No it's going to be an announcement that everyone's favorite cool sexy movie poster femme fatale River Song is in the 50th anniversary special, and that Steven Moffat will be stepping down as the show runner of Doctor Who to make a spin off like TW/SJA called "The adventures of a prehistoric reptile woman, her wife, and their potato companion".

Not gonna lie, would watch dat show.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are all super cool and I don't know why people dislike them. :colbert:

Also I really hope we don't just get a continuous cycle of "Doctor for three years and then a new one".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It could be that we're getting four special episodes next year instead of a new series.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Aurora posted:

Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are all super cool and I don't know why people dislike them. :colbert:

Also I really hope we don't just get a continuous cycle of "Doctor for three years and then a new one".

Well I can see from their point that it helps keep the show interesting. New doctor means you can have a completely different persona and mannerisms.

However with that said I really do enjoy Matt Smith, so I hope he sticks around for a while longer!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I sincerely doubt they would cocktease bad news like this. Even if Smith is departing, expect some mention of who (sic) the next doctor will be.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Porkchop Express posted:

Not gonna lie, would watch dat show.
I would too. Here's to hoping. :angel:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
2 hours left... :ohdear::ohdear:

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Matt definitely going - on the front page of the Mail on Sunday and the Sunday Times. Check @hendopolis (a BBC bod) for front page images.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Welp.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't the Mail known to be full of poo poo though?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It is not just the mail
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10093520/Matt-Smith-to-quit-Doctor-Who-after-Christmas-special.html

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Telegraph article with quotes from Matt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10093520/Matt-Smith-to-quit-Doctor-Who-after-Christmas-special.html

The article is forward dated to midnight tonight, but is live on their site.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So much so that you wipe more on than off if you use it as toilet paper, but that's neither here nor there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

The Mail article has direct quotes from Moffat and Smith, though. Doubt they'd fabricate them.

quote:

Doctor Who is to undergo another regeneration – as Matt Smith has announced he’s quitting the role.

The actor is hanging up his sonic screwdriver after four years and will appear in just two more episodes: the keenly awaited 50th anniversary special in November, and the Christmas Day edition.

Smith, 30, said it had been ‘an honour’ to play the Doctor but added: ‘When you gotta go, you’ve gotta go.’

‘The fans are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show – and speculate more about the future of the show – in a way that I have never seen before, [their] dedication is truly remarkable.’

But he said he felt that Trenzalore, the planet that is home to the Doctor’s tomb, was finally calling him.

Steven Moffat, the show’s producer, said he would miss Smith, who had always kept him on his toes.
He said: ‘Every day, on every episode, in every set of rushes, Matt Smith surprised me: the way he’d turn a line, or spin on his heels, or make something funny, or out of nowhere make me cry, I just never knew what was coming next.’

... Matt :smith:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
:smithicide::smithicide::smithicide::smithicide:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
No. No no no no no no no no.
gently caress.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
This is not a good thing. :smithicide:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Today is gonna be a sad day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I'm off to cry a bit. Is Moffat leaving too?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Jesus this is terrible, now I wonder who they will have replace him? Hopefully they choose wisely!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Porkchop Express posted:

Jesus this is terrible, now I wonder who they will have replace him? Hopefully they choose wisely!

It'll probably be Rupert Grint. He's very vocal about how he wants the part and since I loving hate him he's a shoe in.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rhyno posted:

It'll probably be Rupert Grint. He's very vocal about how he wants the part and since I loving hate him he's a shoe in.

Oh gawd. If we have to have a Harry Potter actor, let's get Emma Watson as the first lady Doctor.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Next season is the John Hurt season.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

The article mentioned Damien Lewis, and while I don't think that's very likely, I would be 100% ok with that choice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Porkchop Express posted:

The article mentioned Damien Lewis, and while I don't think that's very likely, I would be 100% ok with that choice.

I'd punch as many babies as Satan required to make this happen but I think he's still tied to Homeland?

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/matt-smith-doctor-who.html

End of an era. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aurora posted:

Pretty sure it's only goons that dislike them. It'll be some little understood aspect of autism.

• Locked thread