Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, it's not him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dang, I was so sure, he's just so conspicuous.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, it's not him.

That looked a lot more like him in motion.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, he's done it before, I'm thinking young Davros gets sent forward to see what he becomes. Timey wimey.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, the mural on the wall of the underwater base appears to be the monster and Vikings from the next two parter..

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Secret 4-parter?!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The monster looks more like the one from next week's episode but bigger.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

cargohills posted:

The monster looks more like the one from next week's episode but bigger.

Oh, hmm, yes, it does. There's definitely a serpenty monster coming up to though, and I'm pretty sure it's in The Girl Who Died which is all vikingy. I could be wrong! :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, look at that thing!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What is it, Doctor?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Klungar posted:

What is it, Doctor?

A hunter destroyer mach-

Klungar posted:

What is it, Doctor?

A hunter destro-

Klungar posted:

What is it, Doctor?

A hunter destroyer machine.

Klungar posted:

It's got chicken legs!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A hunter destroyer mach-

A hunter destro-

A hunter destroyer machine.

:golfclap:

I'll explain later.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So yeah, this from the August trailer:

Is the serpent/Vikings mural from the underwater base, but with the Fisher King's face, and is in the next episode. It is confusing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Maisie is scheduled to be back again in a few episodes:

http://www.combom.co.uk/2015/10/maisie-williams-to-return-to-doctor-who.html

Same episode that also sees the return of Rigsy from Flatline.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

That's cool. I did hope she'd return.

They've done a lot better a keeping a lid on spoilers this season it seems

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Little_wh0re posted:

That's cool. I did hope she'd return.

They've done a lot better a keeping a lid on spoilers this season it seems

Look, ANYTHING would be better than literally half of the season goes online unfinished months earlier than expected.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Free Marcelo Carmago!

Seriously, by this point last year, I'm pretty sure we knew the general synopsis for the finale.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Is that the guy who's fuckup leaked it? What happened to him?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Little_wh0re posted:

Is that the guy who's fuckup leaked it? What happened to him?

I don't think it was necessarily his gently caress up, and I don't think we know because he's just a random translator dude in Miami

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Preview synopsis for next week's episode:

quote:

"Many years from now, in a distant future, the Le Verrier Space Station is orbiting the far-flung planet of Neptune when it mysteriously goes silent.

Fearing the crew of the Indo-Japanese vessel may need help, mission control sends a rescue party there, but when it arrives all they find is wreckage and footage of the space station’s final hours…

The Doctor and Clara arrive there too and find this is no ordinary space station. One of the crew, the brilliant scientist Professor Rassmussen has invented a machine that allows people to stay awake for months at a time…

After watching the footage left on Le Verrier, The Doctor and Clara embark upon a very dark adventure…

The Professor’s invention, The Morpheus Machine, allows people who use it to get enough rest in five minutes of sleep to keep them working for months at a time. But has it caused a terrifying side effect?

As the story of what happened on the space station slowly unfolds, it becomes clear that the Doctor and Clara’s concerns about the dangers of the Morpheus Machine are well founded.

Yet despite warnings that his invention poses a risk to the crew and may have catastrophic consequences for the human race, Professor Rasmussen refuses to sacrifice his invention. Can the Doctor and Clara save the day in time or is all hope lost?"

Looks like Mark Gatiss has been watching Event Horizon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the Lazarus Machine basically?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I hope they get Sean Pertwee back for the episode, really bring things full circle.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

This is the one that's rumored to be shot entirely in first-person, right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't say the preview looked like it was.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The Professor’s invention, The Morpheus Machine, allows people who use it to get enough rest in five minutes of sleep to keep them working for months at a time. But has it caused a terrifying side effect?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That's a side effect I can live with.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Have they ripped off that creepy pasta about Russian scientists keeping someone awake for days until "something" dormant and dangerous awakens in their consciousness? It turned out that sleep kept the bad things quiet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Have they ripped off that creepy pasta about Russian scientists keeping someone awake for days until "something" dormant and dangerous awakens in their consciousness? It turned out that sleep kept the bad things quiet.

Uh trust me if they were ripping off that idea, it wouldn't be the Creepy Pasta they were taking from.

It'd be the Forbidden Planet

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
More poo poo regarding episodes 10-12.

quote:

"Clara probably never expected her friend Rigsy to need the emergency TARDIS phone number she gave him after they defeated the Boneless in Bristol. Yet today he’s in big trouble, sentenced to die for a murder he can’t remember committing. The Doctor and Clara’s campaign to exonerate Rigsy leads them to a secret London street where alien refugees hide in plain sight. Once they gain access, they’ll learn the terrible answers to various questions. Such as: what is a chronolock? And what exactly does it mean to face the raven?"

Other bits:

Rigsy has just 537 minutes to live, with a tattoo on his back counting down, when the countdown hits zero he will face the raven
The Doctor has to prove Rigsy didn’t commit a murder
The story came from the concept of a Trap Street (and that was the original episode title). The Doctor, Clara and Rigsy are searching for it
The trap street here is an alien refugee camp
Alongside the return of Ashildr (Maisie Williams), the Judoon will also reappear
There is a “huge shock, something absolutely massive” and something you don’t want ruined

quote:

Long before the Time War, the Time Lords knew it was coming. Like a storm on the wind. There were many prophecies and stories. Legends before the fact. One of them was about a creature called the Hybrid: half Dalek, half Time Lord. The ultimate warrior. But whose side would it be on? Would it bring peace, or destruction? Was it real, or a fantasy?

“I confess: I know the Hybrid is real,” the Doctor proclaims. “I know where it is, and what it is. I confess: I am afraid.”

Other bits:

The two episodes are very different. Episode 11 is essentially one 45-minute monologue with the Doctor
Moffat wondered “How do you break the Doctor” Would he still be a hero without witness and reward? “It’s putting the Doctor alone in hell”
There’s a scene where the Doctor imagines a TARDIS in his head and tries to explain what’s really going on
11 was meant to be a money saving episode but it didn’t quite work that way. It takes place in a “rotating mechanical castle full of visual effects”
Capaldi says there’s a “sadness, a romance, and tragedy” to episode 12
Episode 12 begins “very much like a Western”
Ohila and the Sisterhood of Karn are back, Moffat sees Ohila as the Doctor’s mother figure
Director Rachel Talalay says Moffat has layered in a lot of things throughout the series which you never thought were important – “You have no clue what the series arc is, or how Clara leaves”
The finale is the fallout of Clara sort of becoming the Doctor.
Moffat thinks if the Doctor found Gallifrey he’d run away again. He thinks Clara is the same with Earth now. She has lost her “sense of home”
DWM hints that Moffat may have changed something in the mythology, something Moffat was quite nervous about doing
Episode 11 pushes the Doctor to the brink of madness, Ep 12 is what happens next “if the Doctor has lost his moral compass, if you got him really angry and gave him nothing to fight for – an angry, off the rails Doctor”

I'm really looking forward to Face The Raven and Heaven Sent, and I'm hoping that Hell Bent doesn't turn into a huge mess, as finales tend to do.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
a trap street by the way is a non-existent street that map makers would slip into maps so that if someone plagiarized them they'd be able to prove it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

To all the talk that next season would be smaller, or not even exist:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-06/steven-moffat-can-confirm-absolutely-that-there-will-be-a-full-series-of-doctor-who-next-year

quote:

Steven Moffat has strongly denied tabloid reports that Doctor Who will run next year with a reduced number of episodes.
The denial comes in response to a newspaper story which alleges that next year's series of the BBC1 sci-fi show will be halved so that lead actor Peter Capaldi can turn director on other projects – including a film based on his time in Glasgow punk band The Dreamboys and two episodes of US sitcom Veep. However, speaking to RadioTimes.com, Moffat said that the story was "bunk," and that he could "confirm absolutely" that he is not making fewer episodes.
"We’re making a full series. I can confirm that," said Moffat. "I’m making a full series of 12 episodes, plus a Christmas special. I don’t know when it goes out. That’s up to someone else. And even if I did know – which I genuinely don’t – I wouldn’t be allowed to say so as I have absolutely no say in it whatsoever.
"[But] it’s not being reduced in size. We’re not making fewer episodes. That’s all complete bunk. I can confirm that absolutely."
Rumours of a reduced 2016 series have been swirling for a few months, with Private Eye first reporting in August that in lieu of a full series there will instead be several specials – a la David Tennant's swan song in 2009 – allegedly due to Moffat's commitment to his other series Sherlock, which goes into production next year.
Moffat is not the only one denying the claims, though, with Capaldi himself also having responded to a question about the possibility of a shorter series by confirming "That's not what I've been told... that's not what I'm contracted for."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I have no interest in this hybrid nonsense.

Also, Michael Pickwoard the shows production designer has confirmed that the show won't start production on Season 10 until March, much later than usual, so the series is probably going to bridge 2016/16 with the Christmas special in the middle.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
elements of a time lord and a dalek, combining the two into something not quite as good as either

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The last episode sounds like it has the real potential for a 45 min shitfest. I'm looking forward to the Rigsy episode though.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I was holding out hope that this hybrid nonsense was just a red herring.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I hope next week the Doctor sees a mule and freaks out

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Remember the last time we had a Dalek hybrid?

You know, the muppet in Daleks Take Manhattan?

THAT WENT SO WELL WHY NOT DO THIS AGAIN

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

You know, the muppet in Daleks Take Manhattan?

THAT WENT SO WELL WHY NOT DO THIS AGAIN

The guy mentioned in that very episode that he was YA FYOO'CHA!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

What about when we had one in Evil of the Daleks :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
EXCLUSIVE IMAGE OF DALEK/TIME LORD HYBRID

• Locked thread