Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

new thread title right here

I have hope for the season, but it's more like seeing two semis on a collision course and just watching it happen because you can't do anything to stop it. This is Moffat's last season, boys. Just :laffo: if you don't think this will be a mainlining of every single one of his favorite tropes and plot points.

You thought The Wedding of River Song was bad? We haven't even begun to scale peak Moffat. We've just been sitting at base camp. :magical:

I like The Wedding of River Song because it's bad and dumb in a fun way. (My tastes are bad and dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
who under RTD is bad and dumb in a fun way, who under moffat is bad and dumb in a way convinced that it's smart.

RTD just tells a story with a lot of weird and dumb elements that are insane but somewhat entertaining like people exploding into fat and daleks running a deadly reality show, Moffat has poo poo where he tries to justify Clara calling the doctor on the phone and saying POND as something that could happen and that is oh so clever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jsor posted:

I want to be clear that my post was a joke riffing on the episode title, making the most Moffat season I could think of out of just that. It was hopefully not an actual leak.

I refer you to the "All Rivers grow out of Ponds" debacle from a few years ago

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dabir posted:

Look they can't just call every episode 'Terror of the Bog-Brush'.

But enough about Capaldi's hair.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Martha Jones is a Rutan Sontaran clone :v:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

new thread title right here

I have hope for the season, but it's more like seeing two semis on a collision course and just watching it happen because you can't do anything to stop it. This is Moffat's last season, boys. Just :laffo: if you don't think this will be a mainlining of every single one of his favorite tropes and plot points.

You thought The Wedding of River Song was bad? We haven't even begun to scale peak Moffat. We've just been sitting at base camp. :magical:

:golfclap:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Doctor Who SPOILERS: We haven't even begun to scale peak Moffat. We've just been sitting at base camp

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That one was absolutely hilarious.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Dabir posted:

Look they can't just call every episode 'Terror of the Bog-Brush'.

One would be a start :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Episode titles for Class:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh dear

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey this apparently for kids TV series, should we make one of the titles based on a rape revenge book/movie?

Sure why not!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

Hey this apparently for kids TV series, should we make one of the titles based on a rape revenge book/movie?

Sure why not!

It's not for kids, it's for young adults.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently Class isn't actually for kids. It just happens to be set in a school.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I like that the premise of Class is essentially showing more of the chaos and destruction that The Doctor leaves in his wake.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

I like that the premise of Class is essentially showing more of the chaos and destruction that The Doctor leaves in his wake.

Hmmm... I'm split. It's a good pitch for a spin-off but the parent show has used that theme so much since the revival that it feels really cynical now. Like someone suing a fireman for bruising their back when being carried out of a fire. It's a very modern, bitter take on the character.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

PriorMarcus posted:

Hmmm... I'm split. It's a good pitch for a spin-off but the parent show has used that theme so much since the revival that it feels really cynical now. Like someone suing a fireman for bruising their back when being carried out of a fire. It's a very modern, bitter take on the character.

It's a theme so overplayed by this point that I can't see what could possibly be new or interesting about it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wheezle posted:

It's a theme so overplayed by this point that I can't see what could possibly be new or interesting about it.

They talk about it nonstop but they never really show him going overboard or doing anything more then what's needed to save the planet for the billionth time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The main two i remember are Waters Of Mars and Hell Bent. I think I'm missing something though because I don't remember that theme cropping up much in years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

2house2fly posted:

The main two i remember are Waters Of Mars and Hell Bent. I think I'm missing something though because I don't remember that theme cropping up much in years.

It was a thing for Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang.

Kind of a theme for the 50th Anniversary (he was finally dealing with all the guilt from what he did during the Time War).

Everything with Ashildr after Girl Who Died fits in too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It comes up in The Long Game / Bad Wolf too; he shows up, solves a surface level problem, and then leaves, leaving things as bad (or worse) than he found them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sounds pretty nonstop, yeah.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm pretty sure most of the revival companions have also lectured him about the trouble he leaves behind at one point or another.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the revival companions have also lectured him about the trouble he leaves behind at one point or another.

Davros was doing it too in Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The title Class is really loving awful and they should have just called it Coal Hill Academy instead.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They should just take old Press Gang scripts and make one of the characters an Ood.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

They should just take old Press Gang scripts and make one of the characters an Ood.

Bloody Moffat doesn't have any original thoughts

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently Class isn't actually for kids. It just happens to be set in a school.

Of all the dumb ideas this franchise has had, this one's about in the middle.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So is this ultimately the reason the season is delayed until next year? Like they want starved fans to watch this crap instead?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

So is this ultimately the reason the season is delayed until next year? Like they want starved fans to watch this crap instead?

Seems more likely that Moffat went over budget again and this is a stopgap.

That said, it's Patrick Ness. Kinda looking forward to it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Joke's on Moffat, I've skipped every spin-off thus far and Class won't be the one to break my streak.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sarah Jane's show was okay. I miss Sarah Jane.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Joke's on Moffat, I've skipped every spin-off thus far and Class won't be the one to break my streak.

You even missed this?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BSam posted:

You even missed this?

Why does K-9 look like a prop the the 90's Lost in Space movie?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

The_Doctor posted:

It was made for BBC 3, a channel aimed at 20-somethings. Then the BBC scrapped BBC 3, because they decided 20-somethings don't watch TV any more. :doh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Maelstache posted:

It was made for BBC 3, a channel aimed at 20-somethings. Then the BBC scrapped BBC 3, because they decided 20-somethings don't watch TV any more. :doh:

Actually they moved it online due to severe budget cuts imposed by the Tory government.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

More Class news!

quote:

The episode titled ‘Nightvisiting’ will premiere on Saturday 29th October on BBC Three. Time to confirmed.

Synopsis

London is infiltrated by an eerie alien with the ability to morph into the shape of lost loved ones.

Tanya has an unexpected visitor come to her window in the dead of night – and she’s not the only one, as Ram and Miss Quill face their own startling visitors.

Confronted with these emotional encounters, the team must overcome the persuasion of this strange new threat, and battle through the streets to stop Tanya from being lost forever.

Emotional character from the past? Is that something you want to put in episode 3 when it carries virtually no weight?

At least it's not an alien sex gas, I guess...?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I swear I've seen that premise before. Isn't that a TNG episode? The one where the kid loses his mom and then an alien assumes her form or something?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Emotional character from the past? Is that something you want to put in episode 3 when it carries virtually no weight?

TNG put a "Characters act differently!" episode second :laugh:

The_Doctor posted:

More Class news!

At least it's not an alien sex gas, I guess...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PuqSMB8uU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I swear I've seen that premise before. Isn't that a TNG episode? The one where the kid loses his mom and then an alien assumes her form or something?

I can't speak for Trek, but it's not uncommon -- Buffy and Babylon 5 both did it as well.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

More or less what happens in Big Finish's "The Zygon Who Fell to Earth" from the 8th Doctor Adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The very first Star Trek back in 66 had an alien assume the shape of the dead wife of an professor.

• Locked thread