Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe not so much in writing or tone, but this season looks like an RTD season shot in HD. It's like Moffat brought back a bunch of RTD-era cameramen and cinematographers.

Or maybe not, I know almost nothing about the production side of this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe not so much in writing or tone, but this season looks like an RTD season shot in HD. It's like Moffat brought back a bunch of RTD-era cameramen and cinematographers.

Or maybe not, I know almost nothing about the production side of this show.

I don't agree at all. It definitely looks different than the other Moffat season's, and in my opinion, not as nice, but it doesn't look like RTD at all. RTD seasons always looked the best when they took place in the real world, on the streets and near known landmarks, which is good because he returned to them so often for his stories. Moffat on the other hand looks the best when he's in a fantastical location where the post production effects don't clash so much with the surroundings, but this season has felt a lot more small scale and pedestrian, so the effects just make the thing seem over processed and often, incongruous to the tone of the episode.

It's why I would've rather seen RTD era tackle Into the Dalek or Moffat era tackle The End of the World.

Also, RTD was never as flashy to lenses as Moffat likes to be. The problem is he clearly pushes for more fanciful camera work and compositions but the directors often use them without motivation. It's why the emotional moments don't land, and why even Clara getting worn down from her adventures is filmed like a big action set piece with no internal rhythm.

In the end the problems with both of their era's filming styles extend from being overly zealous with their series wide ethos. RTD had Doctor Who taking place in the here and now, with Dalek's gliding down suburban streets. Moffat has Doctor Who taking place in the world of big budget Hollywood and he can't slow down even when the scene calls for it.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 30, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They've definitely gotten a bit more creative with the cinematography this season, which is definitely reminiscent of RTD's more whimsical tone. I really like it. The past few years were kinda stuffy looking in comparison.

So, on GB someone pointed to a clip someone posted of the filming of the "you know who I am" scene. Here, you can see what follows after Capaldi turn around and one can assume that Missy elaborates on who she is. Check out :18, and a few people think she's saying "...Rani for short". It's a slow news day, so make of it what you will. I think it might add some fuel to the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jRKsixuDs

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 30, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

HD DAD posted:

They've definitely gotten a bit more creative with the cinematography this season, which is definitely reminiscent of RTD's more whimsical tone. I really like it. The past few years were kinda stuffy looking in comparison.

So, on GB someone pointed to a clip someone posted of the filming of the "you know who I am" scene. Here, you can see what follows after Capaldi turn around and one can assume that Missy elaborates on who she is. Check out :18, and a few people think she's saying "...Rani for short". It's a slow news day, so make of it what you will. I think it might add some fuel to the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jRKsixuDs

That's actually pretty clear in my opinion, oh well the guessing was fun.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

david... posted:

I'm going to go ahead and bet that Missy is the Rani and Seb is the Master and they've become some sort of renegade Time Lord double-act.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

david... posted:

Yeah, she is DEFINITELY saying "... Rani, for short."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is rani being a shortening of something new to canon because if that's so there are not many canidates and I don't like any of them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I couldn't hear anything in the audio, and there's weird visual distortion in :20. Has the clip been edited?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That's just someone's phone vid filtered through an image stabilizer to reduce shaking. It has that warpy effect sometimes. And in a recent interview with the director, she said that she had Michelle Gomez mouth the reveal so that it couldn't be heard, and they'd just ADR it in later.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Frankly, I'm not sure why Missy being Rani would be freaking out the Production people so much like many have been saying in their ambiguous finale hype interviews they've been doing. Her being Romana I could see would make people jazzed, but Rani? Have they even seen Rani's stories?

I'm fine with Missy being Rani, but Moffat is asking a lot of the audience to be shocked and excited by that reveal if it's true. At least with Romana there would be some strained justification for the "boyfriend" line. Plus she has a legitimate fanbase and previous solid run in the show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well one huge problem with it is that it takes a female character from the past who, at best, believed the Doctor to be a baboon and waste of time, and brings her back...to be in love with the Doctor?

That's just really loving dumb.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Acne Rain posted:

Is rani being a shortening of something new to canon because if that's so there are not many canidates and I don't like any of them.

It's a title, a sort of Indian princess thing. Never been short for anything.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
She could also be saying "...Rani, of course".

Honestly I'd be okay with her being Romana, and it would make slightly more sense in regards to her feelings about the Doctor. But eh I guess we'll see in like 26 hours.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, Rani was one of the kids in The Sarah Jane Adventures, wasn't she? :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Metal Loaf posted:

Sure, Rani was one of the kids in The Sarah Jane Adventures, wasn't she? :v:

Rani was. The Rani is the definitive article.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DoctorWhat posted:

Apart from his entire stint as a corpse, in which he was hateful and (even more) murderous in a way he'd never been before and which, in the classic series, he immidiately stopped being once he became Ainley.

And when he WAS Ainley, he hung out alone, in a cave, maintaining a racist disguise complete with talking-to-himself, for no goddamn reason.

And then he became Eric Roberts with his obsession for The Asian Child.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!
If Missy is Romana...could that meant that the Nethersphere is...E-space? Or has it been confirmed that she took part in the Time War?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Crazy Man posted:

If Missy is Romana...could that meant that the Nethersphere is...E-space? Or has it been confirmed that she took part in the Time War?

Romana got out of E-Space and became President of Gallifrey. There's two decades of EU material backing that up.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Romana got out of E-Space and became President of Gallifrey. There's two decades of EU material backing that up.

While they could also retcon this like they did with the Star Wars EU, I highly doubt it. Still, I'd rather her be Romana than the Rani at this point. I can't see how they could pull off the latter well.

Less than 24 hours to go!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I'd love to have Romana back, just not while Moffatt is running the show.

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005
Posted on Reddit (Yeah, I know), but it does sound mostly legit to me, at least:

While talking to Clara on his cellphone (she may or may not be pregnant), Danny gets hit by a car. The impact smashes the windshield, and he dies or is very near death. Needless to say, Clara is horrified about this; she knows a mysterious company called 3W can save him (or at least give him a nice afterlife). The Doctor doesn't want to go to 3W, though. Clara freaks out on the Doctor by throwing all the seven Tardis keys into a volcano except one. He gives in, but is understandably pissed about it.

At 3W, Clara and the Doctor meet with some doctors, including one named Dr Chang. Danny gets cyberconverted, and we see flashbacks to his time in the military. Heaven / Paradise / whatever is the Matrix-like world all the Cyberconverted individuals live in; Seb walks around with Danny and introduces him to Heaven. Somewhere in here, the Doctor or someone gives a very dark, pessimistic talk about death that's sure to piss of the bereaved and frighten children.

By the way, Gus' monocle logo from Mummy on the Orient Express is a rotated Cyberman eye, which is a recurring logo in Heaven.

Missy's identity was surprisingly well covered up. She's probably not a totally new character, given the reports of the excited reactions of the director and ADR dude. Some people claiming to have seen the screening said she was the Cybercontroller from Nightmare in Silver, but they might have been lying. Her name probably starts with an R, but the Rani is probably out of the picture, given that Big Finish is working with her right now. The Doctor's immediate reaction is to freeze and sort of run away from her, so there's that.

Missy and 3W are converting all the dead of the world into Cybermen. "All the world's graves are about to give birth." We see the tombstones of Amy and Rory and Clara from The Snowmen. The Cybermen recreate their famous steps-of-St-Paul's-Cathedral shot from The Invasion. And there are lots of grim jokes about death and the afterlife. Moffat is putting the "body horror" back into the Cybermen.

The cliffhanger ending involves the Doctor being cornered by Cybermen. All reports say that it's a bit abrupt. Missy also has a sort of Cyberman version of the Moment (or something like that).

In the hour-long second part, UNIT somehow betrays the Doctor. He may or may not join with Missy and the Cybermen against UNIT. And he may or may not snog with Missy. Nobody really has any idea how it will end, but the best speculation says that something something Danny, something something Clara's child something power of love something something.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

MixxMaster posted:

Her name probably starts with an R, but the Rani is probably out of the picture, given that Big Finish is working with her right now.

The Doctor's immediate reaction is to freeze and sort of run away from her

So most likely Rory, Rose or River Song.

kant
May 12, 2003

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

So most likely Rory, Rose or River Song.

Yep and we all know it's probably River. It's just too painful to contemplate so we hope for ANY alternative.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

Whoever Missy is: http://imgur.com/X5ujRSs

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

River Anomalous Networked Intelligence. Rani for short.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

PriorMarcus posted:

River Anomalous Networked Intelligence. Rani for short.

Ms. Rassilon, Missi for short.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 1, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well, she is The Master which is better than some of the other options.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

That was pretty cool considering I was expecting the Rani

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Well, I was...partially right.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stairs posted:

Well, I was...partially right.

Stairs posted:

Missy is The Rani, you pedant.

Sure.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So that was pretty cool. They really should never have teased the Cybermen being involved in the promo stuff. Their reveal would of been more interesting.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
I was kind of hoping Missy wouldn't be behind the Cybermen. I was hoping for a bit more character development, possibly The Master no longer having the drums in his head and becoming some sort of anti-hero or Doctor extreme. Someone who'd quite happily flip the switch that ended the Daleks with no qualms at all. Ah well.

EDIT: Yeah, spoiler tags removed.

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 2, 2014

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Darth Ronson posted:

The Master no longer having the drums in his head

Seriously?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Why the gently caress are people spoiler tagging things in the SPOILER thread yet again?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Why the gently caress are people spoiler tagging things in the SPOILER thread yet again?

...for an episode that's already aired.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It probably took you both longer to type out those complaints than it did to roll over the spoilers.

Yes, your technically right, but why waste time complaining.

The real question is what did you think of Missy being The Master?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I actually support the use of spoiler tags when they're followed immediately by a reference which is so specific it makes the spoiler tags pointless :v:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

PriorMarcus posted:

It probably took you both longer to type out those complaints than it did to roll over the spoilers.

Yes, your technically right, but why waste time complaining.

The real question is what did you think of Missy being The Master?

I thought SNAKES N CAKES meant why spoiler the master and leave the drums unspoiled. There is no other thing that can be in that black bar so why bother spoiler it at all?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like how Missy being short for Mistress because she's the female Master is something a ton of people immediately guessed when she first showed up, but then dismissed for being way too straightforward and obvious. Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Chairman Capone posted:

I like how Missy being short for Mistress because she's the female Master is something a ton of people immediately guessed when she first showed up, but then dismissed for being way too straightforward and obvious. Whoops!

I did not dismiss it because I am not a weird idiot and it was definitely going to be the reveal.

• Locked thread