Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Capaldi's first series is done, on to Season Nine!

Before continuing this thread... please realize, THIS IS THE SPOILER THREAD! Yes, this is the spoiler thread, wherein we spoil that Peter Capaldi is actually the Valeyard. Sorry, you just got spoiled sucker!

As for what we have heard about Season 9 from official news and spy photos:

CONFIRMED:

Capaldi and Coleman are both back and the title for the season 9 premiere is "The Magician's Apprentice".

The series will again start airing in the fall, with a full series run. Filming for season 9 began on January 5th.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Might be interesting if 8 regenerated on purpose, knowing he needed a harder edge regeneration to handle the Time War.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, he was in the San Francisco(?) scene with Troughton. He immediately walks in front of Clara before Troughton runs past her. It's not clear if it's him or not, but later in the episode during the replay of those bits, the Clara's "again and again and again" dialogue hit the "agains" when meeting the Doctor, and the guy who looks like 8 is one of those.

So that means 2 and 8 had a Two Doctors thing apparently at some point. Get on it Big Finish!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

If Matt is leaving, I wonder if we'll get the replacement news as well or if that'll wait. The rumor going around the last few weeks was that Ben Daniels was selected, but that just sounded like typical rumor mongering.

Talk is the news might have possibly been prematurely leaked already, at least according to someone Ian Levine knows who then informed him. If that is the case, the news was supposedly that the next season will start in August of next year, run for 12 episodes and feature a brand new Doctor.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 1, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That was never anything official other than off hand interviews with Matt. In fact, it seemed like ever other month it was flip flopping.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

"The Valeyard" is the Doctor's maleness and thus evil side, he'll be expelled, paving the wave for the Doctor to take his rightful place as the woman he was meant to be.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Wonder if they would go with an older actor like Capaldi if Moffat has some plans to tie him in to the Valeyard. I know that really doesn't make any sense beyond them being around the same age when they will play their parts, but the recent mention of the Valeyard at least highlights that it's a plot point that Moffat is aware of to some degree. Whether he'll be the one to tackle the Valeyard though is another matter.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

While I doubt the Rani will ever come back, the Valeyard got a name drop in the most recent episode so I wouldn't entirely discount the possibility.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

They're not going to be dredging up some relatively obscure stuff, from the worst period of Doctor Who history, to serve as the focus of the series. It'd alienate the majority of the viewing audience.

I understand what you mean. I guess it's just that when Moffat brings back the Great Intelligence, a character from two incomplete serials, I never say never.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Guess I'll put this in the spoiler thread since we know more about Hurt's Doctor.

Read an interesting theory on Capaldi's Doctor on Gallifreybase, wherein we might get a Watcher situation with Hurt's Doctor. Something like 11 finally accepts Hurt's character as worthy of the name Doctor and reincorporates him, resulting in 12. While the actor age thing between regenerations doesn't actually matter, the theory did strike a note with me. A younger Doctor with an older Doctor making a middle aged Doctor. That could also possibly somehow account for Hurt as a regeneration without messing up the number scheme.

The one thing working against that is I don't think Hurt is in the Christmas special, and I would think that type of situation would only happen if we can somehow address Hurt being accepted by the Doctor, and that would seem like something kept in the 50th special.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

They should totally ask Peter Davison to play him.

That's been the rumor for a few months now. May not hold any water, but it's out there.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, the Beeb were able to get him for Merlin on a recurring basis, so I suspect there's every possibility they could do the same for Who.

His Merlin work was like a day of V/O work in a studio sound room. It wasn't filming. Not that he couldn't do filming, it's just Merlin isn't really a good example.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....again-and-again

Nothing huge in that per se, more a reading between the lines thing. Davison seems awfully knowledgeable about Moffat specifically doing something about the 12 regenerations thing. And with the rumors of Davison reprising the role of Omega in the 50th special, a episode which would seem to address regenerations with the Hurt thing, that would seem to help the "Davison is in the 50th" idea.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The 50th trailer is supposed to air tomorrow but leaked early:

http://io9.com/first-real-trailer-for-the-doctor-who-anniversary-dale-1461175336

This is going to be awesome.

The whole Piper is an "apocalyptic" Rose thing looks like she isn't exactly Rose after all. The "Bad Wolf" thing in the poster and her look there makes it seem like she's some form of alternate take on her.

Teek fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 9, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

He's not the Doctor. He's clearly "THE WAR DOCTOR" as the credits states. :colbert: Though I'm not sure I like that as his official merchandising name or whatever, thought they would go with something else. Of course, first he was THE DOCTOR, then in this, he's THE WAR DOCTOR. Maybe the 50th will give him yet another name.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Astroman posted:

Yeah, but the fact of the matter is Capaldi is definitely the last life, and if Metacrisis counts he's the start of a new cycle.

From what I've been reading about the Christmas episode, it does appear that 11 is going to be the last in the cycle, with the War Doctor and Meta-Crisis using up two of the regenerations. Essentially giving Capaldi new reign as 12 and a new cycle to kick off the first episode of the next 50...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

As far as the mini-sode things go, they're also going to be releasing "The Last Day" at some point. It passed the British Board of Film Classification system, and was listed as almost 4 minutes long. The cert wasn't clear if it's a BTS thing or if it'll be a prequel-like thing. I'm hoping, that if it doesn't air by the 50th, that'll mean it's a post-50th thing, possibly the Hurt->Eccleston regeneration. Making both Night and Last Day nice bookends to the 50th.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/the-day-of-the-doctor-gets-a-minisode-but-whats-the-1457653919

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Day of the Doctor clip from Children in Need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOm51xkz61M

Partially addresses the fact 11 somewhat remembers meeting himself as 10. Hopefully we'll get more on that, as it seems odd at the moment.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 15, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Last Day mini-sode is apparently an exclusive to the 50th DVD/BR, so it appears to be tied into that story. Current rumor-mongering is that it will feature a return appearance from Doctor Nine. The rumors, for as vague as they are, aren't clear whether it will be new footage or re-purposed though. Per the same source, there's some small chance it could be released online after the 50th though, I would think possibly because of how well over the McGann thing went.

Even if it's not officially released, I'm sure it will be leaked online sometime around the day it comes out at the beginning of December. Could all be bunk, hopefully Chris will pop back up in some form though. I could see him showing up for an hour to film a Hurt regeneration with a simple "Fantastic!". That would be enough for me really.

If it is a Hurt regen, seems like it would be a nice "post-credits" coda. Also makes me wish it and Night of the Doctor could somehow be worked into an official "Expanded edition" version of the 50th, and not something you have to go to separately. Night->50th->Credits->Last Day

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 18, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

On Nine in the 50th:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/nov/18/steven-moffat-doctor-who-interview

Sounds like the plan was for the War Doctor to always be a thing regardless of Eccelston, probably to ensure Moffat got to handle the 13 regenerations things. However Chris declined to take part in the full episode... but Moffat then does say:

The Guardian posted:

Moffat had met him for a "very amiable and gentlemanly" conversation and the actor considered it "quite seriously" before saying no. "It's just not the sort of thing he does," concludes Moffat. "The ninth Doctor turns up for the battle but not the party.

Last bit being the most interesting. One could take that as, Chris declined to take part in the extended 50th shooting, but did do a short bit...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Tom Baker claims he's in the 50th:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-sagers/exclusive-tom-baker-to-ap_b_4295773.html

Of course it's Tom though, so he could just be loving with us.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Well, turns out The Last Day was released on iTunes in the UK, not seen it yet elsewhere. Apparently it's just a non-Doctor involved short about Arcadia. Guess that lessens the chance for Eccelston.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Call back to a previous mention of the Time War in the show, I believe 10 mentioned being there when it fell.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Well some of the 50th spoilers were correct. :argh: To one about Davison being Omega.

Biggest complaint was that Eccelston did indeed bail on the thing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, apparently it's just a comedy thing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, you get Eccelston's face for like 3 frames. It wasn't much but it was something, shame it didn't go for a few second longer.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Here's a supposed spoiler breakdown of the Christmas Special via Gallifrey Base. If true, it's obviously missing a lot of context for some things, like the Silence apparently being good guys in the whole matter and the cracks of time appearing:

Gallifrey Base posted:

Christmas Special: (possibly called Time Of The Doctor)

There's a signal, a bell tolling, calling out through the universe and touching every race. Most races are inexplicably afraid, even Daleks Cybermen Angels etc. But our Doctor is, as ever, very curious! He and Clara follow the signal to a small, wooded, snowy place where they are attacked by Angels. The Doctor gets wounded and fears his leg is infected.

They meet a couple (Del's wife off Only Fools and Horses, and Eddie the Barman from Hustle) who explain that they are on the outskirts of Christmas Town, a quaint little place enfolded in a truth field which has always been there, seemingly naturally.

On closer examination and exploration the Doctor figures that the signal is emanating from the clock tower in the centre of town. Further investigation reveals that the planet is surrounded by enemies old and new, all wanting to crush the place.

Chatting with those in the know, the Doctor realises that this is Trenzalore! The enemies are holding back their attack for fear that the Doctor - through legend - will unleash the might of the Time Lords on them. The Daleks fear this the most. So, the Doctor decides he has no choice but to protect this innocent town (which just happens to house the target of the universal forces of evil) from utter destruction. He has to stay. He has to help!

Realising that this could take a while he sends Clara to safety in the TARDIS; she won't live for half the time this'll take to sort out... So now he's stranded there in Christmas Town. He takes up residency in the tower where he becomes something of a local celeb! The man who takes care of the town! He spends 300 or so years fighting the invading monsters, side by side with the Mainframe - both are defending the town, after an agreement was made in their mutual interest! He defeats Angels and Cybermen (wooden ones too) and Sontarans and who knows what else. All the while, the question is asked: Doctor Who?

Clara visits, with help, and finds the Doctor making and fixing toys for the children of the town. He's old. Aged. He's lost that infected leg, it turned to stone so had to go. Now he has a wooden one! And he also has a Cyberhead mate called Handles who keeps him company, keeps him chatting... The Doctor explains his situation to Clara (us) and we see the battles he is left to fight. An endless, bitter war. A war that could kill him; he has no regenerations remaining! This is his last life.

(When Kovarian said "an endless bitter war, against you!" In AGMGTW she didn't mean between the a Silence and him, but between him and everyone else, fought on the Silence's doorstep.)

The stalemate holds, the battle rages, the Doctor defeats all sorts of monsters. Until only the ever-defiant Daleks remain in position, waiting and waiting. 900 years of battle and waiting and waiting and more waiting. 900 years of not being able to end it all. The Daleks fear that if they attack then the Doctor will unleash the Time Lords and that means an end for them. If the Doctor leaves Christmas Town then the place burns with no deterrent. So both sides sit and wait... And wait... And wait...

Until the Doctor realises his time is up, his life is at an end. He has no regenerations left (thanks to Ten's vanity in Journey's End and Hurt's Recently revealed existence) so this really is the end. He takes his rage and frustration to the Daleks one last time: a last stand, an "I've got nothing, so kill me if you want" defiant eff-you. They close in on him when, inexplicably, a familiar crack of light opens in the sky and from it emerges a second chance! The Doctor is able, once more, to regenerate! Breaking all rules, it's going to be a hell of a light show! The exploding energy from his regeneration blasts Daleks all around, sending them burning into the wastes of space and the battleground around the town...

...thanks to the mysterious Tasha Lem, Clara has been shown this, from a distance, and - knowing he SHOULD just die - she's overjoyed that he appears to be changing once more. She races to where she saw it happen only to find the TARDIS, open, waiting... our story continues! Hopefully for another 50 years!

From what I can gather from other posts from the spoiler provider, the Silence were trying to stop the Doctor from eventually coming there for fear he would be forced to open the time lock and re-start the Time War. We now know though that didn't exactly happen via the 50th.

In reply to another poster, the spoiler provider also added:

"The cracks appear throughout the episode. They're haunting Eleven as the years tick by. I guess they're waiting for the right moment."

Also no idea what they're doing with Tasha Lem, perhaps a chance for a return of Romana living under a different name?

Other spoiler rumors say that the Time Lord are responsible for the cracks, and they gift the Doctor a new set of regenerations as thanks for saving them.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 25, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Spoilers always leak out for episodes though, this is nothing new. This is just quite a bit. GB is treating the person like a reliable source too, so the user has apparently given solid info in the past. The spoiler provider also has said they don't know everything, that's just a summary of what they do have.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

I really, really hope not. A lot of it might work, except for the fact that the Doctor, the 11th, SHOULD KNOW HE HAS ONE MORE REGENERATION. The 13th shows up to help in the Galifrey fight! He's the one who REMEMBERS that right?

Depends, did the earlier Doctors remember the later Doctors once they returned to their time? I don't believe so. So feasibly he wouldn't remember 13 coming to help. Not sure if that applies to the Curator either. He seems to be his own thing. Obliviously a *wink* to the fans, but still working within the context of the story.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

Let me be the first to say that I hope none of that is true. It sounds like poo poo.

I tend to agree, frankly I think it would have worked better too without forcing it to be a Christmas episode as well.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Certainly sounds Christmassy, with the snow, a village called Christmas Town and the Doctor aging into some sort of Santa-like figure.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Astroman posted:

Haha are you kidding? The Doctor becomes a toymaker in Christmas Town? Is this "Doctor Who meets Rankin-Bass?"

That's nothing new for a Christmas special though, they tend to be schmaltzy like that. I'm not saying I believe the rumored outline, it's just something several spoiler providers are saying are it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Astroman posted:

So where was this leaker with the 50th?

Leaks can happen from anywhere really. Never trust the craft services guy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Forktoss posted:

The word is it's going to be a 12-episode run, possibly counting the Christmas special and having that as the series finale. Some people say this is because Who is produced/sold abroad in 14-episode blocks (13 episodes per series and a Christmas special) and that the 2013 specials took a spot each, but I'm not sure if that holds water.

Current fan dreams egged on by possible rumored spoiler provider hints may lean towards a release of an Easter special in a few months. One thing which has helped fuel that speculation is that they're apparently filming episode 1 first, when they usually shoot things out of order.

Would be fantastic to get that, then get the remaining 11/12 + Christmas special later this year.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I wouldn't mind them addressing it, but only if they mention some of the others. Maxil, Salamander, the Abbot of Amboise. Heck even throw Princess Strella in there for more time lord doppleganger-ness. I think Salamander would be the best plot hook for the new series to tie back to, since Enemy of the World made a big recent splash.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

E: change the thread title to "Introducing Peter Capaldi as Jon Pertwee". Now.

This. I'll put in the request.

Solid design, really would like to see it without the jacket since that's apparently a cardigan under there.

Anyone found in color tweaked versions of it yet, like reverse red/blue one?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

OP updated with the relevant Pertwee love.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

News from today's filming. Looks to be from the end of the episode, Clara takes a call from 11, then passes the phone to 12 and they talk to each other.

https://twitter.com/ryanfarrr

Guy went out for milk and stumbled across them filming. Capaldi in his new costume, and he's wearing the wedding ring. Apparently it's his real one which he usually never takes off.

Some GB fans are thinking the phone thing is reference to Clara finding it off that hook at the end of Time of the Doctor. Not sure if that's existing footage they're going to carry over, or if they're just getting Matt to do some voiceover.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 28, 2014

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Via Timeboy, one of the reliable GB spoiler posters:

Timeboy posted:

Right, so Eleven is calling Clara during the time between the Daleks' destruction and Clara entering the TARDIS with all the clothes on the floor. I wrote some dialogue down that I'll type up later, but the jist is that he knows she'll find it difficult adjusting, so he phones her.

Twelve asks who it is on the phone. Eleven hears Twelve, and Twelve hears Eleven (over the phone) and they shout to each other "Is that The Doctor?" to simultaneously. No idea if it goes further than that, though.

On a separate note, I can back up the rumours of the new TARDIS exterior. I've been reliably informed that there is a new one from episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I guess of interest to Danny Pink, there's a character called Colonel Blue in an episode.

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/doctor-spoilers-michael-smiley-make-guest-appearance-series-8/

So it's Moffat being cute with names, or him being especially cute with some actual color themed arc in the show.

• Locked thread