Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Aatrek posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the original run of the show, but it kind of pisses me off that they would relegate McGann's regeneration to a webisode.

Well, it's more than most of us would ever have expected him to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Aw yeah, time for that Dylan Moran/Bill Bailey/Tamsin Greig TARDIS team.

Stephen Mangan would be an acceptable alternative.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Carole Ann Ford has been really active in the Doctor Who community lately. I guess it wouldn't make much sense to give her a part these days. Her story kind of finished up, they'd have to find a way to write in another Timelord, and realistically, she'd probably have regenerated. Still, it would be nice if they could give her a chance at the role again, especially since she feels like she didn't have the opportunity to do her best with it before. :unsmith:

If you really wanted to do a Susan story, it'd be conceivable that she lived a hard but relatively safe life helping to rebuild Earth and is now towards the end of her first life and ready to regenerate purely from "old" age like the Doctor towards the end of Bill's tenure. The whole thing would be pretty fanwanky and navel-gazey and probably never actually be made but it would be a nice way to return to the series beginnings and could play pretty well as some introspective development for the Doctor, too. Would make for an interesting mirror with the Doctor looking almost as young as Susan did when they parted ways, and she older than he was at the time.

I don't know that I'd want them to do it, but Carole Ann Ford is fabulous so I'd go for it anyway.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The "controversial" thing is probably just the whole 'previously unseen regeneration' thing they seem to be doing with the Hurt Doctor.

Though as I said in the other thread, I'd totally be down with Bradley and Grant popping up.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Dr. Who

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Kylie Minogue for Doc 12. Female, not from the UK, will be a ratings boon if Voyage of the Damned is anything to go by.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tennant prepping his pointing finger for a western adaptation of Ace Attorney.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pinboard in the back: Kamelion, Ace and Mel (or The Rani pretending to be Mel, though it looks more like just Mel) visible.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if she is just the Tardis in human form and using Rose since she was Bad Wolf.

She's Omega, having taken Rose's form since it was imprinted on the vortex during the whole Bad Wolf deal.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Riptor posted:

What where

Here.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"You're the Sisterhood of Karn, keepers of the flame of utter boredom."

"Eternal life."

"That's the one."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"I'm a Doctor, but probably not the one you're expecting."

wrrrrrrrreyng

Moff you magnificent bastard.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nah, they're recycling the Shada footage again. The technicians he mentions are the video technicians that cropped the footage for widescreen and did the HD conversion.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Renzian posted:

Oh, also! Totally forgot; remember ages ago when we saw a screenshot of Coal Hill Secondary School sign (where Ian and Barbara taught), and it said "CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNORS: I. CHESTERTON"? I think we might just get an Ian cameo! At least, I hope :) It'd be perfect, tying the show back to its beginnings within the show (like they already did that with the docudrama, but I mean in the show having that connection and linkage made would be great). It'd also be interesting if Smith met Ian, considering Ian never learned about regeneration. But this is getting ahead of ourselves - for all we know, the sign may be the only cameo we'll get of him in the special.

Pessimist (realist?) BoB tells me it's probably just a neat little visual reference in an establishing shot that won't lead to anything more substantial. Ideally, for me, we'd see both William Russell and Carole Ann Ford as Ian and Susan in this, even if it was just for a scene each that doesn't really matter to the overall plot. It'd be fanwanky, but there's no harm in getting a bit fanwanky in the celebration of fifty years of the show, especially when fanwanky means revisiting the two remaining member of the original core cast.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xillah posted:

So what happened between the last episode and the 50th anniversary? I thought the doctor and Clara were stuck in that vortex or whatever it was?

Nothing in the episode actually suggested they were stuck. They probably just strolled on out after bumping into the War Doctor.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Well there was the whole "Clara if you go in there you will die." thing that never got addressed.

It... did, in Name of the Doctor? The Doctor goes in, pulls her back together, and they're preparing to leave when they come across the War Doctor.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

His character from Pompeii is a distant ancestor of the Doctor's human mother :can:

Maxil and the Doctor are cousins.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

She was a suddenly appearing old friend the Doctor has who we've never seen before.

See, I like the whole "here's some old friends of the Doctor's that you've never seen before" thing. The idea of showing that he has a big life outside of what we see on the TV show is kinda blunted if you just keep going back to that one group, though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Angry Walrus posted:

Jenny is pretty much pure Moffat-woman so she sucks.

She died well in Name of the Doctor. Shame Moffat couldn't let her keep that.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

So the rumour going around is that Danny Pink is the Master. Yeah, no. Probably.

What a load of bollocks. He's clearly the Rani.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Bring back the Voord.

Za is no leader!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Including Yartek, leader of the alien Voord?

His action figure could come with a big stick accessory.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Life is a lemon and I want my regeneration back.

I like Clara (and am mad jealous of all the cute clothes she gets) but I think it's an appropriate time for her to leave. She got the short end of the stick with the Ponds sticking their nose into the first half of series 7 cutting her story with Smith kinda short but she was good with Capaldi last year and a second season with him would be good for her to go out on.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

omg omg omg omg

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Body horror please. Scary terrifying body horror.

Father must see my uniform

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

This is much less exciting than it just being a story with the old ones

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
i know it's only like a fraction of a second but that shot of the Cyberman is really effective

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Let the Paternoster gang jump over to Big Finish where they rightfully belong. We got Jago & Litefoot & Strax....give me Vastra & Jenny & Quick next.

Vastra is in a story in the next Churchill set.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Watching homophobes on social media melt the gently caress down over Bill is really giving me life. Like...do these people really spend their daily lives in a state of constant fear that the gays are taking over television?

Especially over a show whose whole ethos is "approach the other with kindness. Even if they are scary ancient lizard monsters, they probably have a legitimate grievance you should listen to instead of just trying to blow them up." Like what are those kinds of people getting from Doctor Who?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Christ. :cripes: Yes, don't be greedy, gays! You got Clara! And Captain Jack only 8 years ago!

Clara who had a series long arc centered around her heterosexual relationship. But they slipped in that one line about her snogging Jane Austen! Totally equality there!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I would like the next Doctor to be female or a PoC or both but the twelve (e: all thirteen; sorry Sir John! (though then there's David Warner and Geoffrey Bayldon as well...)) previous white dudes have all been splendid chaps so I'd live with them going with that again.

e:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seriously, Aidan Turner. They'll install a copper bath in the TARDIS console room where he'll ruminate in every episode, and his billowy shirt will be perfect for running down corridors.

Hmm, yeah, this would do nicely

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 5, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Timby posted:

According to some sources, Susan is appearing this season.

Oh gosh, proper Tenth Planet Cybes and then the possibility of this. Be still my Hartnell fangirl heart.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. The Cybermen aren't really a big deal in the episode itself. Much like DiH and DW.

Moffat raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Thin Ice and...?

World Enough and Time was also the name of the C. Bakes story from Diary of River Song 2

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Forktoss posted:

I can't wait for George Takei's guest appearance in episode 11

I mean yeah it's a literary reference so the show reusing the title doesn't mean anything, it's just funny that it's going to the same well so quickly given River Song 2 only came out a few months ago. Or at least that's the deepest I'm thinking about it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

I don't know how I feel about this. I kind of liked the idea of him popping in properly in Day or something when he was first cast as Hartnell in the docudrama and I was high on anniversary hype but I'm much more ambivalent towards the idea now.

Regeneration is already a built in recasting method so that the Doctor can survive beyond any one actor that I feel like recasting specific Doctors is a bit wrong and missing the importance of what each actor brings to their individual incarnation. I dunno.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If Bradley is in the Christmas special but is actually an evil robot duplicate rather than the actual first Doctor as was the original plan with Hurndall in Five Doctors then maybe I could jive with it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The knot heads are such a brilliant image of a Mondasian Cyberman in progress, its a shame the episodes themselves are probably going to be an overstuffed mess instead of being a focused story about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Some bad news: they have shots as well of modern Cybermen as well as the Cybus ones, so between that, 2 Masters, and Blue Guys on a 400 Mile Long Ship Orbiting A Black Hole we can expect the Mondasian Cybermen to get short shrift. :(

As soon as we saw modern Cybermen on the set reports I began to check my expectations in terms of the Mondasians getting a good, focused story. The fact that they're sharing a two parter with both other Cybermen and the whole Simm Master returning/multi-Master thing has me entirely resigned to just hoping it ends up an entertaining mess.

• Locked thread