Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gau posted:

Count me as one of the people who wants Hurt to be the ninth incarnation. The idea of Eight fighting in the Time War always just struck me as...goofy.

In Nine's first appearance we know he didn't fight in the Time War as he sees his new face for the first time in the mirror at Rose's apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EvilHawk posted:

He never actually says "new face" IIRC (and I just watched the episode a few days ago, so I hope I didn't miss it). He looks into a mirror and comments on his appearance, but that doesn't mean it's the first time.

Uh, he directly comments on it, even says "shame about the ears."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TL posted:

Has there been any established criteria as to which Doctor was around the longest? For example, Eleven has been around over 200 years now, since it was established he ran around for like 200 years before going to Lake Silencio the last time.

RTD retconned his age. The 7th Doctor was 953 years old in his first appearance, Ten claimed to be 906 in his final outing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

I bet the real reason he never went home if he could help it is because he knew his old school bullies would give him a hard time about it. You know, "There's the Doctor; he's barely been around for a millennium and he's already gone through most of his regenerations! Hahahahaha!"

Don't you remember when he went home in The Deadly Assassin?

"Have you had a face lift?"

"Several."

Something I liked about the old series is that Gallifreyans could recognize each other despite changing bodies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As much as we'd like to forget her, Six had Mel with him at the end of Trial.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I think I'm literally the only person in the universe that likes Mel.

Yup. Still better than Mels though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bullshit. Cut him in half and count his rings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't the Mail known to be full of poo poo though?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I'm off to cry a bit. Is Moffat leaving too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Porkchop Express posted:

Jesus this is terrible, now I wonder who they will have replace him? Hopefully they choose wisely!

It'll probably be Rupert Grint. He's very vocal about how he wants the part and since I loving hate him he's a shoe in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Porkchop Express posted:

The article mentioned Damien Lewis, and while I don't think that's very likely, I would be 100% ok with that choice.

I'd punch as many babies as Satan required to make this happen but I think he's still tied to Homeland?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Hugh Laurie.

All my hopes and dreams.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teek posted:

"The Valeyard" is the Doctor's maleness and thus evil side, he'll be expelled, paving the wave for the Doctor to take his rightful place as the woman he was meant to be.

Only in a world where Marti Noxon is the show-runner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will believe there's a McGann regen scene when I loving see it. Bleeding Cool swore up and down that there was a CG'd Eric Roberts to Eddie Izzard Master regen scene kept under wraps back before the Mast actually came back and like always BC was full of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gau posted:

So far as I can tell (and I've looked), there are no "levels" of Doctor Who canon. It's pretty much just "was on TV" and "was not on TV." Correct me if I'm wrong about this wacky time-travel show.

The story I heard was that the comics guys were like "uh, no, we are not doing the Time War, we cannot even begin to do that justice."

There's also a shitload of stuff written for the TSR Doctor Who RPG back in the 80's that nobody acknowledges.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Carole Ann Ford has been really active in the Doctor Who community lately. I guess it wouldn't make much sense to give her a part these days. Her story kind of finished up, they'd have to find a way to write in another Timelord, and realistically, she'd probably have regenerated. Still, it would be nice if they could give her a chance at the role again, especially since she feels like she didn't have the opportunity to do her best with it before. :unsmith:

They could cast her as the elderly Rani before she regenerates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wolfechu posted:

That's always an odd sort of statement from a British actor his age, and seems like they're trying too hard to not know what it is so people will stop asking. It's just within the realms of possibility that he detests watching TV and always has, but it'd be like claiming he doesn't know what Casualty or Coronation Street are.

It's like people who say they have never seen Star Wars. Filthy liars, every one of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jose Mengelez posted:

Not that I recall.

Of all the actors I haven't heard of I think Freddie Fox might be a good fit. But with 2 movies and a handful of television appearances under his belt, even he might be too high profile.

Eccelstone had made plenty of film and tv appearances on both sides of the pond prior to taking the role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blasphemeral posted:

Is there a reason so many people spell it Ecclestone? At first I thought it was a singular typo, but I've seen it that way a lot of places. It's clearly supposed to be Eccleston.

It's because of this guy.

Ecclestone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

00Kevin posted:

That kind of round mantle to the left of the Dalek in the second picture looks like it could be Gallifreyan. John Hurt is the Time War Doctor.

Yeah I see it, a few Timey Lordy looky stuff in the background.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cross-Section posted:

But it looks like the other trailer they screened (the one for An Adventure in Space and Time) did get leaked, so it's up in the air as to whether or not footage of the 50th Anniversary trailer will eventually make it out there as well! :shobon:

In other news, I am loving psyched for AAiSaT :rock:

Oh wow...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mokinokaro posted:

I honestly wish Moffat would troll the speculators by getting some unknown extra in a Doctorish outfit for a single sneak peak trailer scene.

Or someone REALLY well known like Patrick Stewart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

All the reports are definitely making me think that they are going to finish Eleven in the 50th, and have the Christmas special introduce the new doctor.

I don't want him to go. :(

Probably but we at least get some Matt Smith in the Xmas ep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

I'm thinking we won't, the 50th will probably see Matts exit.

I'd love a couple of specials with the first Doctor (played by Bradley) and Tennant before jumping into 12, definitely won't happen though. For a show based around time travel it would be the closest the audience could get to experiencing it themselves to see new adventures involving those doctors. Not crossovers, just unseen adventures being broadcast (like live action audio books)

I'm pretty sure we've heard Matt talk about filming the Christmas special a few times now. I mean, unless he's been conning everybody and that's why he shaved his head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GonSmithe posted:

He shaved his head because he's playing a creeper in Ryan Gosling's directorial debut.

I am aware of this, but you'd think if he still had BBC commitments they'd have thrown a fit about him shaving his hair off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laivaren posted:

Didn't he have a pretty big role in one of the seasons of Torchwood? I doubt it's him, people probably started betting on him, since he was in World War Z. "Ooo he's british, maybe he's the new Doctor?"

He had a recurring role on Skins, that's where my girlfriend recognized him from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Let's not judge the Hurt plotline before it even happens. I know Moffat has been off the rails a little lately, but we know next to nothing about it, including whether it is even a retcon.

It's William loving Hurt, how can it be bad?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

I'm sure he'll spin poo poo into gold.

I'm just afraid he'll have to.

We both know it's the latter but I don't care. William Hurt is awesome no matter what.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pops Mgee posted:

When did William Hurt join the cast of the 50th?

Where was I talking about the 50th? I was responding to a statement about the Hurt plot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

John Hurt's a fantastic actor and even if his part is just to walk on, say "I'm the real Ninth Doctor. Everything you know about the numbers after Eight is wrong, so take that, continuity nerds. By the way, I brought River back to life and now she's my daughter and cousin as well as my wife. Arrgh, I have stomach pain!" and then an alien pops out of his chest, we'll have had ten seconds of good television.

I think it's likely to be a little convoluted, but Moffat could also pull something fun off, you never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5Bl9mwl-Y

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whoops!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

"RTD ruined Doctor Who by having the words 'TO BE CONTINUED' appear over the closing credits, but this is totally acceptable and awesome." is one of the weirdest complaints I've ever heard from Doctor Who fans by the way.

Didn't they do that a bunch in the original series? I mean poo poo, they ended on cliffhangers all the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

The scream of the end credits starting just as the Daleks pile out of something and start yelling "EXTERMINATE!" is like the most Doctor Who thing I can think of. I suppose they're just complaining about the actual words "To be continued"? Weird.

That is indeed dumb. I'm fairly certain there was at least one TBC in the Classic Series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LEAVE ME ALONE GUYS I WAS TIRED MY DAD GOT HURT REAL BAD YESTERDAY AND I DIDN'T SLEEP.

Geeze!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

Sorry to hear it man.

I hate you.

He's fine now, sitting at home with 5 broken ribs and a wicked bruise on his hip. He fell off a ladder and missed a concrete slab by inches. Dude's stressing me out!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used Blink to scare my now girlfriend into staying the night on our 4th date.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Scandalous! Half my enjoyment of this thread is watching your red text change Rhyno.

I had a new Archer themed avatar to put into play but this one is hilarious.

I mean, everyone knows I was just trolling right? I'm not serious about this in any way, you guys figured that out weeks ago right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Did your father turn into Peter Davison?

With my luck he'd regenerate into Graham Norton.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

Or a woman.

So like I said, Graham Norton.

Edit: I AM JOKING I AM AWARE OF GRAHAM NORTON'S PENIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomtrek posted:

Some new Day of the Doctor images (including a couple that were in SFX):

Nice to see 10's TARDIS again, I wonder if they just went to the Doctor Who Experience and filmed it there?

(from http://doctorwho.tumblr.com/tagged/the-day-of-the-doctor)

I'm fairly certain that's what they did for the Doctor's Wife.

• Locked thread