Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Count me as one of the people who wants Hurt to be the ninth incarnation. The idea of Eight fighting in the Time War always just struck me as...goofy. I like Eight, but Paul McGann vs. Daleks is just not something I can envision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Can you throw us a link or a source or...something?

Edit: Never mind, it's just speculation. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/02/who-will-be-the-thirteenth-doctor/

Gau fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 3, 2013

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

As far as I'm aware, the audio adventures are generally treated as "more canonical" than either the comics or the novels but to the best of my knowledge they don't have an account of Eight's regeneration or anything like that. As a matter of fact, the official portrayal of the Eight to Nine regeneration was originally offered to the comic strip before demands from the higher-ups put paid to it.

So far as I can tell (and I've looked), there are no "levels" of Doctor Who canon. It's pretty much just "was on TV" and "was not on TV." Correct me if I'm wrong about this wacky time-travel show.

The story I heard was that the comics guys were like "uh, no, we are not doing the Time War, we cannot even begin to do that justice."

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Astroman posted:

...said nobody, ever. Seriously? I have yet to hear that from the most sperging of nerds.

Allow me to introduce you to tumblr. I've seen at least a dozen "reblog if you'll stop watching Doctor Who if the Doctor regenerates a thirteenth time."

On second hand, let's not.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Doctor Who fans: crying over imagined slights to a TV show that never existed.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Astroman posted:

"You've redecorated. I don't like it."

I straight-up guffawed at this line. He delivers it so well.

God drat, this is going to kick rear end.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

marktheando posted:

Oh god, there's that c-word again. Why do people give a poo poo about something being 'canon' or not? It's literally the most meaningless thing in the universe.

What people mean by "canon" here is "shown in the TV show." As in, there are categories or levels of canon, and many people consider "shown on TV" (or alternately "shown in the revival series") a superior form of canon.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

marktheando posted:

:confused: Yes I know? What makes you think I didn't understand this? That kind of sperging is exactly what I was complaining about.

Canon has nothing to do with personally accepting things - there is an awful word "fanon" for that. Canon refers to the idea that a body of work with multiple authors can have multiple levels of authenticity, based on various factors (nearly always the medium of distribution, but not always). For example, the commonly accepted canon policy among fans right now is something like this:

A1. Revival series
A2. Classic series (including TV Movie)
B. Big Finish audios
C. Novels not based on broadcast stories
D. Comic books and other spinoff media

Z. Explicitly non-canon outings, such as the Dr. Who movies, Scream of the Shalka, and Curse of the Fatal Death.

So, we can say that nearly everything is canon, but that some levels of canon are more "official" than others. If something is said in a Big Finish audio one way and then shown differently in a TV episode, the depiction in the episode takes preference. The idea that Eight fought in the Time War (as apparently shown in some comics) is now non-canonical due to the recent minisode.

If that's all "too spergy" for you, well then, man, I dunno. I like to nerd out on things. If you don't, cool.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Yeah, even in the first episode we find out that entire worlds disappeared when the Time War was locked away. It wasn't just taking a Death Star to Gallifrey and Skaro. The Doctor took a box knife to reality and carved out the parts that needed to go.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

I suspect this will be overruled by DotD, but comics sources indicate that the process was:

Step 1. Create a device out of a demat gun and the Great Key of Rassilon
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Destruction on a galactic scale

There we go.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I loved the Last Day short. I think it neatly captured the horror of the Time War for those people who weren't, you know, Time Lords.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Double post, but I found this: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/50th-anniversary-surprise-revealed-55730.htm

quote:

The Huffington Post reports that Tom Baker will be making an appearance in the special.

They quote the man himself as saying: “I am in the special. I’m not supposed to tell you that, but I tell you that very willingly and specifically; the BBC told me not to tell anybody but I’m telling you straightaway.”

Baker calls the circumstances of his appearance “extraordinary.”

“It worked out very well, I think, judging by the reactions of the technicians,” he adds.

A BBC representative told the site: “As with William Hartnell’s recent appearance in the last season finale, anything is possible in Doctor Who. But nothing is certain.”

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

marktheando posted:

And the Tom Baker thing has been posted already.

Sorry!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

The debate is sort of academic until something is shown on screen.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Yes yes, we all know he's good at writing fiction.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Once, just once, I'd like them to do a regeneration like Six to Seven, except on purpose. Have the Doctor regenerate a third of the way in, just to surprise the hell out of all of us.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It's going to be a pair of aviator glasses, a t-shirt that says "I heart River" and a pair of boxer shorts with "Women are needy" written across the crotch. A "Steampunk" charcoal wristwatch that summons the Paternoster gang will be included.

Guy A. Person posted:

He also wears a bathrobe over all of this and is constantly carrying a White Russian instead of his signature sonic screwdriver. Also instead of Capaldi the Doctor is now played by Jeff Bridges.

I don't know how much I would pay to see this, but it's a lot.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Rita Repulsa posted:

Does torchwood still exist now that the cybermen didn't invade in the first place

Dear God, I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Well, that happened.

• Locked thread