Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

B I'm very curious to know what this 'interesting' vantage point is. That and I agree that mortals usually have more freedom, so we're less likely to have to deal with Celestial bureaucratic silliness going down that road.

Fingers crossed we're a woman this time too, just for a change of pace!

Also, I always wanted to use this so I may as well get it out of my system now: Hee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

EVG posted:

B!

I like the idea of playing a woman, but only if we live in a society where we would actually have the ability to haven some impact. So..... Probably should be a dude.

Lilith, Eve, Jezebel, Mary, Deborah, the Queen of Sheba and numerous others would like a word with you. :colbert:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

EVG posted:

I'd also vote for a return to GBS, if the mods care at all about our opinions.

I never would have found the first game here, and wouldn't have found THIS one if it wasn't linked in the MadGod thread.

As for the girl thing, I am aware of many historical/biblical women who made a difference, I was just saying that with no knowledge of the setting yet I didn't know if that could be the case.

Name one influential woman from the last game... Except Amytis (or, arguably, Beaky!) :)

Honestly, that was kind of why I was hoping for a woman. We had a very male heavy game last time, and the other GBS CYOA is also based around a male lead (Mark Marxist, hee! I love that guy). Change of pace is nice!

I'm really not sure what you're worried about in regards to setting though. There's Biblical and literary precedent for active women––even moreso if you delve into the Apocrypha and folklore––so there's loads of material for Diog to work with. If anything, I think the game would be more interesting if he pulls some of this stuff for reference, since it isn't trotted out as often.

Since the world is in Diog's hands, it's also worth noting we could just as easily end up in a matriarchal culture as a patriarchal one. Even if we do roll patriarchy, Diog will doubtless provide us with ways to work around things.

This:

You wake up in a tent in a patriarchial society. This sucks, because you have a vagina. Do you:

A: Fetch Water
B: Sweep the Dust
C: Flee from Spider
D: Swoon

Please note that your choice will not effect the adventure, as you cannot have one. Because of the vagina.

^^^This ain't gunna happen. Trust in Diog.

Anyways, I'm am 100% sure Diog is going to give us an amazing ride regardless of sex, gender, or anything else. It's really just a minor 'Ooo, I hope this happens!'. Besides, for all we know he's planning on having us play out the story as a cat and this is an entirely moot point! :shrug:

Fingers crossed we get back to GBS as well, as much as I love this sub-forum!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Hot Yellow KoolAid posted:

After being stuck in a Desert all last game, I would like to Vote for D.

My feelings exactly. Time for a little water! D

That, and the sea offers boundless opportunities for exploration later on!

EDIT: OK, apparently we wouldn't be in a desert with the other choices. But I still wanna be a pirate, so my vote stays where it is. Yaaaaar. :yarr:

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 21, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

ZachRyker posted:

y'know what, i'm gonna go with A, since Pirate King does not appear to be an option with D

Diog just said that piracy doesn't exist yet...not that we can't invent it! :yarr:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

my dad posted:

We're going to invent the printing press, aren't we? :smith:

This legitimately made me laugh out loud. Hee!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Jumping on the H train! :bandwagon:

We're too small to take this one on by ourselves...let's let Uncle step in!

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. H will probably just inflame Dad more and keep him from backing down as a matter of machismo principal. C may not be effective, but he may respect us more for it at least and pause. C, and if that looks like it won't win, then D.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 22, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

G: We should shout "HELP!" while pointing towards home.

It's quick, to the the point, and impossible to misunderstand or screw up. It will also make Uncle MOVE. Once he starts heading towards the village he'll see what's going on and be able to take care of things well enough.

Besides, 'help' is also ambiguous enough that we won't be seen as actively helping or condemning Jalitha later on.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

B With any luck it'll get Dad to chill out, not really bother Jalitha herself (since her religion apparently doesn't care about the hair thing), and maybe even get us a couple points with Ashera.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 23, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Walkin Goon posted:

Voting C.

No offense to our fish god, but I feel like crying and making this into even more of a scene would demoralize Jalitha more, and further sour the opinion of her in the eyes of our father.

We are not hurt, we are okay. Let's show we know she meant no harm from it, even if our father won't accept that.

Eh...yeah, but in fairness, Jalitha did pull a seriously dick move cutting our hair when she knew it was prohibited in the faith of the village. The whole thing was a bit Edgardo Mortara for my taste. Absolutely we need to keep her from being beaten again, but I don't feel any reason we should avoid crying out to our god on her behalf.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

1. B. Jorah Good role model AND giver of useful skills. Plus he has enough religious knowledge that he can keep us filled in on most important things.
2. A.Dad I bet the esoteric knowledge he provides will be really useful later. He can easily fill in any gaps of our religious education Jorah can't provide. Besides, you don't have to be a good guy to be a good teacher.
3. C. Pagam If we spend time in the interior later, knowing how to hunt will be handy.
4. H Swimming Alone We live on the beach, we want to figure out boats. We should try to be excellent swimmers.
5. F. Alone in the beach Fishing skills are handy
6. D. Mom Learning how to make ropes and nets can't hurt. Plus, mom seems genuinely kind.
7. G. Alone in the forest Hunting skills are next handy
8. E. Jalitha What can I say, I don't trust her for knowingly turning us into a pariah!

2. A. Dad may be a dick, but Ashera and his whale grandchildren seem pretty cool. I'd rather trust in the fishies than in a sky giant that sounds suspiciously like a (notoriously pissy) one god. Just because Jalitha is kind of nice (when she isn't screwing us over) doesn't mean El is the kind of guy we want to buddy up with.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 24, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Ixtlilton posted:

1. BAFDCEGH
2. F

edit: Also, :psyduck: at you guys who don't trust Jalitha.

It's extremely clear that cutting hair is a well known taboo in the village. Jalitha understood why our Father was pissed as soon as he came in, and--given her punishment--was likely forbidden from cutting her own hair prior to this episode (signaling that, yet again, she would have known and understood the prohibition). Yet she cut our hair anyway (while singing strange words, likely to her foreign god), even though this act was...

A) In complete violation of our people's faith.
B) Guaranteed to bring down the wrath of our zealous father upon us. A father who already didn't like us and is prone to violence, something that (very sadly) nobody knows better than her.
C) Very likely going to turn us into a social outcast.
D) Being performed on an innocent child incapable of giving consent.

Why on earth would we trust her? Because she's nice when she's not actively screwing us over?

In fairness, I assume she probably did what she did because she loves us and wanted to 'save' us from being a Priest to a heathen god, but that doesn't make it any better. She put us in a really terrible position in a way that I have a hard time seeing as having our best interest in heart.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 25, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Tremynci posted:

No, it's not. Jalitha is a slave -- and a slave who has managed to hang onto her own religious beliefs for at least 10 years so far, despite being beaten for them at every opportunity.

Yes, she's been in the village a long time since she was shipwrecked/sold/whatever. She speaks the language, and is accustomed to living in a village whose values are based on very specific ritual and ceremony. Not only that, she's raising the son of the Priest and living in his house. She may not believe in the village's faith, but there's no way she's unfamiliar with critical taboos, especially any involving child rearing.

At a minimum, Mom and Dad would never have let a 'sea witch' help raise his son without at least making sure she understood how not to corrupt him for eternity.

Tremynci posted:

Not only it is unlikely that a slave would be given any particular insight into the dominant religion

I disagree. There's no reason a slave would not be given insight into the dominant religion, if only to make sure their heretic beliefs don't spread. Heck, converting heathens has often been the very justification for slavery's existence in many societies. Nor was it unusual for people who began as slaves to be adopted into tribal societies, and encouraged to adopt the dominant religion as part of that process.

Basically, I have a really, really hard time believing she didn't know what she was doing.

She may not be a terrible person, but at best she placed what she perceived to be our spiritual welfare above our physical welfare. At worst, she used us as a pawn to get back at dad knowing it would hurt us. (Which, again, doesn't make her a terrible person. It makes her a complicated person. But one I'm not keen to hang out with.) Kid me wouldn't want to hang out with the person who helped wreck our social life either, FWIW. :shrug:

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 25, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Ask how he reads the weather from the tides. Or if that's too big of a topic, at least how to tell if a storm or catastrophic event is coming.

Edit: And ask about the voice too; can't believe I left that part out!

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 25, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

1.no
2.yes

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Tell him. Also, ask how his marriage to mom came to be; I'm curious about our mother.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Diogines posted:

You reach into a crevice in another rock and begin pulling out snails. Your father frowns slightly at this question. "When it came time for me to pick my bride, Asherah declared I was to take my pick from the women of our village. And I did."

Interesting. Ask why he chose our mother.

Also, Yes. Devote time to our studies. I really hate to give up time alone in the ocean or with Jorah, but we're already falling behind in our apprenticeship and I suspect the skills our Dad has to teach us will be really valuable later on (like when we try to survive our manhood ritual, for example.)

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 26, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Hmm...just thinking out loud here: I didn't make the connection until now, but I wonder if it's a coincidence our name is Og, ala King Og?" He survived the flood of Noah's arc; I wonder if that's the storm that's coming. :shrug:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

the_steve posted:

D

As tempting as A and taking on some missionary work sounds, I imagine this path will lead to years of Jalitha and friends trying to convince us that our silly fishgod is nothing more than a magi and a pretender and otherwise not real.

And odds are, if Jalitha's people win this, our people are going to be captured and enslaved. We need to get them to safety.

^^This.

D

Cowards! At least try to save your tribe!

Besides, how would Jalitha have ever seen the ritual or know what it contains? We only have her word that we're cannibals, and I don't trust her as far as I can throw her.

EDIT: To clarify: Why is it not possible for the cannibalisim to be metaphorical? With the sea 'eating' people who cannot complete a ritual task and end up drowning? There's zero reason to assume literal cannibalisim is happening.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 27, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

A Darker Porpoise posted:

"Hey uncle Jorah, uncle Pagam, Mom have fun dying peace out! These guys seem real cool!"

But we're backwards savages and these new guys are totes civilized! :saddowns:

Besides, trusting explorers has never ended badly for a tribal people, right??

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 27, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

changing my vote from d to NOT A

1) It's short sighted to leave right before we start learning serious skills.

2) This won't be our only chance to go. Why not wait a couple more turns and see if we can't leave without getting our friends and family killed in the process? Even just from a coldly practical standpoint, there's no way abandoning the fish god's people in a crisis isn't going to bite us in the rear end later. :shrug:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

maxhush posted:

Grab the tooth, run back to the village!!

Asherah will provide us another teacher, then we will avenge our father!, vote VENGANCE!!

(Come on guys, why are we turning down the opportunity to eventually have Asherah fueled demon powers?)

Seconded! But run to the beach instead of the village. The fish god will show us the way; then we can lay waste to the heathen jerkfaces in style. :yarr:

(Edited post to include button icon and change running location to the beach)

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 28, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Just want to quote this to highlight that running towards the coast for any reason may not be the best of ideas.

For ordinary folks, sure. But for the chosen one of the Fish God? I doubt it. If anything The Big Fish will take it as a sign of our devotion and be more likely to spare us from the coming destruction.

That's my theory, anyways.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

I was Literally Dumbstruck that people are voting to go peacefully with the aliens who just straight up murdered our father, who we Love. They're probably going to slaughter our entire village, literally our Entire World, on a LIE, told by a twist asking us to go with her.

E

e: Sorry about all the capitalization and underlining but...goddamn.

Preach it, Brother.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

my dad posted:

For starters, 140 is a rather small genepool. There's either a lot more outside contact than we've seen so far or our people are more incestuous than the Habsburgs. That reminds me, we're a potentially incestuous tribe worshipping a cannibalistic sea creature that will one day rise from the depths and do terrible things, and we now have a reason to believe that our people are actually cannibals as well. We're living in the prehistoric Innsmouth.

Also, we've been treated pretty badly by everyone except for our uncles and our (real) mom, and have just seen our father turn into (more of ) a monster and die. Why wouldn't we want to hug Jalitha and get the hell away from our village?

It was said earlier that brides come from neighboring villages to avoid the kind of inbreeding you're talking about.

As far as Jalitha goes, she cut our hair despite knowing this would enrage our father towards us. A loving mother protects her child from abuse, they don't paint a goddamn target on their forehead. And now she's happily pouring gasoline on a tense situation instead of diffusing, causing pointless bloodshed on both sides. Yeah, her life has sucked and she has reason to be pissed, but goddamn.

Anyways, our people may not have been warm and fuzzy towards us...but they're still our tribe and all we've ever known. And we're not even going to lift a finger to try and help or get back to them? Especially after a major trauma like this? We're going to abandon them for the person whose yelling just helped trigger our father's death? Really?

:psyduck: on people talking Jalitha's word on the cannibalisim thing as gospel too, when she has no way of knowing what happens at our manhood ceremony and has only a childish understanding of her own theology (let alone ours).

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 28, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

This is a woman that was enslaved, raped and then watched her child be beaten by her rapist. She tried to do something special for her child that meant something spiritual to her, and got beaten almost to death for it. I don't think she's the one that should be blamed in that situation. Maybe the, you know, violent rapey douchebag should get some blame? It doesn't even matter that our Father is dead at this point, they'll just send another poo poo head priest from another village. We need to get out of here and away from the insanity.

Oh I'm absolutely not absolving Dad of blame. There's no excuse for how he has treated Jalitha, it's beyond the pale and I completely understand why she'd be out for blood.

That being said, putting us in Dad crosshairs like that was still a terrible thing to do, precisely because she knows how brutal he could be. We're lucky she didn't finish the haircut, otherwise Dad may well have preferred to see us dead than so defiled. Taking her vengeance out on the rest of the village instead of just Dad...yeah, that's pretty much a dick move too.

Anyways, this is all increasingly a moot point. All I'm getting at is: This situation is a lot more complex than Jalitha = Good, Village = Evil Cannibal Assholes.

Overall, I just think at this point we'd have much more reason to trust our tribe than someone who we just saw as having an active role in the events that lead to our Dad's death. (regardless of how valid her actions may or may not be from our outside POV...you can probably make a pretty solid case for panicked desperation that way etc, but kid us wouldn't really get that.). :shrug:

EDIT: If I sound like I'm coming down particularly hard on Jalitha, it's just because the idea that she isn't purely good is more of a minority POV, so I argue her flaws (and why we wouldn't/shouldn't trust here fully) more forcefully. I really don't think she's a terrible person, just a complicated one that has made some questionable choices.

Really, every character so far has been complex and I don't think anyone has been purely good or evil. Dad beat us and inexcusably harmed Jalitha, but he was utterly devoted to the village's welfare. Jorah was kind, but never stood up for us or Jalitha. Jalitha loves us, but also put us and innocent villagers/foreign tradesmen in harms way. Mom was sweet, but absent. It's messy and complicated. Kudos to Diog for managing to make things so complex (in a good way).

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 28, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

We should also stick our tongue out at Jalitha every time she calls us sweetling. We're a big boy now, not a tea cake. :colbert:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

SerSpook posted:

Hahah, I've been joking about it in IRC the last few updates but been half-serious, but we totally are nephilim. They are talking about a "child of El" now, and we were never promised to be a mortal, just in the mortal world.

The people we're going with are also MASSIVE and makes me think all of them have a bit of sky giant in them.

Makes sense. King Og was rumored to be the last of the Nephilim, if I remember correctly.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

maxhush posted:

Jorahs coming to get us - The outsiders have killed his brother; A priest of Asherah, stolen his son and taken Asherah's tooth, their most holy relic. The great hunger will guide them to us. Pagams going to go Predator on these demons from the North.

Say;

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

:colbert:

Clever indeed. Let's do it.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Eh, I actually voted for it because it could be interpreted as either sassy or innocently stating the obvious, depending on your POV (as well as being something a freaked out 11 year old might well actually say!). I figure the King either laughs, gets concerned about our poor schooling and explains why our theology is bad, or gets pissed off. Either one will tell us lots about his character and the character of the kingdom. If we get killed over this, I'd be very surprised, even by bronze age standards.

I completely understand if people want to play it safe though and am willing to change my vote to a less provocative version of this. Or anything else realistically without our 11 year old abilities. As lovely as the poem is, I don't think the people voting for it have spent much time around 11 year olds lately. They can barely recite simple poems they've worked on for weeks when they're calm and reciting for their parents. Parroting a complex rhyme right after a major trauma, and in front of monsters and a king who just walked out of a story? No way. We'll make a total hash of it and probably insult everyone by accident. And pee ourselves. That too.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 29, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Alright, I feel this is kind of important to note:

Right now, the king doesn't know our dad is the cannibal who is now lying dead on the ground after attempting to kill him with witchcraft.

I really don't think that now is the time to inform him of that fact. Or, possibly, ever. If these people were so angered just by the suggestion of cannibalism, they won't take it well that we're the son of the priest; we'd be at their mercy, while now we have their pity and generousity as a "lost son" of their own people.

Let's not throw that away just yet. :colbert:

Ah, that's a really good point.

Changing my vote from maxhush to: "El is the storm that comes."

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

OK. I strongly suspect El is going to be a dick. Much more than Asherah, the occasionally cruel but always straightforward force of nature. I also feel our #1 long term loyalty should be to the fish god and our tribe.

That being said. I don't think there's any way we're going to get out of this without a hair cut. The king will not accept out heathenisim. Jalitha won't let us avoid it either; if she was willing to chop our hair off when success may well have meant our death or exile, she's not doing to step back here. And nobody is going to be able to rescue us while the king is around. So: We thank the king and let him change our name/cut our hair. But we hold Asherah in our heart where the king cannot see him.

Also voting to insist Jalitha to stop calling us sweetling, x1000.

EDIT: For the record, I still think Jalitha is full of poo poo about the cannibal thing. :colbert:

EDIT EDIT: Actually, I think I changed A enough that it counts as a new one. So changing this to F.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 30, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

2. Look her in the eyes and ask if she saw this with her own eyes. I'd like to know how she came by the knowledge.

I don't think she's necessarily outright lying, but I think she may have misinterpreted some things. FWIW I don't particularly care if we are cannibals. Eating powerful warriors etc to consume their strength really isn't that unusual, even if the weirdly high level of cannibalisim Jalitha is describing is (which is part of why I'm still slightly skeptical. I think there may be a wee bit of exaggeration going on here. poo poo, we'd have like a population of zero eating people left and right like that.)

That and because cannibalisim is just such a classic justification for demonizing tribal peoples, I can't help but raise an eyebrow and want as much confirmation as possible before taking this as cannon.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 30, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

2. +

We may not have a chance to talk to the King much when we hit the city, so definitely a little quality time with the big guy. And it would be nice to spend time relaxing with a kid after all that trauma. Besides, a fellow child is more likely to give us blunt assessments of the world we're about to walk into. May not be worth much now when we can only use basic words, but later on...

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Yay! A puppy! :3:

Tell him we can't wait to have a dog. Obviously his name must be Beaky!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Sigh...okkkkkk, I'll be a responsible CYOAer and change my vote from Beaky (the fun option) to Jorah (the serious option).

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

A Terrible Person posted:

Take a couple of days off and get yourself well. You've been doing this for nearly a year now. I don't think people will kill you if you take a break for a bit.

This x2000. Thanks for all the work you put into this, Diog. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Voting NOT A + J.

All y'all abandoning Ashera are going to feel pretty foolish once El starts asking us to stone people for adultery. Just sayen. :colbert: