Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

A

Also, close the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

EVG posted:

B!

I like the idea of playing a woman, but only if we live in a society where we would actually have the ability to haven some impact. So..... Probably should be a dude.

We don't really know if society here is necessarily patriarchal. Maybe Diog can clarify.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Keep in mind it sounds like we're not going to be at the top of the totem pole, so it should be a very different experience as a divine being if we go with "A".

I'm quite optimistic it would be interesting playing as some lesser divine power playing at heavenly political intrigue. I'm guessing we'll at one point have the choice of choosing whether or not to join Not-Lucifer's rebellion.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 20, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

What shall we do with the Drunken sailor, early in the morning?

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 21, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Theglavwen posted:

I'm surprised B is getting so few votes. Don't you people want to travel? See the world? Free to roam hither and yon, our only limit the horizon?

With D we'll probably travel a whole lot anyway, alone at our own pace, without worrying about, protecting and dealing with a metric fuckton of nomads.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

H Daddy probably does not give a gently caress what we say, so let's find a big person to deal with him.

I just hope there won't be a plot twist where we find out Jalitha really is some kind sea witch who want's to eat us.
changed my vote.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 22, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

SerSpook posted:

I'd actually suggest that people seriously consider this as an actual possibility. We don't know poo poo about this world really, and I highly doubt our caretaker hasn't noticed the hair thing when we did at four years old. Or that she didn't receive some instruction in this.

Obviously beating her isn't a proper response, but it is entirely possible she had ulterior motives when it came to cutting our hair. Our uncle is capable of restraining our father to get proper answers regarding the hair-cut, whereas no one else suggested can do so if necessary. Our mother might be able to restrain him too, but uncle is the strongest man in the village.

We are four years old and cannot hope to physically restrain an adult man. If we manage it, it will purely be because El or the god our people worship empowered us to do so.

An interesting point. I'll go with the :tinfoil: route for the hell of it and vote I. Now i'm just hoping we don't lynch an innocent person. Changed my vote again because I'm an indecisive moron! :downs:

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 22, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Alright changing my vote as well from I to F.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

the_steve posted:

G. "Save Jalitha!" While pointing frantically

Should be effective, voting for this.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Hey Diog, do these childhood choices actually affect our future personality, abilities and 'stats' like some people are theorizing, or should we just concentrate on solving situations the smartest way we can think of?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

C.

gently caress it, i have no idea, so i'll go with the kind-of-safe option.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

"Discover the adventures of a pimp whose bling and smoothness is destined to shake up the very heavens themselves."

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

1. Abstain, because I simply can't decide :saddowns:

2. L. I'm hoping this doesn't screw us over in the long run if the gods are in a free for all war or El and Asherah don't get along.

Is it possible to ask Jalitha next chance we get what El and co. think of Asherah?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I wan't to know what Jalitha thinks about our gods, and what are the diplomatic relations are between El and co. and other gods like Asherah.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

An ordinary question: What kind of Demons of the seas exist and how do we watch out and protect ourselves from them?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Diog, QUESTION:

The introduction in your OP, "On the first day, etc.", is that accurate? Or do I need to consider you an unreliable narrator from post one?

He most likely won't answer that question.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Coq au Nandos posted:

Actually, you know what? This is Guy Time. We need to have a Man Talk.

Ask Dad how to get our gently caress on.

:shepface:. You know, we've already finished the story about the god of hedonism.

e: vvv I meant to say that the wacky poo poo should be left for the sequel, and not done here where it's 10 times easier to gently caress up than the previous game (where we hosed up anyway).

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 26, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

This isn't a vote so much as a request.

Take the religious lessons more seriously

+1

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Yes. If this is a game about gods, we should do our best to at least be a descent priest/prophet for one of them.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

OhYo posted:

A. Yes. I don't mind if we ask or if Shushan allows a day of rest from our studies.

Assuming most voters wish to invest Og's time and effort in the village of Athar (and not elsewhere), we should go along with our father Shushem's upbringing to become the High Priest of Athar. If we decide Asherah is real or not, that will be for us as High Priest to gradually change the hearts of the villagers or not. Reason being, Shushem and the so-called Asherah have no intentions of seeing Athar grow or prosper.

I hope you are catching up on Diogines' sentiment that Athar and her peoples are very primitive and see it content to stay that way for generation after generation. If that's something you would like to see continue, go vote that way, but Og has been given one life to influence this world. I urge you voters to use Og's time and effort wisely to the prosperity of their village and the land. Education, culture, influence, power, commerce, renown, diplomacy or whatever you desire for Og, please realize that studying the ways of Asherah will bring us to a seat of influence among the people of Athar, but Asherah the fish may eventually become the stumbling block on the way to our eventual goal. I vote to study to become the best High Priest Og can, if only to claim that seat of power to his own.

I have a feeling that if we won't go to the party, Diogines will bring the party to us, probably some disaster which will disrupt the status quo and force us to travel the world.

e: welp, here's the party... D Changed vote.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 26, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

It's probably wiser to let dad handle it and only do something if he instructs us to.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

G. Ask Jalitha why did she say that we are cannibals. Changed vote.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 27, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Bolded parts very relevant. We have no other siblings, because our mother is barren. Jalitha is our mother. Bet you our mother miscarried and Dad was banging Jalitha instead. Hence the unhappiness in our mother's marriage to Dad.

We are also taller than other kids our age. We look different.

Jalitha has been accused of being a witch on numerous times. This song she sang seems to be a ritual, consecration or rite of manhood or something. She knew what a risk she took in doing this ritual, she knew that cutting our hair would not go unnoticed and that our father would likely beat her very severely, he beats her for praying to El after all. So why was it so important to her that she perform this ritual, if she's just our nurse maid? Savages mean nothing to her.

Our father will return because he is the priest of Asherah. Asherah, who always hungers. Not a fair stretch to believe that those who do not return are cannibalized. Jalitha has lived for years here, she would have picked up knowledge of this rite of passage from the other women.

Asherah is a real god. Jalitha is our real mother. Picking a side is a bad idea.

I vote that we move in between both parties, but out of grabbing reach. Try and calm them down, hold our hands out and physically separate them if possible. Then, openly declare that we are STAYING HERE. Go up to Jalitha and whisper in her ear that "We will follow you when we are a man, stay safe mother". Then stay here.

+1 for plan Lanky Coconut Tree

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Um guys, may I suggest that there is a possibility that the the tooth might be trapped/cursed/act as a GPS tracking device for a very pissed of Asherah? Option H seems way too much 'superior' to option A.

I vote , Trying to attack dudes with actual frickin' metal swords without any actual priest powers is suicidal, it didn't help Shushem who had genuinely impressive gently caress-you-with-lightning spells. And there's nothing left for us here, we would be even more of an outcast then before, and it seems Jalitha really is our mother.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 28, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Crudus posted:

Also consider that earthquakes cause tsunamis. We need to get the gently caress away from the ocean.

Just want to quote this to highlight that running towards the coast for any reason may not be the best of ideas.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

You guys might want to come to an agreement whether to vote A or H. If everyone votes for one of them, then it'l probably win, but if you people are split between A and H, then both options will lose, despite the general sentiment being that we should leave with the outsiders. Or maybe Diog will count both A and H together towards leaving with Jalitha, and take the tooth if there are more H then A votes.

e: grammar :downs:

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 28, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

I can't emphasize this enough

They are explorer-traders looking to discover new things/people to trade with, tried to offer wine in good faith, and beheaded dad in self-defense after he started to throw loving lightning at them.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Look at it this way, we can go with the outsiders, grow up among them and learn their ways, find out what everybody's intentions are, and then use that to exact revenge upon the king/Jalitha/whoever we want. maybe we can return one day to the coast to unite the Asherah-worshipping fishing villages into one great tribe (using the tooth as some sign of credibility), and with the help of potentially greater education received from the Baitel people, kick some major rear end.

Now, I'm not sure how likely that scenario is, but if you guys are so freakin' revenge-hungry, that's probably the best way to go about it. We don't know how likely we will still be welcome among our own people after this (or if the Tsunami will render them practically non-existent), and if we're exiled, we don't know how to survive in the wilderness.

e:

SerSpook posted:

eta: And I think this really bears mentioning. This is definitely out of character knowledge, and I guess feel free to disregard it. We know how the world was made, and it isn't how it happened in Asherah's myths. We see the world being made in the OP. We also know this was going to be the angelgame, and it's based on Dante/Milton. Asherah, IMO, is a straight-up demon and sticking around to worship him will not end well for us. That's also why I think we need to abandon that tooth, like right now.

The thing is Diog was asked if the creation story in the OP is what happened or is he being an unreliable narrator, and he gave a deliberate non-answer to keep us guessing. All though my gut says that there are probably bigger proverbial fish in the proverbial ocean than Asherah, and frankly, maybe even more powerful than El and co.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 28, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Voting for what SerSpook said. The poem thing, while very nice, is just overkill at this point, we're also 11 years old and in no way do we know the language well enough. (changed vote)

Diogines posted:

A question, so I understand your response.

You understand that this is intentionally highly provocative and insulting, as the implication is that you are calling him evil or a monster, right? I only mention that because I suspect many people might not realize that and only voted it because it was funny? I am not sure. This is also a good time to quote something from the OP.

I just want to be certain you understand that this response is intentionally provoking/insulting the largest, most well muscled man you've ever seen (who ate lightning and lived, after it melted a hole in metal armor) and who may be a king. If you want to say something which is very probably inflammatory, by all means, choose the path you want to take, but I don't want anyone to be shocked by the outcome of their decision.

Another thing, I know you guys are quite bitter we didn't do the infinitely stupid option of attacking a 7.5-foot tall guy with an actual sword while we are 11 years old and armed with an ersatz knife, but could you try not to sabotage the game for everyone else? I'm not saying that is your intent this time, but this is an incredibly bad idea and we get very little for it, we also might get Jalitha in trouble for that kind of thing (although that just might motivate you guys even more to insult him).

If you guys are so desperate for vengeance, at least wait for us to grow up and learn some actual leadership/fighting/whatever skills, and if we decide our character harbors a grudge against this king guy, we could try to instigate some kind of revolution, or go back and unite the Asherah-worshipping people and wage a full-on war (although since they have no experience fighting other people I don't know how likely that is).

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 29, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Theglavwen posted:

"poo poo, if we say anything slightly provocative to this 'benevolent king' as a confused 11 year old who just watched his dad beheaded, it might turn out he's a royal dick who beats kids. Don't rock the boat you fools!"

Who the gently caress ever said he is 'benevolent'???

From his point of view, he just got out of a fight he didn't really want to have and he saved one of his kind and her son from (what would look like to anybody to his culture) demon worshippers, while he was just looking for trading partners. I'm not saying he we should kiss his rear end, we should just try to fit in until we grow up and are in a better position to be sassy/exact precise revenge (if you guys will still want to do that by then). Being insulting will get us nothing and just put us into trouble, or just put Jalitha into trouble, which would be pointlessly petty. If you guys want to 'test his character' we will see what kind of person he is soon enough without the need to dig our own grave.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I'm changing my vote to-

Diogines posted:

The update is done and will go up soon.

Eh, nevermind.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

A Changed vote

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 30, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Are the Athar people truly cannibals? How did you find out?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

changed from A.

"Why did you cut my hair despite knowing that doing so would cause huge problems for us?"

e: If i can't loophole finding out why she cut our hair by formulating it through a question then ignore it.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 30, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Hug her.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Is there any point trying to talk to the adult outsiders who aren't Tudiya? If we can't understand them, I don't think we can find out any interesting information/wisdom.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

SerSpook posted:

As far as J goes, I think it is probably a good idea to get to know the future king. Tudiya is a good man, and deserves our thanks. However, Danal is our future and will likely be someone that we journey with often.

+1

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Theglavwen posted:

I'm suspicious of this Labaras dude; how oddly placed he seems in an otherwise El-centric narrative. Going to be keeping an 'eye' on mentions of him.

He's probably the Jesus/Moses Analogue of this world.

Also, I'm extremely wary of praying to both gods, and not deciding now who to believe. I'm worried that will make us seem indecisive and of weak faith to both gods, causing both of them to reject us. The 'praying to both gods' option wasn't even suggested directly by Diog, not this time, not even the last time while we were still living in Athar.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Mr Apollo posted:

Since this vote seems to be setting up long term events I would like to point out to those of you who are voting for both that in Dante's Inferno the cowardly who aren't on either side have a most unpleasant existence.

To add to what I said earlier, either go full El, or full Asherah, trying to get liked by both is probably not a good idea, they are probably at odds with each other anyway.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

Sure it's a bad thing. To us, 21st century modern people. To Og/Enkidel? If his society was cannibalistic that taboo surely wasn't as ingrained into him as it would be to us. His mom was surely against it but for the great majority of Og's life she was just some nice lady that lived with his uncle. Same thing goes with his dad beating him for disobedience--that's a bad thing to us, (well, bad but not shocking to me since when I was a kid it was something pretty much all parents did) but to him it would just be a "normal" thing for a village elder to do since he doesn't have any outside reference to indicate otherwise.

I think people voting to just change cultures like we'd change our socks are undervaluing the impact of Og's upbringing up until this point. Our whole life we've known nothing but the sea and Asherah and life in a primitive fishing village. Jalitha and her culture was definitely a wildcard, but given her limited contact with us during 90% of our "aware" life its impact would be minimal. Unless Og's extremely unlike the majority of kids ever, regardless of how he was treated he probably loved the people he thought were his parents more than Jalitha--they were the ones that raised him, not her. The sudden revelation that she's in fact his Real Mom wouldn't be cause for him to go "oh, OK, well gently caress my 'fake' parents/culture/life then." Hell, kids that are outright abused and not fed and have to be taken away by CPS are often distraught at having to be separated from their parents even though it's the best thing for them.

Based on what we know about the game in a larger-picture point of view it may well be smarter to go side with El since he's probably more powerful than Asherah, (then again, who knows what the real story is?) but it's a lot less realistic as something that you'd imagine what a kid in Og's shoes would do. It's a much more metagamey decision than something that actually makes sense.

Diog mentioned multiple times that beatings were something only our dad did only to us (and Jalitha), so Og/Enkidel would have definitely noticed something was weird, and nobody in the village really even liked Shushem that much. Also, I think you're way undervaluing Jailtha. She isn't some 'nice lady', She is the prime source of love and affection in Og's/Enkidel's life until now, paying us more attention than even ex-mom (now we see why), we might not have voted to spend that much time with her in the 4 to 10 year period, that's because we thought we needed a male role model in the form of Jorah, and we spent time with Shushem out of a reluctant sense of duty (People were thinking "Since we are the next priest it would be irresponsible not at least try to learn his lessons", not "Oh yeah, dad is totally great!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Let's hope the :rolldice: is good and Danal really thinks it's an accident